Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

I'm quite happy I was wrong on this one, but I do find it weird in retrospect that their pre-release description of Thavnair was all 'this is where Dancers be from' and no 'this is Alchemist Country', when Endwalker's actual story flipped that around completely; I'm pretty sure there's not even a named dancer NPC in the expansion, or a single line of extra dialog for you being a Dancer (which probably puts it in the minority of jobs, EW loving loves recognizing when you've done a sideplot). Meanwhile, a significant chunk of Endwalker's story is powered by Thavnairian alchemy.

Still a little mad that the actual story for alchemists was just a cooking storyline, though.

But honestly, I'm not sure why I bither with this thread. I say literally one word against a game and poo poo explodes. And of course then I can't help but take the bait, and my posts are read very differently than intended.

Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I bought that Theatrythm Final Fantasy game and it just has so much content. I only meant to play for a little bit but I couldn't stop and ended up playing for like 5 hours.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Vitamean posted:

I yearn for the day when we can all refuse to get on cleretic's wild ride

As do I, as do I

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it is i who will be the first person to win an argument online

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

it is i who will be the first person to win an argument online

No, it's going to be me.

Cleretic posted:

But honestly, I'm not sure why I bither with this thread. I say literally one word against a game and poo poo explodes. And of course then I can't help but take the bait, and my posts are read very differently than intended.

It's a little bit more than a word.

Honestly, it's the fact that you write long posts based on scanty information about games you haven't played, and I don't recall as much as a "whoops lol" from you when reality proves different than your suppositions.

I don't think the thread would be the same without your posts, so I hope you continue to bither with us.

Mega64 posted:

It's OK to be wrong. I've been wrong tons of times in this thread!

That's my secret, Cap: I'm always wrong.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 21, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

It's OK to be wrong. I've been wrong tons of times in this thread!

Not me!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I take it Pentiment is worth playing? It slipped under my radar and I had completely forgot it existed.

Pentiment is insanely good and my favorite game I’ve played this year, having played a lot of great games this year (like SOP). it resonated with me more than I had any belief it could.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Cleretic posted:

I'm quite happy I was wrong on this one, but I do find it weird in retrospect that their pre-release description of Thavnair was all 'this is where Dancers be from' and no 'this is Alchemist Country', when Endwalker's actual story flipped that around completely; I'm pretty sure there's not even a named dancer NPC in the expansion, or a single line of extra dialog for you being a Dancer (which probably puts it in the minority of jobs, EW loving loves recognizing when you've done a sideplot). Meanwhile, a significant chunk of Endwalker's story is powered by Thavnairian alchemy.

Still a little mad that the actual story for alchemists was just a cooking storyline, though.

when youve spent years on this forum refusing to engage with other people because you are so convinced of your own innate rightness that you talk at people instead of to them and ignore anything they say that even hints at a challenge to you, you should not be surprised that they start treating you similarly

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cleretic posts... are good.

Sometimes hilariously wrong, but good.

Also, decent youtube content

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pentiment, just like everything Obsidian does, makes me want a new Pillars of Eternity game where I always add mercenaries based on final fantasy jobs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Cleretic posts often make me roll my eyes, but I love Cleretic and hope they continue to post in this thread forever. It wouldn't be the same place without them.

And hell, they're not as bad of a poster as Cythereal. So there's always that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is a final fantasy (thread) without a final fantasy villain

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Cleretic posts often make me roll my eyes, but I love Cleretic and hope they continue to post in this thread forever. It wouldn't be the same place without them.

This.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shard posted:

I bought that Theatrythm Final Fantasy game and it just has so much content. I only meant to play for a little bit but I couldn't stop and ended up playing for like 5 hours.

It's great because the more you play the better you get at it too. Sometimes I come back to it after a few weeks and I can perfect chain an Ultimate that I was getting only an A on before.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shard posted:

They keep adding more! I take my switch to work when they've forced us in office and it seems like I get new dlc nearly every week. This week was octopath traveler music which bangs. Unironically probably going to be my game of the year (though SF6 might beat it out, maybe armored core).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Final Bar Line needed a bigger character roster though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Much like Metroid Prime 1 made jokes about Space Pirates trying and failing to replicate the Varia Suit's many functions, I want future Final Fantasy games to try and recreate a human character as large as Barret Wallace again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Much like Metroid Prime 1 made jokes about Space Pirates trying and failing to replicate the Varia Suit's many functions, I want future Final Fantasy games to try and recreate a human character as large as Barret Wallace again.

Hugo Kupka is right there

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Final Bar Line needed a bigger character roster though.

It really didn't, it took me like 50 hours to get everyone to 99, and then another 40 after that to get just my main team to 9 stars (paine, yuffie, zidane, fran yes please give 10+ chest every map thanks).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Man you all have made Stranger of Paradise sound really really good. Why is there so much good final fantasy in the world and I only have finite time?!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lines posted:

Man you all have made Stranger of Paradise sound really really good. Why is there so much good final fantasy in the world and I only have finite time?!

It's the work of Chaos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Failboattootoot posted:

It really didn't, it took me like 50 hours to get everyone to 99, and then another 40 after that to get just my main team to 9 stars (paine, yuffie, zidane, fran yes please give 10+ chest every map thanks).

I just wanted more of my favourite characters in the game. There was no Sabin, or Quistis, or Basch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hugo Kupka is right there

The 1997 FF7 art threw me off. I remember Barret standing out among the cast as if Zangief were in Xenoblade. After googling who that was (I was assuming a FF14 character) he seems Dwayne Johnson sized so I don't think he's truly that insanely massive in comparison :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't want to push Cleritic off of this thread because she does have insightful things to say and good fun posts. The issue is just that you can't keep making snap decisions about things from essentially vibes based on scant information, refuse to acknowledge any indication that maybe your first impression was wrong, and continue to double down in every situation involving said thing for the rest of forever. That's not what critical thinking is.

Like, hey, I actually think one of Cleritic's snap random impressions of FFXVI was accurate in that Jill kind of sucks, but she sucks in the way a lot of bland FF heroines suck and not some kind of new way caused by any unique problem FFXVI specifically has.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

It's not just you this happens to, it's this forum in general lately.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

absurd takes are very funny, I encourage them

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

OhFunny posted:

It's the work of Chaos.

Hearing a lotta bad things about this Chaos guy. Maybe someone should do something about him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's not just you this happens to, it's this forum in general lately.

:hai:

aegof posted:

absurd takes are very funny, I encourage them

anyone whose takes are worth respecting has to have at least a few wild takes

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

The 1997 FF7 art threw me off. I remember Barret standing out among the cast as if Zangief were in Xenoblade. After googling who that was (I was assuming a FF14 character) he seems Dwayne Johnson sized so I don't think he's truly that insanely massive in comparison :v:

for the field models they gave most characters in the game a generic body type and then occasionally made them round like palmer and wedge or muscular like dio and mukki

then they just made barret like 4 times the volume of the generic body type, just an absolute brick shithouse. in every other depiction like battle scenes and FMVs and everything after the original game he is merely a very large man as opposed to looking like 7 foot tall sumo wrestler

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As opposed to Ward from FFVIII, who is actually 7', making him one of the tallest playable characters in the series (above Kimahri and just shorter than Fran, though the latter has her ears extending her measured height).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I don't want to push Cleritic off of this thread because she does have insightful things to say and good fun posts. The issue is just that you can't keep making snap decisions about things from essentially vibes based on scant information, refuse to acknowledge any indication that maybe your first impression was wrong, and continue to double down in every situation involving said thing for the rest of forever. That's not what critical thinking is.

Like, hey, I actually think one of Cleritic's snap random impressions of FFXVI was accurate in that Jill kind of sucks, but she sucks in the way a lot of bland FF heroines suck and not some kind of new way caused by any unique problem FFXVI specifically has.

I think Jill’s cool. I like the swashbuckling vibes of her outfit.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Sleng Teng posted:

I think Jill’s cool. I like the swashbuckling vibes of her outfit.

I need her outfit in XIV or I will die

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

I need her outfit in XIV or I will die

Yes please, really all of the outfits I would like to see in XIV.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I enjoyed FF16's combat system but for people wanting 'more FF' it does feel disappointing that there are actually few games actually doing what FF does on a story and character level, while having graphics that are not pixel art. Not to say that pixel art is bad, just that it would be nice to have the term "FF-inspired RPG" mean "FF7 to FF10 inspired, including their look" instead of "FF5-inspired".

Like, I like Persona 5 but sometimes I want to be characters who are not just teenagers and who do stuff outside of a single country.

Tales of Arise was OK on this front until the bosses got more and more HP spongey with not much you can do about it and then once the game reaches 'part 2' the story starts falling apart.

I'm told I do want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 apparently though?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bewilderment posted:

"FF7 to FF10 inspired, including their look" instead of "FF5-inspired".

Like, I like Persona 5 but sometimes I want to be characters who are not just teenagers and who do stuff outside of a single country.

You do realize FF8's entire party is teenagers, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want (mid game spoilers) adult Joshua’s outfit in FFXIV. The top especially would be some great Red Mage gear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I enjoyed FF16's combat system but for people wanting 'more FF' it does feel disappointing that there are actually few games actually doing what FF does on a story and character level, while having graphics that are not pixel art. Not to say that pixel art is bad, just that it would be nice to have the term "FF-inspired RPG" mean "FF7 to FF10 inspired, including their look" instead of "FF5-inspired".

Tales of Arise was OK on this front until the bosses got more and more HP spongey with not much you can do about it and then once the game reaches 'part 2' the story starts falling apart.

I'm told I do want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 apparently though?

The issue there is that you really can't go back to PS1-era easily. Trying to make something low budget looking is honestly probably harder and takes more effort than making it modern looking, and creating an RPG on its own is already a hugely expensive and time consuming process. FF7 and such made heavy use of prerendered backgrounds and incredibly simple models but that is because they were being designed for an entirely different period where such things were considered great looking.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lines posted:

Hearing a lotta bad things about this Chaos guy. Maybe someone should do something about him.

Just texted someone who can take care of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
His name is Jack and he is here to wack. Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bewilderment posted:

there's been a few ps1/prerendered background-inspired jrpgs out there, it's not a totally gone genre. i'm kind of curious about the fantasian port which i think should be sometime next year given how apple arcade exclusivity has worked so far, apparently it's pretty brutal in an interesting way: https://toucharcade.com/2021/08/30/fantasian-review-iphone-ipad-apple-tv-final-fantasy/