Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress me, that's amazing.

How do I attach the The Rock Clapping gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You could also just go to Michaels and get some liquitex gloss varnish and also some matte varnish

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

You could also just go to Michaels and get some liquitex gloss varnish and also some matte varnish

Yah and it's like $8 for a small bottle that will last a while

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Arcturas posted:

I see everyone talking about Pledge floor varnish, but I can't seem to find it on Amazon for less than like $60, which seems like not what you're actually talking about. Would something like QUICK SHINE 64 oz. Floor Polish Finish, available from my local Home Depot for $12-ish, be the same? I'd love to have a paint-on gloss varnish but I am not thrilled with the idea of spending $60 for it.

Hard to predict.

As I understand it, people started using Pledge floor polish as gloss varnish because it was cheaper and more widely available than actual gloss varnish at the time (especially in places without a lot of art supply stores), while somehow kind of randomly having a specific product formula that made it work really well as gloss varnish. Other floor polish products may or may not work as gloss varnish, as the formulas vary between companies. Pledge itself has also changed its product names and formulas since that era (and as I understand it are pretty annoyed at fielding questions from hobbyists who want to know if their floor polish product will still work as a varnish for painted minis).

Nowadays we have a better established hobby and art supply infrastructure, so it's pretty easy to find actual gloss varnish.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

I see everyone talking about Pledge floor varnish, but I can't seem to find it on Amazon for less than like $60, which seems like not what you're actually talking about. Would something like QUICK SHINE 64 oz. Floor Polish Finish, available from my local Home Depot for $12-ish, be the same? I'd love to have a paint-on gloss varnish but I am not thrilled with the idea of spending $60 for it.

It's out of production.

The green bottle Quick Shine is just as good, it's just slightly less glossy (which is usually nbd if you're hitting everything with a matte topcoat after). Just be sure to mix the quick shine 50/50 with water. They're a very similar formula, the Quick Shine is just a milky white (it dries clear) to discourage children from drinking it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hell yeah

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

In progress half of the Uhaan Solban (guardian of the evening stars, yet to put anything but primer on the morning stars guy yet)

I need to edge highlight this lad’s black parts with something to make them less boring. I was thinking the same red that I used on his arms and shoulders? Thinking it might turn out cool like these fellas’ middle parts

Or should I do it with grey like the above fellas’ side parts? Or maybe a toned down gold paint to match my trim?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

Hard to predict.

As I understand it, people started using Pledge floor polish as gloss varnish because it was cheaper and more widely available than actual gloss varnish at the time (especially in places without a lot of art supply stores), while somehow kind of randomly having a specific product formula that made it work really well as gloss varnish. Other floor polish products may or may not work as gloss varnish, as the formulas vary between companies. Pledge itself has also changed its product names and formulas since that era (and as I understand it are pretty annoyed at fielding questions from hobbyists who want to know if their floor polish product will still work as a varnish for painted minis).

Nowadays we have a better established hobby and art supply infrastructure, so it's pretty easy to find actual gloss varnish.

In the UK there is Quick Shine Multi Surface Floor Finish which is the latest incarnation of Pledge/Klear/Future. It's amazing and costs like 90% less than an art product. Buy a litre which will last you a decade.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painting some more 6mm shanty houses

a little shanty:

graffiti covered building:

taxi building and some more graffiti:

i cant even paint regular sized miniatures that well. i hate you so much

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Those slums look nice.
What kind of 6mm game you play with those, or are those just a fun project?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You are a true master. I work in the arts, I've seen a lot of paintings, including tiny ones, I have a degree in art history, and your work always impresses me.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
ya'll too kind!

Issaries posted:

Those slums look nice.
What kind of 6mm game you play with those, or are those just a fun project?

they are a gift for a friend's upcoming 40th birthday. he plays alot of battletech so its for that

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's out of production.

The green bottle Quick Shine is just as good, it's just slightly less glossy (which is usually nbd if you're hitting everything with a matte topcoat after). Just be sure to mix the quick shine 50/50 with water. They're a very similar formula, the Quick Shine is just a milky white (it dries clear) to discourage children from drinking it.

Children of course famous for never drinking things that look like milk.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah these days you can grab gloss varnish for miniatures at reasonable prices anywhere. No need to dick around with floor polish.

Edit: op is so out of date it’s turned to dust and it’d be faster to buy a new one than try to bring it back to life.

(It’s a paint reference)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

Children of course famous for never drinking things that look like milk.

:shrug: I don't write the laws.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

i cant even paint regular sized miniatures that well. i hate you so much

Ya the checkers on the Taxi are such a flex.

gently caress you, Nebale.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Acrylic floor polish isn't just gloss varnish, it also has flow improver mixed in, which is why it's a good additive for diy washes

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, they're self-leveling. It's really nice.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I bought a couple sets of these brushes from Amazon and they are loving great beater brushes, super pointy and snappy and I love painting with them.

https://a.co/d/jcsx230

Hope someone else gives them a try and likes them as much as I do

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Wangsucker 69 posted:

I bought a couple sets of these brushes from Amazon and they are loving great beater brushes, super pointy and snappy and I love painting with them.

https://a.co/d/jcsx230

Hope someone else gives them a try and likes them as much as I do

I knew before I opened it they'd be the transon brushes.

It's ridiculous how good those things are.

They have a watercolor set with multiple brush types that's also clutch if you need some square, filbert, or fan brushes .

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I'll have to give those a try. For a little more expensive but still in the "cheap and surprisingly excellent" category, I love these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN38NTW/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I kept looking at this guy and wasn't happy with a few details on him, namely the axe and the base. The axe was boring looking and the base was too black. There was also some other room for additional cleanup, so I went through and made some fixes.

I saw a post on Reddit earlier today where someone had this bright purple base, and I thought it was really interesting looking and would possibly be a solid color to add to my model, so I painted his base purple and added some purple and magenta pigment powder. On top of that, I made the axe blade fiery, the idea being it would add more visual interest to the axe itself without taking anything away from the rest of the model.

I think I succeeded! I'm much happier now when I look at him.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Virtual Russian posted:

Edit: If someone that has worked in minis has something to chip in feel free, my experience is all in the very adjacent art casting industry.

Just chiming in to remind myself that this requires a larger effortpost, but working in minis is a bunch of self-marketing in hopes of getting a working relationship with a company that likes your style, selling occasional one-offs, or apprenticing at one of the bigger studios and learning their methods. Plus nowadays most stuff has to be done in digital, with either fast releases and style chasing (if you’re working on STL-only) or in a ver strict style for eventual plastic molding for one of the few companies that does injection molding. It’s really rough, especially if you aren’t much for self-promotion.

Here’s one of the goblins I sculpted, got cast in metal, and painted, with the casting done to a high standard by an excellent company and the other bits in my usual mediocre way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tell lovely Dave I love him.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painting some more 6mm shanty houses

a little shanty:

Are these cast or 3D prints? I’m looking for some 10 mm sci-fi terrain that isn’t Gothic ruins or ginormous skyscrapers and this looks perfect!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Southern Heel posted:

Are these cast or 3D prints? I’m looking for some 10 mm sci-fi terrain that isn’t Gothic ruins or ginormous skyscrapers and this looks perfect!

these are 3d prints from The Lazy Forger. lots of Etsy sellers make em if you don't have a printer

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Acrylic floor polish isn't just gloss varnish, it also has flow improver mixed in, which is why it's a good additive for diy washes

One other thing I've learned is they should be used neat for gloss coating because adding water or whatever to it can affect the finish and levelling properties.

It's great when you can spray it straight out of an airbrush without needing to mess about.

For the haters out there

800ml Quick Shine - £12.99
950ml Liquitex High Gloss - £33

Also it's what the scale modellers all use and if there are a group who are anal about their products it's them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So to recap I've been doing Thousand Sons with Vallejo Metal Color through an airbrush, and have been doing touchups with Citadel Stormhost Silver. How are Vellejo Game Color Silver and Liquid Silver? Liquid Silver being alcohol based sounds like it might be tricky to work with due to drying so fast.

Also what's a good crackle paint for bases? I'll probably be painting over it so colour isn't important really, is it better to go for a non-hobby branded one?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wait so I can spray klear / quick shine without diluting? I’m struggling with orange peel on scale models using Vallejo gloss through an airbrush

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone know what AK Odorless Thinner actually is? IE, is there a non hobby branded product I get so I'm not paying $7 for 4 ounces of it?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

EdsTeioh posted:

Anyone know what AK Odorless Thinner actually is? IE, is there a non hobby branded product I get so I'm not paying $7 for 4 ounces of it?

I buy Mona Lisa brand in a huge container for cheap (Canada). They sell it at michaels and you can use the 30 percent off 1 item coupon they gave on their app.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Gamsol is another quality brand of odourless thinner.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lumpy posted:

Gamsol is another quality brand of odourless thinner.

Just checked and michaels is 32oz for 20 bucks, before the discount. That's hard to beat (here at least...)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Zombie snake from my Oath project.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Southern Heel posted:

Wait so I can spray klear / quick shine without diluting? I’m struggling with orange peel on scale models using Vallejo gloss through an airbrush

Yes, it's already water thin. If you somehow get a clog, white vinegar dissolves it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Calling this one done.

She's a Deathwatch marine who can multi-role as a Kill-Team Sgt or a Fighter and if she's in an Intercession Team she can lead it as the Sgt or act as the Gunner.

Or she can just be a standard Intercessor Marine/Sgt in a battleline squad or Fortis Kill-Team in 40k. She can multi-task, unlike her male counterparts.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 21, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
She just plasma'd that guy to death :hellyeah:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I kept looking at this guy and wasn't happy with a few details on him, namely the axe and the base. The axe was boring looking and the base was too black. There was also some other room for additional cleanup, so I went through and made some fixes.

I saw a post on Reddit earlier today where someone had this bright purple base, and I thought it was really interesting looking and would possibly be a solid color to add to my model, so I painted his base purple and added some purple and magenta pigment powder. On top of that, I made the axe blade fiery, the idea being it would add more visual interest to the axe itself without taking anything away from the rest of the model.

I think I succeeded! I'm much happier now when I look at him.

Absolutely incredible dood

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Calling this one done.

She's a Deathwatch marine who can multi-role as a Kill-Team Sgt or a Fighter and if she's in an Intercession Team she can lead it as the Sgt or act as the Gunner.

Or she can just be a standard Intercessor Marine/Sgt in a battleline squad or Fortis Kill-Team in 40k. She can multi-task, unlike her male counterparts.

So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

So to recap I've been doing Thousand Sons with Vallejo Metal Color through an airbrush, and have been doing touchups with Citadel Stormhost Silver. How are Vellejo Game Color Silver and Liquid Silver? Liquid Silver being alcohol based sounds like it might be tricky to work with due to drying so fast.

Also what's a good crackle paint for bases? I'll probably be painting over it so colour isn't important really, is it better to go for a non-hobby branded one?

Vallejo Game Color Air have surprisingly good metallic silvers - not to be confused with Metal Color (which also are good)