Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dawgstar posted:

His slavish devotion to the Silver Age and trying to restore those particular characters was always a mystery because he didn't grow up reading those or anything, Johns just somewhere decided he wanted the most boring Flash and Green Lantern back.

Yeah, with his age I'm starting to think that it's just some contrarian streak in him that made him gravitate towards them in the first place, and then he rode that straight into Hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

he could make a series surviving on nothing but dunkin donuts while he travels to every single dunkin donuts in the US :twisted:

He could go in chronological order and be dead of diabetes before he crosses 495 into western Mass.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would like to humbly request that people who make videos where food is involved not have weird slurping and squishing noises they added in post in the video.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

I would like to humbly request that people who make videos where food is involved not have weird slurping and squishing noises they added in post in the video.

thats what people are watching the video for though

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Grassy Knowles posted:

Eek was awesome, thunderlizards sucked, I liked Lizzie McGuire, now he does live action Nickelodeon movies and a series of 3 live action fairy odd parents films?

I liked Thunderlizards :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMightyBoops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgjinJ8bU0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Genuinely, Geoff Johns as a creative head of DC comics and the film division was at the center of a lot of the stupidest initiatives and was definitely one of the bigoted pig guys dragging both the comics and films down. His only rebuttal to the allegations of bullshit racism and homophobia around the Justice League movie is that he was a co-writer on the 52 comic series, the comic series that introduced Batwoman.

That series had 4 co-writers, and you could tell whose pet charters were each writer's and everything involving Batwoman and her ex, Renee Montoya, were entirely Greg Rucka's initiative. To the point that Rucka wrote all the follow up series with both of them until he quit DC in frustration and his artist, JH Williams III, took over writing Batwoman until he also quit in frustration because DC comics refused to move ahead with an issue where Batwoman gets gay married. I wonder who was blocking that...

:thunk:

Happy Landfill posted:

I didn't know Hbomb did that. That's super cool :unsmith:

Yhara Zayd talks about The White Gaze of Hairspray, John Waters and his love of the Buddy Dean show. Really good watch. I finally saw Hairspray this year for the first time and it was a really fun time! But also...yeah, everything she says in the video. It's a fun movie/show but the blindspots are really hard to ignore in 2023. It jst ends up being another White Savior Girl Solves Racism story

I watched that, too, and it is a great video analyzing Hairspray and talking about how some of the messaging and representation has shifted over the years and across adaptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNzgyuf9yc

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 21, 2023

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok this is probably the baffling candidate for "one hit wonder", since I can recall at least 2 videoclips that got a lot of traction AND the Pavarotti and Friends collab.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's less baffling when you consider the Barbie movie is in theaters today

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Cartoon Heroes was a hit and the most expensive music video

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Doctor Jones was an anthem of my childhood.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

I will settle for videos entirely unrelated to food discontinuing the practice of close mic'd, open mouth munching of sponsored potato chips.
That's my personal zero to 100%rage red button.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

As soon as I heard Dr Jones in that video lene doing the funny yodelling of, idk, oh wah ah yee eh yo ooh yee way yeah, immediately starts in my head

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

thats what people are watching the video for though

That's unfair. Sometimes they watch it for that tiny Japanese woman showing off how much her stomach swells after she downs an entire McDonald's worth of Big Macs or whatever.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Barbie Girl has finally made it to One Hit Wonderland. I am amazed that Todd was able to put this off for more than a decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqE9B1_9TpQ

side_burned fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Johns is unusual amongst big comic book creators in that almost everything he's written was for DC and Marvel as a part of existing franchises. It's only in the last few years that he's really branched out. It just adds to the feeling that he's a bit unimaginative.

Well, also the fact that most of his big storylines he took fromr ejected Alan Moore ideas.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kunster posted:

Ok this is probably the baffling candidate for "one hit wonder", since I can recall at least 2 videoclips that got a lot of traction AND the Pavarotti and Friends collab.

side_burned posted:

Barbie Girl has finally made it to One Hit Wonderland. I am amazed that Todd was able to put this off for more than a decade.

:thanks:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

side_burned posted:

Yeah, starting to think the timing of Crown Royal was deliberate.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVbXfNdTkY

Jose does a new video on Sabrina the Teenage Witch

The version of the show that does have the best character

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Kunster posted:

Watching that video has made me realize that Aqua was apparently way bigger in Canada than they were in the US. I was between 10-12 when their first two albums came out and I remember pretty much all the songs they produced videos for in that time seeing consistent play on YTV's The Hit List. I was actually disappointed by Todd's overview of their "failed follow-ups" because he didn't mention My Oh My, one of the singles off their first album I remember getting a lot of video play back in the day.

This actually got me thinking about if this popularity difference was real or just the result of me being at the right age when their albums came out to get a lot of exposure, so I decided to check on Wikipedia. Turns out this wasn't just coincidence and Aqua was way more successful up here than they were in the US:

Aquarium reached #2 on the Canadian Weekly album charts compared to #7 on the US Billboard 200. It similarly reached #5 on the Canadian year-end charts, compared to 36 in the US.
It was their second album, Aquarius, where the chart performance differences really start to become noticeable: The album hit #3 on the Canadian weekly charts but only hit 82 in the US. It also reached #34 on the Canadian year-end charts, but failed to even place in the US equivalent.

Then this got me following a rabbit-hole of late-90s, Canadian pop music and has me looking up old videos for Prozzak, B44 and SoulDecision...

Grassy Knowles posted:

Cartoon Heroes was a hit and the most expensive music video

8th most expensive, actually!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Seriously though, the Cartoon Heroes video has some astonishing set and prop design for a throwaway pop tune that absolutely could have skated by with a cheap rear end video like Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones. I don't understand for the life of me why the record company spent that much money on it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fil5000 posted:

Seriously though, the Cartoon Heroes video has some astonishing set and prop design for a throwaway pop tune that absolutely could have skated by with a cheap rear end video like Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones. I don't understand for the life of me why the record company spent that much money on it.

Probably to try and capture that Barbie lightning in a bottle again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Most 90s European dance music has strong 1 hit wonder vibes even when the band objectively had plural hits.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

Most 90s European dance music has strong 1 hit wonder vibes even when the band objectively had plural hits.

Screamadelica rules.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Kunster posted:

God, I remember the controversy around the "undress me anywhere" line. I think I was in third grade, so naturally, that was the most scandalous thing I had ever heard in my life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I don't understand for the life of me why the record company spent that much money on it.

Because Aquarium sold 14 million copies worldwide.
Lene Nystrøm actually tried to have as solo career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8kNuxgWR4
It went badly.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's sad that more people don't know that Eiffel 65 has songs other than Blue. Europop was extremely my jam back in high school

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Aqua had three UK #1's! Turn Back Time is a banger.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sardonik posted:

It's sad that more people don't know that Eiffel 65 has songs other than Blue. Europop was extremely my jam back in high school

That was another group that saw a bit more longevity in Canada. Their follow-up "Move Your Body" made it to #7 on the Canadian Weekly charts and I remember the video for "Lucky (In My Life)" saw some decent airplay on The Hit List. Though I think the most ridiculous of their songs on a conceptual level was "My Console", which was just the lead singer listing off the names of PS1 games he likes over a Eurodance beat...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

That was another group that saw a bit more longevity in Canada. Their follow-up "Move Your Body" made it to #7 on the Canadian Weekly charts and I remember the video for "Lucky (In My Life)" saw some decent airplay on The Hit List. Though I think the most ridiculous of their songs on a conceptual level was "My Console", which was just the lead singer listing off the names of PS1 games he likes over a Eurodance beat...

WE'RE GONNA PLAY THE GAMES
THE PLAYSTATION ALL DAY
FROM METAL GEAR SOLID
TO TEKKEN 3
AND FROM OMEGA BOOST
TO RESIDENT EVIL
WE PLAY FOR FUN
CAUSE WE GOT IT GOIN ON

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

KingKalamari posted:

Move Your Body owned hard when I was a kid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kim Justice posted:

Legit great song, with the marketing bonus of being on a relatively hyped up movie soundtrack even if I don’t know if anyone remembers Sliding Doors these days.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kim Justice posted:

Honestly didn't know/forgot Turn Back Time was them. I feel like Sliding Doors was the movie Gwen Paltrow made a name for herself but it seems to be totally forgotten now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Honestly didn't know/forgot Turn Back Time was them. I feel like Sliding Doors was the movie Gwen Paltrow made a name for herself but it seems to be totally forgotten now.

It was left out and got covered in goop

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, with his age I'm starting to think that it's just some contrarian streak in him that made him gravitate towards them in the first place, and then he rode that straight into Hollywood

IIRC he wrote in as a fan to DC suggesting that maybe Superboy (who’s a clone/hybrid of Superman) could have his human half be Lex Luthor’s DNA. The editors shot that idea down since his heritage had already been established. And then Johns became a writer and promptly retconned Superboy’s human half came from Lex Luthor.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

Now, that may not be entirely fair! It could as easily be Dan DiDio, who was finally given the boot a while back.

Joe Quesada did have his flaws as an editor but those flaws at least came from place genuine affection. But Dan DiDio just seemed hate his job, the readers, the writers, and the characters all at once. Not to mention he had some just weird hand ups about some characters like John Constantine and Swamp Thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

IIRC he wrote in as a fan to DC suggesting that maybe Superboy (who’s a clone/hybrid of Superman) could have his human half be Lex Luthor’s DNA. The editors shot that idea down since his heritage had already been established. And then Johns became a writer and promptly retconned Superboy’s human half came from Lex Luthor.

lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

There was a dc editor who was so incompetent he started and wrote a mini series parodying smallville and marvel which was all his personal grievances against marvel and everything he disliked that was bad enough they fired him right before or after it ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

side_burned posted:

Joe Quesada did have his flaws as an editor but those flaws at least came from place genuine affection. But Dan DiDio just seemed hate his job, the readers, the writers, and the characters all at once. Not to mention he had some just weird hand ups about some characters like John Constantine and Swamp Thing.

was didiio behind the attempt to retcon alan moores swamp thing by changing swamp thing back into a man turned into a plant monster instead of a monster that thinks he's a man