Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

in 1929 the local sheriff didn't have an MRAP, drones, automatic rifles, or a nigh omniscient tech intelligence panopticon provided by the state fusion center

All that poo poo never stopped the Taliban. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NJersey posted:

The Taliban weren't exactly winning either, they just waited us out because we couldn't stay forever.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

NJersey posted:

Except the thing the Taliban was exceptionally good at was being able to absorb a tremendous amount of casualties. That’s the trick. Be willing to sacrifice all of your people and outlast the occupiers attention span.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Speaking of Taliban...

"Campaign officials tell NBC News that there will be a shift to less of a focus on Florida, leaner events and more of an insurgent approach."

What exactly do they mean by "insurgent" here?
Is this the dawn of Ya'll Qaida's war on civilians? Or just the revenge of Florida; return of the elderly?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

How does suing them because they're not selling land work, exactly? Someone can't walk up to you and go "I'm buying this thing of yours for $xxxxxxx and there's nothing you can do about it". Frivolous bullying and just hoping they roll over?

Reminds me of that whole 76ers / Color Star thing, where the 76ers (iirc) partnered with some company nobody knew anything about, making something nobody could identify, with inaccurate/missing/outright fabricated contact details and a loving 3D avatar generator as a CEO headshot on LinkedIn.

It's still developing!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hekk posted:

Except the thing the Taliban was exceptionally good at was being able to absorb a tremendous amount of casualties. That’s the trick. Be willing to sacrifice all of your people and outlast the occupiers attention span.

I think part of it is once you have a hostile entity killing people it's more likely to draw folks into the cause instead of away from it. So if you're the government you have to just start genociding a sector of your own population and hope that your military is willing to go along with that. The cops are basically primed and ready to do it and just need some wide scale disruption to occur for them to go ahead with it. (if you think this sounds like fantasy its basically Katrina). Honestly best case would be something like Egypt where the military pretty quickly sided with the people against the state police forces during the Arab spring etc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1682455073476038668?t=SMnTh-cU_e9NIHubySGqMQ&s=19

:roflolmao:, so when they find him guilty, he can't cry SHAM TRIAL, right?

He probably only needs to be found guilty on a couple counts to do serious time, right? I want multiple angles on him when The Mattering comes home to roost.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CBJSprague24 posted:

So when they find him guilty, he can cry SHAM TRIAL?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1682455073476038668?t=SMnTh-cU_e9NIHubySGqMQ&s=19

He probably only needs to be found guilty on a couple counts to do serious time, right? I want multiple angles on him when The Mattering comes home to roost.

It's really so they can dox jurors and threaten their families.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Can't showboat without an audience.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The lawyer knows the only way he is getting paid is those reality tv residuals

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

You have way, way more faith than I do in anyone in the Republican party right now. They have no shame and will speak any lies they want. Hypocrisy is their super power.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

So a really dumb, lovely thing in federal trials is that you can be sentenced to time for counts that you were found not guilty on, if you were found guilty on others. Here's the article on that.

quote:

Several cases are pending before the U.S. Supreme Court to bring an end to the practice on grounds it did not consider in 1997, when it held that taking acquitted conduct into account at sentencing does not violate the double jeopardy clause of the U.S. Constitution's Fifth Amendment.

Judges may do so because while juries must consider whether a criminal charge is proven beyond a reasonable doubt, judges at sentencing may consider whether facts are proven based on a preponderance of the evidence, a lower standard of proof.

Donnie generally wants the cameras on for fundraising purposes, driving the news cycle (fundraising purposes), and getting attention (fundraising purposes). Federal courts are real weird about cameras, as not having them is kinda-sorta first amendment iffy, but the Supreme Court doesn't have them and they can turn trials into circuses. I like the general standard of live, in-court audio like in a lot of the Supreme Court oral arguments.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, I just checked the tomatometers on Barbie and Oppenheimer, with most of the critics fully weighed in. I generally thought the Barbenheimer stuff was internet funny irony poo poo versus people actually going to go.

Barbie is at 90%/89% and Oppenheimer is at 94%/94%. Even the new Mission Impossible is at 96%/94%.

... how did they all apparently turn out good

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

That Works posted:

Honestly best case would be something like Egypt where the military pretty quickly sided with the people against the state police forces during the Arab spring etc.

FYI, a couple years later the military couped the civilian government and that same junta is still in charge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Also, I just checked the tomatometers on Barbie and Oppenheimer, with most of the critics fully weighed in. I generally thought the Barbenheimer stuff was internet funny irony poo poo versus people actually going to go.

Barbie is at 90%/89% and Oppenheimer is at 94%/94%. Even the new Mission Impossible is at 96%/94%.

Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart is loving incredible, as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

FYI, a couple years later the military couped the civilian government and that same junta is still in charge.

Yeah, I wasn't supporting them per se beyond just that it was probably best for the civilians during the initial uprising that the military lol nope'd the police.

If the USA is in the position of relying on that to happen its already fallen apart but at least a lot of the local minorities, gays etc won't get deathsquadded or at least right away.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Is a true Barbenheimer Barbie first or can I do it in either order? Already saw MI:DRPI and it was good for what it was. I'll report back either way, but I aim to do this

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

this x10000000000000000000000000000000 this is the film you all need to put your dollars towards, it's a goddamn masterpiece

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I gonna watch every single thing starring Cillian Murphy and I do not give the remotest poo poo what other thing premiers on the same date

That beautiful silver-tongued devil could have a supporting role in a heist-movie involving expensive honey from exotic bee hives and I'd still watch the poo poo out of it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ASAPI posted:

Hollywood mask makers have free time right now.

Just sayin’.

:pray:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

The Taliban weren't exactly winning either, they just waited us out because we couldn't stay forever.

Sounds like a strategy that wins. No one is impressed by the coach who brags about rebounds in the first half and loses in the second half.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
All that said, I hit “platinum status” at my theater. Didn’t know that was a thing? (The plat rewards are essentially nothing at all)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Tom Cruise decided to make a James Bond But Without The Problematic Sexism and Substance Abuse franchise and drat if it didn't work.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I gonna watch every single thing starring Cillian Murphy and I do not give the remotest poo poo what other thing premiers on the same date

That beautiful silver-tongued devil could have a supporting role in a heist-movie involving expensive honey from exotic bee hives and I'd still watch the poo poo out of it

put em up german

he's my man crush you can't have him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Sounds like a strategy that wins. No one is impressed by the coach who brags about rebounds in the first half and loses in the second half.

No, I mean in the field - They didn't tend to win. Yes they won the war overall, but they lost most of their battles.

Its not a strategy US farmers could replicate.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speaking of, DeSantis is serious about woke!

DeSantis calls for state investment manager to consider action against Bud Light’s parent company

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is urging the state’s pension fund manager to consider legal action against Bud Light’s parent company amid conservative backlash to the beermaker’s recent marketing efforts, the latest attempt by the Republican presidential candidate to inject himself and the state he runs into the country’s culture wars.

In a Thursday letter obtained by CNN, DeSantis suggests AB InBev “breached legal duties owed to its shareholders” when it decided to associate with “radical social ideologies.” Sales of Bud Light have plummeted in the months since it entered into a minor partnership with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney that precipitated a boycott from conservatives.

“All options are on the table,” DeSantis wrote, as the state reviews the impact of AB InBev’s recent financial downturn, though it’s unclear what legal recourse the state might have to challenge a multinational corporation’s business decisions.

“We must prudently manage the funds of Florida’s hardworking law enforcement officers, teachers, firefighters, and first responders in a manner that focuses on growing returns, not subsidizing an ideological agenda through woke virtue signaling,” DeSantis wrote in the letter to Lamar Taylor, the interim director of the State Board of Administration, the state agency that manages Florida’s retirement funds for public workers. DeSantis oversees the board as a trustee along with the state’s attorney general and chief financial officer, both also Republicans.

In case of flaccid election hopes, stick dick into hornet's nest

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Senator wants to bomb, bomb, bomb Japan.

Don’t click if you plan on enjoying an Oppenheimer/Barbie double feature.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1682198801669292032?s=46

Pretty sweet SEAL trident that Jim Caviezel is rocking there. Wonder when he had time to earn it or what team he served on in between playing Jesus or starting in QAnon: The Movie.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Always assumed he was a turbo chud ‘Christianity enthusiast’

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1682198801669292032?s=46

Pretty sweet SEAL trident that Jim Caviezel is rocking there. Wonder when he had time to earn it or what team he served on in between playing Jesus or starting in QAnon: The Movie.

He did Person of Interest in between, maybe that was it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I thought he was actually more on the 'legit wacko' side of things, at least according to some of the stuff on QAnon Anonymous:

https://twitter.com/Hudson_of_Sam/status/1452775591367819275

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Is a true Barbenheimer Barbie first or can I do it in either order? Already saw MI:DRPI and it was good for what it was. I'll report back either way, but I aim to do this

Do Oppenheimer first then Barbie, Oppenheimer leaves you kinda meh and full of existential dread, while Barbie sprinkles existential dread in with laughs and actually makes it fun.

Oppenheimer isn't bad it's just Christopher Nolan, loud soundtrack and slow burning plot.

Barbie opens with poo poo that will make everyone laugh. Then it brings in the existential dread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I thought he was actually more on the 'legit wacko' side of things, at least according to some of the stuff on QAnon Anonymous:

https://twitter.com/Hudson_of_Sam/status/1452775591367819275

Lmaoooooo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ASAPI posted:

it's this

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s no amount of transparency that will satisfy these fucks.

No cameras? It’s a show trial / fake.

Cameras but don’t show jurors? There were no jurors, it’s a show trial.

Show jurors? They’re Democrat agents / crisis actors / lizard people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tom Cruise decided to make a James Bond But Without The Problematic Sexism and Substance Abuse franchise and drat if it didn't work.

The substance abuse was not on trial here!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

put em up german

he's my man crush you can't have him

How about this, you get Cillian, I get Idris, we're both happy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Soul Dentist posted:

I could take or leave any of the MI movies from 2 clear up to whatever the hell they were on prior to this one, but Henry Czerny reprising his role as Eugene Kittridge alone has me interested in the new one. He's outstanding in the "slimeball dickhead-type role he played in both MI and Clear and Present Danger.

Also, I didn't realize there's an entire universe of MI content that I'm guessing is fanfic? Apparently, Jim Phelps from the first movie wasn't actually Jim Phelps but some other guy and I can't tell if that's canon or somebody's wet dream because I had trouble finding any other context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they nailed this. Beyond what looked like a couple continuity goofs, it was a satisfying finale.