Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

More Orb One thoughts:
Overall, it brews a nice 3-8oz cup. I’m still not getting close to mocha pot w/fine grind extractions, but I haven’t tried super hard. I like drinking more than one cup, so I will end up using pour overs more. The only real problems happen when I overfill the cone, which prevents the whole thing from sealing. If you’ve overfilled after filling the base with water, it is very messy to fix. A nice interesting gift. Who knows if they’ll overcome manufacturing woes to bring it to more than Kickstarter backers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A tamp stand was what I'd asked about above - that sort of thing looks good but I'd also want to be able to accomodate a bottomless portafilter when I get one. I was mainly asking in case anyone here has one they recommend.

I see that now, sorry I misinterpreted

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody see the https://goat-story.com/products/gina-coffee-maker and have any options on it? Seems a tad expensive for what it does and the app does nothing for me that a scale and logbook don’t already do for me today.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody see the https://goat-story.com/products/gina-coffee-maker and have any options on it? Seems a tad expensive for what it does and the app does nothing for me that a scale and logbook don’t already do for me today.

Gwyneth Paltrow makes coffee?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ILikeVoltron posted:

I doubt it’ll be much better than the much cheaper pour over or immersion brewers that already exist. The only thing different is the cold drip brewing, but it makes me want to try out my Vietnamese brewer set up with my pour over to do that instead now.

It’s definitely a brewer for people who want something that looks really specific, and is compact. So if you like how it looks on your counter than it’s fulfilled its purpose.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 18, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thank you for the chrome cleaning suggestions, I will try vinegar.

Next up, can anyone recommend a tamping stand? I've been having the filter slide off the edge of the counter top. I'm looking for one that doesn't have all sorts of additional spaces for storage of tampers and so on, just something to hold the filter. I've had a look on Amazon and whilst there seems to be examples they are all pretty high priced, very similar to one another, with long lead times and no reviews so I am suspicious. It feels like maybe some suppliers are testing the market or just making a ridiculous mark up on things drop shipped from China.

The main requirement that I've got, which has disqualified some, is that my current filter spout goes off to the side, like so:

I can’t tell from the pic, does the spout extend past the edge of the top?

I have this stand and I’m happy with it. Sort of pricey, I think you can find it on Ali for a bit cheaper. I got it on Amazon since the price was a bit high to write off if it turned out to be garbage but I like it, it has nice weight and grip so it doesn’t slide around when you’re tamping.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That looks good, I'll find a UK one and go with that I think. I'd seen them but hearing someone's experience with it being good is what I was after.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

My job is going to be transferring me to our other office because my current one will be closing soon. Good news is that the partner in the other office has expanded the office and I currently have the entire new section to myself.

Since I pretty much have an entire area to myself (and no one else there drinks coffee), I was thinking about what kind of set-up I can get. Unfortunately, a noisy grinder is a no-go, but my current thought is to get a nice kettle, a Clever Coffee Dropper (will change to an automatic drip machine if more people join who drink coffee), and probably pre-ground coffee.

Is there a current recommendation on kettles, and maybe even coffee subscription in Canada? I'm trying to see if I can get the company to pay for a once-a-month delivery of coffee but I'm not sure if I should just give in to pre-ground or if I should grind a week's worth at a time and bring that in (grinding at home is not something I want to do. I know I'll occasionally forget to do it before I bring it in).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

My job is going to be transferring me to our other office because my current one will be closing soon. Good news is that the partner in the other office has expanded the office and I currently have the entire new section to myself.

Since I pretty much have an entire area to myself (and no one else there drinks coffee), I was thinking about what kind of set-up I can get. Unfortunately, a noisy grinder is a no-go, but my current thought is to get a nice kettle, a Clever Coffee Dropper (will change to an automatic drip machine if more people join who drink coffee), and probably pre-ground coffee.

Is there a current recommendation on kettles, and maybe even coffee subscription in Canada? I'm trying to see if I can get the company to pay for a once-a-month delivery of coffee but I'm not sure if I should just give in to pre-ground or if I should grind a week's worth at a time and bring that in (grinding at home is not something I want to do. I know I'll occasionally forget to do it before I bring it in).

If the office has a freezer, buying ground and freezing immediately will make it last a lot longer.

You can brew it directly from frozen.

The better option is to buy a nice hand grinder and use that. For pour over like 30-60 seconds of work and it’s Uber quiet. There’s been a good amount of chat around hand grinders the last few pages.

If your office will spend $$$$$ then you could get a super-auto that does different kinds of coffees fresh ground and they typically aren’t too noisy as they’re geared towards offices.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mojo1701a posted:

Is there a current recommendation on kettles

Most of them will do the job, but the Fellow Stagg and Hario V60 kettles are the best if you have the cash.

The former pours very slowly, so if you also want to make tea or pot noodles and stuff the latter is preferable. If you're only doing light roasts and you're not into gyokoru teas you can save some money by getting the Hario without temperature control.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Apparently I'm poo poo at tamping because now I've changed to a calibrated tamper my shots have become consistent in extraction time.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

thotsky posted:

Most of them will do the job, but the Fellow Stagg and Hario V60 kettles are the best if you have the cash.

The former pours very slowly, so if you also want to make tea or pot noodles and stuff the latter is preferable. If you're only doing light roasts and you're not into gyokoru teas you can save some money by getting the Hario without temperature control.

The reason I ask about kettles specifically is because I used to just use a Costco kettle at home that had a button in the middle of the lid that would spring open. Problem is that with enough heat, the lid would shift and wouldn't open without prying it. I was definitely thinking of temperature control because I like to make tea as well in the office.

Also a lot of the electric kettles I see are now are transparent ones. Is this just for aesthetic purposes, or are there actual drawbacks?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If the office has a freezer, buying ground and freezing immediately will make it last a lot longer.

You can brew it directly from frozen.

The better option is to buy a nice hand grinder and use that. For pour over like 30-60 seconds of work and it’s Uber quiet. There’s been a good amount of chat around hand grinders the last few pages.

If your office will spend $$$$$ then you could get a super-auto that does different kinds of coffees fresh ground and they typically aren’t too noisy as they’re geared towards offices.

I'm afraid there's no freezer. Since my part of the office is empty, I have room for a mini-fridge, that's about it. It's not a huge company so I can't go nuts, but if I could find a quiet grinder, I might just buy it for myself.

The auto is for later when people who drink coffee that are not me work there regularly. For now I'm sticking with kettle, scale, and CCD.

As for the hand-grinder: I have one. I don't mind it, but not every morning. I just wasn't sure if there's a benefit to buying good coffee (even relatively fresh-roasted) if it comes pre-ground.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I put a video of my cat in the "notes for roaster" field for my online coffee order and they drew my goddamn cat on the box

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 21, 2023

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I'm afraid there's no freezer. Since my part of the office is empty, I have room for a mini-fridge, that's about it. It's not a huge company so I can't go nuts, but if I could find a quiet grinder, I might just buy it for myself.

The auto is for later when people who drink coffee that are not me work there regularly. For now I'm sticking with kettle, scale, and CCD.

As for the hand-grinder: I have one. I don't mind it, but not every morning. I just wasn't sure if there's a benefit to buying good coffee (even relatively fresh-roasted) if it comes pre-ground.

Can you not have a grinder at home and just grind every morning and bring it to the office? That’s what I do.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I put a video of my cat in the "notes for roaster" field for my online coffee order and they drew my goddamn cat on the box

serves you right

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I lolled so hard at this, thanks

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Can you not have a grinder at home and just grind every morning and bring it to the office? That’s what I do.

I was thinking of doing this, but I also don't trust myself to remember to do it every morning. I was just looking for an alternative if others are also drinking coffee in the office since we have a bookkeeper who comes in 1-2 times per week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
o boy, i found one (mc4 with shurikones)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What's the deal with those tampers? I see them recommended but a tamper is a tamper, right?

Am I missing something vital?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's the deal with those tampers? I see them recommended but a tamper is a tamper, right?

Am I missing something vital?

Self leveling and not very expensive, I like mine works really well. Also calibrated to different pressures with different springs so I don’t have to push down like a maniac with no control…

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've found that I tamp a lot more evenly with a calibrated tamper even if the concept of tamping weights has been debunked. I think having a little give before bottoming out keeps me more aware of the position my wrist is in for whatever reason.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For me, it is the self leveling thing. I can do the same thing with a normal tamper, but this just removes the possibility of screwing up so I can be lazier :v:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The self levelling and alignment was why I got it, and what I think is responsible for the improvement.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'll throw that on the "nice to have" list.

In other news, the Bambino Plus came with a double-walled basket and it made the loving worst coffee in the world.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for pretty cheap mail roasters? Happy mug was fine for a while, but the owner seems like a bit of a tool. Local roasters are…ok, but I’ve had some bad batches so I’m looking for something a little more consistent. Right now I’m getting 2x1lb bags for $36 a month.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bishop Beo posted:

Anyone have recommendations for pretty cheap mail roasters? Happy mug was fine for a while, but the owner seems like a bit of a tool. Local roasters are…ok, but I’ve had some bad batches so I’m looking for something a little more consistent. Right now I’m getting 2x1lb bags for $36 a month.

There’s plenty of options out there (including buying direct from roasters you liked from happy). Outside of the more expensive roasters speciality roasters many subscriptions will clock at that price-ish.

You’ll spend a little more if you buy per bag, but I like doing that so I can hop around roasters and not be locked in. IMO all the “get a new bag from 100 different roasters” companies are just shilling you the cheapest poo poo they can get to keep their margins high. Way worse than buying direct.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is it normal for a 1zpresso J-max S to arrive completely jammed? I've removed the silica gizmos and I have turned the dial to a medium setting (only the bottom half of the pyramid is visible), but I cannot turn the crank. Is there a secret lock button that prevents it from turning?

Edit: Never mind. I just had to apply my full body weight to the central shaft to disassemble it. Why the burr was push so far up right out of the factory is beyond me, but let's hope it works well enough for my moka pot.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 22, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bishop Beo posted:

what did the happymug guy do? I've been buying green beans from them

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If it's kosher, I can generate a goon discount for the bean company I invested in. Okay to do it here or only in SAMart?

They do green or already roasted, the main owners are wonderful people, and they treat their farms really well.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

After a couple of months of using the DF64 v4 I still find it to be way too loud. What are my options if I need a grinder for espresso? I do not mind a manual grinder.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The j-max is pretty cheap right now if you were going to go manual

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

The j-max is pretty cheap right now if you were going to go manual

And first impressions aside, so far I like mine, but it just arrived yesterday.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Clark Nova posted:

what did the happymug guy do? I've been buying green beans from them

Quick google search pulls up this reddit thread, I expected to find "has lovely political opinions" but instead I found "doxxes customers" :psyduck:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

VelociBacon posted:

This is adorable.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I managed to purchase a used 1989 Mazzer Super Jolly grinder for the exorbitant price of $75.

Next step: convert it to doserless. Should be a fun ride.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the chemex automated brewer any good? I’ve been using a chemex for years but am considering something more hands-off in the mornings.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the chemex automated brewer any good? I’ve been using a chemex for years but am considering something more hands-off in the mornings.

I had one in my office back when they first came out. Worked fine, splashed a bit. Made good coffee. The original ones (don't know if they updated since) would never time out the hot plate if you left it on. Accidentally left it on over a weekend once, and while it didn't burn the office down, it did break the brewer :rip: Never bothered to fix it, finally threw it away from my workbench last week.

So, uh, good if you like a chemex, and you aren't an idiot who leaves hot things on?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Subliminal (nanofoamer company) just announced a new magnetic, retractable WDT tool, which can be added via backerkit survey when they arrive.

Comes with a stand and a magnet mount. $29, and the kickstarter says 25% through backer kit but I dunno if that’s the backer price or the retail. Really interested because that magnet mount is slick as poo poo.

https://subminimal.com/products/flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ROJO posted:

I had one in my office back when they first came out. Worked fine, splashed a bit. Made good coffee. The original ones (don't know if they updated since) would never time out the hot plate if you left it on. Accidentally left it on over a weekend once, and while it didn't burn the office down, it did break the brewer :rip: Never bothered to fix it, finally threw it away from my workbench last week.

So, uh, good if you like a chemex, and you aren't an idiot who leaves hot things on?

Is this better than another $350 automatic coffee maker?