Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought the crystal supercharged his powers and then all the writers forgot that part and just thought he could do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I saw a sale today and it got me wondering...

Are there actually any good Blade comics?

When I think of good Blade content I think of the first two movies, then Midnight Suns, and then the Captain Britain & MI13 run, in that order. The few other appearances he's had that I've read in comics have generally given me that feeling of generic action hogwash that all the most mid 90s comics radiate with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sometimes a comic character's best appearances arent in comics at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

OnimaruXLR posted:

I saw a sale today and it got me wondering...

Are there actually any good Blade comics?

No.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Not sure if you mean the game or the 90s series Midnight Souns, but yeah he was cool in both.

His earlier comics were just a smidge before my time, but I'm under the impression they were basically Blaxploitation comics with vampires. I may be off on that due to how little of those I've read.

Until recently the 90s after his movie was probably Blade's biggest time until recently. Those comics were awesome when I was younger, but I honestly haven't read them since I pulled them off the spinner rack, read them, and stored them away. I was probably 15ish at the time.

I liked him in Avengers well enough, but his current status quo of being the sheriff for the Chernobyl vampire nation is a pretty cool set up imo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are remarkably few "Blade" comics at the end of the day, and even fewer before the movie came out.

He first appeared just over 50 years ago as a supporting character in Tomb of Dracula, and was a regular but by no means every-issue character through most of that series.

His first non-ToD appearance was in Adventure into Fear, where he fought Morbius who was headling the book at the time. He had a handful of black and white solo stories in the Vampire Tales and Marvel Preview magazines in the mid 1970s too.

After Tomb of Dracula ended in 1979, he disappeared until 1983-1984 when Dracula showed up in Doctor Strange, in a story where vampires were banished/written out of the Marvel Universe. He didn't appear again until an eight page Marvel Comics Presents one-off in 1990, then popped up in the Tomb of Dracula revival mini in 1991.

1992 saw the Rise of the Midnight Sons mini-line launch that had a Nightstalkers series run for a couple of years as part of the line, and Blade was one of the three Nightstalkers. After that book got canceled, Blade got his first titular comic, "Blade: The Vampire-Hunter" which ran for ten issues in 1994-1995.

He disappeared again, popping up in a single issues of the revived Marvel Team-Up book in spring of 1998 just before the first movie was released, along with a one-shot by Christopher Golden/Gene Colan that also came out that spring.

A three issue mini-series came out in the fall of that year by Don McGregor and Brian Hagen, and in 1999 he had guest appearances in Spider-Man and Gambit to I guess cash in on the movie being a hit?

He got a second mini-series in late 1999/2000 written and drawn by Bart Sears, and a third in 2002 under the Marvel MAX line to tie into Blade II. A third Tomb of Dracula revival mini coincided with the third movie in 2004, and he appeared in a single issue of Robert Kirkman's Marvel Team-Up revival in 2005.

In 2006 he appeared in a few issues of Reggie Hudlin's Black Panther teaming up with other black heroes to take on vampires in post-Katrina New Orleans, then got his longest series to date (12 issues) by Marc Guggenheim and Howard Chaykin.

That one ended with this very weird/on the nose cover:

And it is technically correct! In the past fifteen years, he's appeared more times than in the previous 35. But it's strictly been as a guest star, team member, or co-headliner of a one-shot. The series that started this week is the first "Blade" series since 2007.

I've read a very small percentage of these comics, but I've also never heard any information to suggest I was missing out. The character has not been very well served in a starring role in comics, historically.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Hey Vulpes, how long before Moon Knight comes back as a mutant?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
The first issue of the new Blade series was (I thought) pretty good. Hadn't realized that this was the character's first solo book since the Guggenheim/Chaykin series, though I guess it must be

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you need more Blade there's a comic of his daughter.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FoneBone posted:

Guggenheim/Chaykin

BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
The Blade: Vampire Nation one-shot from last year was pretty solid, he’s like the sheriff of fang city

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beerdeer posted:

Hey Vulpes, how long before Moon Knight comes back as a mutant?

His mutant power is acute schizophrenia

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1682516288021643264?s=20

So much for wanting to get some distance from the Punisher, I guess

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've always thought that the punisher would work better as a "spirit of vengeance" like DC's Spectre at this point. Person goes through tragedy, the spirit of Frank Castle bonds with them, they kick rear end, etc.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What if we made a character more accurate to what the murder-cops are cosplaying as

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Did he really disappear or did he get emasculated so bad by his wife that he's just in some corner finally crying and coming to terms with how big of an rear end he is?

That being said I really did enjoy when he went on a frost giant hunt to avenge kids getting orphaned, and his brief dalliance with Elektra.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jiro posted:

Did he really disappear or did he get emasculated so bad by his wife that he's just in some corner finally crying and coming to terms with how big of an rear end he is?

Lol, not really

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ah yes, beloved character Joe Garrison is becoming the Punisher, I can see why they decided to hide that reveal until now!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
a few other Marvel SDCC announcements

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status/1682474921971048448

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1682545248814219265

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1682478352597409797

https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/1682478199048134656

(the original tweet appears to be mistaken--this is an anniversary one-shot and not a series)

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Are they just going to keep killing off and re-spawning Superior Spider-Man every few years? That's okay, I'll keep buying that garbage.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Had a fun realization when going back through Defenders:

That's gotta be Sinister-related, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

the problem was obviously frank castle, not the punisher right??

should've made the new series about rachel cole-alves

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Come on, Marvel, you don't have to do this. It's going to be really bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

should've made the new series about rachel cole-alves

*chomps cigar executively* Dames ain't got no place in comics

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Come on, Marvel, you don't have to do this. It's going to be really bad.

Remember when The Rob crapped all over Krakoa because it wasn't whatever he thought X-Men should be and in response Marvel had him to alternate covers? That was fun.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
While I can understand Rob's popularity in the context of the era he originated in (the most popular artists aren't necessarily the best ones, after all) I don't know how he's still floating around getting whole rear end minis occassionally. Does he really have such a significant chunk of fans who are still buying books? Are they doing it because he co-created Deadpool and Cable? Does he have nothing better to do with himself, like how Jim and Todd are too busy being businessmen to draw comics anymore?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
these are the same editors deciding that kamala khan should be a mutant, that cops using the punisher logo are good to go as long as the punisher in the comics isn't frank castle, that dan slott can take over the entire spider-man line whenever he wants

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

OnimaruXLR posted:

While I can understand Rob's popularity in the context of the era he originated in (the most popular artists aren't necessarily the best ones, after all) I don't know how he's still floating around getting whole rear end minis occassionally. Does he really have such a significant chunk of fans who are still buying books? Are they doing it because he co-created Deadpool and Cable? Does he have nothing better to do with himself, like how Jim and Todd are too busy being businessmen to draw comics anymore?

Synthbuttrange posted:

nostalgia is a hell of a drug
Marvel is doing a lot of these types of mini-series, I honestly have no idea how they sell but there is an entire cottage industry at Marvel of "mini-series by older creators coming back to properties they worked on 20-40 years ago". It's mostly that the other creators doing so aren't nearly as prominent/controversial:

- The two X-Men Legends series they did recently were built entirely off of this concept and almost everyone from roughly the same era as Rob Liefeld also did additional new Marvel projects
- Ron Marz doing SIlver Surfer: Rebirth, Warlock: Rebirth, Silver Surfer: Rebirth: Legacy
- Peter David doing a whole raft of Hulk projects (three Maestro minis, Joe Fixit, Genis-Bell, New New Fantastic Four, five Symbiote Spider-Man minis)
- Chris Claremont doing Gambit and X-Treme X-Men minis
- Louise and Walt Simonson going back to Power Pack & Jean Grey and Thor & Loki respectively for one-shots/minis
- Ann Nocenti doing Storm and Captain Marvel minis set in the past
- David Michelinie's series of Venom mini-series
- Howard Mackie is back doing Danny Ketch Ghost Rider

Like almost all of those, Liefeld's books seem to be siloed off in the past and not really affecting anything being done on those characters' current books and are sometimes even being worked on by different editors than the core books. They are almost to a project Not For Me, and if you think Rob Liefeld is shittier (either as a person or a creative talent) than any of the other people listed I would be hard pressed to argue against that, but in the context of "lots of side books being offered to older creators who contributed significant characters/concepts to Marvel" the Liefeld books aren't that remarkable. Maybe they sell well, maybe they're weird make-work projects to give those creators money without giving them the money they probably should be getting as people who created movie concepts, who knows.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm reminded of a few years ago when they introduced some edgy new guy to be the new Venom, and everyone hated him. After a couple of issues, Marvel was like, "Yeah, sorry about that, we're just gonna bring back Eddie Brock." I feel like this is going to end the same way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhonne posted:

I'm reminded of a few years ago when they introduced some edgy new guy to be the new Venom, and everyone hated him. After a couple of issues, Marvel was like, "Yeah, sorry about that, we're just gonna bring back Eddie Brock." I feel like this is going to end the same way.
With Venom that seemed as if it was the plan all along:

1. Eddie Brock sold off the symbiote and it bonded with mob failson Angelo Fortunato in Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man in 2004.
2. Later in the same run Angelo died and the symbiote bonded with Scorpion/Mac Gargan, a status quo that lasted about six years.
3. Then it bonded with Flash Thompson, who was Venom for another six years until the symbiote abandoned Flash.
4. Then the "edgy new guy" (Lee Price) took the symbiote, which less than six months before finally reuniting Eddie Brock and the Venom symbiote in 2017, nearly thirteen years after they got separated (and a year and a half or so before the first Venom movie came out).

If anything, Lee Price was just a transitional host so that mostly-good-guy Eddie Brock didn't steal the symbiote from good-guy Flash Thompson. If Frank comes back at the end of the first arc of the new series it would kind of be like the Venom situation, but it would be more like the Venom situation if we don't see Frank Castle as Punisher until like 2036.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agent Venom Thompson and Anti-Venom Brock was the best symbiote status quo. Why they smashed it apart I do not know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

If anything, Lee Price was just a transitional host so that mostly-good-guy Eddie Brock didn't steal the symbiote from good-guy Flash Thompson. If Frank comes back at the end of the first arc of the new series it would kind of be like the Venom situation, but it would be more like the Venom situation if we don't see Frank Castle as Punisher until like 2036.

Aw, he was like a pro wrestling transitional champ!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I would be perfectly fine with Frank Castle never appearing again in 616 material, he should have been retired as a character decades ago

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
At the end of that weirdly horny recent ish 12-issue series where he became lead singer of the foot clan didn't he get sent to another dimension or something after all the a-listers yelled at him? I know that was a limited that probably isn't canon or meant to continued, but having him off murdering aliens or something would be a tidy way to try to have 'Punisher' be about him while potentially being less problematic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The problem is that they can never make Frank Castle do more fantastical stuff(and thus actually feel properly part of 616) for very long before they drag him back to his usual poo poo, so at this point it's better to just get rid of him and give us a new Punisher who can better integrate as they won't have Frank's baggage

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I saw some previews for Kamala's upcoming mini on Twitter/X/Whatever-The-gently caress-Musk-Is-Calling-It-This-Week.com; I gotta be honest, I'm astounded that they're sticking with her usual powerset. I thought for sure that was getting tossed in a dumpster with her Mutant revamp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I would be perfectly fine with Frank Castle never appearing again in 616 material, he should have been retired as a character decades ago

Bad news, he's also Cosmic Ghost Rider!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Marvel is doing a lot of these types of mini-series, I honestly have no idea how they sell but there is an entire cottage industry at Marvel of "mini-series by older creators coming back to properties they worked on 20-40 years ago". It's mostly that the other creators doing so aren't nearly as prominent/controversial.

With Peter David specifically, and the fact he's doing the symbiote costume and the Hulk minis, I thought they were maybe trying to keep him paid with his health issues without him having to do much. Maybe old unused scripts that just needed some light adjustments to print today? (I know there is a term for those but I'm drawing a blank) They use Land on the Spidey book, and if nothing else Land is quick and gets the books out.

I have nothing to base that on other than that they're older writers, have decades of work to draw upon and by some chance, Marvel might done a good thing? Marvel doing right by creators seems iffy though.

The Maestro minis and Symbiote Spidey series have been be pretty ok when I've read one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Joe Fixit mini was pretty fun, too!