Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Stop buying blizzard games. How is this so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Stop buying blizzard games. How is this so hard

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blizzard Executive: We know it is not fun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

evilmiera posted:

What are some Chinese game properties you consider great?

Also on an unrelated note Jagged Alliance 3 is so good. I desperately wish they did more of the old fake Internet stuff like what they did in 2 though.
Chinese indie games have been coming out swinging in the big league despite having no previous gaming industrial base to start with

- Dyson Sphere Program: the best industry sim/factorio game of all time.
- Ender Lillies: great metroidvania
- My Time at Portia: great 3d stardew valley
- My Time at Sandrock: even better version of Portia that's shaping up to out compete even Stardew king itself.
- Gunfire Reborn: best co-op roguelite FPS shoot em up game. even great solo. best in it's class IMO
- Bright Memory: pretty fun shooter god-of-war-y type game
- Astra Libra: ask smarxist
- Eastern Exorcist: fun 2d side-scroller adventure-action game
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator
- Eastward: really cute SNES-esque adventure game

decent polygon article on rise of chinese game developers: https://www.polygon.com/22893265/china-aaa-indie-video-games-genshin-impact-dyson-sphere-program

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Jul 22, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh hell yeah, new Snowrunner map out. I'm gunna get back into truckin' n fuckin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

China is making a lot of video games...but at what cost?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Hopefully China makes more real games like Gunfire Reborn because literally every Genshin Impact fan I've seen has had a demonic aura to them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ytlaya posted:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

not too high so I bought them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh gently caress, Remnant 2 comes out in 4 days. i hope it doesn't suck. remnant 1 was fun but also lacked variety/builds

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I found all the Geoglyphs while wearing the full Glide set, so I'd keep watching all these super-dramatic cutscenes and then it'd cut back to Link in his goofy Nite Owl cosplay

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

oh gently caress, Remnant 2 comes out in 4 days. i hope it doesn't suck. remnant 1 was fun but also lacked variety/builds

all the previews say its great

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

in addition to all the dope games listed already, especially Dyson Sphere Project, I’m also abstractly excited about mid sized Chinese companies breaking into new genres and we get a Chinese STALKER, maybe some cool scifi RPGs or even in an insane twist an MMO that doesn’t suck with some of the deranged innovations that made Silk Road one of the true greats, stuff like that. most of the Chinese indie games are fairly manageable small projects which owns and will continue to own but I’m also excited about more medium sized companies beginning to emerge and produce games with Chinese Characteristics which should at least offer some fun new settings, stories, and ideas

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want big triple-A Wuxia games.

Assassin's Creed, but with actual cool things, and communist sensibilities. Play as a guy/lady who is powerful at Kung Fu during the Opium Wars, and murder lots of British people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I liked Portia a lot but burned out on it before finishing because my industrial process could only get so complex and resource-intensive before I stopped being able to keep up with it. The concept of "Stardew but with engineering instead of farming" is still cool, though, and I'm glad to hear Sandrock is better. Maybe I'll get around to playing it at some point.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

heard the ps5 pro leaks say the system will supposedly target 8k

am i the only one that thinks 8k is insane given how we haven't even really utilized 4k very much?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ps5 was sold with 8k on the box its just big number bs for marketing no need to pay attention

now will the games run high fps at 4k finally? no. get hosed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr Interweb posted:

am i the only one that thinks 8k is insane given how we haven't even really utilized 4k very much?

4k is already insane

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's too many pixels, 1080p is more than good enough, this is sinful decadence

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

just got to the refugee camp in jagged alliance 3 and that did not go very well at all, i think i'm going to need more guns

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Displays have become huge and cheap and high-res much faster compared to the hardware to actually use them, ahoutout to everyone with a 4k-capable monitor who runs 1080p

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its just bs. if it supports ultra hdmi 2.1 whatever it will claim to be 8k that's just what it technically could do. the ps5 you can already play was hyped the exact same way

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

my friends son put a food covered game in his ps5 and wrecked it. he traded it in for a new one, GameStop didn’t care at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

my friends son put a food covered game in his ps5 and wrecked it. he traded it in for a new one, GameStop didn’t care at all.

That for sure just went in the back for long enough to fill up with ants and is going onto the shelf from there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The 8k on the box is the number of ants inside

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

can you play battlebit on ps5 in 8k?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

8k isn’t real.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

I liked Portia a lot but burned out on it before finishing because my industrial process could only get so complex and resource-intensive before I stopped being able to keep up with it. The concept of "Stardew but with engineering instead of farming" is still cool, though, and I'm glad to hear Sandrock is better. Maybe I'll get around to playing it at some point.

Portia was the dev's very first game, so it's definitely a bit rough around some edges, just enough to knock it down a peg, but I still beat it. I wouldn't say it was particularly.. grindy? but it definitely had room to improve yet i'll grant some leeway given it was their first game, and a very ambitious one that they pulled off

but yeah Sandrock is VERY good right now. it vastly improves on the Portia framework. you can always try out the demo for free

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

all the previews say its great

:letsgo::letsgo::letsgo::letsgo::letsgo:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Interweb posted:

switch pro when, gimme dat dlss 'ninty

but lol i dont even own a ps5, didn't it just come out?? seems weird to launch a PRO 8K~~ so soon

also like.... they need to make games first... right?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
that said i support sony doing it because in the rare event that Bloodborne 2 or Bloodborne 4k 140fps happens, that means I can pickup a base model PS5 for super cheap off SA-Mart or something as every goon always rushes out to upgrade to the latest $999.99 pro models ASAP

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Epic High Five posted:

That's too many pixels, 1080p is more than good enough, this is sinful decadence

oh poo poo i'm going to hell

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

my bony fealty posted:

Displays have become huge and cheap and high-res much faster compared to the hardware to actually use them, ahoutout to everyone with a 4k-capable monitor who runs 1080p

i need way more p than that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

8k would basically require that you sit pretty close to a big TV. I've gotten into the habit of playing games on my TV while laying in bed, and when sitting further away like that (which is probably a more normal distance to watch TV from) it's very difficult to tell the difference between 1440p and 4k at that distance. It's still noticable, but very subtle (whereas it's actually pretty significant at a distance of just ~5-6 feet).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also remnant 2 leaked/cracked early so you can play it right now solo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

also remnant 2 leaked/cracked early so you can play it right now solo

oh fuckk. thanks for the heads up. I think im gunna just do that until someone i know is down to co-op. it was insanely hard to get co-op games of Remnant 1 going for some reason so i pretty much just played it solo for 99% of the gametime

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
in the new nintendo game there is a monster variant which has down syndrome and that is what the game credits for its 'r-word' strength

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Now's the time for Sony to drop some form of Bloodborne as exclusive, Microsoft is eating their lunch, it's now or never. Bill Gates has a button that will destroy the PS5 now in his volcano lair, they need to have contingency plans

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

Now's the time for Sony to drop some form of Bloodborne as exclusive, Microsoft is eating their lunch, it's now or never. Bill Gates has a button that will destroy the PS5 now in his volcano lair, they need to have contingency plans

sony is allergic to making games. their plan is to keep making PS5 Pro++++ like an intel 11nm cpu but no games

wontfix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Sony loves to announce crap like that and gamers love to take it at face value