Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

My Youtube Home feed has turned into literally nothing but videos I have already watched beyond the first row. Sometimes going back as far as five years, but every video thumbnail has the full red bar across across the bottom. I think The Algorithm has given up on me.

Oh hey, I had that problem for months. I'll rewatch videos sometimes, but it was recommending me brand new poo poo, often stuff I'd already watched that day like wtf. Then something shifted and it's no longer doing that! Now 95% of what it's recommending me are things I'm already subscribed to or that are already on my watch later list, so still useless but in a new and exciting fashion. The main way I find new channels is from outside sources like here

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Google/Youtube doesn't give a poo poo about serving up relevant content unless you are talking about ads.

Also with ublock I hadn't seen an ad on my PC in forever, but got the premium trial earlier this year for watching long-form videos on my TV like disc golf tournaments and ended up keeping it (for the time being). I feel like an absolute rube, but it is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

This got me thinking, AI is going to be way shittier than any of us imagined, a dull mush of corporate-approved personalities operating at the level of a call-center script, nearly useless except when unleashed in their full power by VC on yet-unshittified enterprises, constrained to the minimum level of capability except when hyperfucking the unmonetized pieces of the world.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Just got the email from YT saying I'm no longer grandfathered into $9.99 a month, starting December it's 13.99.

They've also removed the forward and back buttons when you're not in full screen album view in YT Music. It's now just play button and the connect to device button.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol at consumers taking all of this

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Probably already mentioned but the HBO streaming app changing to MAX then moving 4K and HDR content behind the highest tier in 2023 is some loving bullshit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how there's a slight drop in profits, while having quite a lot, and immediately the hammer has to come down and prices go up and features get deleted.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

I’m with you, but also we might just be getting older

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Youtube's been putting videos with, like, a dozen views in my top few rows of recs lately. They dropped this banger on me last night. Check out that channel name.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

YouTube increased the thumbnail size again so only 6 videos fit on my monitor, videos that are marked as being shorts are a separate feed instead of being part of the same timeline as everything else, and even if I decided I wanted to pay money for YouTube I can't find the button to do so or even a description of what that does.

Total mystery why most people don't pay for it, though.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Speaking of youtube, with as much as they've pushed shorts to creators and onto the sub feed to the point where they're almost universally hated by everyone, for the past few days they've crunched them into this awful little box without even adding the channel name. They can't even have thumbnails to draw your attention. These are actual editors working for something like a penny worth of profit, after youtube clogged everyone's feeds for months.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
what the hell did it do to that guy's face on the last one

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Private Cumshoe posted:

quiet, or it'll do it to us too :tinfoil:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

digitalist posted:

I've been poking around for random stuff like new nozzles for my 3d printer or camera accessories and to see the shipping price, the storefront forces you to enter your email, and if you don't follow through with the purchase, I now 100% of the time get an email reminding me about the items I "forgot" in my cart. This sucks, I'm clearing carts if I don't actually purchase anything but I'm sure they're still harvesting all that data and selling it to someone regardless.

I don't even buy stuff from random stormfronts anymore because of the "get this (dropshipped thing) for only $5 shipped! Oh, and we're going to bill you $9.95 a month for membership in our exclusive deals website!" Except it escalates to 9.95, then 12.95, 17.95, 29.95, 39.95 a month. Happened to my son when he thought he was getting a sweet deal for a free T shirt on facebook. Had to fight with the company, threaten a chargeback, dispute w/ paypal, etc etc and then argue with the company "well we can offer it for a discounted price of 19.95/month going forward if you don't cancel." then a bunch of back and forths... "how about 12.95. how about 9.95. how about 7.95. how about 4.95. OK fine we'll cancel for you."

Every ad I see now it's promoting dropshipped crap - even amazon is doing it where you search for something generally in tech (i.e. "wireless repeater") and you get pages upon pages of the same 3 units being sold by a multitude of different vendors and prices. And you can't trust reviews because they all do the "we will give you the product for free if you give us a great review, don't tell amazon" scam. And it happens with freaking everything there.

And all thatFBA party stuff pollutes the regular inventory too, because amazon will just combine items that are sent in from different drop shippers and pick at random to ship. https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

So they've just gotten sucky. And they don't give a problem w/returns, but it's such a hassle and a gamble I don't even bother anymore

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Yeah, nobody should be ordering anything from Stormfront

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Super easy returns is definitely one of their few remaining positive traits

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm sure that's next on the chopping block.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

don't know if it's just me, but i've noticed that the extreme cheap basic utility items you can get on amazon, like an umbrella or led flashlight or any kind of hand held thing like that is actually electrically and mechanically sound and will last forever. the factories in china that make the cheapest mass market stuff are making decent products now.

however, the handle is always coated in a soft plastic or silicone material that begins to get extremely gross and sticky as it breaks down after about a year. i hate that gross rear end soft sticky plastic so much and it's gotta be intentional, because the actual $9 product works perfectly and would probably last 10 years if not for that. i usually just tape over it, but that doesn't last forever and looks ugly.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's anything like the fake rubber coating that was ubiquitous on late 90s electronics, rubbing alcohol will take care of it. It'll destroy whatever is left of it but a destroyed finish is better than that sticky crap.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i havent gotten burn by amazon yet, but their drop ship problem also makes me extremely against using them for order food or other stuff used for body stuff.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thesaurus posted:

Super easy returns is definitely one of their few remaining positive traits

skooma512 posted:

I'm sure that's next on the chopping block.

:tinfoil: I've noticed lately on amazon returns that it lists the price as 0.00 dollars, even for returns to the Amazon Hub. While it may be a legacy in their awful interface from charging for return shipping, I kinda think otherwise

PhazonLink posted:

i havent gotten burn by amazon yet, but their drop ship problem also makes me extremely against using them for order food or other stuff used for body stuff.

its a real Catch 22 with them, because they utterly destroyed all the smaller competitive retail sites. Even a lot of the not-very-small companies are just setting up their own Amazon storefronts instead of messing around with their own website / distribution.

but any name brand consumer good is almost certainly counterfeit - cosmetics, soaps, shampoos, any article of clothing on the site, any domestic good (I bought a :airquote: wool :airquote: blanket and it reeked of gasoline so badly that you could get a whiff through the packaging.) To further the Catch 22 - Amazons pipeline of Alibaba trash at regular prices has utterly hosed the secondhand market. Trying to find anything authentic, like say a wool blanket, is impossible. A lot of times people dont even know what they're selling is fake.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dip Viscous posted:

If it's anything like the fake rubber coating that was ubiquitous on late 90s electronics, rubbing alcohol will take care of it. It'll destroy whatever is left of it but a destroyed finish is better than that sticky crap.

hmm, good tip, i may even give it a whirl this weekend

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I like how there's a slight drop in profits, while having quite a lot, and immediately the hammer has to come down and prices go up and features get deleted.

Sometimes the profits don't even drop; investors get freaked out if profits don't increase at an increasing rate. That's why sometimes you'll see articles that say things like "[company] announced their most profitable quarter ever today. Their stock dropped 5% in after-hours trading."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's not good enough, I need profit trend increases at the 5th derivative!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Private Cumshoe posted:

Dude tried to go pro as an Alf impersonator and the market dried up

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
fast food is getting scammier

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The last one is pretty funny, but those are still insanely cheap prices. You would be lucky to get those meals for under $20 in Canada.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

run on sentience posted:

The last one is pretty funny, but those are still insanely cheap prices. You would be lucky to get those meals for under $20 in Canada.

I paid $10 and change US for a QPC meal at McDonald’s last week, those Wendy’s prices are good af.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
From my understanding you can buy a whole deep fried cow and filled SUV worth of coke -I believe that the correct US measurement system for liquids- for like $7.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Montague Tigg posted:

fast food is getting scammier

This is like the last remaining US fast food chain combo where the price feels appropriate for what you get. Combo meals average over $10 now.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Triikan posted:

Yeah, nobody should be ordering anything from Stormfront

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imo we should force NIST to define what a small, medium, or large is. or some other metrics like food volume, mass, or calorie / dollar

(oh and also finally switch to metric)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PhazonLink posted:

imo we should force NIST to define what a small, medium, or large is. or some other metrics like food volume, mass, or calorie / dollar

(oh and also finally switch to metric)

A grande is the size of five small handfuls.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

what the gently caress?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like how you have to have a monthly sub to use the auction house and join a guild

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Windows 98 posted:

what the gently caress?

:lmao:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
10 years ago: IMs work great, my entire chat history is quickly searchable with full context, hyperlinks work like they’re loving supposed to, e-mail goes through without issue, web UIs are usable if not blazing fast

Today: MS teams lacks a usable search feature, hyperlinks paste an entire loving authorization system that breaks the entire purpose, email loving sucks, every web tool is just barely usable enough for an MBA to plausible say it works to other MBAs but is in fact not usable

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't worry, the pimple has to pop soon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

10 years ago: IMs work great, my entire chat history is quickly searchable with full context, hyperlinks work like they’re loving supposed to, e-mail goes through without issue, web UIs are usable if not blazing fast

Today: MS teams lacks a usable search feature, hyperlinks paste an entire loving authorization system that breaks the entire purpose, email loving sucks, every web tool is just barely usable enough for an MBA to plausible say it works to other MBAs but is in fact not usable

it's pretty amazing to see

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":