Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was amazing. Can't wait for the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

hatty posted:

Rico was wearing a blood donor sticker does that mean he’s a failed Rusty clone too? They just put waaay too much baboon in there?

im guessing he's a reverse monarch. 98% baboon, 2% venture

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My only fault with the movie is no Saint Cloud. Penny status: unknown

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What a great way of the last we'll see of the Ventures. Loved it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

After Ben leaves with his car battery with funnel, Hank is holding the synthetic womb.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
No complaints. I loved it. Really hoping they get to do more in the future.

Like the show Alien Nation kept getting made for TV movies after it was canceled. Just give us a movie every 3 years!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Things missing from the movie that make me sad, even if their inclusion would add nothing to it:
1. Scare Bear
2. Actual Serena or Wide Whale
3. Night Dick or Warriana
4. Captain Sunshine (:rip:) though, we DID get a young Boggles, the Clue Clown :v:
5. Phineas Phage

Also, I think Snoopy got more lines than Watch and Ward.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sash! posted:

After Ben leaves with his car battery with funnel, Hank is holding the synthetic womb.

Yeah i was wondering what that thing was when Dermott pulled it out of the closet, they let it linger in the frame a lot longer than anything else. Then when the last scene played I was like "lol it's that thing"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 22, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The first on the list was present during the mind scan and likely used as a fakeout considering one of the prevailing theories about their identity. Also said identify is and should be inscrutable.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
This was great. Just a solid extra long episode and a nice way to end it if nothing else ever comes out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wasn't Dr. Orpheus using magic on a blacula when Jefferson Twilight first showed up in the show? Why couldn't he use magic on these blaculas?

e: Yeah, he totally was! I don't even care, I like that the pants golem was used instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_tRajkhJXk

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 22, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That was a beautiful sendoff. I will pray for more but if that's the last of it, I can be satisfied by the conclusion.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Things missing from the movie that make me sad, even if their inclusion would add nothing to it:
1. Scare Bear
4. Captain Sunshine (:rip:) though, we DID get a young Boggles, the Clue Clown :v:
5. Phineas Phage

I would've liked a classic Go Team Venture from the boys but I can understand if they've grown past that.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
absolutely loved it, and really really hope we can get more someday.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

1. Scare Bear
5. Phineas Phage

Check out the interviews Doc and Jackson have done in the past few days.

Someone asks them about Scare Bear and they give a great answer about how they don't think he can or should be explained -- but that they had him in the first draft of the script towards the beginning.

Likewise, Doc mentions a warehouse scene with Wide Whale that he thought was brilliant that they cut.

They are unabashedly saying in interviews that they would make more Venture Bro's at the drop of a needle, so who knows what the future holds. It's a cozy feeling knowing this show is just their friendship, and they love making dumb crap (the best kind), so maybe we'll still get holiday songs for years to come.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Excited for more episodes when the right revert and Doc and Jackson are 70 and or androids

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Not gonna lie, that bonus shirt is kind of lame. I think I'll wait for the 12th to see if there are any individual shirts that I want; I'm hoping for a chance at a cool Guild shirt maybe

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When I saw Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time, I spent the first, say, forty minutes, waiting for the chase scene to end and the movie to begin. Can't remember the exact length. Only that it was an embarrassingly long time to pick up on the fact that the chase scene *was* the movie.

When my ex-wife and I left the theater, she asked me what I thought and I said, "it was easily in the top two action movies I've ever seen in my life and I didn't connect with it even slightly this go-round because I was watching it wrong, so can we go again in a few days?"

I saw it in a theater three times and watched it no poo poo like 30 more times doing a video essay on it. If I see even five seconds of footage, I pretty much have to stop what I'm doing and watch the whole thing. Even the time I didn't enjoy myself, I recognized its greatness and from then on, I was throwin' double metal horns and enjoying the poo poo out of the platonic ideal of a Mad Max movie, to say nothing of it being feminist as all gently caress and how much that meant to me.

That's kinda' how I feel about this.

I didn't like it. I enjoyed the poo poo out of it. I laughed my rear end off, I fist-pumped the air like seven times, and it was fantastic, but I didn't like it.

I had a picture in my head of a Venture Brothers movie. What I needed to have in my head going in was that it was the Venture Brothers finale.

So, the next eleven thousand times I see this thing, I'm gonna' fuckin' love it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't been able to catch this yet, but I can relate to that with Blade Runner 2049. After I came out I had no idea what I thought of the movie because I loved the original so much, I went in so guarded that I had to just get through it the first time and wasn't able to just watch and enjoy it until the second time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's less a movie and basically a cliffnotes version of a season.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It’s been eighteen years and ten months and three weeks since I saw the premier airing of The Incredible Mr. Brisby on the urging of a friend who had caught the first few episodes and I don’t really know entirely what I’m feeling sitting here now at the end of almost two decades. Satisfied. Weirdly bereft. Like it really is all over now but whether or not there’s any more material, it’s gonna keep going anyway.

Go Team Venture.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Nikumatic posted:

Go Team Venture.

Man, I don't even know what to say yet. Fantastic.

WarpedLichen posted:

Also explains why Dean was true heir to the guild.

I paid $20 to watch the movie on Amazon video and it was worth every penny.

This was a great catch, I'd completely forgotten about that little plot point.

And I was about to preorder it last night for $20 and forgot, and today you can buy it for $15, so I guess screw you early buyers lol

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Absolutely loved it, feels like a great send off. I would obviously love however many more seasons they have left in them, but this would be a good place for it to end if Warner bullshit forces it.

Disappointed that Dean isn't actually a blackula now. Would have been a fun plot point if we ever do get a season nine. Was also kinda shocked at the different Hanks being dealt with so easily, I was starting to think he actually was channeling dead crazy people. Those are my only real gripes, the reveal of Rusty and Monarchs relationship was the absolute best.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Not gonna lie, that bonus shirt is kind of lame. I think I'll wait for the 12th to see if there are any individual shirts that I want; I'm hoping for a chance at a cool Guild shirt maybe

Ya gotta embrace the lame, that's 70% of what the shirt club is all about. Lame stuff you love anyway.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Our collective secret shame of opening our drawer and seeing the folded modern enemy monthly shirt and thinking ‘not today rusty. not today.’ before pulling out something different and a hutting it again

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They managed to get that perfect Futurama balance where it totally COULD be a finale but it doesn't HAVE to be. Also, oddly appropriate that the last word pre-credits is "PWNED!". It just feels right to end on something nerds said 15 years ago.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
This was amazing, and bittersweet, but amazing also.

Here's a copy/paste of what I mentioned in another board here. No spoilers. But... gently caress. Just gently caress. This was so wonderful. I've posted in this thread so much over the years, and at long last, I just don't have much to say, critical-wise. Great stuff.

«Begin Cross-Post»
So... I've seen the movie. No spoilers here, because if you're a fan, you've probably either already watched it or will watch it, and we already have a thread for this elsewhere.

This was great. It was the perfect VB episode. And that's what it feels like: an extended episode, and honestly, that is a feature, not a bug. This show is episodic. There are arcs, yes, but it's meant to be random days in these people's lives, so a "Super Long Extra Special Episode" is perfectly fine, expecially when you consider that there was supposed to be an 8th season, and this was inspired by that.

There are a lot of callbacks, to the point where a New Trek critic might say it was fanservice. And yeah, some of it was, but it was all plot-vital stuff, so I don't think it counts. There's even a callback to something that you only know about if you bought the art book.

If this is the last-ever Venture Bros. content I get, then I can say I'm satisfied. I also said this at the end of Season 4, back in 1989. But, I hope we get more. I doubt it'll happen, but if they make a comic book--and Jackson Publick was a writer for The Tick's comic--I'll buy every loving one of them. I'll even get those plastic sleeves with the cardboard backers. And you know I'll film a low-rent homage to "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel" with one of the copies.

It was hilarious, very VB, and also bittersweet. I got my dad hooked on this show before he died in 2011. We got along terribly, but when I told him the Season 3 finale was on such-and-such a night, he popped in with a couple of cases of beer. If me and my dad could agree on this show (seriously, there's... a lot there), then there has to be something special about the show.

I ignored the show for a while back when it was new, but I did catch the last few episodes of Season 1, when it was in re-runs. I'd seen "Are you there, God? It's me, Dean", and I was curious. The season-ender was great, and Season 2 started up the next week. The finale to that one was stupid-good, and Season 3 is half backstories... and it's amazing.

I'm not one of, nor do I like, those people who go all crazy about a show they love and insist that you watch it. But seriously, folks, there's something great here. No, the older episodes haven't aged very well. But they're still mostly-good, once you get halfway through Season 1. Every season, the animation gets better. There are some parts where you might legit cry. But, mostly, you'll laugh and appreciate how they went from Johnny Quest spoof to a deconstruction of everything that is adventure, superscience, and superhero. If you liked The Tick, especially the original comic book, you'll like this. And that guy wrote one of the better episodes!

I'm so happy. Except for my legs, I'm so happy.

And yes, I wrote "expecially" on purpose.
Oh, and as I'd hoped, the music was great.

They licensed a great, random song.

The intro song was an amazing take on the original, that you only heard in Season 1. And the names with the characters were amazing.

Amazing amazing amazing.

But the end credits song was a longer version of the JG Thirlwell original that ended every episode... mostly.

It's called "Tuff". Watch and listen to it, because every episode of any action, adventure, horror, detective, copaganda, or whatever show that doesn't end with this theme song? That's a wasted opportunity.

«End Cross-Post»

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 22, 2023

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Nikumatic posted:

It’s been eighteen years and ten months and three weeks since I saw the premier airing of The Incredible Mr. Brisby on the urging of a friend who had caught the first few episodes and I don’t really know entirely what I’m feeling sitting here now at the end of almost two decades. Satisfied. Weirdly bereft. Like it really is all over now but whether or not there’s any more material, it’s gonna keep going anyway.

Go Team Venture.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how my mom tried to get me to watch it in 2003 and I thought it was dumb because I hated all the adult swim stuff. But then it grew on me. It became one of "our shows" that we'd always watch and discuss, even as I entered my mid 20s, then my mid 30s.

She died a few months after the 6th season came out. The last birthday present she sent me was a venture brothers shirt. I'd love to be talking to her tonight and comparing notes and laughing about it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My jaw literally dropped and stayed dropped at the reveal of the meaning of the title. Like I should have seen it coming a minute or two earlier but then it happened and I couldn't believe it. Insane level of craftsmanship went into the whole thing.

I'm . . . kind of hoping this is really the end. It's too loving perfect, just let it end on the highest of highs.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Oh hell yeah the iTunes version has a commentary track

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They never confirmed Gay Dean; thus, the story is not over

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gay Dean? how about uh music video for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sARuFu-tc

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Our collective secret shame of opening our drawer and seeing the folded modern enemy monthly shirt and thinking ‘not today rusty. not today.’ before pulling out something different and a hutting it again
My Modern Enemy Monthly saw constant wear and I accidentally snagged it between weights the other day and ripped a lil hole in it. It was one of my favorites. :smith:

Did anyone ever call it wrt Malcolm being a clone of Rusty? I know there's been a ton of speculating in the thread over the years but I don't remember anyone ever hitting on that.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I think the closest someone got was "Malcolm and Rusty are both Jonas clones"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the only thing the finale was missing for me that hasn't already been said was Triana's friend never showed up as a supervillain

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was nice that the series ended with Rusty telling Dean, in a roundabout way, that he loves the boys

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Goddamn what a wonderful movie. They never missed a beat. If it's the last time we see of this universe I'm completely satisfied but they have said if we want more should write actual letters and send em to Discovery or whatever. I think I might genuinel do it because man as long as they're still into it, I'd watch whatever they put out for the Ventures.

Twenty years of watching this show and never once being disappointed. Easily one of my most favorite shows I'll ever watch.

Also dude I think HELPeR and Red Death/Daisy were my favorites in the film

I wanted to be called LADY DISASTER but Lila wanted me to be called Daisy, so...

...Lady Disaster sounds like a band name, anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Consummate Professional posted:

Oh hell yeah the iTunes version has a commentary track

Kind of lame that the amazon version doesn't have any of this extra stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

I think the closest someone got was "Malcolm and Rusty are both Jonas clones"

It seems like such an obvious solution in retrospect that Jonas would just keep tinkering with the formula until he lost interest. I still give it even odds whether or not he slept with Blue Morpho's wife, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.
the movie was delightful!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Doc Hammer and Jackson Public go on Chapo.

i liked the latest chapo trap house interview, just wish it had been longer. what other (pre-strike) interviews did doc and jackson do?

sanko fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 22, 2023