Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

I didn't say it was a hard and fast rule. I said generally.

If you had the choice between working with someone who was a fussy eater, and working with someone who was not a fussy eater, and you had absolutely zero additional information, which one would you choose?

Obviously the person who is detail oriented and willing to take proactive measures to ensure processes are completed to satisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tunicate posted:

Obviously the person who is detail oriented and willing to take proactive measures to ensure processes are completed to satisfaction.

I'd avoid the person who can't complete all aspects of the given task.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PoundSand posted:

You're totally right people have there own aversions and it's not actually that weird to take a slice of tomato off your burger after ordering it without one, it'd be fully right to send it back at that point too. I apologize for being insensitive about it, I was trying to riff off someone who got job screened for lack of topping adventurousness which is obviously a ridiculous situation I found humorous and wanted to relate it to my own experience with picky eat colleagues but I failed to consider it was a legitimate sore spot for some and that's on me.

im not salty about it or anything haha, I was just sayin, it's his reaction you had an issue with. sorry, im autistic as hell and maybe was just pointing out the obvious

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My job in January: "We terminated the janitorial contract, take out your own trash"

My job in July: "Why do we have so many fruit flies?"

My dudes, we're all engineers, we don't clean up after ourselves. It's one of the big stereotypes about engineers.

Yeah that isn't a good sign, axing housekeeping staff

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Barudak posted:

The only potential opening I have is for a negotiator, but that needs skills and cultural background I don't think goons have.

Do you need paintings of animals? I can offer them a painting of their beloved pet that takes way longer than it reasonably should and costs me way more money on supplies than it should because I keep working past when my focus wears off and end up having to restart it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
If you're separating out vegetables from a stir-fry like a petulant child or loudly complaining how you only ever like your own mom's cooking or eating a bowl of microwaved cheese and ham for lunch every day, I have bad news about your ability to handle different situations at work. Which might be fine depending on the work environment itself, but man were these guys the absolute worst to interact with and it probably took more hours from everyone else to fix their work than it took for them to do.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Darkest Auer posted:

If you're separating out vegetables from a stir-fry like a petulant child or loudly complaining how you only ever like your own mom's cooking or eating a bowl of microwaved cheese and ham for lunch every day, I have bad news about your ability to handle different situations at work. Which might be fine depending on the work environment itself, but man were these guys the absolute worst to interact with and it probably took more hours from everyone else to fix their work than it took for them to do.

how is separating vegetables you don't like from a stir fry acting like a 'petulant child'? loudly complaining, that actually is acting like a petulant child. but picking stuff you don't like out of food is actually completely normal adult behavior, and so is eating what you want to eat, even if it's the same thing every day. ya'll realize you can eat whatever you want to right? :psyduck:

I guess I am taking a little offense to this because I am picky about certain things and absolutely will and do pick them out of stuff if they're in there, because I will literally throw up if I don't. I am most definitely not difficult to work with on any level at all though.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

The only potential opening I have is for a negotiator, but that needs skills and cultural background I don't think goons have.

I speak fluent Japanese, Russian and Spanish, I have a background in securities brokerages and field enterprise sales management, and I can sell anything, or I can not sell if you prefer. You hiring?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Randy Travesty posted:

I speak fluent Japanese, Russian and Spanish, I have a background in securities brokerages and field enterprise sales management, and I can sell anything, or I can not sell if you prefer. You hiring?

Yeah, yeah whatever, but can you eat tomatoes?

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Ok this is very petty but my new job does the open office thing and only has one garbage can per like 8 person cube cluster so everybody’s stinky lunch trash gets to bake together in the hot sun and stink up the whole area. Then the can gets pushed around all afternoon as everyone tries to get more distance from it.

If you want us to come into the office more often maybe make it smell less like old fish and hot salad dressing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My job in January: "We terminated the janitorial contract, take out your own trash"

My job in July: "Why do we have so many fruit flies?"

My dudes, we're all engineers, we don't clean up after ourselves. It's one of the big stereotypes about engineers.

Lol dang. At the start of covid WFH nobody thought to empty the many portable fridges in cubicles so months later many ended up being tossed out. Ideally they’d have been emptied and unplugged but I guess electricity is free? Still remember being a low level employee lectured about the importance of saving pennies.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MonkeyHate posted:

Ok this is very petty but my new job does the open office thing and only has one garbage can per like 8 person cube cluster so everybody’s stinky lunch trash gets to bake together in the hot sun and stink up the whole area. Then the can gets pushed around all afternoon as everyone tries to get more distance from it.

If you want us to come into the office more often maybe make it smell less like old fish and hot salad dressing.

You’re not thinking like management enough. Communal garbage cans encourage collaboration.

Yes, this was seriously the rationale cited by my last big tech job that took away the individual garbage cans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fix my poo poo or you're all fired is also, I guess, communal collaboration then.

Harmonious I am.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Unless my contract specifically says it, I will never empty a work bin.

I will also never sign a contract that says I have to empty a bin.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

You’re not thinking like management enough. Communal garbage cans encourage collaboration.

Yes, this was seriously the rationale cited by my last big tech job that took away the individual garbage cans.

We got patronizing posters about how we were filling up too many landfills. Oddly zero messaging about how several years of allowing WFH for thousands of employees saved a tremendous amount of oil from being burned.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Outrail posted:

If you had the choice between working with someone who was a fussy eater, and working with someone who was not a fussy eater, and you had absolutely zero additional information, which one would you choose?

I'd decide it was none of my business. Next?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not willing to make arbitrary snap decisions based on irrelevant details? Don't think everything is your business? Get a load of this shmo, definitely not management material.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Team lunches already suck but wait until you have to coordinate team lunches with a loudmouth picky eater in the mix.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Team lunches with an entire team of people pathologically averse to making a decision is worse. Everyone will have no problem saying what they don't want but can never just loving say what they do want.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We always go to the same loving place anyways - a burger joint. I always feel bad for the Indian coworkers that are sometimes in town and my bosses drag them to a place that serves beef and.... Beef wrapped in bacon.
At least the place started doing chicken sandwiches recently

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

TotalLossBrain posted:

We always go to the same loving place anyways - a burger joint. I always feel bad for the Indian coworkers that are sometimes in town and my bosses drag them to a place that serves beef and.... Beef wrapped in bacon.
At least the place started doing chicken sandwiches recently

Do all Indian people explode if they touch beef like they're Tomato Guy over here? If so, why can't they say anything and if not, let them eat a drat burger.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Smile and pick at your beef-fat french fries or I will see your family deported back to India.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily my contract is permanent wfh forever (:smug:)so they'll never figure me out for the fussy little tomato hating baby back bitch I truly am and kick me to the curb where I belong

same thing happens with mushrooms :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mushrooms are (usually) hella gross, that's fair.

The dude who just randomly appeared in my (communal) office, and always had his shoes off is not being retained/converted at the end of his contract.

I don't even have that office anymore, and I'm out in the badlands of the Floor now, but I'm still glad.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
our CEO went on an email rant the other day about how people who have closed offices should only close their doors when on confidential calls because it harms collaboration with the people who dont have closed offices. which is really funny to me because we have severe cross-department collaboration issues specifically because of the way this guy runs this business, not because of any doors.

he ended the email by threatening to physically remove our doors, like an angry dad to a teenager that broke the rules

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Speaking of picky eaters. One of the ladies I worked with would create the most for awful drama that would make our very nice secretary break down in tears. Our secretary would plan our staff lunches and when we decide to have a staff get together she would fuss nonstop about what we were gonna have for lunch and would not shut the gently caress up about it. We would decide to have tacos or something and she wouldn’t shut the gently caress up until we ended up just ordering a few pizzas because of some stupid loving reason or another. The thing is, she did not participate in these lunches, so she would literally hound our secretary for days and drive her to tears about something she didn’t even participate in. I fuckin hated that lady.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Darkest Auer posted:

Do all Indian people explode if they touch beef like they're Tomato Guy over here? If so, why can't they say anything and if not, let them eat a drat burger.

Not eating cows is a big Indian cultural/ religious issue, yes; it's about as sensitive as taking the Israeli delegation to a dedicated pork restaurant. Of course India is huge and there are minorities - including some Hindu ones - that are fine with eating beef. But maybe don't gamble on that.

It would be reasonable for them to speak up, but we don't know what the power dynamics are like.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Machai posted:

Apparently a nickname for Enrique is the same as a racial slur against Jewish people that is very similar to the word kite. One of our techs uses this nickname so there are some folders in our backup drive that are just a slur with numbers after it. Also we built a new wall in one of the offices and he signed his name on the wooden beams before the drywall was hung so we also have a racial slur with a smileyface written inside an office wall.

E: also our founder and our COO are both German

I always wondered what was up with this guy https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hernaen02.shtml

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is that pronounced kee-kay or kye-kay or what

I’d guess the former because there’s no ‘aye’ sound in Enrique

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is that pronounced kee-kay or kye-kay or what

I’d guess the former because there’s no ‘aye’ sound in Enrique

The former. "I" is a long E in Spanish, and then the accent over the E (which is basically "ay") changes the emphasis. So Kee-KAY.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Not dumb poo poo my work does:

Hire an actual store manager, with a good amount of internal and external (to the company) experience, have a real hardass train them, and give them carte-blanche to fix existing problems. I am shocked, shocked, at this development.

Let me tell y'all about their introduction to us, at store level:

We knew they were coming, but hadn't heard a word from them or upper management about them. We see they're scheduled for the next Monday, on the Thursday before. About 1500 on Saturday, a woman comes up to me while I'm stocking and asks,

"Hi! Can I have a word with you?"

"Of course! What can I do for you?"

"My name is [new manager], nice to meet you. Can you tell me a bit about how it's going today?"

Yada, yada, convo, say our nice-ta-meetchas and goodbyes.

Whereupon the manager goes up to the only other person working (call 'em B.), B. immediately sticks a whole leg in their own mouth. Complains about the heat inside, tells the manager that (and I quote), "You coming in here with a little attitude.", and stares incredulously at a very simple request that was supposed to be a cute ice-breaker. Then, in front of the new manager and customers, B. comes over to me and asks, "Why didn't you say something! I didn't know who that was!"

I was loving mortified. Also, trying not to laugh my rear end off.

During the last week, this new manager has worked their rear end off to not only help us do our jobs to spec, but also to undo the harm done by B. Everyday we find new things that B. was supposed to have done, we reminded them needed to be done, and had hindered efficient work/working habits.

Pure schadenfreude for the three people, including myself, that have been here. We are watching poo poo stack up on B. All that poo poo that they didn't want to do. All that poo poo that could have been done while they were sitting in their car, smoking cigarettes and loving TikTok. All that poo poo we weren't told to do, knew needed to be done, and were told not to gently caress with. All the materials that got thrown away or hidden, so the work couldn't get done.

We've all had a heart-to-heart with new manager, where they asked us what the problems are and got the answer they expected. Words like, "Hostile working environment.", have popped up. Words like, "Call or text any time y'all have a problem, day or night.", too

One person. One person has run this poo poo into the ground, despite everyone else's best efforts. It's nice to have some vindication on that poo poo. Now, we do what we're supposed to, have someone holding us to account and backing us up.

Feels good, man. Real good.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 22, 2023

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

they were sitting in their car, smoking cigarettes and loving TikTok.

How does one...uh...gently caress TikTok?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Machai posted:

How does one...uh...gently caress TikTok?

No, it's a new app. loving TikTok was developed to capture all the people that TikTok pisses off. The irony being that bytedance also owns loving TikTok.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

All the materials that got thrown away or hidden, so the work couldn't get done.

The hell? Thrown away to avoid work?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

madeintaipei posted:

Not dumb poo poo my work does:

Hire an actual store manager, with a good amount of internal and external (to the company) experience, have a real hardass train them, and give them carte-blanche to fix existing problems. I am shocked, shocked, at this development.

Let me tell y'all about their introduction to us, at store level:

We knew they were coming, but hadn't heard a word from them or upper management about them. We see they're scheduled for the next Monday, on the Thursday before. About 1500 on Saturday, a woman comes up to me while I'm stocking and asks,

"Hi! Can I have a word with you?"

"Of course! What can I do for you?"

"My name is [new manager], nice to meet you. Can you tell me a bit about how it's going today?"

Yada, yada, convo, say our nice-ta-meetchas and goodbyes.

Whereupon the manager goes up to the only other person working (call 'em B.), B. immediately sticks a whole leg in their own mouth. Complains about the heat inside, tells the manager that (and I quote), "You coming in here with a little attitude.", and stares incredulously at a very simple request that was supposed to be a cute ice-breaker. Then, in front of the new manager and customers, B. comes over to me and asks, "Why didn't you say something! I didn't know who that was!"

I was loving mortified. Also, trying not to laugh my rear end off.

During the last week, this new manager has worked their rear end off to not only help us do our jobs to spec, but also to undo the harm done by B. Everyday we find new things that B. was supposed to have done, we reminded them needed to be done, and had hindered efficient work/working habits.

Pure schadenfreude for the three people, including myself, that have been here. We are watching poo poo stack up on B. All that poo poo that they didn't want to do. All that poo poo that could have been done while they were sitting in their car, smoking cigarettes and loving TikTok. All that poo poo we weren't told to do, knew needed to be done, and were told not to gently caress with. All the materials that got thrown away or hidden, so the work couldn't get done.

We've all had a heart-to-heart with new manager, where they asked us what the problems are and got the answer they expected. Words like, "Hostile working environment.", have popped up. Words like, "Call or text any time y'all have a problem, day or night.", too

One person. One person has run this poo poo into the ground, despite everyone else's best efforts. It's nice to have some vindication on that poo poo. Now, we do what we're supposed to, have someone holding us to account and backing us up.

Feels good, man. Real good.

Why is B still there?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The hell? Thrown away to avoid work?

Yes.

Bug-Bladder Beast thinking. I never had a cat or a dog that thought that would work, thing-under-the-blanket not withstanding.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Why is B still there?

Gotta be careful. It's gone on for too long to just fire B. That would look bad on upper management. Letting it go on would, too.

Without naming names, we've come up with a plan. To spec, every day. Whoever doesn't meet expectations, they can go somewhere else.

That said, B. tried to go off on me today. Doing dumb poo poo, making double work unloading a truck onto carts on the ground in 95°F weather.

"I don't understand why you gotta be so specific! Was throwing the freight down like that really neccessary?!"

Yes, you dumb gently caress. You don't work the poo poo after. Throwing freight. I ain't mad at you, I just hate doing the poo poo and don't want to waste time. Don't waste my time.

The truck driver noted it. They don't like to wasting time either. Standing in a 125°F trailer, sending cases down a conveyor. gently caress.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
You know, my new job is a real hire-to-retire kind of place where there are never layoffs and you really have to try hard to get fired and it’s packed with old graybeards who have literally never worked anywhere else. There are some drawbacks - like if you want any seniority perks you have to wait for 20 years, and use of technology here is a bit behind because few outsiders are coming in with new ideas. Also people are willing to work here for less than industry wages sometimes. We also get little respect from industry peers even though we kept increasing sales through the pandemic while competitors all took a hit.

But! Despite all that, everyone works hard and everyone is willing to go above and beyond whenever necessary. People move around internally all the time and the company is good at helping you train for the next job you want. Everyone is carrying around a ton of institutional knowledge about all the former positions they worked in and I am constantly amazed at how incredibly quickly a huge diverse team formed from different parts of the business can execute on really complex tasks.

Long story short, I now realize what a stupid waste of time and effort all that jack welsh stack ranking bullshit was at most every job I’ve previously worked was. Having to constantly train new hires and say goodbye to good employees while trying to sabotage your coworkers to make sure you weren’t on the layoff list was such a productivity suck. We were told it was necessary to make sure the best people were properly incentivized to work hard but now that was clearly a lie. What the poo poo were we doing? Why do companies keep pushing that crap? So much unnecessary human suffering to try to make the numbers go up and it didn’t work but we kept doing it anyway. How much did I shorten my life by edging panic attacks about work all those years?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
collaboration is so much better than competition. that sounds a lot like the culture at my job now, the only people who get fired are people who just don't show up or chronically, obviously avoid work and get caught doing so. we only hire externally for entry level poo poo, everything else is an internal promotion(except for very specific things like some web dev roles and such that require extremely specific skillsets). the result is that people stay for a long time and develop deep knowledge of how our systems work from multiple different angles over the course of years, and are always happy to help other people in the company with whatever they can. it's nuts to me that companies who understand the value of something like that are rare. it seems so incredibly loving obvious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

MonkeyHate posted:

Having to constantly train new hires and say goodbye to good employees while trying to sabotage your coworkers to make sure you weren’t on the layoff list was such a productivity suck.

My dude, what :stare: