Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What if the show is following one of the alternate universe Invincibles from the Invincible War storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I assume you all saw this awesome Season 2 trailer a couple of weeks ago, but just in case you didn’t, watch it now.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vjDOpHuUppU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

only just noticed that season 2 is finally coming out (hoping that doesn't speak to the timeframe for 3 and beyond) but one thing that I always wonder about, ever since reading the comics after the first season is (comic spoilers and speculation) what are they going to do with some of the other status quo changing things? Like when the dinosaur guy glasses (quite literally) Las Vegas? Are we still going to have Robot and Monster Girl infiltrate the Flaxan empire to overthrow it?

What's going to happen with Mark and Amber and Eve?

still excited the show isn't dead, there are some good stories in the comics that I'm really curious how they'd get interpreted, considering a lot of the changes and switching around they already did for season 1

Aces High fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 24, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Same. Though the Irredeemable is much more upfront about the “what if Superman was evil” gimmick, they are pretty similar if you are just comparing bullet points. They both even have a generic demon guy that annoys the military/government characters!

Irredeemable, however, burns out the novelty of “evil Superman” in a few issues and has nothing to really fall back on to sustain it. Invincible has much, much more solid story telling fundamentals.

I’ve heard of having a really “punchable face”, but MachineFace or whatever his name was is the first time I’ve ever thought a character had a “punchable voice.” Auto tune voice was the perfect character trait for this guy.

I don’t think this really needs a season 2 though. Season 1 feels like it ends on a pretty good stopping point. Also the university episode felt largely like the waste of an episode. We don’t really need an explanation for where the robocops come from and “Mark appears to flake out on Amber one to many times” could have just been the time he was late to dinner with her mom.

this is the first time i heard of Irredeemable, so I went to check out the wiki, and...

quote:

The series follows the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, as he begins slaughtering the population of Earth. His former allies, the superhero group The Paradigm, attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own feelings of betrayal and hopelessness.

that's...that's LITERALLY invincible! :lmao:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr Interweb posted:

this is the first time i heard of Irredeemable, so I went to check out the wiki, and...

that's...that's LITERALLY invincible! :lmao:

It isn't. Plutonian is not a conqueror like Omni-Man; he's an insane narcissist who is absolutely desperate to be loved and hates that people are afraid of him no matter how hard he tries. The problem is that they're absolutely right to be afraid of him. He's become like an abusive husband beating his wife while screaming "why don't you love me?", except he's a living WMD and his domestic violence takes place on a global scale.

That's not to say that Irredeemable is good - from what little I've read it's an edgelord take on the theme and even lifts the "Kryptonite condom" from Mark Millar's Wanted - but it's not the same.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So many evil Superman deconstructions good lord

Are there only 2 writers that can handle making a story where he helps people without irony or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Irredeemable is like a less edgelordy version of The Boys. The Plutonian is much closer to Homelander than anything in Invincible. And when Incorruptible starts it becomes about (relatively) normal people trying to take him down.

Irredeemable is pretty good, it is edgelordy at times but Mark Waid is just a much better writer than Ennis. Its main issue is that the art is not very good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

RareAcumen posted:

Are there only 2 writers that can handle making a story where he helps people without irony or something?

It's kind of bizarre that the most standard Superman-esque stories nowadays seem to be "What if Superman was evil?" or "What if Batman punched Superman in the face?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's kind of bizarre that the most standard Superman-esque stories nowadays seem to be "What if Superman was evil?" or "What if Batman punched Superman in the face?"

That latter is The Dark Knight Returns, and people have been trying to copy it for 30 years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I watch just a few Karl Smallwood videos because I know basically nothing about any comic book events that aren't animated and suddenly youtube thinks I wanna see 'Spider-Man HUMBLES the Avengers' and 'Ant Man puts Hawkeye in his place' and other garbage like that. It's never heroes fighting villains, it's always barely justified deep-sigh reasons like I'm going through the story mode of a fighting game and they really want Michelangelo to fight Cyborg.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

It isn't. Plutonian is not a conqueror like Omni-Man; he's an insane narcissist who is absolutely desperate to be loved and hates that people are afraid of him no matter how hard he tries. The problem is that they're absolutely right to be afraid of him. He's become like an abusive husband beating his wife while screaming "why don't you love me?", except he's a living WMD and his domestic violence takes place on a global scale.

That's not to say that Irredeemable is good - from what little I've read it's an edgelord take on the theme and even lifts the "Kryptonite condom" from Mark Millar's Wanted - but it's not the same.

oh i see

in that case, it's just literally The Boys then? :lmao:

RareAcumen posted:

it really is funny how we've had (at least) two series about an evil superman around the same time on the same streaming service

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

There is Superman & Lois on HBO, which is "What if Superman was a really great dad?". Highly recommended. They eventually meet Bizarro Superman, and the main difference is that he is a super lovely dad who prioritized his Superman career over his children. It rules.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Jedit posted:

Irredeemable is why Waid's hottake on Man of Steel made me roll my eyes to mentat levels back in the day. He's good when he's not doing edgelord deconstruction. See also: Empire.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

SimonChris posted:

There is Superman & Lois on HBO, which is "What if Superman was a really great dad?". Highly recommended.

It's also airing on CW, and the current season can be watched on their app as it airs (if you don't mind commercials).

One thing I really appreciate is that while, yes, Clark and Lois are objectively wonderfully caring parents, they're not perfect. They make mistakes and unforced errors. Sadly just part of being a parent.

Tyler Hoechlin makes for a pretty great Clark and Superman. His Clark is such a dork, it's adorable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For being a YA series Brandon Sanderson Steelheart had a good take on "super powered assholes". Its like the boys except with more optimism and less cringey edginess.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Irredeemable is ok, if a bit of a slog at some points. I thought it’s deconstruction of his main villain Modeus was way more interesting than it’s take on their Superman analogue

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Good Citizen posted:

Irredeemable is ok, if a bit of a slog at some points. I thought it’s deconstruction of his main villain Modeus was way more interesting than it’s take on their Superman analogue

I really liked Irredeemable, but yeah, it kinda dragged on a bit and got a little soap opera-y here and there. Still a really fun read, and a pretty good Bad Superman kinda comic -- in my opinion, better than the official Bad Superman comic, Injustice. They go into the Bad Superman's backstory and how someone who didn't have the loving upbringing of Clark Kent would have a much harder time processing everything that the world's greatest hero would have to go through, and it's a pretty interesting deconstruction of why he would snap and turn on everyone. A lot of pretty fun bits in there, especially if you'd also be interested in seeing a less-pacifistic Dr. Who analogue.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Irredeemable had about 6 off-ramps for a good ending and blew past them, kept going through characters being stupid.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Irredeemable was and is poo poo all through. Maybe the first issue was good i guess.

So when is S2 coming out?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You didn't like the bit where he confesses his love to Lois Lane and tells her he's secretly the Plutonian, and she instantly runs out into the Daily Planet office and is like "Hey, everyone! Clark Kent is secretly the Plutonian!" and they immediately put it on a broadcast ahahaha. And then he rages out and flies out and destroys the satellite before it can receive the transmission, and comes back to deliver a speech like "you dumb motherfuckers, if certain people ever find out what you know they'll kill you and anyone near you to get to me" and then I think it says a couple of em eventually killed themselves under the stress of knowing the secret.

Like there were some legitimately fun parts, but yeah, as has been said it dragged out way too long and had some dumb stuff happen to keep the plot going (although I think the eventual ending was pretty good).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Here's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED1SJ1TA2Do

And also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmHQLpUrAo

Second one is out... now. :eyepop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omni-Man also got into Mortal Kombat recently.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
neat surprise to go along with the Venture Bros finale.

this show has a pretty crazy cast list.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amazon Prime November 3rd

Finally, a date again. drat was that a long wait.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's a ridiculous list of good actors/voice actors.

bull3964 posted:

I google lensed that season 2 addition card. Geeze.

CHLOE BENNET
ROB DELANEY
LUKE MACFARLANE
RHEA SEEHORN
KARI WAHLGREN
SHANTEL VANSANTEN
CLIFF CURTIS
CALISTA FLOCKHART
SCOOT MCNAIRY
LEA THOMPSON
ERIC BALZA
STERLING K. BROWN
CAMDEN COLEY
PETER CULLEN
TIM ROBINSON
TATIANA MASLANY
DAVEED DIGGS
ELLA PURNELL
LINCOLN BODIN
JOSH KEATON
PAUL F. TOMPKINS
BEN SCHWARTZ
MICAH ALILING
CLEVELAND BERTO
PHIL LAMAR

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 22, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Just finished the Atom Eve episode and it was solidly alright. If there was a comic version of this I hadn't read it so it was all new to me, even if I knew the outline of the story by reference

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Just finished the Atom Eve episode and it was solidly alright. If there was a comic version of this I hadn't read it so it was all new to me, even if I knew the outline of the story by reference

There was a two-issue Atom Eve mini-series, but I haven't read it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Here's maybe a weird question.

Other than binging Full Metal Alchemist with a former housemate, I've never got into any anime.

Is Invincible the equivalent of what it's like in Japan, but with multiple adult animated series airing each year?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Senor Tron posted:

Other than binging Full Metal Alchemist with a former housemate, I've never got into any anime.

Is Invincible the equivalent of what it's like in Japan, but with multiple adult animated series airing each year?

I think Invincible's got a higher budget than most anime, and more explicit violence, but yeah, Japan puts out animation for adults all the time. Psycho-Pass comes to mind, I'm not sure what's more recent.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't think Invincible is a hell of a lot more violent than something like Invincible. But yeah, you get a few shows of that caliber a year usually.

I read the original Atom Eve comic when it came out. I don't remember it too well, but I think the story was completely different though with the same main beats.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Chainsaw Man and Vinland Saga are two solid recommends.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

No, superhero stuff in japan is typically live action like Kamen rider and ultra man. You should watch the shin Ultraman film if you're curious about that.

If you want to see high quality animated production value you should probably start with some films like ghost in the shell or perfect blue

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

You wanna get 11% weird? Watch Big O and check out what an anime made by a team that loves Bruce Wayne and big robots looks like.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve's parents are horrible, but I feel like she kinda latched onto the "siblings" that tried to murder her a bit fast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Eve's parents are horrible, but I feel like she kinda latched onto the "siblings" that tried to murder her a bit fast.

I think it's her sense of empathy and the fact that they were the only biological family that she had. Not to mention their contempt was tragic and blameless--most of them hadn't been out of their tubes long enough to even learn to talk. All they knew was that they were inferior versions of her.

Also, man that facial expression shift of Omni man in the stinger was ominous as gently caress!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just watched the Atom Eve special and, how to say this, why did they bother?

Maybe her past is going to inform a lot of the next season, but the whole thing was such generic YA bullshit.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they may also have one in the tube for Rex as well, in the comics they did two prequels that were specifically to explain where Eve came from (in terms of her unique power set) and then explain her relationship with Rex before Invincible proper shows up.

regardless of all that, holy gently caress Lance Reddick!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, RIP Lance Reddick. He was so good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just watched the Atom Eve special and, how to say this, why did they bother?

I assume it's to keep people engaged / rebuild hype after the incredibly long delay between seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, by the way, are there two Green Ghosts in the comics? Because the one in this special was a man, but the one at the start of the series was a woman?