Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For a long time I stayed away from Streets due to all the talk about memory leaks and terrible performance and what not, until I hit a critical mass of quests and decided it was time to try the new map.

It's...really not terrible? Even on my laptop with an iGPU (using FSR) its as playable as any other map. I guess BSG made some performance passes on it, or SPT tweaked some things. And now I'm finding I quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arrath posted:

…Streets …SPT …
What’s your first clue you might not be getting a representative experience?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I have yet to try Streets, but I hear it's good for Scav runs. I've just been doing quick Reserve runs at night. I need to watch some videos on Streets to figure out where all the good loot is.

I'm at the point already where my stash is completely full and I'm gonna have to just offload a bunch of extra poo poo to make room for more. This is always my problem when I play. I enjoy scav runs so much, I just keep doing them and amounting more and more poo poo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Previously I’d say sell/flea whatever you’re too afraid to take into raid and make builds off what you can buy at vendors, but now trader selection is total garbage so that’s a bit limiting.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arrath posted:

For a long time I stayed away from Streets due to all the talk about memory leaks and terrible performance and what not, until I hit a critical mass of quests and decided it was time to try the new map.

It's...really not terrible? Even on my laptop with an iGPU (using FSR) its as playable as any other map. I guess BSG made some performance passes on it, or SPT tweaked some things. And now I'm finding I quite like it.

Everything runs better in offline mode, that's not specific to streets

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What’s your first clue you might not be getting a representative experience?

No poo poo, but I can still be pleasantly surprised that performance is better than I was expecting it to be.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Streets is dope, especially if you have a modern computer

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Street on EFT was unplayable when it launched but its much better now

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

gently caress windows 11 enhance pointer precision.

The POOP mod and a preset config for it help with this. POOP is the main mod, POOP variety is a few different presets that you can then tweak through config settings. The two easiest settings were too brain dead easy, I started at the middle preset and tuned the PMCs and bosses downward. A PMC will sometimes head-eyes me while full auto crab walking at 200m, but it's the exception now and it's usually because I've been pushing it.

https://hub.sp-tarkov.com/files/file/864-props-obviously-original-program-poop/

https://hub.sp-tarkov.com/files/file/873-poop-variety/

Cheers I'll try these next time I play.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Streets crew checking in.
Good map, good design, little biased to the West if anything. Making one million rubles in a raid is feasible.
Uses up a lot of VRAM, though, so check the consumption in task manager and if it is hitting max then lower the textures. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where a lot of the poor performance complaints come from.
To be clear, on HIGH textures it can use over 18GB of VRAM in testing on a 4090. Many graphics cards, even new ones, only have 8GB. Old maps, like Woods, only use 6GB of VRAM on HIGH - so not all maps are made equal and you may need to accept that your hardware just doesn't meet the needs to run it on HIGH. I did my testing on a 3070 with 8GB and found MEDIUM clamps the VRAM under 8GB. Lighthouse was a similar story, just going over the limit.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

When wipey

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/tarkov/status/1681707842942664715?t=_iuVlOhFaoQe0qebJRgYHQ&s=19

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Better hold off on those optimizations, we need all manpower on the helmet light toggle problem.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

ChesterJT posted:

Better hold off on those optimizations, we need all manpower on the helmet light toggle problem.

They showed a clip of it being used and it still looks like absolute dogshit lol. Just points at the ground a few feet ahead of you, completely useless.

It's pretty incredible how successful Tarkov has become despite how delusional Nikita/BSG is. They tripped over their dicks into creating the single most impressive weapon & ballistics model in the industry while simultaneously building a game around it that is fun in spite of the dev's vision for it.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Why would you ever want a flashlight on your helmet instead of your gun in this game?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

hello internet posted:

Why would you ever want a flashlight on your helmet instead of your gun in this game?

My gun only fits 3 flashlights and I need to make sure their retinas never work again.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Great Beer posted:

My gun only fits 3 flashlights and I need to make sure their retinas never work again.

It's called flashbangs, my guy. Throw two-ten.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I can see the helmet light matter if they actually bother implementing the ability to holster all weapons.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

widespread posted:

It's called flashbangs, my guy. Throw two-ten.

Flashbangs work once. A pile of flashlights on a shotgun works forever.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

put three lasers on your gun at all times and pretend you're the Predator

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Concurred posted:

I like to do this with a suppressed Ultima and AP20 slugs. Alternatively you can click over to flashlight mode and it's a portable sun.

One good use I got out of the built in thermal is I can see to shoot even though I've blinded myself with how powerful the flashlight is.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Concurred posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

hello internet posted:

In dayz they were super useful in servers where nvgs were super rare. But with nvgs being so easy to come by in current tarkov, I agree they're basically useless when you can just have one on your gun or buy some nvgs for 30k roubles off the flea.

I've really been enjoying the current wipe, but I'll probably barely touch this upcoming short wipe with all the releases coming up.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The wipe is near, it is lab scav day.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

All traders maxed and everything is a rouble or two. Wipe imminent.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
gently caress. I don't know if I have it in me to head back in again. I think this is it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Take a few wipes off. It makes the return more fun since there's a bunch of new content to play with.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The wipe being imminent gives me the confidence I need to run the good kits I've been saving up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is this release finally supposed to have the Unity engine update?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The last two patches were supposed to, so... Who knows?!?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Did the last big unity update even do anything noticeable? I remember a lot of people thought it was gonna be some miracle patch but nothing really changed.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
From the timeline they gave the unity update is going to be like halfway through this coming wipe.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

hello internet posted:

Did the last big unity update even do anything noticeable? I remember a lot of people thought it was gonna be some miracle patch but nothing really changed.

The excitement - if you want to call it that - with the Unity Engine is better performance and hopefully less, much less latency, lag, jitter, etc. The desync is getting out of hand.

Edit - looks like I am early. :smith:

https://twitter.com/tarkov/status/1681707842942664715/photo/1

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wipe confirmed tonight, servers going down for 6+ hours at midnight pst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DojSlJlyNE

e: also lmao that the boss at the end instantly turns 90 degrees to headshot the camera guy :discourse:

Rahu fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 10, 2023

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

I just can't get excited for updates in this game anymore. Their idea of a content update is pretty pathetic nowadays - the big addition for this patch is an "expansion" for the map they hyped up for 5 years that brings it to two-thirds of the planned size since the initial release a year ago was a small portion that contained exactly zero of the much-hyped unique additions like helicopter extract, troop carrier, etc. Oh but instead of any of those cool additions there's a new boss that has the exact same behavior as the rest of the bosses which is an instagib laser beam as soon as you enter an invisible area outlining the boss.

This just reminds me of the Lighthouse expansion patch that turned out to be a tiny peninsula that still didn't contain the NPC trader that they had been teasing for a year up to that point. And when the NPC trader was finally added, it turned out it was strictly for poopsockers who can complete a ridiculous endgame questline. I don't know if I've ever seen a developer that is so wildly out of touch with what makes their game fun. They have a hugely successful game that, against the trends of the entire industry, they've managed to get a large portion of their playerbase to pay $140 for. Where is all that money going? I would say I'm excited to play Arena but it's been almost a year since they said it would be available in Beta format so... lol.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Dynamic loot containers is really shaking things up for me, can no longer rely on old paths to boxes and theres a ton of potential container spawns in previously trash areas so there's now a good reason to go explore, plus a load more loose loot in new places.
New trader menu system is great, much less clicking about, plus being able to sell stuff straight to fence at the end of a scav run for trash id just have left behind is neat.
Audio, however, is still rear end.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Shannow posted:

I skipped last wipe and most of the one before that but Jesus loving Christ it's so much worse than I remember lol. Every single gunshot sounds like it's coming from 3 feet away, even if it's across the map.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Shannow posted:

Aside from all of my other complaints, this is the one that remains completely unforgivable for a dev of this size and a game in which sound is extremely important. How BSG isn't completely embarrassed by the state of audio is beyond me

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Clap posted:

I just can't get excited for updates in this game anymore.
:hmmorks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I was just about to post the same how it feels like this patch is really, really light?

And hasn't the audio been fixed? Anyhow, I am going to take a break until the Unity update comes out.