Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im concerned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Confusedslight posted:

I love how dumb this all is and how many chances we had to avoid it.

:shuckyes:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

netizen posted:

was gonna finally get my poo poo together this year too. Oh well.

It's never too late to get your poo poo together friend! Once fully digested, the climate collapse should give you clarity. It highlights the absurdity and futility that all human life has always been defined by. To construct meaning in the face of tragedy is the most complete expression of human fullness. Stare into the Abyss and in full defiance tell it to gently caress off.

Either that or embrace sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, both are pretty valid.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It took me a long time to come to grips with what a biosphere collapse with no definable inflection point looks like. I think the best mental analogy I've developed over time is that we're experiencing something like a global dementia or death by Alzheimer's. First we slowly forget what it was like to live in a hospitable world. Then we get angry at those trying to remind us that things were ever different. Then we forget all of the progress we built up - the medicine, the food production methods, the technology and tools. Then our collective memory is shredded by the extinction bottleneck itself until it's only passed down by whatever (if anything) remains of us.

:hmmyes:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Confusedslight posted:

we actually didn't

cybernetic capitalism has to grow and consume ever increasing exponential rates of resources.

consuming less resources was always a non-starter under capitalism

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

if it’s too hot for devices to take pictures then who took the picture of the device?

gotcha!!!!!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Cromulent_Chill has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 22, 2023

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

dude single origin coffee beans are gonna be so expensive in the apocalypse

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

mistermojo posted:

dude single origin coffee beans are gonna be so expensive in the climatocalypse

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

Nice day today

There hasn't really been a single "nice" day here all summer. Literally Florida weather in CT. Hot, incredibly humid, and punctuated by random and massively intense downpours. Also the smoke.

The smoke is fun. It's a nice change.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Paradoxish posted:

The smoke is fun. It's a nice change.
The smoke gets old after a few years. On the plus side, it can take the edge off on hot days if you don’t have any lung conditions.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

:rubby:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It took me a long time to come to grips with what a biosphere collapse with no definable inflection point looks like. I think the best mental analogy I've developed over time is that we're experiencing something like a global dementia or death by Alzheimer's. First we slowly forget what it was like to live in a hospitable world. Then we get angry at those trying to remind us that things were ever different. Then we forget all of the progress we built up - the medicine, the food production methods, the technology and tools. Then our collective memory is shredded by the extinction bottleneck itself until it's only passed down by whatever (if anything) remains of us.

epistemic rider ftw

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/revhowardarson/status/1682125648901574656?t=m5xtzBXc-iioZ8H3_ZJsMA&s=19

https://twitter.com/revhowardarson/status/1682180251890376704?t=qAZ3XRSDOOVSuuHHGMBQpA&s=19

https://twitter.com/revhowardarson/status/1682198978262355969?t=wKB8qNA6YUHjx7ngUxq3MA&s=19

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

:hmmno:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol I undersold it it's swings of up to 10° in a single year

Billy Crudup’s TED talk is tight. This is fantastic content, thank you for my weekly crack ping.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"Reverand Arson" is a little bit on the nose, isn't it?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Microplastics posted:

Of course, the biggest caveat of all is that i let people define 'collapse' for themselves. If someone defines it as "internet stops being a thing" and someone else defines it as "average life expectancy across the globe hits 25" then they might pick different dates even if they completely agree on the timeline of specific things happening

Next thing i'm gonna do is trawl through those supplied definitions to look for some common themes

Can't wait for this :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

there's an old YouTube video of a lecture from like 2014 that got posted in the last thread and I've quoted a few times, it's entirely about how ice core sampling from Greenland reveal past temperature swings of like 6° in the span of 2-3 years

collapse might not be so slow

20 minutes in as you said previously lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRs4kIthJ9k

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
relax yall. things will be fine. IF things get bad some smart entrepreneurial scientists, like elon musk, will fix it, just like we always have. there's plenty of profit to be found in fixing doom, where profit is found a way will follow.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Folks, do you think it's happening?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think "it's" happening

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Collapse indicators, in no particular order, imo:

The forums go down, don't come back up
The year of no snow
Food gets hard to buy
The year of no frost
Phones stop working / internet failure
The mail stops
Food can't be bought
Actual serious riots with casualties
TV stops / radio stops
Can't buy / hard to buy fossil fuels
Blackouts progressing to permanent blackouts

If it ends up being a slow grind down who knows, maybe we can "transition" back to horses & oxcarts, but I think no longer being able to buy cheap energy is probably a big deal. Real harbinger that things are not going to be OK.

No internet, no TV, people will flip the gently caress out. Putting stress on food in a serious way so that people who don't think they are poor have problems with food?

People being forced to see their class is going to cause the biggest problems I bet. Some basic functions can fallback to the old ways, and maybe some kinda rolling rationing of resources would be accepted, but if it's a hard spigot cutoff it'll be rough

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Collapse indicators, in no particular order, imo:

The forums go down, don't come back up

Oh god

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I’ll be interested to see how the government and media messaging works and at what point it just sort of peters out. 2020 was very educational, and I halfway expect people six months from now to be talking about how summer is over and it’s time to move on

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
fake news the forums will be the last thing to go if i have to power the servers with a hamster wheel

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Finally. A reason to go outside and embrace nature.

*immediately combusts stepping out the door*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Real Mean Queen posted:

I’ll be interested to see how the government and media messaging works and at what point it just sort of peters out. 2020 was very educational, and I halfway expect people six months from now to be talking about how summer is over and it’s time to move on

When an elected First World politician says they have no plan outside of population wiping itself out in a candid off hand comment, we’ll know collapse has come. It’s not that bad, yet.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Real Mean Queen posted:

"We're going to plant trees about it" is going to last a while and get a lot of mileage because it plays well with climate optimists and people with room temp IQ (mostly overlapping demographics)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

4d3d3d posted:

"We're going to plant trees about it" is going to last a while and get a lot of mileage because it plays well with climate optimists and people with room temp IQ (mostly overlapping demographics)

Picturing a politician showing up at planting day at a christmas tree farm to cut a ribbon, say it’s part of their regreening initiative, and personally count each tree several times

Yeah I think you’re right on that one, and the electric car bullshit is going to keep going for way too long as well. I’m just wondering out loud what the slide from “wow ten hurricanes at once, the president will make a speech” down to “hurricanes are so common we’re not going to track them any more” will look like. When will we have the last presidential disaster photo op?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When an elected First World politician says they have no plan outside of population wiping itself out in a candid off hand comment, we’ll know collapse has come. It’s not that bad, yet.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1680076918765367297?t=UVFrVE445B_x4rrxKoiYMQ&s=19

Or maybe that was the joke you were going for

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Reality is my scriptwriter. :smuggo:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Reality is my scriptwriter. :smuggo:

that’s materialism

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Doomer Kamala has my vote

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

smoobles posted:

Doomer Kamala has my vote

No smoobles no please this is a terrible joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I voted for Kamala when I lived in CA lol
sorry