Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

This man is high on cocaine and or amphetamines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Before the tweet could load I assumed it was a zelensky vid

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Ardennes posted:

A lot of it is I think they took a lot of the good parts of the T-64 (a larger gun, autoloader, composite armor) and improved on them while going with a more simple diesel engine, and it worked. Arguably, while there was some loss in efficiency from different plants "competing" with each other, it also forced some changes, and that often isn't a bad thing. The T-64 isn't a bad tank either in a broader sense; it was just hard not to give more resources to the T-72 when it came out.

I am willing to be corrected, but I'm 90% sure that is not how it was seen. Soviets continued to only use the T-64 and T-80 all the way to the end of the Cold War. If you look at the composition of tank or even motor rifle regiments even in 1989, not it's all 64s and 80s. The T-72 was primarily used by the other Warsaw Pact countries, because it was cheaper, and also because the Soviets did not like exporting their top of the line stuff.

Now, after the Cold War, suddenly the T-72 looks like a much better deal. You can put improved fire control and thermals into it, and the T-80 ans T-64's advantage narrows a lot, while still being way more expensive. And a lot of those were made in Ukraine anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have to laugh at the popular consensus of the t80's turbine as being complex, finicky, thirsty and not worth it while the m1's is high performance clever war winning technology

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

60-ton pampered fat cats with no era is clearly the future of tanking unlike those old soviet-thought tin cans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

you mean you didn’t forget, you planned to leave it up all along?

This was precisely the metaphor

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Slavvy posted:

I have to laugh at the popular consensus of the t80's turbine as being complex, finicky, thirsty and not worth it while the m1's is high performance clever war winning technology

Remember when Australia complained their Abrams keep breaking down, and the US responded with "Well what do you expect, you're using them"?

I genuinely think there is a lot in that statement. I frequently tell people who will listen that the US wages a luxury version of war. The US statement went on to say that Australians, at peace, "use them much harder" than the US does, at war.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I am willing to be corrected, but I'm 90% sure that is not how it was seen. Soviets continued to only use the T-64 and T-80 all the way to the end of the Cold War. If you look at the composition of tank or even motor rifle regiments even in 1989, not it's all 64s and 80s. The T-72 was primarily used by the other Warsaw Pact countries, because it was cheaper, and also because the Soviets did not like exporting their top of the line stuff.

Now, after the Cold War, suddenly the T-72 looks like a much better deal. You can put improved fire control and thermals into it, and the T-80 ans T-64's advantage narrows a lot, while still being way more expensive. And a lot of those were made in Ukraine anyway.

yeah as far as I know the 64 and 80 are way sturdier beasts under the era. But i'm not sure how much it still matters with how deadly anti-tank weapons have got. The T-80's engine probably helps get the tank out of jams though.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Home > Military Surplus >
Freeze Dried Uncooked Chicken Tenders

Freeze Dried Chicken Tenders in #10 Can

6 #10 cans (13 oz per can) fit neatly in 1 case, making storing easy! There are 18 to 22 Freeze Dried Uncooked Chicken Tenders per can (108 to 132 tenders per case!!!). All are hand-trimmed. All cans were sealed in an oxygen/moisture free environment.

Flash Facts:
#10 Size Cans (aka Gallon Size Can)
18 to 22 Chicken Tenders per Can
Net Weight 13 oz
U.S. Government/Military Surplus
25+ year shelf life
No Refrigeration Required
June 2023 Production.
These Chicken Tenders are current production overruns, Manufactured in 2023 by a large military defense contractor. We just purchased a large lot of these direct from a Defense Reutilization Office (DRO) Source. Although actual use is always classified on these kinds of bids, our information is that these are purchased for Executive Branch use, not for our troops in the field. That usually means these go to underground bunkers for continuity of government use by strategic military leaders, congressional members and sometimes even the White House staff or leadership. We opened several cans to try these out before we committed to such a large quantity, and these are actually amazing: tender, boneless, gourmet trimmed, very tasty and as fresh as the day they were flash frozen and dehydrated!

Each can contains 18 to 22 Chicken Tenders, and to use them just soak in cold water for 20 minutes (until the meat feel tender throughout) and cook. They come out of the can looking just like the chicken tenders that you would get at your grocer's deli - and there was no shrinkage when we cooked them. We've found that although great with only a 20 minute soak in cold water, if you let them sit longer they get even more tender. You can expect to get 25+ years out of them in the can - and probably as many as 30 to 40 since there is no water or oxygen in the can to spoil them!!!

Once opened they will last:
up to 1 year in a Zip Lock bag with refrigeration once opened but not re-hydrated
up to 60 days in a zip lock bag without refrigeration once opened, but not re-hydrated
up to 5 days in the fridge once they are re-hydrated

These are perfect for storing and using for many years! You can have great tasting food in minutes with no mess and no waste - and it doesn't matter if the power goes out!!! You can open just one can at a time and in 20 minutes cook one or as many of these as you want however you would cook any other fresh chicken tenders!! Perfect for camping, boating, traveling, or at the cabin.

Manufactured, Procured, and Canned in the USA
bolding my own, but hell yeah, biden's nuclear apocalypse chicken tendie supply is secured.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah but $60 per can. Prepping aint cheap.

3rd72123
Jul 22, 2023
long-term psychological isolation :thunk:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
25 years later after sealing your survival bunker: Man I'm getting really sick of eating nothing but these microwaved chicken tendies.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

25 years later after sealing your survival bunker: Man I'm getting really sick of eating nothing but these microwaved chicken tendies.

for shame, and you call yourself a goon?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The T-14 Armata is a much larger tank than the carousel autoloader tanks, and to get them to the front they would need e.g. railway cars, recovery vehicles, repair depots and a whole logistics chain revamped to transport, recover and repair a vehicle that is now like 20% bigger and closer in size to western tanks. The initial idea was to have a whole family of vehicles on the same chassis that would justify the big logistics upgrade but the war put a hold on that.

That's more likely the reason for the project being on pause than any shortage of western chips or whatever.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The T-14 is also a stupid boondoggle worthy of the Pentagon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1672780634211622914

why is it always Hindu symbolism

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

unfortunately we have some bad news for ukraine today- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/21/ukraines-counter-offensive-is-failing-with-no-easy-fixes/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

telegraph has been going off script for awhile now

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kalki should hit the restart button tbh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those people are so obviously Nazis it can’t be helping them in the long run to parade them around

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
um actually there are no nazis in ukraine and even if there were nazis are good now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they look like movie villains

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
At least the blokes who made morrowind put their own fun spin on hinduism. This is just surface level stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

This is just a note that you find on a skeleton in Fallout 76.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is just a note that you find on a skeleton in Fallout 76.

>whiny billionaire turned into skellington
>the remaining proletariat on a wasteland adventure doing mutual while blasting rocket 69.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

If only you knew how bad things are...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Kissinger is 100 goddamn years old, jfc

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

happy captive nations week everyone. hope you spent this week reflecting on what it's like to be a nation captive to communist hegemony and came up with some innovative ways to funnel guns and money to nazis. slava bandera, slava ukraini!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

I think we should be very realistic about the extent to which we have been co-opted, that major elements in our society has been co-opted, and that this is still on-going

these guys are so deep in our system, they have access to the best lawyers the West has to provide, I mean like, they've got all [of] New York City and London working for them

we're over a year-and-a-half since the full-scale invasion and it's still on-going! you know, so we have to get this corruption out of our society

okay so who is Paul Massaro referring to here when he talks about people "deep in our system", who has "co-opted our society", that has "the best lawyers" from "New York"

and what does he mean when he says "we have to get this corruption out of our society"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
russians

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Panel Discussion: The Lessons of Ukraine for Captive Nations around the world

Russia’s unjust and reckless invasion of Ukraine has given many reasons for democratic and free societies to rally in support of the Ukrainian people. Through the lessons and experiences of former captive nations, we know the consequences of people living under communism and other forms of totalitarian regimes. Although the Soviet Union collapsed and the Berlin Wall fell, one-fifth of the world’s population today is still suffering under single-party communist regimes. This panel explored the lessons of historic captive nations, the struggle for freedom in countries still held captive by communism today, and the lessons that we can draw from the Ukrainian people’s brave resistance in the face of the Putin regime’s war and tyranny.

Amb. Martin Palouš, Director of the Václav Havel Center for Human Rights and Diplomacy initiative & Former Ambassador of the Czech Republic to the United Nations
Hyun-Seung (Arthur) Lee, One Korea Network
Jianli Yang, Citizen Power Initiatives for China

:thunk:

Why is China not supporting sanctions on Russia?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OVERVIEW

The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation’s Latin America Studies and Programs Center promotes individual freedom, respect for human rights, and democracy throughout Latin America, but especially Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. Our researchers document human rights abuses, support in-region civil society and pro-democracy groups, and educate the American public and U.S. policy makers about the realities on the ground.

PROGRAMS

The Castro regime has developed sophisticated human trafficking and forced labor schemes to exploit the Cuban people, with emphasis on health personnel. The Cuban regime, in collusion with international communist allies, sends Communist Medical Brigades overseas to sell health care services for propaganda purposes. Communist commissaries and secret police agents oversee the Communist Medical Brigades’ workers and regularly confiscate between 75% and 90% of their wages. VOC’s Latin America Programs advocate for the rights of these workers, conducting research on Trafficking in Medical Personnel (TIMP) and providing legal assistance to these victims of communism.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay so who is Paul Massaro referring to here when he talks about people "deep in our system", who has "co-opted our society", that has "the best lawyers" from "New York"

and what does he mean when he says "we have to get this corruption out of our society"

I have some guesses

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Panel Discussion: The Lessons of Ukraine for Captive Nations around the world

Russia’s unjust and reckless invasion of Ukraine has given many reasons for democratic and free societies to rally in support of the Ukrainian people. Through the lessons and experiences of former captive nations, we know the consequences of people living under communism and other forms of totalitarian regimes. Although the Soviet Union collapsed and the Berlin Wall fell, one-fifth of the world’s population today is still suffering under single-party communist regimes. This panel explored the lessons of historic captive nations, the struggle for freedom in countries still held captive by communism today, and the lessons that we can draw from the Ukrainian people’s brave resistance in the face of the Putin regime’s war and tyranny.

Amb. Martin Palouš, Director of the Václav Havel Center for Human Rights and Diplomacy initiative & Former Ambassador of the Czech Republic to the United Nations
Hyun-Seung (Arthur) Lee, One Korea Network
Jianli Yang, Citizen Power Initiatives for China

Why is China not supporting sanctions on Russia?

quote:

Citizen Power Initiatives for China, previously known as Initiatives for China or Citizen Power for China, is pro-democracy movement and NGO committed for a peaceful transition to democracy in China through non-violent strategies based in Washington, D.C.

ONE KOREA NETWORK
Mailing Address: 3100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 200, Arlington, VA 22201

Václav Havel Program for Human Rights and Democracy
Modesto A. Maidique Campus
School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) 500
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199

The list of "international organisations" are way less impressive when you just look up their street addresses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

OVERVIEW

The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation’s Latin America Studies and Programs Center promotes individual freedom, respect for human rights, and democracy throughout Latin America, but especially Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. Our researchers document human rights abuses, support in-region civil society and pro-democracy groups, and educate the American public and U.S. policy makers about the realities on the ground.

PROGRAMS

The Castro regime has developed sophisticated human trafficking and forced labor schemes to exploit the Cuban people, with emphasis on health personnel. The Cuban regime, in collusion with international communist allies, sends Communist Medical Brigades overseas to sell health care services for propaganda purposes. Communist commissaries and secret police agents oversee the Communist Medical Brigades’ workers and regularly confiscate between 75% and 90% of their wages. VOC’s Latin America Programs advocate for the rights of these workers, conducting research on Trafficking in Medical Personnel (TIMP) and providing legal assistance to these victims of communism.

This one even has their office highlighted on the map helpfully presented on their website. Two blocks from the white house.
https://victimsofcommunism.org/about/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

The list of "international organisations" are way less impressive when you just look up their street addresses.

Anyone got any recommended reading on Havel? An undergrad poli sci class I took on Eastern Europe fuckin deified the guy and I'm curious what his real deal was. I'd assume the usual sheparding of privatization and shock therapy and general immiseration of his people in the 90s.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

I have some guesses

like maybe this is sheltered of me to say but I've never really been exposed to much antisemitism so hearing that guy just slip it in was a little shocking to me - you hear it, and it's over before you know it, but at the same time the dogwhistle is so clear and undeniable

the dude is not just some Very Online guy that loves to post about Azov battalion, he's very literally a fascist!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

The directory for 3100 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, is really only missing Zapata Petroleum:

Legal Evidence Corp
The Palatin Group
Cadmus
Association for Uncrewed Vehicle Systems International
Federal Advisory Partners
Clarendon Research & Analysis
Colley Intelligence
Arlington Plumbing Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations on at least three sectors of the front on July 21 and made gains in some areas.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-july-21-2023

RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, JULY 21, 2023

Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations on at least three sectors of the front on July 21 and made gains in some areas.

Geolocated footage published on July 21 indicates that Ukrainian forces made gains northeast of Orikhovo-Vasylivka (11km northwest of Bakhmut) and closer to Pryyutne (12km southwest of Velyka Novosilka).[34]

The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces conducted offensive operations north and south of Bakhmut, where heavy fighting continues in the Orikhovo-Vasylivka-Paraskoviivka (up to 8km north of Bakhmut) and the Klischiivka-Andriivka (7km to 10km southwest of Bakhmut) directions.[35]

The Ukrainian General Staff also reported that Ukrainian forces achieved success in the Novodarivka-Pryyutne (13km to 16km southwest of Velyka Novosilka) direction in the Zaporizhia-Donetsk Oblast border area as well as the Novodanylivka-Verbove (up to 16km southeast of Orikhiv) and Novodanylvika-Robotyne (up to 12km south of Orikhiv) directions in western Zaporizhia Oblast.[36]

US National Security Spokesperson John Kirby stated on July 20 that Ukrainian forces have started to use US-provided cluster munitions and are using them effectively against Russian defensive formations.[37]

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director William Burns stated on July 21 during a speech at the Aspen Institute that Russian defenses in Ukraine have a number of structural flaws, including low morale and disorder among Russia’s political and military leadership.[38]