Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JosephNewDealer/status/1682554098778873856?t=RXJDHnpXjQ9y2YLZaAE2aA&s=19

What the gently caress is it with all these posts relitigating the cold war to say that it should have gone hot immediately and to the hilt

Oh so *that's* what the Barbie dash line fuss was about

mlmp08 posted:

That is also my point. I'm not sure where gradenko found this weirdo and whether the account is trying to actually get traction or just shitposting.

Let me help you. There are absolutely people who genuinely believe this poo poo and would have happily tossed China into an extended civil war stalemate, just like Korea, Vietnam, Ukraine and every other nation in Earth the US has decided to "intervene."

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

euphronius posted:

those people are so obviously Nazis it can’t be helping them in the long run to parade them around

Liberals have mostly stopped caring

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

like maybe this is sheltered of me to say but I've never really been exposed to much antisemitism so hearing that guy just slip it in was a little shocking to me - you hear it, and it's over before you know it, but at the same time the dogwhistle is so clear and undeniable

the dude is not just some Very Online guy that loves to post about Azov battalion, he's very literally a fascist!

Moss Robeson hit the nail on the head when he called NAFO a death cult. They are new age fascists who want mass death and destruction, pretty spooky stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I keep hearing about these supposed counter-offensive gains, six weeks after it officially started and reflecting on how the first 48 hours are the most crucial point of a counter-offensive.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

I keep hearing about these supposed counter-offensive gains, six weeks after it officially started and reflecting on how the first 48 hours are the most crucial point of a counter-offensive.

They're gaining so much you won't believe how much they've gained. In fact they've gained so much there has been absolutely no time to update any of the maps. That's how much they've gained. So much.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

And at the low, low cost of: Ukrainians are not allowed to take any photos of cemeteries, or discuss cemeteries, and are discouraged from placing obituaries.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

First thing that came to mind was Stallone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE2-7a_F_B0

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ukraine have to pull off something big and fast

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nah. The pivot is simple. What counter offensive? There was never any counter offensive mentioned. You must have heard a mistranslation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

OVERVIEW

The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation’s Latin America Studies and Programs Center promotes individual freedom, respect for human rights, and democracy throughout Latin America, but especially Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua. Our researchers document human rights abuses, support in-region civil society and pro-democracy groups, and educate the American public and U.S. policy makers about the realities on the ground.

PROGRAMS

The Castro regime has developed sophisticated human trafficking and forced labor schemes to exploit the Cuban people, with emphasis on health personnel. The Cuban regime, in collusion with international communist allies, sends Communist Medical Brigades overseas to sell health care services for propaganda purposes. Communist commissaries and secret police agents oversee the Communist Medical Brigades’ workers and regularly confiscate between 75% and 90% of their wages. VOC’s Latin America Programs advocate for the rights of these workers, conducting research on Trafficking in Medical Personnel (TIMP) and providing legal assistance to these victims of communism.

:thunk:

imagine the horror of poor people getting healthcare, truly the most evil act of our time

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tankies are delusional and drowning in their own copium, as usual. Every day there's reports of Ukraine making steady progress in their counter-offensive while the Russian invaders remain cowering behind their trenches. If Ukraine were so weak and Russia so strong, why are the Russian forces still just staying put and giving up pieces of territory day by day?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ukraine should do that attack into Russia and then flank the entire eastern defences

yeah it probably won't work but it couldn't be any worse than this

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fizzy posted:

Tankies are delusional and drowning in their own copium, as usual. Every day there's reports of Ukraine making steady progress in their counter-offensive while the Russian invaders remain cowering behind their trenches. If Ukraine were so weak and Russia so strong, why are the Russian forces still just staying put and giving up pieces of territory day by day?

agreed

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
‘All Conditions to Retake Bakhmut Are in Place’ – Ukrainian Commander
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/19665

quote:

Russian forces in the besieged city are “semi-encircled,” according to Commander of the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksandr Syrskyi.

quote:

"Our people expect victories from us. Various victories, symbolic victories," [Syrskyi] added.

quote:

Earlier this month Kyiv said Russian forces in Bakhmut were “trapped” and the city was under Ukrainian fire control.

BACK 2 BAKHMUT
Six more months of Bakhmut news!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Ukraine should do that attack into Russia and then flank the entire eastern defences

yeah it probably won't work but it couldn't be any worse than this

Naruto run to dodge the artillery and make it to the Russian trenches.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

fizzy posted:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1682691910773665793?s=20

speng31b
May 8, 2010

zman gets big to be strong....free.fight.win!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lol, I love to search the forums for "TANKIE" and man, some people really hate the erotic book covers gimmick.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Zelensky fired his ambassador to the UK for suggesting that he shouldn't tell their western backers to go gently caress themselves.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/21/ukraine-ambassador-to-uk-out-of-a-job-criticising-zelenskiy-vadym-prystaiko

quote:

Ukraine’s ambassador to UK dismissed after criticising Zelenskiy

Volodymyr Zelenskiy has dismissed Ukraine’s ambassador to London after a row over the Ukrainian president being asked to be more grateful for the military help the west was providing to his country.

Vadym Prystaiko’s dismissal was announced in a presidential order, with no official reason being given. He has also been removed as Ukraine’s representative to the International Maritime Organization.

A row between the two men blew up after Prystaiko went on Sky News to question some of Zelenskiy’s behaviour around this month’s Nato summit, including after remarks by the UK defence secretary, Ben Wallace, suggesting the Ukrainians were treating the west as though it was Amazon.

Prystaiko was asked by Sky News if there was a hint of sarcasm in Zelenskiy’s promise that “each and every morning we’ll wake up and call Ben Wallace to thank him”.

He answered: “I don’t think that kind of sarcasm is healthy. We don’t have to show the Russians there is something between us. They have to know we are working together. If something happens, Ben can call me and tell me everything he wants.”

In the same interview, he pointed out that Britain had begged the US to send troops during the second world war, and in the end they did. But he added: “We are not expecting anyone to fight for us – we are only asking for equipment.”

It is highly unusual for a diplomat to criticise their national leaders in public, but Prystaiko clearly felt damage had been done to the relationship between Ukraine and its closest western partner that required repairing.

Immediately before his arrival at the Nato summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, Zelenskiy had been in a combative mood, sending out a statement on social media that it would be absurd if Nato did not provide Ukraine with some kind of date or timeline by which it would be invited to join the organisation. The summit’s communique, largely at US and German insistence, that was released later did not give a firm timetable or clear conditions for its membership.

Zelenskiy was subsequently given a dressing down by the US delegation and it was noticeable that on the second day of the summit, the Ukrainian president was studious in conveying his thanks – to the point of being solicitous – for the arms supplied. It is an acknowledged balancing act for Ukraine: to express gratitude for help being given while at the same time making clear the urgent need for the west to supply more effective arms, including planes.

Nevertheless, tensions with the west have simmered, with some Ukrainians of the view that not enough is being said about their troops dying on the battlefield every day – not only to regain their sovereignty, but to defend western values.

Prystaiko apparently had a difficult phone call with his president on Thursday that ended with his dismissal. He had been ambassador since June 2020 and was previously a foreign minister. In private he has always been skilled at conveying messages, often saying the biggest barrier he faced in seeking to secure more arms and support was western fear of Russian escalation.

Prystaiko, a former Ukrainian representative to Nato, has clashed over Wallace before, including immediately before the invasion when he said the British defence secretary was creating a sense of panic by suggesting there was a whiff of Munich-style appeasement in the air among some western allies.

He has also been frank in admitting that the Ukrainian counteroffensive has not been as successful as some hoped. “We are trying to understand where their defences are weakest. It is not as spectacular as everyone, including the Ukrainians, wanted to see it.”

His dismissal, alongside the expected departure of Wallace as defence secretary, means there will be major changes in a key part of the UK-Ukraine axis at a critical time for the offensive.

Prystaiko also caused waves in an interview with Newsweek in January in which he suggested Ukraine was suffering large losses. He said Ukraine was losing people “on the right and on the left”, and the numbers were “very large”.

“We’ve been at war for almost a year now. We’re losing people left and right. We don’t explain how many of the casualties were military or civilian, but you can imagine the numbers are huge,” Prystaiko told Newsweek.

In a later interview, he said “I understand from my contacts within the higher echelons of military power in Ukraine that losses are high, but not as high as the Russians. It was a clever move on our side not to advertise our losses,” he added.

He also suggested Ukraine would be put under pressure to leave Crimea to Russia. “The prevailing way of thinking is that Crimea will be a specific point at which we’ll have to think twice,” he said. He added: “I like the idea that the east is not an issue – we will have to free it. When we come to the point of liberating Crimea, we will think twice.”

The German ambassador to the UK, Miguel Berger, said it was very regrettable that the ambassador was being replaced, adding he had done an outstanding job to generate support for his country in the face of Russia’s war of aggression.

In July last year Zelenskyy recalled his country’s ambassador to Germany, Andriy Melnyk, after he had repeatedly inflamed parts of German public opinion over its energy links to Russia and supply of arms to Ukraine. He was finally dismissed after 8 years as envoy in Berlin when he appeared to defend a 20th century Nazi collaborator, and is now ambassador to Brazil.

His blunt style was judged by some as helping to jolt Germany out of its complacency over Vladimir Putin – he once said Olaf Scholz, the German chancellor, was “behaving like an offended liver sausage” – but others said he caused offence and merely entrenched opinions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ouch my left moob.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

Lol, I love to search the forums for "TANKIE" and man, some people really hate the erotic book covers gimmick.

Which they only see if they hateread here, correct?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BadOptics posted:

orc erotica is the ultimate forbidden fruit for the slava crowd, it's no surprise that they'd be jealous of those who partake in it freely

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“He was finally dismissed after 8 years as envoy in Berlin when he appeared to defend a 20th century Nazi collaborator, and is now ambassador to Brazil.”

A little too on the nose.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DancingShade posted:

Nah. The pivot is simple. What counter offensive? There was never any counter offensive mentioned. You must have heard a mistranslation.

We aren't at that phase yet, but give it a couple of months. If there still haven't been appreciable gains at that point, we'll start hearing that line ad nauseum.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:lol:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

orc erotica is the ultimate forbidden fruit for the slava crowd, it's no surprise that they'd be jealous of those who partake in it freely

We don't even make them! It's just books that already exist! They could read them if they wanted to!

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

sum posted:

Zelensky fired his ambassador to the UK for suggesting that he shouldn't tell their western backers to go gently caress themselves.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/21/ukraine-ambassador-to-uk-out-of-a-job-criticising-zelenskiy-vadym-prystaiko

So as we figured, the US gave Zelensky a major talking-to behind closed doors for going off-script. The proxy war must stay at the level of proxy and no further; Zelensky can't be deviating from his role.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

powerfully indian image.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like there'd be a nice side hustle in hawking orclust novels to the gibbis crowd

(note that i do not recommend interacting with the gibbis crowd under any circumstances)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

We don't even make them! It's just books that already exist! They could read them if they wanted to!

Right after I finish my historical novel set in Vandalic Africa that combines A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening with The Once and Future King, I’m going to sell out with Orc erotica.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pistol_Pete posted:

six weeks

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

And at the low, low cost of: Ukrainians are not allowed to take any photos of cemeteries, or discuss cemeteries, and are discouraged from placing obituaries.

ironically they ended up copying Zinky Boys. I’m not FF so I won’t write up a long bit about it but it’s an excellent overview by a Belarusian author about what life was like for Soviets in Afghanistan

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's incredible that winning the Cold War isn't enough for them, and they have to fantasize about scenarios that would've made them lose it.

The ironic thing is that winning the Cold War and the state of the Soviet Union in the late 80s has been backward projected, to where they could never have lost the Cold War and that the USSR was always a paper tiger masking its rusted out state with fresh coats of paint. This constant mindset leaves them.unable to actually consider anything deeply past or present

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fosborb posted:

six weeks

Every day that the war continues is a day more for the West to mobilize their industrial prowess while conversely Russia's corruption-corroded industries get ever more disrupted by sanctions. Every day that Putin doesn't withdraw his troops from Ukraine just increases his ultimate margin of defeat.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Isentropy posted:

ironically they ended up copying Zinky Boys. I’m not FF so I won’t write up a long bit about it but it’s an excellent overview by a Belarusian author about what life was like for Soviets in Afghanistan

alexievich is also a liberal dissident who joined the cabinet of belarusian guaido a couple of years back and whose primary literary inspiration was a raging yeltsinite anti-communist.

not saying it's not worth reading (War's Unwomanly Face is excellent), but her later stuff should be read with a critical eye, imo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizzy posted:

Every day that the war continues is a day more for the West to mobilize their industrial prowess while conversely Russia's corruption-corroded industries get ever more disrupted by sanctions. Every day that Putin doesn't withdraw his troops from Ukraine just increases his ultimate margin of defeat.

You seem to have merged a hundred different on narrative talking heads into a single line of text. We probably don't need the other 99.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If corpse explosion was a barb skill it would cost 50 rage and have a 45 second cool down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fizzy posted:

the actual quote below that map:

Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak has repeated that the counter-offensive will be slow and difficult but said it will prevent Russian forces from retaking the initiative on the battlefield.

lol