Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I recall in, like, 2011 and 2015 some of the keeper play was pretty poor even on some of the better teams. That has decidedly not been the case in the matches I've seen in this WC. Theus has been very good for Haiti, and Thanh was excellent for Vietnam last night against the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slorb
May 14, 2002
Haiti rules, they're playing really physical but not in a dirty way, in a I'm going to take the ball from you and you can't stop me way.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kick save, and a beauty by Earps. Haiti deserves a goal.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Omfg that was close.

Got it with her studs

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Kinda hosed up that the only reason England are in the lead is due to an incredibly stupid play by a Haitian defender.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, that was an all time boner.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Love that the crowd is fully behind Haiti.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao wtf

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That was a very good performance by Haiti that still came up short.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Lol wtf just happened

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

England have still never lost a WC game after scoring first, but some of that finishing was absolutely shocking.

Haiti are quite a decent team, they should give Denmark and China a few problems.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Average attendance through 8 games is just shy of 35000 a match. Pretty good, but I'll be curious to see if they can get close to 1999 and 2007 when the average (with only 16 teams) was over 37000.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Average attendance through 8 games is just shy of 35000 a match. Pretty good, but I'll be curious to see if they can get close to 1999 and 2007 when the average (with only 16 teams) was over 37000.

Probably should have had one of the host nations actually care about football for that to happen.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Gotta say Steel Roses is a top tier team name.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chinese defender tried to depants Harder there.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Denmark looking a bit scuffed in the opening minutes.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Thomsen is one to watch by the way, she's scored some bangers for Vålerenga over the years and she's frankly too good for the Norwegian league.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oof, that looks like it hurt.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Haiti were really good

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

China has looked the slightly better side in this first half, but the teams are pretty evenly matched.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Two bad teams

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
this tourney did not need to be 32 teams

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Some chances in the last 5 minutes for both sides, Denmark looking much better. Still no goals, though.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Two teams determined not to win this match

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That was definitely a handball in the box, but apparently VAR isn't interested.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Phwoar capital b Big header

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nice goal, keeper should have had it but it was a harder save than I thought on first glance.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I took a shower after the half and came back to the goal and it doesn't look like I missed much.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Marking on set pieces is overrated

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Denmark goal was nice, seems like they were desperate for the final 10-15 minutes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
lol, apparently that was the first game of the tournament to not feature a penalty

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wonder how long it will be until we get a game where *both* teams score.

gg Canada/Nigeria for being the only scoreless game somehow

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I wish instead of scores/spoilers, the result was labeled good/bad, then I'd know if it's worth spending two hours streaming some of these matches

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

whypick1 posted:

Wonder how long it will be until we get a game where *both* teams score.

gg Canada/Nigeria for being the only scoreless game somehow

Yeah this has been a rough start. So far the only games I’ve seen have been either 2 bad teams or 1 bad team/attack vs defense. I missed England Haiti but it sounds like it was competitive at least.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Sleep schedule already ruined by the footy but there’s some tasty matchups today.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

skasion posted:

Yeah this has been a rough start. So far the only games I’ve seen have been either 2 bad teams or 1 bad team/attack vs defense. I missed England Haiti but it sounds like it was competitive at least.

I missed the first day, but yeah otherwise England v Haiti was probably the best quality competitive game I've seen so far I think.

Also feels like there's been a lot of teams attempting Guardiola-style cutbacks across the box, while defences are just packing that space and making it super hard to score.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Looks kinda wet.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Sure seems like this is going to be another "winning team wastes a bunch of chances but eventually cruises to victory while losing team has exactly 0 scoring opportunities" game.

E: that would've been loving awesome if SA had scored from midfield

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Warren Barton does love to hear himself talk.