Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope Walsh and Ben also go down.

if the first gen, and the only successful crop of regressive "young" wonderboys all go down it would be a minor win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I for one am shocked that it has turned out that Crowder is a monstrous rear end in a top hat who ran a terrible workplace.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I haven't heard of Jones being on Chowder's show/in his studio in a while, amazing if he's been such a piece of crap that not even Alex Jones wants to deal with him.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I can understand weathering the ball-showing game from Waiting in exchange for free drugs in addition to regular payment because that seems like the level of humor Crowder is on. Probably not what is/was happening, though.

Or that's absolutely what's in play because that's exactly the level Crowder is on and the descriptions are vague for that reason. Still abusive, but there's some meta humor if he's still running with a bad joke that was clearly abusive at the time nearly 20 years later.

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 21, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My local WGOP station that airs Hannity's show had Kamala Harris speaking in Jacksonville uninterrupted going off on Florida's attempts to whitewash slavery in schools. It was a good speech and I kept waiting for Sean to chime in, selectively edit it, talk over it and cut it off with snide comments about how stupid she is by catching her misspeaking or whatever like he usually does. But for some reason, the station just aired it without Sean telling us why we should hate it.

Here's the speech.

https://www.news4jax.com/video/local-news/2023/07/21/raw-speech-vp-kamala-harris-in-jacksonville-/

Also cross posted from the USCE thread

https://time.com/6291179/texas-climate-impacts-and-science-denial/

While Texas Heats Up, Its Climate Denying Politicians Seek Federal Help

quote:

Texas Governor Greg Abbott, and the state’s two senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, are setting the new standard for chutzpah when it comes to juggling climate adaptation with denial and promotion of fossil fuels.

Texas is now in the third week of a record-setting heat wave, exacerbated by climate change, but Abbott and the legislature are doing everything they can to slow the shift to renewables and promote fossil fuels. And, despite their dismissal of the threat of global warming, Abbott, Cornyn, and Cruz have been lobbying vigorously for the federal government to pay the lion’s share of hugely expensive coastal defenses to protect Galveston and surrounding areas from sea level rise and mega storms associated with climate change.

From sea level rise and hurricanes, to extreme heat, Texas is one of the most threatened states in the U.S. when it comes to the impacts of climate change. It ranked first in the number of billion dollar disasters per year since 2001, and a 2020 analysis by ProPublica and The New York Times of America’s 3,000 counties revealed that, of the 135 counties deemed most at risk from a changing climate, 24 are in Texas. In that group is Harris county, the third most populous county in the United States.

To adapt, the state must build up its defenses. And ever since a plan to bolster coastal defenses around Galveston was first developed following the $30 billion damage inflicted by Hurricane Ike in 2008, Abbott, Cornyn, and Cruz have been trying to get federal help to fund the massive infrastructure project. In total, Texas politicians are looking to the federal government to shoulder the lion’s share of over $60 billion in estimated costs for better storm and flooding infrastructure projects (including bolstering a sea wall and wastewater tunnels) resulting from a threat they’ve been actively ignoring—and making worse.

So now the party of small government wants our liberal commie president to help keep their residents from roasting alive. Worth pointing out too that the Texas government struck down a law that requires workers a water break. So I guess climate change is totally real now and it's high time the government stepped in to address it.

Amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Don't see it reported here, but there was something funny happened on the fringes of right wing media the other day.

A Z-list right winger streamer, Ethan Ralph, a loving horrible person in every way, had a meltdown and burned all his bridges for no reason.
He was one of Nick Fuentes' group, albeit on the fringe of it. A political version of Darksydephil, people watch him mostly to see what disaster he would self inflict on himself.
Anyway, Nick Fuentes was having some meeting or convention, and Ethan asked if he could come and appear.
Nick said ok, and so Ethan flew to whatever city it was in.
However he ended up getting drunk on the airplane, and turned up at the meeting.
They didn't want him there drunk, so hired a room and told him to go sleep it off.
Ethan took this as a 'youre out forever' and not 'come back when sober' so started to doxx everyone.
It's been a few days now of him making GBS threads on everyone he knew, and everyone higher on the grift chain just ignoring him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Every time I see a Bud Light truck I always wonder how many of them get harassed, flipped off and insulted for delivering gay beer. I bet it's a non zero amount of truck drivers.

Decided to google it and this is all I found that wasn't the NY Post

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/05/27/bud-light-truck-drivers-homophobic-abuse/

Don't know about this source but I'm inclined to believe this happens

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

happyhippy posted:

Ethan took this as a 'youre out forever' and not 'come back when sober' so started to doxx everyone.
It's been a few days now of him making GBS threads on everyone he knew, and everyone higher on the grift chain just ignoring him.

I think thequartering also did something like that, though he's still around so let's see how it works for this guy

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

BiggerBoat posted:

Every time I see a Bud Light truck I always wonder how many of them get harassed, flipped off and insulted for delivering gay beer. I bet it's a non zero amount of truck drivers.

Decided to google it and this is all I found that wasn't the NY Post

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/05/27/bud-light-truck-drivers-homophobic-abuse/

Don't know about this source but I'm inclined to believe this happens

I don't understand how conservatives aren't completely exhausted from being angry at everything all the loving time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mustang posted:

I don't understand how conservatives aren't completely exhausted from being angry at everything all the loving time.
Yeah seriously how do you even have the time to be upset at literally everything

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

School Library Journal's coverage of censorship used to amount to an annual list of challenged books and nostalgic "remember when Maurice Sendak was controversial" pieces.

Now it's a regular roundup of material removals, firings, and angry school board meetings: https://www.slj.com/story/Jay-Z-Launches-Anti-Book-Ban-Initiative-Ta-Nehisi-Coates-Attends-School-Board-Meeting-Censorship-News

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah seriously how do you even have the time to be upset at literally everything

It's addicting. There's also a reason that you end up with folks sitting for hours watching nothing but Fox or Newsmax or whatever during their downtime; it's a steady stream of angry chemicals that make them feel good for being on the correct team.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why do we have a thread about Right Wing Media when we hate right wing media? It's similar imo.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

One could argue that it's a good news topic since RWM has a significant influence on American politics, but yeah

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't think it's the same though. They're getting worked up about cultural poo poo that has not a single meaningful impact on their day to day life.

Republicans on the other hand are constantly passing laws targeting marginalized groups to cater to their uneducated white voters, things that do actually impact people's lives.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I feel like I need to keep an eye on this stuff because it directly affects my life by inspiring legislation and mass shootings, etc. I could be wrong about benefitting from knowing about it, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xand_Man posted:

One could argue that it's a good news topic since RWM has a significant influence on American politics, but yeah

I follow the thread so that I'm aware of what bullshit is happening in the RWM sphere and it helps to arm me against that propaganda for when I inevitably encounter it in the wild. But I don't obsessively watch or consume media that makes me angry for hours a day (I got that out of my system in college when I played DOTA for "fun").

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I follow the thread so that I'm aware of what bullshit is happening in the RWM sphere and it helps to arm me against that propaganda for when I inevitably encounter it in the wild. But I don't obsessively watch or consume media that makes me angry for hours a day (I got that out of my system in college when I played DOTA for "fun").

Pretty much this. I monitor this stuff to learn about the bullshit that my coworkers and family members are telling me and to learn about why people believe crazy bullshit. I don't subject myself to much of it and when I do it's anger inducing. Hard to think about how many people inject this stuff right into their veins every day but it goes a way towards explaining why they hate everything all the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s rare that this stuff makes me angry anymore but it’s important to keep an eye on the Chuds

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think you have to have an empty life first, and you find that anger fills the emptiness. I’m reminded of the goon who went to jail for shooting the meth nazi’s toes off. He was miserable and alone and fixated on “defending” Portland from nazis by doing dangerous poo poo like taking on a bunch of nazis in a fight, but he never would have done it if he hadn’t been dumped and lost all his friends. I bet that miserable loneliness and boredom comes first, and the political anger is a way of coping.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

That tracks, because American Family Radio's current endorsement of Donald Trump is a big fat "uhhhhhhh...???"

Like they're undoubtedly going to fall back into MAGA lockstep as soon as he confirms the nomination, but currently they just can't reconcile the fact that he's the reason why abortion is banned in a third of the states now, but also he says swears and doesn't hate LGBTQ people as much with the same fervor that they do. I think they've sorta noticed that his first term was a fluke and they're still trying to keep the hope of President Pat Robertson alive.

Trump is not the reason, he did not choose the soctus nominees, they were picked for him by RW thinktanks. Does anybody honestly believe that Trump has the intellectual curiosity to seek out, research and vet conservative judges when he barely understands the basic mechanisms of the federal government?

Trump is racist and sexist in the same passive way that all lovely old men are, he simply does not care enough to actively (as opposed to passively and cravenly deny housing applications from the comfort of his office) harm any group. He said he loved the gays because that what people wanted to hear at that time, and when Focus on the Family, the Federalist Society or whoever else had his ear that day put a list of judges in front of him he picked them on surface level details, either purely on a photograph or at most a short paragraph blurb of how they would benefit Trump.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xand_Man posted:

For example, this completely unhinged story from *fanfare* Florida

quote:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has told his government to investigate whether Bud Light's parent company breached its duties to shareholders as a conservative backlash continues to rage over the beer brand's deal with transgender social media influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

DeSantis, who is running for the Republican presidential nomination, instructed Lamar Taylor, the interim executive director of the State Board of Administration, to immediately launch a review into "how AB InBev's conduct has impacted and continues to impact the value of SBA's AB InBev
holdings."

The party of small government! Seriously, though, this is a direct result of a freakout from RWM.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This thread and the crazy email forwards/social media post thread are extremely useful at keeping up on whatever dumb bullshit I'm going to hear from my mil, which means I can follow the source and be ready to debunk whatever it is. Not so useful to strangers, but she's actually a very nice person unfortunately locked into the RWM ecosystem. So she's actually pretty responsive when I do.

Thanks to all that wade in the much so I don't have to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dirk the Average posted:

It's addicting. There's also a reason that you end up with folks sitting for hours watching nothing but Fox or Newsmax or whatever during their downtime; it's a steady stream of angry chemicals that make them feel good for being on the correct team.

It's this. If you stay angry enough for long enough it becomes a default state of being and pretty difficult to break out of, particularly when the things you're angry about made-up bullshit spun to keep you in that feverish state of simmering rage.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think you have to have an empty life first, and you find that anger fills the emptiness. I’m reminded of the goon who went to jail for shooting the meth nazi’s toes off. He was miserable and alone and fixated on “defending” Portland from nazis by doing dangerous poo poo like taking on a bunch of nazis in a fight, but he never would have done it if he hadn’t been dumped and lost all his friends. I bet that miserable loneliness and boredom comes first, and the political anger is a way of coping.

I'm trans. I feel as if people like me are under attack, and that I need to know what those attacks look like so I know what is on the horizon and so I can combat them my life.

I would strongly prefer to not have to give a poo poo.

If your response to that is that I must have an empty life that I'm trying to fill with anger, I think it's pretty clear you are approaching this topic as someone who will never be personally affected by it. And that's great, we need all the help and support we can get, but we can't all be so lucky.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm trans. I feel as if people like me are under attack, and that I need to know what those attacks look like so I know what is on the horizon and so I can combat them my life.

If your response to that is that I must have an empty life that I'm trying to fill with anger, I think it's pretty clear you are approaching this topic as someone who will never be personally affected by it. And that's great, we need all the help and support we can get, but we can't all be so lucky.

I think he was saying you have to have an empty life in order to fill your life with anger and made up problems a la a right wing media consumer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I mean that people with empty lives can get maladaptively fixated on chasing negative emotions, not that there aren’t genuine reasons for organizing against fascists. It’s just an example. Anyone who is able to organize against fascists for any length of time probably isn’t like that, because they’re getting involved to protect others and actually care about what happens. It can be a good way to find community, actually. But people looking for an excuse to die in a gunfight aren’t open to that.

It’s the same thing with watching discourse and keeping track of the poo poo in this thread: there are definitely worthwhile reasons for doing it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty much this. I monitor this stuff to learn about the bullshit that my coworkers and family members are telling me and to learn about why people believe crazy bullshit. I don't subject myself to much of it and when I do it's anger inducing. Hard to think about how many people inject this stuff right into their veins every day but it goes a way towards explaining why they hate everything all the time.

This is why I stopped reading the USPOL thread circa 2018 - I was miserable and the outrage was like nicotine: really bad for me, but it briefly made me feel a little better. I don't think it's a coincidence that I quit smoking around that time too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

kzin602 posted:

Trump is racist and sexist in the same passive way that all lovely old men are, he simply does not care enough to actively (as opposed to passively and cravenly deny housing applications from the comfort of his office) harm any group.

This I feel is the most important piece of the puzzle for his popularity. Modern GOP voters don't want a racist president , they want a president who gives them permission to be racist

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kzin602 posted:

Trump is racist and sexist in the same passive way that all lovely old men are,

Passive racists don't take out full-page ads in the newspapers calling for the death of the Central Park Five.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Slightly off topic, but there was a bit more to Toeshooter McLovin. Based on his posts, he was married at one point and had a son. He was a stay at home dad working a gig job on Sundays. He never went into detail but he got divorced rather abruptly and had to scramble to get housing and employment. Somewhere during all this some chud fired into a crowd he was in and narrowly avoided killing him, he had a pretty gnarly bullet graze across his chest. Then he later shoots at some proud boys, shooting Tiny Toese's Tiny Toe off, only to get arrested and charged shortly afterwards. His girlfriend at the time rolled on him pretty much immediately.

If we are to take his version of events at face value then my guess is that he gradually got more radical to the point that his wife might have felt like his activism was compromising their safety and broke up with him. A combination of that and getting shot were probably major tipping points.

This might also explain how most right wing protestors are all talk-if they themselves have a lot at stake then there's always that paranoia they could get cancel cultured.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh my god

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1682916299536474112?s=20

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ooofff if thats what his hair is like maybe he should keep wearing the beanie. or try to get an expert to tell him what looks best with what he's got/can do.

or go bald (like has any man just shaving it all looked worse?)

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Why does everyone do the arms-crossed smugface.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Trivia posted:

The crossed arms protect the wheel inside and the smug face tells the world "do not enter"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Trivia posted:

They're 90s kids

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Trivia posted:

Directed to by photographers who see it as a pose projecting confidence.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Falun Gong! Hell yeah! Get that energy wheel spinning!!!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Trivia posted:

Join us. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
If anyone ever refers to me as an “American Thought Leader” please shoot them and me.