Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sankis posted:

Grates every few feet outside to collect the cave adaptation vomit

The water moat may be 'too good for the goblins' sir but you have to admit our tavern was better trafficked before we opted for the scenic puke waterfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Lava-heated whiskey moat with a mine cart mister so you can broil invaders in burning clouds of superheated whiskey mist

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Oh man if the magic system ever happens.

"A wizard came to my fort and turned all my magma into snot and now my smelters are all hosed up."

"Same wizard turned all my wine into bumblebee venom."

Actually I would love to have a bumblebee venom moat.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

"A wizard came to my fort and turned all my magma into snot and now my smelters are all hosed up."

This would unironically result in total wizard genocide. The magma smelters are sacred instruments.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Melting elves in boiling hot maple syrup
Don't threaten me with a good time.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Complications posted:

This would unironically result in total wizard genocide. The magma smelters are sacred instruments.

Maybe we'd get a wizardblight, like how we have gnomeblight, and all entrances have a drizzle of wizardblight and a whole bunch of melted wizard goo at the entrance. :allears:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I embarked with a ton of marble but couldn't make any thrones or tables out of it. When I checked the stockpile, the marble uses say "make steel bars" "make pig iron" etc. What the hell haha

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

parthenocarpy posted:

I embarked with a ton of marble but couldn't make any thrones or tables out of it. When I checked the stockpile, the marble uses say "make steel bars" "make pig iron" etc. What the hell haha

It's an economic stone, for the uses you listed, therefore you have to go into your labor settings and enable its use for mundane things like stone furniture.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In this case, marble is a flux stone.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah marble can be used to make steel, so the game reserves it for that use by default so you don't unwittingly turn it all into mugs and then scream when your fledgling steel industry abruptly putters to a halt

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Thanks guys. This only seemed to be an issue when embarking with marble, since I've made furniture out of it previously.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I believe if it's native to the area it'll automatically mark it as okay to use for mundane things since the assumption is you'll have a basically unlimited amount of it, which you wouldn't if you just embarked with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's one of those things that's really helpful if you've been playing the game forever and don't want to waste valuable resources by accident but is completely baffling and nearly impossible to discover on your own if you're new. I appreciate that Dwarf Fortress has things like this, but I don't begrudge people their frustration with it either.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's one of those things that's really helpful if you've been playing the game forever and don't want to waste valuable resources by accident but is completely baffling and nearly impossible to discover on your own if you're new. I appreciate that Dwarf Fortress has things like this, but I don't begrudge people their frustration with it either.

Oh, I don't allow myself to get frustrated in this game. I love that kind of poo poo and sorta expect it. If I can get a waterfall going and some gem encrusted furniture I'm pretty happy and just start over and try to explore some different biome.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

What's the current status of the steam version? Has DFhack and the nice QoL tools been made to work with it yet? Worth waiting on anything else before starting a new fortress?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Dante posted:

What's the current status of the steam version? Has DFhack and the nice QoL tools been made to work with it yet? Worth waiting on anything else before starting a new fortress?

DFHack is on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660/DFHack__Dwarf_Fortress_Modding_Engine/

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

New dev update dropped on the Kitfox channel:

https://youtu.be/6s5uijK6_6A

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Excellent, I missed this entirely. Thanks man!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Aight, new map and new fort "The orbs of grasping" (because I'm a 14yo in a 48yos body) started. I have a plan for this for a change. After I created this one (my only real map criteria is "at least a couple of main landmass volcanos" ) I had a read of the legends, and it turns out theres a fortress called "claspiron" that was the very first thing established in the world , by some dwarf king, and it went on fine for about 30 years before getting overrun with gobbos.

Its currently only got a population of 75 gobs and I think thats something I should be able to run down and take over with 20 decently skilled and armed dorfs in iron and steel with war bears.

So my *theory* is, that if I leave it occupied with my guys, MAYBE I can then reclaim it? If so I take that , build it up to be the center of dorfen civilization , right at the location where dorfs first entered the world. Some tolkien poo poo basically.

But for now I build up a fighting fort capable of making GBS threads out an army of well armed bruisers to run a war of attrition against the local gobs to prepare for the invasion.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

duck monster posted:

So my *theory* is, that if I leave it occupied with my guys, MAYBE I can then reclaim it? If so I take that , build it up to be the center of dorfen civilization , right at the location where dorfs first entered the world. Some tolkien poo poo basically.

But for now I build up a fighting fort capable of making GBS threads out an army of well armed bruisers to run a war of attrition against the local gobs to prepare for the invasion.

Please keep us updated. This sounds badass :black101:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Zeg posted:

Please keep us updated. This sounds badass :black101:

Tried to just send in a gang of 10 mid level axe dudes on a raid aaaaand 2 came back. Apparently they have a flame demon :/

I might have to level up my guys a bit more to take this one on.

Also, 2 dorfs drowned in the river heading off the map :ughh:

edit: Looking at the logs. They have 10+ flame demons. This is going to be....... troublesome. Not the usual steamroll.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 22, 2023

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Honestly I'm not even sure how you deal with legendary+10000 donkeydevils or whatever when it comes to invasions. Get someone up to legendary +5, all masterwork steel, and hope for the best? Maybe adamantine or divine metals can grant that extra edge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Steel and dwarven courage. It may be a tragic loss that contributes to the end of dwarfkind, but the halls of our forebears must be won back!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Appoda posted:

Honestly I'm not even sure how you deal with legendary+10000 donkeydevils or whatever when it comes to invasions. Get someone up to legendary +5, all masterwork steel, and hope for the best? Maybe adamantine or divine metals can grant that extra edge.

Send a shitton of dwarwes and demand surrender instead of trying to fight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pull the fortress self destruct lever

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

pull the fortress self destruct lever

It's the unlabeled one right next to the main gate lever.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Suddenly all the fish cleaners and cheese makers have had their purpose in life realized: the barracks must be filled! :black101:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Is a wheelbarrow a storage item? I've had issues with dwarves not stockpiling prepared meals correctly in the past, and in this current run, I have over a hundred roasts sitting in a stockpile on the same tile as a wheelbarrow. They are not rotting, but the tile icon shows the prepared meals, and in my experience this has always led to miasma. I have plenty of empty barrels. Not using any mods.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

If they're in a non-refuse food stockpile they won't ever rot. I think the wheelbarrow is just a coincidence.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Okay thanks. Next time I'm unsure about a mechanic like this I'll come here instead of spending thirty minutes pausing and unpausing in anticipation of miasma clouds that never came

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've become obsessed with engraving walls tailored to dwarf needs. I saw a video from Hoodie Hair where he talked about setting up personalized rooms, giving every dwarf exactly what they wanted and one thing they hated, so like one lady hated spiders so he engraved spiders on every floor tile of her room. Love this poo poo.

But I've also become obsessed with good looking ascii forts, and its jarring to take, say, Black Bronze, which looks great in purple ascii, but the engraved tile is like pink and orange. Do you guys have any material suggestions for good glyph color setups? I like black/white/red. Couldn't find a glyph color guide anywhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

here you go

ed: oh wait you said ascii

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my stockpiles and I’m about to nuke the lot of them and start over or start doing quantum barrels or whatever

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my stockpiles and I’m about to nuke the lot of them and start over or start doing quantum barrels or whatever

What seems to be the problem? Dwarves not bringing stuff to them? Too much stuff in them? Not enough rocks in the rock stockpile? Show me the stockpile I'll kick its rear end.

Edit- Just don't ask me to do anything with bags. Cursed things.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Further Reading posted:

If they're in a non-refuse food stockpile they won't ever rot. I think the wheelbarrow is just a coincidence.

The important part to remember is that definition of "refuse" is "has any of the items under the refuse category enabled". This is critical if you are using a single giant multi-use stockpile, and for example want to store and recover bones. If you go enable them, all the food in the stockpile will near-instantly rot.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

What seems to be the problem? Dwarves not bringing stuff to them? Too much stuff in them? Not enough rocks in the rock stockpile? Show me the stockpile I'll kick its rear end.

Edit- Just don't ask me to do anything with bags. Cursed things.

I created a finished goods and furniture stockpile and some rear end in a top hat keeps putting seeds in it or something I don’t know

Anyway I’ve decided the solution is two-part:

I will build an insane amount of bins and see if that helps and then I will dig straight down until I find a cavern full of ghouls to unleash on the fort or something

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

That was the kind of behavior I was expecting when I made a fort full of liars and schemers, but they actually just made friends with everyone instead of doing anything weird

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

I created a finished goods and furniture stockpile and some rear end in a top hat keeps putting seeds in it or something I don’t know

Anyway I’ve decided the solution is two-part:

I will build an insane amount of bins and see if that helps and then I will dig straight down until I find a cavern full of ghouls to unleash on the fort or something

So bins wouldn't typically help with seeds, worse I am pretty sure that objects in a stockpile won't get resorted when you add in a new bin (ie: if there is a stockpile full of socks and you add a bin, I don't think anyone will go around and pick the individual socks off each tile in the stockpile to place them into the bin, new socks or discarded socks will properly go into the bin so long as a dwarf isn't holding it)

What I'm gonna suggest here is first go into the problem stockpile and check out the settings to determine if the food tab has been set to permitted. Make sure to take a good look at the seeds portion of the food tab as that's the problem area here. A less likely possibility is that somehow a food stockpile and a finished goods stockpile got placed over one another but I think the game will prevent that from happening. I'd check for it anyway, select the stockpile on the tile where you're seeing the seeds and look through the items on the tile, iirc this will also list the stockpile itself as one of the items in the window but my memory on that is kinda vague. If you aren't seeing anything we might be able to check this one off.

Next thing to consider, are these seeds in a bag? Do they look like maybe they're even near a bag? Bags are fucky. If I'm remembering right a bag counts as furniture for stockpile purposes some of the time but also sometimes they get put in the food stockpile if they're full of plant materials (such as seeds). So they shouldn't be getting put in there but idk maybe your dwarves went to grab a bag to fill with seeds and then somehow they got scared and dropped all the seeds and the bag. Possibly from seeing or participating in a fight or tantrum.

Final consideration, look at your food stockpile's permissions. Are they set to receive seeds? The seeds might be laying uncollected because there is no valid stockpile to put them in. A food stockpile with default settings should be able to accept seeds in either bag form or barrel form or just splayed out on individual tiles in the stockpile. Make sure you have a proper place to put them if you don't already.

If all of these possibilities have been ruled out (ie: this isn't bag fuckery, this isn't a lack of space in a stockpile that accepts seeds, you don't have seeds permitted in your furniture or finished goods stockpile) then the problem might be that hauling is a fairly low priority task and that your dwarves just haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet. You might need to put more dwarves on hauling duty and cancel some construction projects or work orders or stone smoothing/block making or whatever else you might have going on and just let them have some time to work through all of the unhandled hauling tasks in the fort. If the seeds really aren't permitted in the stockpile that they've been placed in they are considered to be the same as if they were laying on an unused tile and EVENTUALLY a dwarf will get around to moving them where they're supposed to go.

Some long shot considerations: if the stockpile is also zoned for dumping it's possible the seeds could be brought there if they were designated for dumping. It's also possible the dwarves can't path to the stockpile to collect the seeds (I feel like you'd notice this pretty quickly though).

Finally I wish you luck should you decide this isn't worth the trouble and to just unleash ghoul hell or lizardpeople on your fortress. Namaste.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

You were right, bins didn’t fix it, but I’m looking at the stockpile I hypothetically have set to take seeds for farming. I think this fort is hosed in the long run.

I keep taking on immigrants and it’s going to eventually overburden my meager farm, but I’ve got a lot of booze so I will soldier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

krispykremessuck posted:

You were right, bins didn’t fix it, but I’m looking at the stockpile I hypothetically have set to take seeds for farming. I think this fort is hosed in the long run.

I keep taking on immigrants and it’s going to eventually overburden my meager farm, but I’ve got a lot of booze so I will soldier on.

Bins aren't used for seeds anyway. The logic is that barrels hold bags which hold seeds so bins wouldn't impact the situation.

I think this can only happen if it used to be a more generic stockpile but it was changed later. If its a furniture stockpile new haul jobs will only put empty bags/sand bags in it, but if there were already bags of other stuff present maybe they'll be considered to still be in a correct place and won't be moved?

You could try deleting that furniture/finished good stockpile and see if the Dwarves grab the now unassigned bags. Once moved either remake the stockpiles or put them somewhere else to be extra sure that stuff is being moved.