Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mokotow posted:

Just made a check on all major Polish news sites and on the radio and there’s nothing about this.

There has been news in the last few days of Poland moving 3000 troops to the Belarusian border in response to supposed Wagner training border troops there.

I did the same and cannot find a source other than a few thousand troops moving to the frontier due to the rhetoric against Poland and Wagner moving in. My source states that Russian equipment is being moved to the border of Belarus and Poland. The news is like hours old at this point so let's revisit this Monday and see if any news sources pick it up

Also, the Black Sea fleet conducted practice drills in the Black Sea of shooting floating objects and ship seizure drills. Which is a response to turkeys new language on potentially protecting the grain deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On one hand Russia attacking Poland is insane idiot poo poo for fuckers.

On the other hand, Russia attacked Ukraine and the 3-day special military operation is now going on for 1.5 years with the aggressive invading force digging trenches and trying to hold onto whatever they had in the first 24 hours, so...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EorayMel posted:

On one hand Russia attacking Poland is insane idiot poo poo for fuckers.

On the other hand, Russia attacked Ukraine and the 3-day special military operation is now going on for 1.5 years with the aggressive invading force digging trenches and trying to hold onto whatever they had in the first 24 hours, so...

You know you never know, I mean that guy that was saying Russia is winning the war also said that Putin is a germanophile. So maybe he is maybe he's trying to attack Poland hoping that the Brits and french don't get involved.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah it seems the Russian plan at this point is basically just dig in, mine like crazy, and just try to stalemate until… who knows what

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah it seems the Russian plan at this point is basically just dig in, mine like crazy, and just try to stalemate until… who knows what

Right wing take over of key countries. Flood Europe with starving people from Africa.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russia can stalemate the poo poo out of Ukraine if Ukraine can't break through. 0% chance Ukraine wins this with attrition.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tai posted:

Russia can stalemate the poo poo out of Ukraine if Ukraine can't break through. 0% chance Ukraine wins this with attrition.

You know I'm just not sure that's correct. The last thing that Russia has in reserve is the rosgvardia. They are spent manpower wise. I mean unless they start drafting children into the army or just Mass mobilization / general mobilization with all the favorites flavors of abductions and press ganging.

I think yes they will not win it completely with attrition. But breakthroughs occur more often the more attrition you have. If you cannot replace the people quickly enough your Frontline loses its elasticity and holes form.

Are the Russians really going to be able to go on forever getting hit by cluster munitions ? I mean even at 500 people a day lost they need to be recruiting 15,000 a month to stay afloat manpower wise.

15,000 seems like a small number compared to the 300,000 people Russia runs. But it's like 5% of their combat forces every loving month.

But it's still a thousand kilometer wide front. You lose 5% of the people manning that front. That's 50 km worth of area that is now less defended. Or the entire front is less defended.

And remember too, Ukraine doesn't need to do more than defending even now. They can use cluster munitions from very far away to keep the enemy rebuilding and constantly afraid of

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 22, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tai posted:

Well, not with 1:1 attrition. You might say that a sufficiently favorable ratio to "win" is still a pyrrhic victory and I wouldn't disagree, but it isn't flatly impossible imo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You know I'm just not sure that's correct. The last thing that Russia has in reserve is the rosgvardia. They are spent manpower wise. I mean unless they start drafting children into the army or just Mass mobilization / general mobilization with all the favorites flavors of abductions and press ganging.

I think yes they will not win it completely with attrition. But breakthroughs occur more often the more attrition you have. If you cannot replace the people quickly enough your Frontline loses its elasticity and holes form.

Are the Russians really going to be able to go on forever getting hit by cluster munitions ? I mean even at 500 people a day lost they need to be recruiting 15,000 a month to stay afloat manpower wise.

15,000 seems like a small number compared to the 300,000 people Russia runs. But it's like 5% of their combat forces every loving month.

You're ignoring two things though. Ukraine casualties and ammo supply. It will run out before Russia

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

redshirt posted:

Right wing take over of key countries. Flood Europe with starving people from Africa.

This could be a likely strategy. Pull Wagner out of Ukraine to sow chaos in Africa and further ramp up migration to Europe. People get scared of immigrants and vote in right wing governments that would be more willing to end support for Ukraine. Putin can now keep what they have held and without NATO support Ukraine may have to capitulate. The Russian army has been much better at holding territory and than trying to advance and seize more, so unless a miracle happens for them I doubt we will see another large Russian offensive like the failed one earlier this year.

The big question I have about this outcome is what happens to Ukraine's NATO bid? In this scenario does a right-wing Europe force Ukraine into a peace deal giving Russia a Black Sea corridor then rug pull NATO membership leaving the door open for future Russian invasion? Does Ukraine join NATO with Putin considering it an inevitability that's acceptable now that he has better access to Crimea and the black sea?

Maybe Putin shits himself inside out and the oligarchs call it off and go back to selling oil to Europe pretending that it never happend?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nato would crush Wagner in days. Hell just NATO air power would obliterate the Wagner and any Belorussian army.

What the gently caress is this idiot thinking?

Russia doesn't remotely have the force to take open up another front in Poland, let alone NATO.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 22, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Nato would crush Wagner in days. Hell just NATO air power would obliterate the Wagner and any Belorussian army.

What the gently caress is is this idiot thinking?

Russia doesn't remotely have the force to take open up another front in Poland, let alone NATO.

I suspect it's just tough talk for internal consumption. I don't think Putin has any illusions as to the strength of NATO.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

TulliusCicero posted:

Now *where* have I heard about this before????

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect it's just tough talk for internal consumption. I don't think Putin has any illusions as to the strength of NATO.

At this point I'm not sure I trust his common sense.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tai posted:

You're ignoring two things though. Ukraine casualties and ammo supply. It will run out before Russia

The fact that Russia has a lot of ammo and a lot of people does not mean they have all of those at the front where the counterattack is happening. You have to move both of those, which means that those resources are not in the other places. You can't just click Manpower and Ammo and drag them over to Ukraine and supply the entire army at once with both of those.

TulliusCicero posted:

What the gently caress is this idiot thinking?

This already happened once when he had Wagner attack that American base in Syria and got his Wagner/Syrian army ripped to shreds.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 22, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Tai posted:

Eh, various commentators have accurately pointed out recently that the quantitative advantage for raw manpower does not meaningfully translate into military potential, particularly if the West can augment the supply to Ukraine while further cutting off Russia. A million more men in the field can only do so much if Russian can only supply a few thousand with the necessary equipment and, you know, food and pay. I think Ukraine with Western backing can outlast Russia and maintaining this slow siege is probably the most politically viable and least prone to escalation into MAD. But the West should absolutely be building toward a will and capacity to intervene to foreshorten the conflict, in the meantime.

Putin probably knows he hasn't got the military power to outright win this, so he's probably going to go all out to undermine Western support and unity in the coming year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah a Gerald Ford can run 120 sorties or 240 sorties per day for 30 days straight without re arming.

3600 sorties in a month would effectively terminate Russia as a state entity.
I seriously doubt the Ford carries enough missiles to do 3600 sorties.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cicero posted:

I seriously doubt the Ford carries enough missiles to do 3600 sorties.

CVN-78 has design features intended to enhance its ability to
launch, recover, and service aircraft, such as a slightly larger
flight deck, dedicated weapons handling areas, and increased
aircraft refueling stations. The Navy set the SGR requirement
for CVN-78 to increase the sortie generation capability of
embarked aircraft to 160 sorties per day (12-hour fly day) and
to surge to 270 sorties per day (24-hour fly day) as compared
to the CVN-68 Nimitz class SGR demonstration of 120 sorties
per day/240 sorties for 24-hour surge.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

From what I remember, you're both right. Aircraft carriers are followed by cargo ships that actually hold the bulk of the carriers supplies.

So while the carrier doesn't technically hold that amount of ammunition, it's capable of launching that many armed sorties.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

CVN-78 has design features intended to enhance its ability to
launch, recover, and service aircraft, such as a slightly larger
flight deck, dedicated weapons handling areas, and increased
aircraft refueling stations. The Navy set the SGR requirement
for CVN-78 to increase the sortie generation capability of
embarked aircraft to 160 sorties per day (12-hour fly day) and
to surge to 270 sorties per day (24-hour fly day) as compared
to the CVN-68 Nimitz class SGR demonstration of 120 sorties
per day/240 sorties for 24-hour surge.

Where’d you copy this from Gigolo :D

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KravtsovRoman/status/1682808226918563840

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

In Gulag July 21st!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

barbie of klaus variety

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hope this Barbie success opens the door for a Dazzler film.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

weg posted:

In Gulag July 21st!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mokotow posted:

Where’d you copy this from Gigolo :D

The Navy design requirements brochure however I guess there's been some critical reception to this and the expectation would 120 sorties a day

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Even if a Republican wins in 2024 nothing changes until January 2025. I know Russia is dedicated to drawing out this war forever but I just refuse to accept they will have enough military power left by then for it to enable them to complete their aims even if America goes full fascist.

Personally I refuse to accept that a Republican president will spit in the face of the US MIC when the rubber meets the road. Even Trump would just talk tough until he gets paid off.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Remember the UK giving Ukraine some Brimstome and having it fired from a civilian truck?
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1592433221341704192 https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1546234834363858944
Apparently there was an urgent program, to come up with a proper solution. Behold the Wolfram:
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1682833055533154304
It's something closer to a proper launcher on a Supacat HMT 600. It's still a work in progress but reportedly Ukraine have a 'several dozen' of them for a while. If they're being used, footage hasn't leaked.

MBDA struggled for years to get anyone to buy them for anything other than traditional air launched. Poland committed to them for an upcoming tank destroyer last year. Now they have the platform for training, I suspect now the British Army won't give them; the question will be if they stick with the Wolfram or if we see something like an Ajax variant.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wolfram-ukraine-britain-ben-wallace-b2376866.html
https://www.joint-forces.com/features/65958-british-army-expo-23-vehicles-photo-album

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Moktaro posted:

Personally I refuse to accept that a Republican president will spit in the face of the US MIC when the rubber meets the road. Even Trump would just talk tough until he gets paid off.

Remember this is hellworld. The worst thing doesn't always have to happen, but the most absurd thing is highly likely.

Somehow those pics of hunter biden's areas will be involved.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

This already happened once when he had Wagner attack that American base in Syria and got his Wagner/Syrian army ripped to shreds.

whaaaaaaaat do you have a source on this i want to read about it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arivia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

saved you a click version:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Arivia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

efb

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and yes all of that is correct. they attacked 40 US/allied soldiers with 500 dudes. the americans were supported with artillery and air power, the wagner and friends had some arty but no air power.

end story is that the americans lost exactly 0 people and their allied forces had 1 WIA. wagner and friends were ~100 KIA and per russia another 200 WIA, resulting in half of the attacking force being neutralized.

"ripped to shreds" is an appropriate wording.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Such a blast Wagner made surviving it medal-worthy

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol didn't the the US and wagner accidentally face off one time and Wagner got absolutely smoked?

E: nm, beaten ^

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was no accident, Putin just overplayed his hand and badly underestimated the tech and firepower difference.

It actually caused quite a scandal for Putin at the time.

Russia smugly disavowed their Wagner forces being sent to attack that US position because when the US called them up to ask about it, the Russians assumed the US was asking them to stop out of fear.

But unfortunately for them the fear was of starting an international incident when they quickly deleted the forces attacking them.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
On the one hand, moving into Poland would be the dumbest thing Putin could possibly do and there's no way in hell it'll happen.

Otoh lots of us thought the same thing about invading Ukraine :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that entire wikipedia article is worth reading in the context of the current conflict not for the US actions or whatever but for the entire playbook that the putin administration ran, if you read the incitement and reactions it's basically every god damned day of this stupid loving war. russia shoots itself, asks how ukraine could do this, tries to say that didn't even hurt, that wasn't even me, and someone dies of blood loss trying to hold the bullet wounds closed just off camera. putin has to admit that in fact it did hurt and that was him a couple days later, moments before talking about how in fact he's better off because now he has an immunity to bullets.

you also get bonus doses of iran saying that the USA's aggressive zeal is worse than ISIL's - you know, the group that was, at the time, literally running around attacking and conquering territory in order to build a new islamic state - moments before admitting "btw yeah we totally attacked, the USA was just sorta sitting there"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
drat, that's crazy! i can see why it wasn't a spark for more, since the US troops were just there as instructors on someone else's territory and it wasn't technically us-russian combat (the us seems to have tried very hard not to attack russians), but still scary.

in exchange i wiki dived and came up with this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Great_War the official British history of WW1, the last new volume of which was finally published in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cr0y posted:

Lol didn't the the US and wagner accidentally face off one time and Wagner got absolutely smoked?

E: nm, beaten ^

Absolutely not an accident that they attacked. They'd been probing the area for weeks - this was essentially an attempt to push out from the small SAA bridgehead on the Eastern side of the river by overrunning a small Kurdish border outpost manned by a small number of infantry.

They opened the battle with heavy MLRS and artillery fire, rolled in tanks to shell the place (getting javelin'd in the process), and then promptly got wholesale wrecked by air and artillery until they bravely ran away. Coincidentally the border probing attempts stopped immediately after the battle.