Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The units with metal nozzles are usually the ones that can be recharged. When shopping for them the package should say if they're rechargeable or not; the cheap ones usually aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah they had one or two here when I moved in but who knows how old those are so I bought a 2 pack at Costco probably in 2015ish or so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sentinel Red posted:

Newt wouldn’t have any weapons, barely any tools, probably no crafting skills, just Casey for company, and there’d be scores of the bastards wandering about every night for close to a month. Make it with VR in mind and you’ve basically designed a program to cause coronaries, ie a Terrible Idea.

I thought of all that but I think we could work around it and the story of how she survived has never really been told as far as I know. If they got creative with it, I could see it working somehow and who says she can't craft things?

I guess what I'm really saying is that I want a sequel to that game and Newt is as good a place to start as anything else I can think of.

Neo Rasa posted:

The official sequel to Alien: Isolation was sort of like a Five Nights game where Amanda Ripley has an overhead view of a place and directs everyone around to avoid alien stuff by having them close/unseal stuff solve things to accomplish objectives.

The what now?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought of all that but I think we could work around it and the story of how she survived has never really been told as far as I know. If they got creative with it, I could see it working somehow and who says she can't craft things?

I guess what I'm really saying is that I want a sequel to that game and Newt is as good a place to start as anything else I can think of.

It would be scary as gently caress but I think it'd be really difficult to make it work as well as the original game. It's hard to explain, but I feel like there's more technicality than just the crafting, which makes Isolation just as satisfying as the fear.

That said, it would be awesome as a segment of the game, like one level that's totally stripped of any aides like the motion tracker or crowbar.

And I also think it'd be awesome if the sequel introduced some loudmouth colonial marine bad guys. Make it like a little bit of Splinter Cell in a game that otherwise makes you feel dread.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 22, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Do we have an Aliens game yet where you play as the xeno? Like start as the facehugger, move to chestburster, evade humans and become a queen.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cowslips Warren posted:

Do we have an Aliens game yet where you play as the xeno? Like start as the facehugger, move to chestburster, evade humans and become a queen.

You do the at least the first three things in at least one of the AvP games (which were also scary as gently caress and so fun).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Alien vs Predator 2 I think

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

The what now?

Yeah, as far as that kind of game goes it's pretty solid and you can get it for almost nothing on Android or iOS. But holy gently caress what a step down from Isolation. :(

I do also respect it for being a mobile game that's purely single player without any dumb mobile game poo poo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wcbLq1ny0

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alien vs Predator 2 I think

Yeah, used to play that all the time. The single-player campaign had three overlapping stories, each with a Xeno, Predator and USCM protagonist. The Xeno campaign starts with a Facehugger, where you stealth through a level until your intended target (a permanently grumpy dickhead of a jobsworth at a W-Y facility) isolates himself, before you become a chestburster where you have to stealth your way to a secluded spot, before you become a drone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, used to play that all the time. The single-player campaign had three overlapping stories, each with a Xeno, Predator and USCM protagonist. The Xeno campaign starts with a Facehugger, where you stealth through a level until your intended target (a permanently grumpy dickhead of a jobsworth at a W-Y facility) isolates himself, before you become a chestburster where you have to stealth your way to a secluded spot, before you become a drone.

This game was probably the only time we’ll get a first person view of a chestburster doing its thing, which is a shame because it’s like 2002 graphics :cry:

The predator’s laugh whenever you headshotted someone was pretty solid, and the marine campaign did a really good job of evoking constant fear and dread (despite all your weapons).

At least, that’s my memory of it. I haven’t played it in nearly 20 years, and it’s damned hard to find right now because of some issues about the rights to it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

The what now?

Home Alone 426

‘Keep the change, ya filthy Xenos!’

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

This game was probably the only time we’ll get a first person view of a chestburster doing its thing, which is a shame because it’s like 2002 graphics :cry:

The predator’s laugh whenever you headshotted someone was pretty solid, and the marine campaign did a really good job of evoking constant fear and dread (despite all your weapons).

At least, that’s my memory of it. I haven’t played it in nearly 20 years, and it’s damned hard to find right now because of some issues about the rights to it.

Yeah, I still vividly remember walking through the eerily empty W-Y facility hallways in the USCM campaign, armed with nothing but a pistol while being stalked by something, and then almost making GBS threads myself when a Predalien busts through the ceiling.

And the sense of disappointment at how easily it went down. Like, yeah, grand entrance and all, but, like, was that it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, I still vividly remember walking through the eerily empty W-Y facility hallways in the USCM campaign, armed with nothing but a pistol while being stalked by something, and then almost making GBS threads myself when a Predalien busts through the ceiling.

And the sense of disappointment at how easily it went down. Like, yeah, grand entrance and all, but, like, was that it?

Place was empty, things broke and creaked left and right, steam shot out randomly, and there was also at least one alien stalking you.

10/10 on atmosphere for a game from 2002.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I can confirm it still owns today. One thing though (even when it was new), depending on your display/gamma settings you'd clearly see the xenomorphs even when they were posed in darkness to ambush you, and sometimes the incidental music would start way late lol. Other than that excellent game.

AMAZING multiplayer too that's not to be overlooked, included some cool asymmetrical modes and maps that really forced everyone to take advantage of (or exploit) each other's unique vision modes too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Newt's Nightmare - An Aliens Story

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I can confirm it still owns today. One thing though (even when it was new), depending on your display/gamma settings you'd clearly see the xenomorphs even when they were posed in darkness to ambush you, and sometimes the incidental music would start way late lol. Other than that excellent game.

AMAZING multiplayer too that's not to be overlooked, included some cool asymmetrical modes and maps that really forced everyone to take advantage of (or exploit) each other's unique vision modes too.

Predator had 4 vision modes, right? Normal, IR, UV (I think this one was for spotting xenos), and 1 other? Maybe x-ray, to highlight synths?

The synths barely showed up in the alien’s pheromone vision iirc, and they always had smart guns they were not afraid to use :cry:

The first time i came across an APC as a predator was also a humbling experience. I heard a burst of machine gun fire, then a death animation and that was it. As quick as it was inglorious :laffo:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redshirt posted:

Newt's Nightmare - An Aliens Story

Act 1 = Newt's family life on the colony. Ends with Xeno attack.

Act 2 = Xeno attack consequences, people are fleeing/fighting

Act 3 = Last stand, fails. Newt escapes the last battle, to crawl in the sewers for an ending montage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There was a Dark Horse comic like that called Aliens: Newt's Tale but I forget how good it was or not.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That sounds more like an interactive story than an Isolation follow up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://avpunknown.com/avp2aio/

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Azubah posted:

That sounds more like an interactive story than an Isolation follow up.

Do an 80s platformer where every level Newt is teamed up with another colonist, but the other one gets facehugged at the end of the level.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

redshirt posted:

Act 3 = Last stand, fails. Newt escapes the last battle, to crawl in the sewers for an ending montage.

Totally this. Newt's not a story about solo survival, it should be about more the collapse of the colony and just her trying to survive from group to group, then to rag tag to rag tag, then to just her and Timmy or whoever, then just her.
You could do act one as a Fallout 3 intro, just limited 2 minute time snippets setting up the game. The first is you riding the tricycle around Hadley's Hope, doll in hand, like Danny in The Shining. But theres loads of people about, they all know you, you know them, just setting it up as a bustling busy environment. Then flash forward to your parents showing you the truck rig that you all will be going out exploring. Then flash forward to them out and discovering the alien ship, and you and Timmy spend minutes playing in the truck, turning on the base radio to listen to, or whatever, and then randomly BAM the door opens and you start screaming at seeing the facehugger. Then cut to hours later, you and Timmy are pushed to the side as they are treating your father, and they send you home and sedate you so you can sleep.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a Dark Horse comic like that called Aliens: Newt's Tale but I forget how good it was or not.

It's mostly not that great, just a straightforward shot for shot drawing of most of Aliens, with Newt's backstory added in.

It's all made totally worthwhile by this one page where Newt's mother goes up to the security guards and asks for a gun. When they tell her she doesn't need it, she says "it's not for me, it's for them" and points at Newt and her brother. The next panel is Newt's mum just sitting there silently, clutching the pistol as the children sleep, waiting for the aliens to come, knowing that her last act as their loving parent is to spare the kids the fate their father suffered.

It's a mid comic, but that page alone is one of the best things in Aliens canon.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Been thinking about those alibeans

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
hmmm, might have to install some AvP2010. You guys are gettin' me in the mood.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

It's mostly not that great, just a straightforward shot for shot drawing of most of Aliens, with Newt's backstory added in.

It's all made totally worthwhile by this one page where Newt's mother goes up to the security guards and asks for a gun. When they tell her she doesn't need it, she says "it's not for me, it's for them" and points at Newt and her brother. The next panel is Newt's mum just sitting there silently, clutching the pistol as the children sleep, waiting for the aliens to come, knowing that her last act as their loving parent is to spare the kids the fate their father suffered.

It's a mid comic, but that page alone is one of the best things in Aliens canon.

A good Mother. Do you recall her name?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

redshirt posted:

A good Mother. Do you recall her name?

Annie.

It's a 30 year old comic, I'm hoping it's fine to post this link to read the whole comic here:

https://readallcomics.com/aliens-newts-tale-1/

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Newt's Tale was effectively redone by one of the novels. "River of Pain" iirc.
Her mom and brother go out really sadly. There are a few survivors but I don't think it meshes with the Fire and Stone comics which also had some people escape the events. (But that's OK as said comics event tried to basically fit Prometheus continuity into it and im not sure I like it or Covenant as being any sort of canon to the wider Alien universe. )

I have gotten yet another way to Alien in a solo game ill have trouble playing because videogames are easier and I don't feel like as much of a waste of a person as I do playing a board game by myself:

The name of the ship is the Konrad. I wonder why. Couldn't have anything to do with some of the ship names in Alien, nope.

See you buy a 20 dollar core ruleset then 20 dollar boxes containing 2 different final girls to play in plus the location and killer letting you mix and match a bit. This one being Ellen and Jenette. No relation at all nope.

What the sets (and mini vignette ones) are and what movies they are totally not ripping off according to a BGG poster. You can even buy minis for the seasons if nice simple colored meeples aren't your thing. Most sets also have special rules like the Evomorph has a life cycle, Gepetto has his puppet minions, ect.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Interesting. Heard good things about Final Girl, but decided it wasn't something I needed. But gotta take a casual second look now there's an Alien expansion pack.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Totally this. Newt's not a story about solo survival, it should be about more the collapse of the colony and just her trying to survive from group to group, then to rag tag to rag tag, then to just her and Timmy or whoever, then just her.
You could do act one as a Fallout 3 intro, just limited 2 minute time snippets setting up the game. The first is you riding the tricycle around Hadley's Hope, doll in hand, like Danny in The Shining. But theres loads of people about, they all know you, you know them, just setting it up as a bustling busy environment. Then flash forward to your parents showing you the truck rig that you all will be going out exploring. Then flash forward to them out and discovering the alien ship, and you and Timmy spend minutes playing in the truck, turning on the base radio to listen to, or whatever, and then randomly BAM the door opens and you start screaming at seeing the facehugger. Then cut to hours later, you and Timmy are pushed to the side as they are treating your father, and they send you home and sedate you so you can sleep.

It sounds like the Walking Dead Telltale style of game would be the perfect way to tell Newt's story, or even the Dark Pictures Anthology style.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fall Dog posted:

It sounds like the Walking Dead Telltale style of game would be the perfect way to tell Newt's story, or even the Dark Pictures Anthology style.

Maybe the Gollum guys should have a shot at this?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Something that was sort of a missed opportunity imo with Isolation was it's challenge maps. It's not made explicit but you can kinda sorta feel it when playing them that these were meant to be like specific survivors you encounter throughout the game but they didn't have the resources/time to flesh them out as much as the two Nostromo DLCs. It was cool to have little bit sized bits of Isolation's gameplay, and with an actual story to it like Newt's or whatever having bite sized Isolation sessions would hold up really well. The objectives can progress from typical kid stuff to more dire/higher stakes as the colony goes to poo poo once they get her dad back to the colony proper.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Predator had 4 vision modes, right? Normal, IR, UV (I think this one was for spotting xenos), and 1 other? Maybe x-ray, to highlight synths?

The synths barely showed up in the alien’s pheromone vision iirc, and they always had smart guns they were not afraid to use :cry:

The first time i came across an APC as a predator was also a humbling experience. I heard a burst of machine gun fire, then a death animation and that was it. As quick as it was inglorious :laffo:

OMG yeah that game has plenty of moments where you start to really think you've got everything under control and then, well, you don't lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How long did Newt survive on her own before the Colonial Marines arrived?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

How long did Newt survive on her own before the Colonial Marines arrived?

She only went during the day. They mostly come out at night

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Maybe the Gollum guys should have a shot at this?

Mods!?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

redshirt posted:

happyhippy posted:

I was thinking something along these lines also. Like, have her surrounded by adults that are maybe playable for different missions and then have Newt doing stuff like crawling into small places to retrieve "X" or to activate some kind of pump, door or lighting. She would mostly offer support and she'd get more and more alone as the adults all start getting picked off and killed. Then you can end it when Ripley's team discovers her.

You'd have to have something in the game other than her just running and hiding, of course, so perhaps she helps gather crafting supplies and the adults build poo poo like noisemakers and other stuff that she'd have little trouble using. Obviously you can't really give her a gun and a motion tracker is probably out but I think there are ways to show how "this little girl survived for 5 weeks" or however long it was if they get creative with it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aliens as family:

Ripley is Mom of course.
Hicks as the distant but strong and supportive Dad.
Apone is the Grandpapa taken from us too soon.
Hudson is that Uncle.
Gorman is the brother who turned Mormon.
Vasquez is the bad rear end lesbian Aunt.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

River of Pain has some good parts at the beginning of the infestation where a few drones are causing chaos. It’s pretty much a nightmare scenario.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

redshirt posted:

Aliens as family:

Ripley is Mom of course.
Hicks as the distant but strong and supportive Dad.
Apone is the Grandpapa taken from us too soon.
Hudson is that Uncle.
Gorman is the brother who turned Mormon.
Vasquez is the bad rear end lesbian Aunt.

Bishop is your bff yellow lab who got hit by a car in middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bishop is the neighbourhood eccentric everyone is weirded out by, but is also a good dude who will come through for you and everyone knows this