Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Martman posted:

Hey! C-Spam! Leave them dogs alone!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

barbie movie fuckin rocked

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Catching up but you know how the mk games just were some white kids making up Chinese names but hsu hao has always been the one to confuse me because it reads like 梳好 which means "[hair] combed well" and that dude is a bald leather daddy

Also on cultural stuff my niece told me how the most rear end in a top hat kid in her hs suddenly asked in a history class full of east and south Asian kids whether it was true that the Chinese eat dogs. My niece's jaw dropped and then their, possibly well meaning but not very smart teacher, said, you cannot say that... that is their culture.

scorpions first name is japanese sounding gibberish and the name hanzo it rules lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah they've gotten better about it over the years but not that much better lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(phil voice) the chinese say hsu hao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Alaois posted:

Ed Boon named two male characters Reiko and Hotaru and im not even sure if Reiko is supposed to be Japanese

I heard of reiko before seeing what he looked like which was a trip because reiko is a girls name which means beautiful child

Hotaru means firefly

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

I heard of reiko before seeing what he looked like which was a trip because reiko is a girls name which means beautiful child

Hotaru means firefly

mad?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
eeeeey i'm approprating culture over here *names video game character shujinko*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Hey! listen! The Chinese don’t eat dogs!

Imagining playing ocarina of time and Navi pops up to tell me this completely unprompted

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good soup! posted:

Imagining playing ocarina of time and Navi pops up to tell me this completely unprompted

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Woke Ally Navi

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I spoke to the niece about her nearly dating an incel which was wilder than I was aware of. So earlier she told me that she met him during an inter state chess tourney and he seemed OK, and he invited her to the pet store he did part time at which was nice, but she found him distant. It would transpire that he had deliberately gotten the pet store job because he got tips from whatever incel or pua community that this was the best effort free way to get girls to think you have empathy and are likeable

So it wasn't really working and she texted him asking if he was looking into pursuing a relationship because she wanted to know what to expect. And this is what she told me just now, which is that he responded with: "I need you to be very serious about this, and you can take as much time as you want and as many words as you see fit when you answer this question because it is crucial to how to value each other. What do you think of Andrew tate."

She was at a table with her girl friends and everyone had the longest gasp, then they all immediately cut off contact with this guy

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Good soup! posted:

Lmao

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Good soup! posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Good soup! posted:

lol

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I spoke to the niece about her nearly dating an incel which was wilder than I was aware of. So earlier she told me that she met him during an inter state chess tourney and he seemed OK, and he invited her to the pet store he did part time at which was nice, but she found him distant. It would transpire that he had deliberately gotten the pet store job because he got tips from whatever incel or pua community that this was the best effort free way to get girls to think you have empathy and are likeable

So it wasn't really working and she texted him asking if he was looking into pursuing a relationship because she wanted to know what to expect. And this is what she told me just now, which is that he responded with: "I need you to be very serious about this, and you can take as much time as you want and as many words as you see fit when you answer this question because it is crucial to how to value each other. What do you think of Andrew tate."

She was at a table with her girl friends and everyone had the longest gasp, then they all immediately cut off contact with this guy

Lmfao your niece owns

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Meeting zelda in the courtyard, if you select "no" when she asks if you believe her, she accuses you of not actually being gay until you select yes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Meeting zelda in the courtyard, if you select "no" when she asks if you believe her, she accuses you of not actually being gay until you select yes

the owl does that, actually

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
thought the owl was the wall of text describing gore and if you say that's gross he calls you tankie

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

that guy in 4 years 'wow she really is taking a long time thinking about it'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Endorph posted:

its a secret machine to make it so white people never have to engage with other cultures but can still be woke

Also it means they can be woke and moral while being shut-in nerds and/or gated community failkids

Plant MONSTER. posted:

It's like how white people hear inuit throat singing and are like to eachother "this is sacred you can't do that" meanwhile Tanya Tagak is all like "it's a game to see who can make the most hosed up noises and whoever laughs loses"

Or at one of the universities my roommate went to. A faculty member was giving him grief for using Chinese instruments in his composition on accounts of concerns of appropriation. The commission was from China. They gave us all the instruments to loan and everything. I got to play the guzheng

White people even already have a tradition using the same techniques as throat singing: voicing Popeye

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Dongicus posted:

o aye me n the missues call those tumblie wumblies n we dollop sum tomatoe sawrce on em phoar

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

:aaaaa: irl

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
As soon as i ask about him the girls disappear i really am in the matrix

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

What do you think of Andrew tate."

Well? I'm waiting for an answer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Heath posted:

It's like naming the huge guy Smalls

Julius actually got the nickname Caesar meaning 'hairy' because he was balding

Yes the ancient roman empire basically ran on mafia naming schemes and that ironic nickname became a literal royal title

Does Mortal Kombat have much of a Japanese fanbase? I'm fairly sure most of the games never even got released there. I imagine no one's necessarily that worked up about the Chinese ninjas, especially given they're more wuxia than anything.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Mortal Kombat have much of a Japanese fanbase? I'm fairly sure most of the games never even got released there. I imagine no one's necessarily that worked up about the Chinese ninjas, especially given they're more wuxia than anything.

There's a decent video about that here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPIxMzMOl4

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Took a nap and had a dream after playing subnautica, and I don't remember anything, except for AL-AN saying "She quantum on my chest until I glurk" and that's all I can think of.

e: I have just unlocked quantum chests before taking my nap.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 23, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been playing Remnant 2 and the game is good. I chose the class whose special abilities can be summarized as "has a dog".

I also appreciate the confidence of going from Remnant: From The Ashes to just Remnant 2. Subtitles are for cowards.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been playing Remnant 2 and the game is good. I chose the class whose special abilities can be summarized as "has a dog".

I also appreciate the confidence of going from Remnant: From The Ashes to just Remnant 2. Subtitles are for cowards.

Suddenly getting the urge to play Remnant 2 I love puppers

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boba Pearl posted:

Suddenly getting the urge to play Remnant 2 I love puppers

If you die while still having an estus flask dragon heart he automatically revives you, and you can command him to revive an ally instead of doing it yourself if you're playing co-op.

What I'm saying is he's a good dog. You can also pet him.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Martman posted:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
whats everyone gaming tonight

i jumped back into that strawberry jam mod collab for celeste earlier this evening after leaving it off for zelda season and shits getting really wild now

https://i.imgur.com/YPrUJ3Q.mp4

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_718luey6k

also that level has the most appropriate possible music for its gameplay

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Martman posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Violen posted:

whats everyone gaming tonight

I was playing battlebit. You know how there's proximity voice chat and you can talk when you're dead? I love it. There hasn't been those toxic interactions that devs are so wary of that they won't even let you have text chat even with your own team in most games. It's been fun and good spirited. Well, when I was playing today, I accidentally rounded a corner into a bunch of enemies they then dragged my corpse around and started trying to ask where the rest of my team was. However, my cat decided to answer for me as he was howling so I pressed the push to talk key and said "hold on my cat has something to say"

Thing is, about two hours earlier my cat, Gustavo, had a seizure. He has these about once a month and they're often triggered by clicking or clacking sounds, like in this case when I was putting food in his bowl. It's alarming but not a huge deal, since I just take him to the bath tub and hold him down so he doesn't hurt himself. If he pees himself I'll give him a quick bath and blow dry. Anyway, after big seizures you'll go into a post-ictal state where you're extremely disoriented and confused. Gustavo will lay down in the bathtub for a bit then wander around the house howling, poop somewhere odd like on a dresser, then continue to howl and wander around. The vet says this is normal and to just barricade the stairs and cover the toilet so he doesn't hurt himself on accident. After about 3 hours he'll calm down and go back to his bed and go to sleep.

Well anyway, the enemy team went from trying to roleplay as tough mercs to immediately breaking character when gustavo came on the mic. He is loud enough that the mic will pick him up. It was very wholesome and we all got a kick out of the timing and interaction of it all. Also gustavo is fine now, he's back asleep like usual

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Shut up, idiot

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Where's your Bugatti....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give