Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Synastren posted:

There are two fundamental changes between BW and SC2 that make Terran bio significantly better:
1) You can have more than 12 units in a control group.
2) Pathfinding is indescribably so much better.

You can have 40 marines and medics on one control group (and they even added an "All Army" key if you don't want to use control groups!), and amove around. As long as you know some basic micro tricks (e.g., don't walk your marines into a big AoE zone; don't just move command into the enemy), Terran bio is basically the best all-around composition that is fairly simple to produce and control in all of SC2.

This is true even current professional multiplayer. Late game fights are pretty complex, but the composition doesn't change from its core.

ed: This thread got me to try to polish off the campaign achievements. Let's see if I can get through them all. Except 500k Lost Viking, gently caress that one.

Looking at your user text account, I'll like a second opinion, here.
:P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also makes Terran games really, really boring to watch.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
These days mech is a viable TvT composition, but yeah marine/tank/viking is the standard

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Artifact 2: The Dig

Video: The Dig

TANKS! TANKS! TANKS! TANKS!

We open with a short no-build section.

The culprits behind this mysterious disappearance are just down the path.

If you had zero infantry upgrades this might be scary, but Stims, Shells, and Medpacks makes this a breeze.

:getin:

And for whatever reason, the campaign version of Siege Tanks are better than their MP version, going from 35 a shot in siege mode to a whopping 60.

A nice addition is an indicator ring around sieged tanks when you have them selected, showing their exact range.

In tank mode, Siege Tanks still have a sizable punch against Armored targets.

They can't move in siege mode, so if you need to reposition 'em, just switch 'em back into tank mode. Y'got it?

The name of the game today is using high ground tanks to take out enemies before they can get close.

The real question is why the Tal'darim only killed the Mobius team, and didn't do anything to destroy their stuff.

The laser drill will take roughly 30 minutes in-game time to crack the temple door. I have to defend the drill until then.

And there's a completely unguarded expansion just to the east.

The catch is that taking it requires you to push up your defensive wall on that side.

Sticking to one base, meanwhile, cuts down on your income but in exchange you can set bunkers at the ramp and Tanks on the cliff, letting you take next to no damage as attack waves die before they can get vision.

This early on, you won't have enough resources to protect both entrances, but with the huge amount of vision you have it's easy to see when an attack wave is being prepared.

The Tal'darim are polite and will build up an attack right where you can see it.

The Dig is also the easiest mission to manage your supply on, as the entirety of the no-build section is still open for you to slap down depots.

A 25 gas price boost, but you also don't have to research Siege Mode like in SC1 so you save 150 gas right there.

Horner flags all three spots attack waves will gather at.

I send my infantry out to meet the wave on the left.

While repositioning my tanks to the right to catch a wave there.

Beautiful.

After that first token attack, things start to ramp up a bit.

A fair bit.

So I start to make my bunkers.

The number of tanks will continue to increase.

The next attack wave is automatically flagged.

Because it has Archons.

But more importantly, it also has Immortals.

Immortals have a passive called Hardened Shields, which caps all shield damage to a max of 10. This means I need 10 shots from a Siege Tank just to start damaging the hull, giving them more than enough time to get into range with the few I have now.

Archons themselves are just really beefy.

Thankfully, the game gives you control of the drill at this point.

Alright. You heard the man! Swing that laser around! We can use it to drive back the protoss!

You can use it to quickly take out priority targets, but every second spent blasting enemies is a second spent not chipping away at the door, dragging out the mission and giving the Tal'darim time to send more attack waves.

I just keep building up my defenses.

The drill does actually burn through the doors!

The Tal'darim will send out the occasional air wave. These Warp Prisms are protoss drop ships, and will fly to a spot and start warping in infinity guys if you don't take them out.

However: laser.

I start making a second Barracks for Reasons.

After getting close to 64K Horner will flag the bonus objectives.

Now, you may have noticed that I've walled off my base. How am I supposed to go grab those relics?

The answer may surprise you.

While the Barracks is floating over, I start building a few more turrets around the drill. I've also hit a large enough tank count that I can stop bouncing them from one end to the other.

You just have to blast each shrine for a few seconds with the drill to grab the relic inside.

The shrines have a few defenses in place.

However: laser.

Then I just have to land the Barracks and make a quick Marine to go grab both relics.

Now I just have to float over to the third.

Another air wave starts at the halfway point.

But that's what those turrets are for.

While that was going on, I cleared out the final bonus.

The problem is that my tanks have reached critical mass, and at this point there's just no real risk of losing.

That's kinda bad when I'm only halfway done the mission.

I don't even bother using the drill on attack waves anymore. There's just so many shells flying that even an Immortal can't get close before getting blown to bits.

My base is starting to mine out at this point, but as long as I keep enough cash on hand for repairs it won't matter.

Now, The Dig has the same type of alt win condition as Welcome to the Jungle, where I can win early by wiping out all enemies.

But as you can tell from the minimap, the enemy bases here are huge, and they'll aggressively rebuild if you try to chip away at them.

Here are five Archons, totaling 1750 shields in all.

They could not get off a single attack before dying.

I double checked my footage to make sure I actually played on Hard and didn't accidentally drop down to Normal at some point, but no, it is actually this easy.

For the last third of the mission, the Tal'darim will send out Colossi in their attack waves. This is actually a bit scary, since a Colossus is so tall it counts as both walking and flying, letting it give high ground vision and letting enemies target my tanks.

These guys just won't give it up... Stick it to 'em boys!

I still don't use the drill on them. I just have so much stuff that they can't break through.

This is the closest they get, and it took multiple Colossi and Void Rays to do it.

This is the rest of the mission.

I just sit and wait for the door to break, while my tanks vaporize everything in range.

My Refineries also start to mine out, and unlike SC1 you don't get a trickle of gas from a depleted geyser.

At least you get this pretty set of indicator lines when you have a massive group of tanks.

For the last few seconds they start sending a constant stream of enemies at you, but that'd only be a threat if your defenses were already about to fall.

I'm just surprised that they actually went for my Barracks.

Shame they only had a few seconds left by the time they went all out.

Thanks for the Advice - Complete "The Dig" mission without killing an enemy unit or structure with the Laser Drill on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2024

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the only defense mission in Wings I actually like- giving you the laser cannon and letting you manage risk-reward is much more interesting than just running down a timer, and it's just fun to build up a critical mass of siege tanks and watch enemies melt.

If you want to win by wiping out the Taldarim instead of waiting out the doors, it helps a lot if you complete the Haven mission to unlock vikings before playing this mission, or if you're really crazy, waiting for wraiths. Flying buildings is enough to get the artifacts but they're slow and have poor vision, so trying to run them into the bases for laser vision will get them shot down too quickly to do much damage, and they're defended well enough that trying to go up the ramps will end as badly for you as it does the enemy. Actual aircraft have enough sight to let the laser clear priority threats and then can wipe out the lesser enemies on their own. The right base is pretty easy to destroy this way, though the upper one is significantly larger and better defended so can take some effort even if you know what you're doing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

tanks for nothing

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Single player siege tanks are better than multiplayer siege tanks because in multiplayer they got nerfed. I think at the very end of beta the damage got dropped from 60 to 50 and then in SC2's first major patch, the damage got changed to 35 (+15 to armored). Why the nerf? Because Zerg was at an absolutely insane disadvantage versus Terran in every way, and tanks were one of the main reasons why. Prior to that patch, TvZ was statistically a 65% winrate for Terran, the most imbalanced match-up StarCraft 2 ever had in its history.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BisbyWorl posted:

The real question is why the Tal'darim only killed the Mobius team, and didn't do anything to destroy their stuff.

Didn't they just establish the terrazine those guys had shrine to has drug effects? The Tal'darim probably crashed after killing the Mobius people and forgot to go back and destroy the laser afterwards because we stole their dealer's supply in Tosh's mission.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The laser here is one of Tychus' ultimates in HoTS. The other one is from another mission.

I think you're supposed to use the laser to deal with the bases if you go that route. Remove key pylons, get a bioball and a couple tanks in position to clean up.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"artifact radiation"

writing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

artifact radiation is what creates that highlight around stuff you can interact with

also the ! over the heads of people who want to give out a quest

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You think archaeologists just use science or randomly stumble upon ancient items? Of course not, that's stupid. Part of the PHD process is building one's own artifact geiger counter.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh, this mission! I remember when that other guy was doing his playthrough. That'd been good.

Tanks for the memory!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

biosterous posted:

"artifact radiation"

writing.
It's not like Tychus would bother learning any scientific terms.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, "artifact radiation" would read a little less dumb if someone was just like, "okay, this strange radiation these artifacts emit..." "artifact radiation, gotcha, get on with it."

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's not terrible. We call it nuclear radiation because it's what nuclei emit

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

disposablewords posted:

Yeah, "artifact radiation" would read a little less dumb if someone was just like, "okay, this strange radiation these artifacts emit..." "artifact radiation, gotcha, get on with it."
Given that Tychus learned of this mission from Mobius, it's entirely possible that *was* what happened off-screen.

Mobius representative: We have another mission for you on the planet Xil. We had originally detected an important artifact based on the ionic emanations of the site and (begins to start continuing with scientific explanation)
Tychus: (cutting him off) Let me stop you right there, partner cuz I got no idea what that sciencey bullshit you're spoutin' means. Some kind of artifact radiation or somethin'?
Mobius representative: :sigh: Fine, let's just go with that, artifact radiation. Anyways, what we need from your mercenary friend...

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Surely all radiation is artifact radiation if it's old enough

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 7

Video: Zeratul's Warning

This cinematic plays the moment you finish The Dig.

The lights start to flicker.

Before starting to die entirely.

Oh, it's just everyone's favorite Dark Templar.

The subtitles actually come up a good few seconds before he actually speaks, spoiling what's happening.

I... really don't like this scene, both because it just drops what our endgame is on our laps with no buildup and removes all moral ambiguity from it.

Like, yeah, I've complained about Jim seemingly forgetting his revenge against Kerrigan, but for gently caress's sake, being told there's a way to save her could at least open up some emotional conflict! Does Jim follow his heart and save the girl, or get justice for all the lives she's taken? Well now Jimmy can rest easy, knowing that saving her is best for everyone!

Sorry, Fenix! Sorry, Raszagal! Sorry, untold billions slain by the Swarm! Jimmy can't avenge you, can't you see? Kerrigan just has to survive so she can save the loving universe!

Looking back at the prior cinematics, it honestly feels like they've been doing... how would I describe it, trailer moments?

"It's time to kick this revolution into overdrive!" *cut to black* "She's come to finish the job." *cut to black* "...Nice to see you too." *cut to black*

Like the writers wanted to make scenes that would plug nicely into the trailer for a hypothetical Starcraft 2: The Movie.

We got a shiny crystal to look at later, plus the usual trip around the Hyperion.

>Talk to Hanson.

They can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doin'.

Yet you don't fear it at all. You're a fascinating man, Jim Raynor. You know more about the protoss and the zerg than any of the experts I've read about.

>Examine Artifact.

It's interesting - the one from Xil is different than the others. However, I think all of them once constituted a single device.

You mean they make something bigger?

It would seem so. It's just a theory, but there's an attraction between the artifacts we've collected - a kind of harmonic resonance. Given the points of contiguous translinear alignment I think they'd be drawn together like magnets under the right field adjustment.

Ohhhh kay. Well don't adjust anything just yet, Doc. I like them aligned just the way they are.

>Examine Protoss Tank.

>Check Research Console.

Our second pair of protoss upgrades consist of the ability to instantly build Depots.

Or getting 5 gas per trip instead of 4.

I go for the gas. Instant Depots is nice if I suddenly find myself supply blocked, but just keeping an eye on my macro can more than make up for it. More gas lets me get higher tech units out much faster.

>Talk to Tychus.

Wonderful.

>Watch news.

>Talk to Tosh.

I don't know what you're talking about, Tosh.

Oh I think you do, 'James Raynor'. Something was on this ship just now. I still smell it on you. Protoss...interestin'...

>Check Mercenaries.

You know what's better than Siege Tanks?

Siege Tanks that deal 100 damage a shot.

>Talk to Swann.

Yeah these newer tanks have better guns when they're on the move, and reinforced armor.

So long as they've still got the range in siege mode, the rest is just gravy. Between siege tanks and bunkers, we can hold the line against just about anythin'.

You know, if the last mission didn't teach you that.

>Examine Siege Tank.

>Check Armory Console.

We've hit another milestone for Base upgrades.

This time we have upgrades for SCVs, which can team up to build faster or double their repair speed with Dual-Fusion Welders for 80K.

I might grab the building upgrade later on if I have some spare cash, but the repair speed upgrade will be drat near mandatory in later missions.

But that'll be after I grab both Siege Tank upgrades.

They're both extremely powerful, but at a whopping 255K credits for the pair of them they're one of the most expensive units in the game.

You know what's better than Siege Tanks that do 100 damage a shot? Siege Tanks that do 140 damage a shot.

>Talk to Horner.

He was here, Matt. And he was hurt, on the run from something.

Where is he now, sir?

Now, there's another delay before the next Artifact mission, so we have no new missions at the Star Map...

...But we do have that crystal.

>Examine Crystal.

Finishing The Dig unlocks a series of missions where we get to play as the protoss. They don't give any credits, but they do give a bunch of research points.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 28, 2023

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Ugh, the Protoss missions. I mean, the missions are fun, and it's nice to be able to get a brief Protoss fix since LotV is still forever away, and it's a hella valuable research bootstrap, but man do they just forever nuke any chance this game had story-wise.

Also, it's weird that the Protoss call him "James Raynor?" Like you're a Protoss, the name "James" doesn't mean any more to you than "Jim" or "Jimmy" does, why would you use it? It'd be like if I said "Hi my name is Arglebarlgle" and you said "Oh I'm not comfortable with nicknames I'll call you Garglearglebargle."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just wanna say, I do appreciate one thing that Starcraft 2 does with a few Terran vehicles - the Siege Tank, plus one other unit we'll see later, have different "models" and such that are named and classified differently, providing an in-universe explanation for the new unit being very different from the old.

In this case, the Siege Tank. In Starcraft 1 & Brood War, the Siege Tank was also known as the Arclite Siege Tank. In Starcraft 2 however, the Arclite has been rendered obsolete by the newer Crucio model.

However, if you inspect the names of their weapons, it's revealed that the Siege Breakers are actually piloting older, heavily modified Arclite tanks - though I'm a stickler for certain details, so I will note that the way the Siege Breakers' tanks deploy Siege Mode makes them closer to a Crucio tank in design than the old Arclites.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The zerg probably would watch human broadcasts for intelligence kate!!! The fuckers talk all the time!! I'm being harassed to spawn overlords constantly

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What do you think the hydralisks are doing in their den, Kate? It's watching TV, obviously. That's why it's called their den and not their bathroom!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the lurkers are on the internet

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This intermission is interesting because it's also emphasizing a cut story element. Bisby, do you mind if I talk about Raynor's alcoholism?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

This intermission is interesting because it's also emphasizing a cut story element. Bisby, do you mind if I talk about Raynor's alcoholism?

By all means, go ahead!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Uuuggghh here we go with removing any kind of edge from the Queen Bitch of the universe.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A common question about Starcraft 2 is "what the gently caress happened to Jim Raynor?" And it's a fair question, because he went from swearing revenge on the Queen of Blades to radiating manpain over Kerrigan in the time between the first and second games.

The original answer to this question was just plain old alcoholism.

In the original storyline of the Wings of Liberty campaign by Chris Metzen, Raynor was ashamed of how his friend Kerrigan had been twisted into the Queen of Blades and furious at Mengsk's success in establishing the Dominion. To cope with his impotence, he turned to the bottle, and a large part of the campaign was dealing with how pickling his brain in booze for years had impacted him. The original draft of the story had him obsessed with his "glory days" and "drinking to remember", drunkenly recounting re-imagined events to Tychus (like how he and Kerrigan had a romantic relationship) and frequently getting into arguments with Matt Horner due to mood swings and sloppiness. Raynor's behavior would also lead to trouble for the player: it was intended that he would make some rather vital mistakes after several missions, causing the campaign to lead to additional missions about cleaning up the mess he made.

This narrative would all come to a head when, after one of the mop-up missions, Matt confronted Raynor about how his mistakes cost lives. Raynor would shoot back that people should be thankful because it would've been far worse if the Raiders hadn't been there at all, and Matt would counter with how Raynor sounded just like Mengsk. Raynor would fly into a rage, Matt would beat some sense into him, and Raynor would realize that Matt was right. As part of this scene, Raynor would reveal (or come to the realization) that the reason that he was obsessed with saving Kerrigan was because he felt personally responsible for letting Mengsk trick him into abandoning Kerrigan to be infested, and he needed to do everything he could to right that wrong and quiet his conscience. He would mention that killing the Queen of Blades wouldn't bring back the people that they'd lost to her, and that was supposed to be his Big Hero Moment: realizing that revenge was meaningless and redemption was the True Hero's Path. He'd clean up his act, get his poo poo together, and the rest of the game would happen as it does for much better reasons.

Despite making perfect sense narratively, the rest of the development team hated it because they felt like Raynor's mistakes were ruining their accomplishments (and, to be fair, it absolutely loving sucks when you work hard to complete a mission and the game goes "lol no you lose anyway"). Unfortunately, Chris Metzen felt that removing the gameplay evidence of Raynor's alcoholism robbed the narrative of its impact: if it wasn't a mechanic in some way then nobody would really care about it, so the baby got thrown out with the bathwater and the entire concept was scrapped. However, even though Raynor's alcoholism was cut as a plot beat, a little over half of the campaign's cutscenes were already rendered and finalized, and so some evidence of the original narrative remains. For example, Wings of Liberty opening with Raynor drinking heavily in Joeyray's Bar and shooting the TV in a drunken rage, or where he's shown to sneak a drink from his flask when nobody else is around:

And Matt Horner's subsequent concern over Raynor's drinking when they discuss Zeratul:

Additionally, in missions where Raynor appears as a Hero unit, two of his joke lines also reference his alcoholism:

Terran Unit Quotations on the Starcraft Wiki posted:

Some cutscenes later in the campaign make more overt references to this original narrative, but were left as-is or repositioned in the story because they were already finished. Others that had not yet been animated were rewritten, and the result is what we have here today. I will point out when the original narrative's cutscenes appear, and also when the rewritten ones appear (and discuss what they were intended to be originally).

As for how I know all of this, the Starcraft Wiki talks a good bit about it:

The Jim Raynor article on the Starcraft Wiki posted:

During development of StarCraft II, Chris Metzen considered portraying Raynor as a full-blown alcoholic. The idea was toned back, as he didn't want to portray Raynor as a man completely without hope. That aside, storyline that was cut from the game was a drinking problem for Raynor. Raynor would be shown to make mistakes even as the player successfully completed missions. Raynor would overcome his personal demons and find redemption. Such was Metzen's idea, but the development team reacted negatively, finding it unnecessary, citing issues of player empowerment.

A number of individuals have expressed confusion as to the nature of Raynor's personality in Wings of Liberty, how in regards to his relationship with Kerrigan, he had apparently drifted from his vow to kill her. Writer Brian Kindregan has defended the shift, arguing that it was unlikely that Raynor would remain in "emotional purgatory" for four years, that it would be expected his attitude would change over this time. However, he did concede that because players did not experience this shift with Raynor as a character, confusion could arise from the two personalities.

However, I also happen to have a bit of inside knowledge. I've been to Blizzcon on Blizzard's dime twice because of some of the Starcraft 2 mods I've worked on, and part of that was going to some Blizzcon afterparties with big-name SC2 modders and rubbing elbows with Blizzard developers and writers. As such, I can tell you that the "emotional purgatory" is a post-hoc justification and a total load of crap. The events of the first game and its expansion(s) were intended to have messed up Raynor pretty bad, and Metzen's original draft of the story was all about portraying that. Unfortunately, the team didn't want the first third of Starcraft 2's lifecycle to be so negative since the Terrans spent so much time losing or being manipulated in the previous installments, so the narrative was shifted to something simpler and more empowering.

At the time, it worked. Despite Raynor's unexplained massive priority shift, Wings of Liberty was largely successful and its campaign was (mostly) received positively. However, players had the expectation that Starcraft 2 was going to be getting new content on a much more rapid cycle, and when that didn't materialize, opinions soured. There's a good chance that the Wings of Liberty campaign would have been remembered more fondly if it didn't take three years for Heart of the Swarm to follow up on it, but that didn't happen, and we got what we got.

Kith fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 23, 2023

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
See, this intermission shows why I like Tosh so much. The guy's weird as hell! He 'smells' the protoss on Jim, he calls Hanson zerg-bait… I guess I'm just drawn to the unexplained things, if only in part because it means it hasn't yet had a chance to be ruined by an unsatisfying explanation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god, this makes so much sense and also shows the dev team had strange priorities/ bad relationship with the writing team.
Quick compromise idea: Raynor starts with making some small mistakes which get noticed in plot but don't effect the gameplay> Jim finally fucks up majorly in plot leading to a hasty mission to salvage the war effort> Jim confronts his demons> redemption arc.

All that would take is a single mop-up mission, maybe a couple more in a redemptive feel.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kith posted:

At the time, it worked. Despite Raynor's unexplained massive priority shift, Wings of Liberty was largely successful and its campaign was (mostly) received positively. However, players had the expectation that Starcraft 2 was going to be getting new content on a much more rapid cycle, and when that didn't materialize, opinions soured. There's a good chance that the Wings of Liberty campaign would have been remembered more fondly if it didn't take three years for Heart of the Swarm to follow up on it, but that didn't happen, and we got what we got.

Huh, that sounds like the original idea was much stronger than what we got.

Personally I can't remember a single person who told me that they liked the Wings of Liberty storyline or characters, even when it first launched. A lot of people lauded the gameplay, especially in multiplayer, but never the storytelling.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The storyline was praised at the time because people were just happy to get another Starcraft game. With World of Warcraft's massive success and Ghost's cancellation, there was a very real fear that Blizzard just didn't care about making other games anymore, and being proven wrong meant that they were willing to be kinder to Wings of Liberty when it first released for fear of discouraging Blizzard from making further installments.

As for the characters in WoL, almost all of them were fan favorites in one way or another with the only real exceptions being Stettman (because he's an annoying, weasel-faced nerd), Horner (:qq: MEAN TO TYCHUS :qq:), and Tosh (a racist caricature had no chance of surviving a popularity contest with how insanely loving racist the vast majority of Blizzard's playerbase is).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Each game has one character worthy of being a favourite, and none of them are the main protagonists. Tychus, Abathur, and Alarak.

Thankfully all of them are playable (and very fun) in Heroes of the Storm.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

Stettman (because he's an annoying, weasel-faced nerd)

Also because he's, like, a literal nothing.

Seriously, the guy's had all of two conversations back when we first opened up the lab, then Hanson hijacked his role. Poor guy doesn't even get to talk about the Plot Critical Artifact anymore.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
All of Metzen's hand wringing over not wanting Raynor's alcoholism to mean robbing the player of their victories. And then, two short years later, Rockstar's Max Payne 3 portrayed just that very thing. Sure, that story got kind of dark and bleak, but it also made his rock bottom sobering up moment all the better.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DoubleNegative posted:

All of Metzen's hand wringing over not wanting Raynor's alcoholism to mean robbing the player of their victories. And then, two short years later, Rockstar's Max Payne 3 portrayed just that very thing. Sure, that story got kind of dark and bleak, but it also made his rock bottom sobering up moment all the better.

I think you misread, Metzen was totally down to rob the player of their victories - the ones doing the hand-wringing were the rest of the team. He definitely sucks for other reasons, but his original plan for SC2 was genuinely good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, it's weird to imagine a version of this campaign that has an emotional core and character development arc. Something that might even approach good writing.

I mean that wouldn't change some of the dumb plot beats later and especially the hot garbage of the later campaigns (that we get a nice preview of with these Zeratul missions!) but wow. Normally WoL's writing is only praised in contrast to the other two.

Anyway, I can never resist the temptation of the supply depot calldown power. There's just something viscerally satisfying about being able to queue up five depots on the same SCV and they just appear there in a big flashy landing animation. Sure, it's not optimal compared to better gas harvesting, but it sure does feel good.
Especially when you're at the level of play where you get distracted by battles and don't notice you've built up a resource bank because you forgot to build anything. Being able to immediately address your supply block is pretty handy for making up for that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

call-in depots rule, gently caress build times

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Kith posted:

I think you misread, Metzen was totally down to rob the player of their victories - the ones doing the hand-wringing were the rest of the team. He definitely sucks for other reasons, but his original plan for SC2 was genuinely good.

My mistake! To be fair, I am a former WoW Lore Enjoyer, so I'm used to reflexively blaming Metzen for stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Man, it's weird to imagine a version of this campaign that has an emotional core and character development arc. Something that might even approach good writing.

I mean that wouldn't change some of the dumb plot beats later and especially the hot garbage of the later campaigns (that we get a nice preview of with these Zeratul missions!) but wow. Normally WoL's writing is only praised in contrast to the other two.

Anyway, I can never resist the temptation of the supply depot calldown power. There's just something viscerally satisfying about being able to queue up five depots on the same SCV and they just appear there in a big flashy landing animation. Sure, it's not optimal compared to better gas harvesting, but it sure does feel good.
Especially when you're at the level of play where you get distracted by battles and don't notice you've built up a resource bank because you forgot to build anything. Being able to immediately address your supply block is pretty handy for making up for that.

I think the proposed version of the campaign would be even worse than what we got. There are already way, way too many overwrought "grappling with my inner demons" stories for it to be in any way novel or clever; and it lacks the punch it would have if it was a retelling of something that actually happened to a real person. At least romance stories have the benefit of being fun to read, but someone just being drunk and tormented doesn't have that.

It would have been good if they dropped the cheap emotional manipulation angles and came up with a plot that was at least somewhat original. I have some suggestions but I'll leave them until we get to the relevant plot beats.