Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, from what we've seen of their relationship, if they break up, Tiff has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, from what we've seen of their relationship, if they break up, Tiff has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You're not wrong, but you also know that if they do break up, Team Evans is going to write it in such a way to make it seem like her fault, because she's Tiffany and she's supposed to be the "bad one".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A study in contrasts:

Mutts has celebrated SDCC by tipping a hat to the characters that make these conventions necessary.

Crankshaft, however, says "Screw that, we're going shopping." And not even for the convention exclusives. Seriously, there's probably a Barnes & Noble down the road, buddy. Was this trip really necessary?

Anyway, back to The Curse Of Sally Forth.

Peanuts, in which Patty (Peppermint variation) plays against type by being the voice of reason. (July 24, 1976)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which the bloom comes off the hothouse flower. (February 24, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 14-16, 1942; timg'd for a Native American bit that feels a little borderline.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 22, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Huh, I remember Smokey Stover doing the exact same gag. Wonder who stole from who.

(Yes, I'm back. Comics will resume in due course.)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
You know, Crankshaft, comic conventions have panels where you might see the creators of the comics you like. Sometimes you can even get their signatures or just chat with them if they have tables in the artists' area.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Huh. For some reason I assumed they'd been selling nicotine vapes. If they were not, then I guess them going to juvie for this makes a little more sense.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's a joke response, he's trying to seem cooler to the more hardened prisoner.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Huh, I remember Smokey Stover doing the exact same gag. Wonder who stole from who.

(Yes, I'm back. Comics will resume in due course.)
Hope you had a good vacation!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Is Mark Trail gonna fight cops?

Mary Worth

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they show this on Sunday.

The Phantom

Dying for Rhodia's tyranny profits!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I still subscribe to a paper, but I went digital for this very reason. They basically delivered a pile of recycling to my house every day.

Still get Sundays for the crosswords but I may stop that too. I don't get the chance to do them most Sundays anymore.

Apartment 3-G

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I commonly heard "covid n" used the same way as "freshman 15". She's eating pizza at a party and talking about going to more parties that she had to skip due to the pandemic. Weight gain makes some sense in context, but it's awkwardly phrased as gently caress.

A joke about a visibly extremely skinny girl getting more fat isn't really great to begin with but it's especially awkward to use with an ambiguous slang term. Of course it's perfectly funny if you're using irony-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lj9qI8VFc&t=220s

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 14-16, 1942; timg'd for a Native American bit that feels a little borderline.)

Huh, it never occurred to me that pot bellied stoves are moveable. Also, I wonder if I go digging into past posts I'll find the family repeatedly whitewashing and painting that doorway smaller and smaller.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ardeem posted:

Huh, it never occurred to me that pot bellied stoves are moveable. Also, I wonder if I go digging into past posts I'll find the family repeatedly whitewashing and painting that doorway smaller and smaller.
I've seen the 'moving the stove out/in for the summer/winter' thing a few times now. Until OOW I never thought about it either though. It must weigh a ton I would probably have just left it all year.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "154 - Jucika Is Frying Doughnuts"

"155 - Jucika And The Mud"

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Is Mark Trail gonna fight cops?

Jules has gone years without drawing an interesting action scene so probably not.

Mark's plan seems insanely stupid to me. It's like journalists at the white house morning presser trying to scream gotchas at the press secretary.

Sure, we're the readers and we know that Mark is right but nobody is gonna take him seriously, Politician Dirtbag doesn't even have to pretend to offer a response(and thus trip himself up, give anything away or sweat under pressure) and Mark has guaranteed he gets thrown out or arrested.

But hey, at least it's consistent with all the other times Mark had really lovely plans. Maybe he knows that in next weeks strips he'll get another free ride to the plot.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just read an interesting (offline) article about the alternative comic Underworld by Kaz and thought it was worth mentioning in case any of our resident archivists are looking for some new, old thing to post. I don't think we've had an alternative comic in the thread since The Bus...which hasn't been posted in awhile come to think of it which is too bad since The Bus is really good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brigman seems to be having some fun drawing dachshund close-ups with this story, and I don’t blame her.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I don't know whose art is worse. Mark Trail or Mandrake.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

I don't know whose art is worse. Mark Trail or Mandrake.

Mandrake at least has the excuse that its artist was 77 years old at the time.

Pogo 2/4/51

Archie 9/29 - 10/1/47

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

E-mail? I can understand social media and hate scrolling but what kind of e-mails are you getting overnight that e-mail is a negative start to your day?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Sorry for all the scan artifacts, I guess I need to clean the scanner bed!

Pluggers are falling apart

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

E-mail? I can understand social media and hate scrolling but what kind of e-mails are you getting overnight that e-mail is a negative start to your day?

I work in the US for a company with manufacturing in Taiwan. Email is frequently the reason for a day starting negatively.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

manero posted:

Pluggers are falling apart

I am a plugger :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Change Clifford to Charles and it's perfect.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hostile V posted:

...heh, that Bizarro took me a second. Clever.

Only just got that one, I was focused on the designs they had.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

H

The Phantom

Dying for Rhodia's tyranny profits!

The Phantom has killed more people in this storyline alone than he did in the scandinavian comics that were published for several decades.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Medenmath posted:

I used to be a fast touch-typer, but my ability has been degrading for years since I don't play games where you need to type fast to talk poo poo anymore.

Vintage Valiant (May 11, 1958)

readingatwork posted:

There are some very good expressions in Prince Valiant today.

You're not wrong but the pirate in panel four angrily but futilely shaking his fist was what grabbed my attention and we can't even see his face at all.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

camp.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Some Guy TT posted:

I just read an interesting (offline) article about the alternative comic Underworld by Kaz and thought it was worth mentioning in case any of our resident archivists are looking for some new, old thing to post. I don't think we've had an alternative comic in the thread since The Bus...which hasn't been posted in awhile come to think of it which is too bad since The Bus is really good.

Sure, let's take it for a spin, why not.

Underworld LA Weekly 11/21 - 28/1996

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wait how is the loving rabbit an only child?

Actually no, I don't need an answer.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Now THAT'S some username/avatar/post/universe synergy right there.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Some Guy TT posted:

I just read an interesting (offline) article about the alternative comic Underworld by Kaz and thought it was worth mentioning in case any of our resident archivists are looking for some new, old thing to post.

I’d be down for this — the early years are deeply weird and cool, though it eventually got bad. I miss seeing Lloyd Dangle’s stuff, too.

e: beaten LIKE A DOG.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Anything work-related? The best that can be said of an email from your employer is that at least it isn't a phone call, so you don't have to pretend to be cheerful about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You know what else I was doing last year and could start up again?
Yeah, Judge Parker recaps. I was only five months behind when we left off and now I'm 14 months behind, but I'm going to carry on from there anyway. Let's see if I stick with it long enough to reach the present this time.

So Randy goes to talk to the mayor about the fake arson video.

This leads to him finally telling Abbey about it, and the fact that he thought it might have been real this whole time.

And Mike Manley took a break from illustrating the comic due to health issues. Fortunately he wasn't out long.

Extremely fortunate. :pwn:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Nancika

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Sorry for all the scan artifacts, I guess I need to clean the scanner bed!

These are ... oddly relevant.