Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Knives are incredibly easy to clean. Why would you put it in the dishwasher to take up space? Even if I had a dishwasher I'd still take the 15 seconds to wash my favorite knife because I'd need it again before this theoretical dish wash cycle was run/finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Forget about dishwashwes. Those double openning fridges are nun chuks.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ranter posted:

I'd still take the 15 seconds to wash my favorite knife because I'd need it again.

to stab vicpol?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
lol.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

While we're on the topic of knives, my mum was convinced that you should never leave the dishwasher door open because she read somewhere that someone somewhere tripped over a dishwasher door and was impaled on a knife that was in the dishwasher and died.

I have heard that one, but in the context of a toddler gouging their eye out on one or some such :stare:

I'm sure it's something that someone, somewhere has maimed themselves on. However, I am absolutely not looking it up - I don't want to find out how many dishwasher-related accidents happen per year then impale myself on a fork in the dishwasher after being overly-cautious about the wretched thing. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
We only watch the dishwasher door being open because the younger dog wants to lick the cutlery

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get rid of our dishwasher and put in more cabinets. They're a waste of tme for 2 people.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

wtf happened in 1988

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You had until June 1988 to dispose of assets with no CGT before it kicked in.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why does the victoria logo have an inverted pyramid? does the victorian government have a geofront?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Ooh la la, dishwasher privilege is showing
I put in Hard Yakka scrubbing my utensils and crockery

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why does the victoria logo have an inverted pyramid? does the victorian government have a geofront?

Danluminati confirmed

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Non Compos Mentis posted:

its the underground pedophile tunnels or w/e

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

im not qualified to interpret this but at a glance its an interesting expression of the idea that in uncertain economic times property is always a safe ticket

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

You had until June 1988 to dispose of assets with no CGT before it kicked in.

this.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bad posts only. This is the way.

Also since I'm the only one posting news:

Guardian AU posted:

CFMEU to launch campaign to push Labor to adopt policy of 40% tax on excess profits to cover cost of building 750,000 homes

The CFMEU wants the government to implement a super profits tax to raise billions for building new social and affordable homes, saying Labor must be “much more ambitious” in addressing the housing crisis.

The major construction union will launch a national advertising blitz and push Labor to adopt the policy at the party’s national conference next month. The CFMEU secretary, Zach Smith, says a super profits tax of 40% of excess profits would “comfortably” cover the cost of building more than 750,000 new social and affordable homes.

Good.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That reminds me, with the talk of Labor changing the path from casual to full time work conversion, does anyone know what figures the business guy was quoting when he said something like only 1.2% of casuals convert to full time? I may be remembering the wrong number but it was abysmally low. I just naturally thought bull poo poo, that's probably the amount of people that did convert, not the amount of people who should have been offered the conversion or were aware they could convert their pseudo-full time casual job into unemployment by asking.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Bad posts only. This is the way.

Also since I'm the only one posting news:

Good.
Except the biggest turn over companies mysteriously have no profits to tax even normally. Thanks big 4 cheaters!

The casual change over numbers are sub 5%. What that means nobody knows. I've heard a bunch of stuff including 'most casuals like the 25% loading and flexible hours'.

Speaking of figures you don't trust, the Productivity Commission has a new boss. Token Labor, but well known Neo-Con.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Eediot Jedi posted:

That reminds me, with the talk of Labor changing the path from casual to full time work conversion, does anyone know what figures the business guy was quoting when he said something like only 1.2% of casuals convert to full time? I may be remembering the wrong number but it was abysmally low. I just naturally thought bull poo poo, that's probably the amount of people that did convert, not the amount of people who should have been offered the conversion or were aware they could convert their pseudo-full time casual job into unemployment by asking.

There’s huge barriers to converting, even down to orgs arbitrarily changing hours in order to not trigger anything as well as refusing the requests.

The current legislation is a joke and toothless as poo poo. Not sure how changes will make a difference given it’s about enforcement.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Recoome posted:

There’s huge barriers to converting, even down to orgs arbitrarily changing hours in order to not trigger anything as well as refusing the requests.

Correct. Even for professions like nurses who have explicitly defined processes in industrial awards it's very rarely achievable due to skullduggery.

NSW Nurses and Midwives Award posted:

A casual employee engaged by a particular employer on a regular and systematic basis for a sequence of periods of employment under this Award during a calendar period of six months shall thereafter have the right to elect to have his or her ongoing contract of employment converted to permanent full-time employment or part-time employment if the employment is to continue beyond the conversion process prescribed by this subclause.

They even have clauses to prevent roster fuckery to avoid it but it's still nigh impossible because they tie it up in all sorts of bullshit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

The current legislation is a joke and toothless as poo poo. Not sure how changes will make a difference given it’s about enforcement.

Or not renewing your contract for a certain period to break continuous service, or just firing people if they look like they're at risk of converting. The problem is this stuff doesn't work unless you have strong labor protections in place to enforce it and... *laughs in fair work comission*

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

ABC news posted:

Peter Dutton briefed by AFP on suspected corrupt contractor before department signed multi-million Nauru deal
The prime minister says Peter Dutton must answer why the former government entered into contracts with a man suspected of bribing Nauruan officials despite being warned by the Australian Federal Police.

As first reported in Nine Newspapers, the AFP confirmed that the agency had briefed then-home affairs minister Mr Dutton about Bhojani just months before he was charged with bribery offences.

The department said it had received legal advice that it did not have a right to terminate the contracts because they were not with corporate group Radiance International Pty, but rather with Radiance International Inc, of which Bhojani was not listed as a director.

But even after Bhojani was charged with bribery offences the department continued to extend its contracts with Radiance International.

quote:

Speaking this morning, opposition frontbencher Michaelia Cash said she was "aware of the issues" relating to the contracts, but that it was a matter for the Home Affairs department.

"There is no suggestion that Peter Dutton himself played a part in signing the contracts. These contracts are signed by the Department of Home Affairs," Senator Cash said.

lmao at Cash indicating Peter Dutton, after being briefed his department was potentially signing a deal with a corrupt businessman, did............... nothing to make sure that didn't happen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
When I tried to convert from casual to part time I got told to gently caress off because the future of the business was in question (one of the exemptions) but it seemed to be doing fine but then covid hit and i quit anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

lmao at Cash indicating Peter Dutton, after being briefed his department was potentially signing a deal with a corrupt businessman, did............... nothing to make sure that didn't happen.

"You're about to do a deal with a corrupt businessman!"

"Do you know how little that narrows it down?"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Just read in the paper at the cafe that Comrade Andrews is taking over housing development in corrupt council areas with already decent transport and infrastructure, to build high rises. Melbourne is going to be turned in China, God willing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
About time a state government stepped in and told a council to gently caress off

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"You're about to do a deal with a corrupt businessman!"

"Do you know how little that narrows it down?"

I just love it when Cash's tiny lawyer brain takes over and she jumps to "you can't prove that he had any hand in it", where if that were true, you could immediately prove he wasn't doing his job as minister and managing his department.

Like it's one thing to not be aware and not have a hand in it, totally different to be aware of it and not put your hand in it when you're responsible for the department.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

I just love it when Cash's tiny lawyer brain takes over and she jumps to "you can't prove that he had any hand in it", where if that were true, you could immediately prove he wasn't doing his job as minister and managing his department.

Like it's one thing to not be aware and not have a hand in it, totally different to be aware of it and not put your hand in it when you're responsible for the department.

It's basically the defence of incompetence rather than corruption.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
How could Dutton realise he was dealing with a corrupt person? It's not like he deals with the libs every day

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

It's basically the defence of incompetence rather than corruption.

I don't think there's implications of corruption on our end, no one is suggesting dutto or anyone was paid off, it's that the department were dealing with a company closely tied to another company with a director first who was going to be charged with corruption, then kept dealing with the company closely tied to the company with the guy now convicted of corruption.

Sort of like how can you justify sending taxpayer dollerydoos to a company closely tied to someone known to be corrupt, there is a fair risk taxpayer funds would not be used for what they were supposed to have been used for. Why risk it, why not look for the service elsewhere?

Also the department continued to deal with this company after labor took over, though I don't think it's been confirmed yet if the labor minister was briefed on the allegations/actual prosecution.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
kinda weird how the vote yes to the voice people havent done their own version of your the voice

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DaveColvin/status/1683637697649479680

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jjjove/status/1680770095487025154

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Clearly Jenny needs to explain RoboDebt to him.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m sure glad we have the IBAC to root out the corrupt and punish them.

ABC article posted:

How a developer influenced State MPs and candidates

For over a decade, Mr Woodman manipulated and improperly influenced Casey councillors with hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash payments, creating and funding community groups for personal gain and coaching councillors to vote in favour of his lucrative planning developments.

But he also bought access to Victorian MPs and senior decision makers, by donating nearly $1 million to both major political parties as he tried to manipulate ministerial planning processes.

Between September 2010 and June 2019, more than 180 transactions were paid from Mr Woodman's accounts to the two major political parties, including $439,268 to Labor and $530,700 to the Liberal Party, often through the parties' fundraising arms Progressive Business and Enterprise Victoria.

IBAC said Mr Woodman succeeded in two instances, when he donated to the election campaigns of Labor's Jude Perera and Judith Graley and successfully lobbied them to advocate for his interests in relation to one Cranbourne West planning application known as Amendment C219. He also hosted fundraisers for candidates including Ms Graley.

"Ms Graley and Mr Perera (and his staff) sought to influence Victorian government decision-makers, including the minister for planning, in favour of Amendment C219."

A composite image of Judith Graley and Jude Perera
Between 2010 and 2019, Mr Woodman's donations totalled over $470,000 to the two candidates, who both agreed to accept payments from different accounts and entities.

The five-year long probe made 34 recommendations that focus on tightening councillor codes of conduct, stripping councils of their planning powers and calls on the government to consider banning all donations from property developers.

Despite the damning findings, IBAC does not make any recommendations for criminal charges or further investigation.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

I’m sure glad we have the IBAC to root out the corrupt and punish them.

JFC... :fuckoff:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

the true power of ibac is the power of forgiveness

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sounds like Albo is going to go for a DD. Could he really get enough to get a Senate he doesn't need the Greens for?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
a senate where labor is not reliant on the greens or coalition to pass legislation is not any sort of remotely realistic possibility.

double dissolution talk is almost certainly just bluster (or the media getting carried away) and if labor were serious at all about it the actual intention would be to lock in another term with a majority while they're still well ahead in the polls. they would not be able to meaningfully change the balance of power in the senate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Comstar posted:

Sounds like Albo is going to go for a DD. Could he really get enough to get a Senate he doesn't need the Greens for?

Absolutely no chance