Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

commie kong posted:

The app doesn't have any background activity, as far as I'm aware. Could you have a look at Settings, Battery, scroll down a bit and select Last 10 days and then Show Activity?

That should show you how much time each app has been "on screen" vs "background".

It's definitely the Awful app.

My battery life went terrible about a week ago, which would be roughly when my phone updated to the latest version of Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

:wow:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally the Bitcoin miner feature I have been waiting for, to accompany the search.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah wow. The app doesn't even have any background activity capabilities. And I don't just mean no features, I mean Apple app entitlements you need to apply for background stuff to even happen. You might not even be able to disable background activity for the app due to that lack of capability being set.

When it moves to background it stops a cache pruning timer and does a save of the current Core Data context. That's all I could see, so something's hosed.

Anyone else getting that?

withak posted:

Finally the Bitcoin miner feature I have been waiting for, to accompany the search.

Lol

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just checked mine and sure enough, exactly the same background usage. Which is odd because I have Background App Refresh globally disabled

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I have not been having this issue on the beta from 22 days ago

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just checked mine and sure enough, exactly the same background usage. Which is odd because I have Background App Refresh globally disabled

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have not been having this issue on the beta from 22 days ago

Thanks!

Okay, so for more info for the very curious (skip this post if not): The only significant background-related function is in the DataStore.swift file (line 46).

This takes in a Notification, which is "A container for information broadcast through a notification center to all registered observers."

A few other files have observers for this notification: PostsViewExternalStylesheetLoader.swift, AnnouncementListRefresher.swift, PrivateMessageInboxRefresher.swift, and MRActivityIndicatorView.m.

For Announcements and Private Messages, it cancels the timer that periodically checks for new announcements/PMs. It's cancelling the timer that gets started when the app first loads or enters the foreground.

For PostsViewExternalStylesheetLoader, it cancels the timer that periodically checks for this css file: https://awfulapp.com/posts-view-style.css
Which is interesting, I've never looked at that before. It blanks out some username decorations? I suppose we don't have those files or something? I'll ask pokeyman about that one.

The MRActivityIndicatorView file doesn't deal with any timers, it just cancels any progress animations if one is playing while entering the background.

The only real work that takes place is in the DataStore file that I linked to above. It cancels a timer and saves the CoreData context, which is good and it should do that or things will crash (even more).

However all these Notifications and Observers are an oldschool way of doing things, I think. This article mentions methods that we aren't using at all (only the "Begin and End Background Task" beginning section applies to AwfulApp as we don't actually have bitcoin miners or the entitlements set to facilitate them. We'd need to implement the rest of the article to do that and then Apple would need to approve it): https://absenceofnunchi.com/2022/04/19/how-background-mode-works-in-swift/

Anyway, am rubber ducking a bit here. I'll send this post to pokeyman and see what he thinks, but I'm inclined to try and move to the AppDelegate functions described in the first section of that article.

As for "the last update did this" line of thinking that come up sometimes... sometimes it's NOT updating things that causes issues. iOS is always updating and this app (which i love) is legacy as hell.

Edit: Oh also, the beta and the live app are the same build atm fyi

commie kong fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 23, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://youtu.be/vUz9xCTOPRw

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 23, 2023

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

commie kong posted:

As for "the last update did this" line of thinking that come up sometimes... sometimes it's NOT updating things that causes issues. iOS is always updating and this app (which i love) is legacy as hell.

There was an iPhone update about a week ago that could be the cause. Rapid Security Response iOS 16.5.1 (c)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Urcher posted:

It's definitely the Awful app.

My battery life went terrible about a week ago, which would be roughly when my phone updated to the latest version of Awful.

:dogstare:

Nothing here on the 14 pro max, here's the last 10 days

Yes maybe I do browse too much, mind your business :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is the past 10 days for me:

iPhone 12, 16.5.1(c)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 23, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Me too in the current beta.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regarding the iPad crash: I've not had it crash, but I've seen a couple of times that pressing "Preview" (after drafting a new post) would just get me a blank loading page. I can press back and then preview again and it's still broken. It doesn't happen every time. Maybe only when I take too long to compose a message (is there a short lived session cookie or something?)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Not seeing it on the iOS 17 beta on my 13 pro, but it seems my own time management is completely hosed if there's some way for an update to address that.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

NFX posted:

Regarding the iPad crash: I've not had it crash, but I've seen a couple of times that pressing "Preview" (after drafting a new post) would just get me a blank loading page. I can press back and then preview again and it's still broken. It doesn't happen every time. Maybe only when I take too long to compose a message (is there a short lived session cookie or something?)

That happens to me from time to time. Loading the parent forum of whatever thread I’m posting in clears it up.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I think the usage reporting is just broken. And/or it could be an iOS or battery issue. Not saying this app can't be improved re: performance and battery life (it defs can, as pokeyman mentions below), but it's definitely not programmed to be doing things while backgrounded. As it moves to background, it does the small tasks I described in an earlier post and that's all. The code can be audited on GitHub :v:

Been searching around and people have been talking about this for years and many different apps.

https://support.photoephemeris.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005339503-App-shows-time-in-background-in-Battery-Usage-iOS-apps-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/background-activity-despite-settings-throws-off-battery-stats.2322207/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/app-background-refreshing-even-when-disabled.2075262/

Pokeyman replied to me:

pokeyman posted:

I don't have any bright ideas for the battery use, unfortunately. I'm not seeing it myself, though I am on the TestFlight build so I'll install the App Store build and see if that changes anything. (idk why it would, as you pointed out it's the same build, but worth a shot!) You're right that we don't have any entitlements for background processing, so our only chance to run in the background is the brief time iOS gives us when we transition from the foreground. And that's quite limited (30 seconds?) unless you ask for more time, which I don't think we do. And even if you ask for more time, I think it's on the order of minutes. If you try to get clever and just refuse to stop working, you get terminated. So I don't think that explains the massive background time in that screenshot.

Some system frameworks will ask for more time, e.g. I think Core Data does while it's trying to save a context. And I don't know what WKWebView does in the background, it definitely supports doing things (e.g. audio can keep playing) and sometimes you have to reload the page when coming back to the foreground (I assume because the web view process was terminated), so maybe there's some runaway web view thing? Not even sure how to start testing that theory.

I just had a quick look at Xcode's Organizer. The Crashes section doesn't have much from version 6.3, though the 4th most frequent crash is in DataStore.applicationDidEnterBackground which is interesting.

There's also an Energy section, which for 6.3 lists four internal WebKit calls that are getting us in trouble with high CPU use. That somewhat increases my suspicion of web views, but I'm not getting anything more specific from these reports.

I'll take a look at that DataStore file sometime this week. Been meaning to update the way CoreData stuff is handled anyway. Over the years I've taken multiple stabs at fixing the crash that happens when you log out and try to log back in and I think updating the coredata stuff will do that. Maybe it will help with this other stuff too. Tho I still don't trust those background stats. By opening and closing the app repeatedly I got my stats to say 21 minutes of background activity for Awfulapp and then all that background activity disappeared completely.

susan b buffering posted:

Not seeing it on the iOS 17 beta on my 13 pro, but it seems my own time management is completely hosed if there's some way for an update to address that.

I know you're joking, but while I was searching I actually did find something for time management

https://osxdaily.com/2021/11/13/screen-time-inaccurate-issue-iphone-ipad/

https://osxdaily.com/2020/03/26/set-time-limit-apps-iphone-ipad-screen-time/

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

commie kong posted:

In other news, fileglass - the potential alternative image host that was offering a free application api - has declared they're shutting down and that the service was always doomed to fail from the start. So that's cool.
lol

quote:

Fileglass is no longer operating.
We regret to inform that we will be suspending Fileglass operations indefinitely. With incredibly low usage and high running costs, it's simply not profitable nor feasible to run. MongoDB's support is absolutely non-existent and they have been at no help, not even attempting to recover our data - I can't even access backups. Their support team haven't responded to our numerous emails or tickets. Development has also slowed to a halt as Jesus, Yannick and I are way too busy with work/personal commitments and I'm way to occupied with other things to dedicate our time to Fileglass. For the 10% that were active users, sorry; ultimately there's not much further I can do at this point.
As with prior outages/shutdowns, the CDN will remain online and your files will still remain up. Should you wish to delete specific/all files that belong to you, please get in touch. I (noodles) rarely use Discord anymore, so if you need an urgent response, use Intercom at https://help.file.glass/.
Fileglass was an amazing learning experience for Jesus & I but I think we can all agree that it's been a very bumpy ride and this was always the likely outcome. Nonetheless, for those who stayed along for the ride, thank you.
With love, Noodles, Wowjesus & Yannick ❤️

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Which is odd because I have Background App Refresh globally disabled

Someone who knows more about iOS development please correct me if I’m wrong, but “Background App Refresh” is just one specific type of background activity that an app can perform. Toggling it off does not disable all background activity.

The fact that it has such a generic name and Apple doesn’t give you controls to disable any other types of background activity make this non-obvious.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

The background activity problem has vanished overnight. The night before last my phone ran completely out of battery. I suspect the iOS security update messed something up causing a lot of background activity to be attributed to the Awful app and the hard reset from running out of battery fixed it.

Awful has 51 min on screen and no background activity in the last 24 hours. No change in app or iOS version.

If anyone else is having the background activity problem try a hard reset.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Looking forward to the search function! Thanks for working on that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Actual bug report: on the oled dark theme, the “is this post nsfw” (at least I THINK it’s that) text above the toggle is invisible when you try to report something

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snitches get glitches.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i dunno if this is something you have any control over, but in embedded twitch clips you can't go to the clip page, you can only copy the url:

tapping it without holding it does nothing. embedded youtubes also have a "go to youtube" button here iirc

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

commie kong posted:

In less glum news, here's some Search stuff I started a few weeks ago. There's still more to do (like pagination, UI stuff) but it's pretty promising so far.

https://i.imgur.com/sGdHNHI.mp4

Ugh, does this mean I need to look into adding posting threads? gently caress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

euphronius posted:

I miss easily posting pictures a lot :(

The old versions of the app still work for this if you’ve got an old copy around.

I avoided upgrading from 6.1 and it’s been working fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The old versions of the app still work for this if you’ve got an old copy around.

I avoided upgrading from 6.1 and it’s been working fine.

The shortcut is actually better since you don’t have to worry about converting it to jpg before you try and do it in the app.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

The shortcut is actually better since you don’t have to worry about converting it to jpg before you try and do it in the app.

?? I’ve never had problems with this. Maybe I’m just not finding pictures on obscure enough websites. I think I’ve had a handful of times where it was that dumb web only image extension I’m blanking on now.

Edit either way the shortcut still requires an Imgur account right? So lol no.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah i don't think the app feature needed me to convert an image ever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

b_d posted:

Oh well if you use take a photo with the camera you need to make it a jpg first :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

b_d posted:

There are times when the app would straight up fail on .heic files if they had never been converted to a .jpg by any other software. I could add an image to a post, but the preview would be blank. The solution for me was to add the image, copy it, delete the original, and then paste the image as the clipboard on iOS automatically copies the .jpg version.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it is possible i never happened to try to upload a photo i had taken. or gave up and forgot when it didn't work

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
heic or webp never worked with the native app uploader in my experience, but jpg upload worked like 99.5% of the time

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Current version is adding url tags when I try to upload an image. The image button does the same exact thing as the url button.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Current version is adding url tags when I try to upload an image. The image button does the same exact thing as the url button.

Read prior posts this is intended behavior

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you’re uploading from Imgur change the pasted URL /URL tags to TIMG and /TIMG as long as it’s a jpg

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Have imgur done the threatened 'purge of non-account uploads' yet..? Or if not is there a date / ballpark for it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Thread title

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anything to be done after the report dialogue to confirm your report has been submitted? At the moment it just disappears after you hit submit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Have imgur done the threatened 'purge of non-account uploads' yet..? Or if not is there a date / ballpark for it?

Not that I'm aware

My wild-rear end guess is that at some point they'll start purging anonymous images that haven't been accessed in X days/years

I've yet to see any communication from imgur on the topic since they updated their fine print. And SA management has had a wall of deafening silence about any future progress on "image upload 2.0" despite near-constant prodding about it. Astral promised an update at some point but other than "i'm very busy right now" haven't heard from her in at least a month on the topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm hoping the imgur purge will be generous enough that it won't hit anything that's gotten occasional views over the years like anything on the forums; there's gotta be a shitload of stuff they host that's linked nowhere and gets literally no traffic so hopefully they can just keep it to those