Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They got on the bad side of an AC-130. I don’t know the words to describe exactly how bad that is, aside from “the entire apocalypse is happening to you in particular” if one of those is shooting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Was it the one with an artillery cannon or the one with the minigun sticking out the side?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mokotow posted:

Was it the one with an artillery cannon or the one with the minigun sticking out the side?

Yes

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My favorite part of the US/Wagner showdown is that, if i remember it correctly, the only injury on the US side was one guy who rolled his ankle.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, doesn't it have both. Like it has so much poo poo on it that it can't all be fired at once without ripping the whole plane apart.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jaysus

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Anyone know if the bridge is still closed?

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66276788

Crimea bridge closed after fuel depot hit - Russia

A drone attack on an ammunition depot in Crimea has led to civilian evacuations and disrupted transport, Russian authorities have said.

Sergei Aksyonov, the Russian-installed governor of occupied Crimea, said Ukraine was behind the attack, without providing evidence.

Mr Aksyonov said local residents living within five kilometres of the blast were being evacuated.

Rail services across the Kerch bridge have also reportedly been halted.

Earlier on Saturday, Russian authorities stopped traffic on the bridge, but then swiftly reopened it to cars.

A later update from the Moscow-installed government said road traffic was again halted until further notice.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

With Russia's propensity to play stupid 'I'm not touching you' games, I have to imagine the US forces were already thoroughly sick of Russia's poo poo by the time this incident occurred. I imagine the conversation went something like:

:911: : We can see you coming, hold off your attack!
:ussr: That's not us, trust me bro!
:911: : So you're saying there are absolutely no Russian forces in this area?
:ussr: : That's correct.
:911: : Thank you. That's all I needed to hear.

And then the US forces pretty much went to town. You can see the list of equipment they brought to bear on the Wagnerites in the Wikipedia article. They even brought a B52 bomber . That's just a hilarious amount of overkill. Pretty much just flexing at that point.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I took a look at this chart again. There does seem to be a strength disparity.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I took a look at this chart again. There does seem to a strength disparity.

The US was annoyed.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Philonius posted:

With Russia's propensity to play stupid 'I'm not touching you' games, I have to imagine the US forces were already thoroughly sick of Russia's poo poo by the time this incident occurred. I imagine the conversation went something like:

:911: : We can see you coming, hold off your attack!
:ussr: That's not us, trust me bro!
:911: : So you're saying there are absolutely no Russian forces in this area?
:ussr: : That's correct.
:911: : Thank you. That's all I needed to hear.

And then the US forces pretty much went to town. You can see the list of equipment they brought to bear on the Wagnerites in the Wikipedia article. They even brought a B52 bomber . That's just a hilarious amount of overkill. Pretty much just flexing at that point.

To be fair part of that list was around in case someone actually tried to do anything about the poo poo storm raining on Wagner. Would have been a really ugly night to be an Su-35 or air defense asset looking for trouble in the vicinity.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My favorite detail of that Wagner/US punchup was how willing the Russian military was to hang Wagner out to dry. I'll bet there weren't a whole lot of tears shed anywhere in the Russian MoD for the outcome of that battle.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mokotow posted:

It's a ridiculous movie but the scene essentially gets right how an AC-130 is used. Since they can move pretty slow and stay aloft they just circle a tight target area and rain down multiple cannon and rotary cannon shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQazjMVBMI

Their weakness of course is it's a big slow aircraft with a huge signature so any kind of reliable AA can get them. But with no AA they're monstrous close air support.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 22, 2023

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

spankmeister posted:

Classic WAR CRIME GIGOLO posting

Yes, try not to get sucked into their head cannon.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
How vulnerable are AC-130's to MANPAD's?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mederlock posted:

They usually orbit pretty high up, and there's other resources around usually to cover them.

Also US C-130s are all equipped with flares and LAIRCM (Laser anti-infrared missile countermeasures)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Very. They're big and slow and to do what they do they have to fly fairly low.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Remember the UK giving Ukraine some Brimstome and having it fired from a civilian truck?

While I really want that to be true, the only source seems to be oryx quoting a tabloid article that gives no sources.

That being said the UK have announced giving 600(?) Brimstones to Ukraine, which I feel is way more than they would commit to if they were still launching them from a couple of ice cream trucks.

A salvo of 8 brimstones from 10-20km away would absolutely flatten most armored advances.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warbadger posted:

To be fair part of that list was around in case someone actually tried to do anything about the poo poo storm raining on Wagner. Would have been a really ugly night to be an Su-35 or air defense asset looking for trouble in the vicinity.

yeah, don't forget the big lols we had recently that the first kill an F-22 had was the spy balloon from china recently. the F-22 saw ""action"" in syria but it was very much a matter of "better to have it and not need it than the other way around."

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's a ridiculous movie but the scene essentially gets right how an AC-130 is used. Since they can move pretty slow and stay aloft they just circle a tight target area and rain down multiple cannon and rotary cannon shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQazjMVBMI

Their weakness of course is it's a big slow aircraft with a huge signature so any kind of reliable AA can get them. But with no AA they're monstrous close air support.

there's also that one calladoody level where you are the gunner of an AC-130 and you spend the entire level fielding air support requests from a unit of marines down on the ground. the entire experience is switching between guns that might as well be labeled "blend", "puree" and "vaporize".

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first hand Wagner account of coming under AC-130 fire was watching all the building around you get ground to dust.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

large hands posted:

While I really want that to be true, the only source seems to be oryx quoting a tabloid article that gives no sources.

That being said the UK have announced giving 600(?) Brimstones to Ukraine, which I feel is way more than they would commit to if they were still launching them from a couple of ice cream trucks.

A salvo of 8 brimstones from 10-20km away would absolutely flatten most armored advances.
It's inconceivable that they would still be using the basic jerry-rigged trucks; either there's a platform we hadn't seen or we weren't seeing anything because Brimstone to Ukraine was a short-lived "throw everything and see what sticks" experiment that didn't stick. The Supercat Wolfram definitely exists because it was shown publicly at an Army expo in London during the week. It also has the look of something that has been assembled to be actually deployed in a short time.

I would put the Independent above tabloid, although it'd be good to have formal on-the-record confirmation. Supacat stuff has been in the official list of donated military equipment, a few modded to have the Brimstone launchers isn't unbelievable. . 'Several dozen' does seem a bit high but they probably need quite a few to make sure of all the Brimstones effectively, or it's a misunderstanding of all the supacat stuff sent.

If they do have them, I'm sure video/pics will leak soon enough.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's inconceivable that they would still be using the basic jerry-rigged trucks; either there's a platform we hadn't seen or we weren't seeing anything because Brimstone to Ukraine was a short-lived "throw everything and see what sticks" experiment that didn't stick. The Supercat Wolfram definitely exists because it was shown publicly at an Army expo in London during the week. It also has the look of something that has been assembled to be actually deployed in a short time.

I would put the Independent above tabloid, although it'd be good to have formal on-the-record confirmation. Supacat stuff has been in the official list of donated military equipment, a few modded to have the Brimstone launchers isn't unbelievable. . 'Several dozen' does seem a bit high but they probably need quite a few to make sure of all the Brimstones effectively, or it's a misunderstanding of all the supacat stuff sent.

If they do have them, I'm sure video/pics will leak soon enough.

I really hope it is true.

Speaking of mysterious crash programs, remember this announcement in May?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-war-may-15-1.6843533

CBC article posted:

Sunak said Britain would provide Ukraine with hundreds of air defence missiles and further unmanned aerial systems, including new long-range attack drones with a range of more than 200 kilometres, to be delivered "over the coming months."

Things have started blowing up further out in Crimea in the last week or so...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Disturbing news coming from the Polish border it appears that Russia is starting to mobilize and buildup military equipment.

And Poland is in turn mobilizing.

I don't even know what the gently caress to say about this one

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I did the same and cannot find a source other than a few thousand troops moving to the frontier due to the rhetoric against Poland and Wagner moving in. My source states that Russian equipment is being moved to the border of Belarus and Poland. The news is like hours old at this point so let's revisit this Monday and see if any news sources pick it up

spankmeister posted:

Classic WAR CRIME GIGOLO posting

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kchama posted:

The US was annoyed.

That, and the Powers That Be wanted to make it very clear that the US was only holding back for diplomatic reasons. Hitting this particular unit with extreme prejudice was an excellent way to send a "Stop playing "I'm not touching you" with us" message.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

"And analysis that proceeds from the assumption that it did is flawed thereby" is the pseudo-intellectual sentence of the week.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

the reddit r/place Ukraine flag is really well made

There does not seem to be a Russian flag from what I can see. I wonder why?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Wait, he was a dime store Santa?

I wonder if I make it big or become infamous for something, will they say "a former bagboy at Food Lion", even though I've been touching computers for 20 years.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 23, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Lol that drat smile. That HIMARS smile.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/EmineDzheppar/status/1682991081506390016?s=20

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'd buy that himars smilie if it was within the limits

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Karma Comedian posted:

I'd buy that himars smilie if it was within the limits

it's clearly upscaled so if one pixel was actually one pixel it might fit? I can take a look at it tomorrow, if you didn't already do that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Well looks like Kyiv is too heavily defended to have a civilian murder tantrum so time to murder civilians in Odessa in a tantrum

gently caress off Russia

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fatherboxx posted:

barbie of klaus variety

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Girken

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1683012095628001281

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Picture of Matsievskyi in the bottom right. :pressf: :ukraine:

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Just Another Lurker posted:

Picture of Matsievskyi in the bottom right. :pressf: :ukraine:

RIP to a real one

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

:barf:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The cathedral they hit was the Transfiguration Cathedral, founded in 1794.

РОССИЯ is truly the world's greatest defender of trad-Orthodox values.

e.: "Fun" detail - the original cathedral was demolished by the Soviets in 1936, rebuilt only in 1999. Man I can't put my finger on why the Eastern Euros keep being so hostile towards Russia...

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 23, 2023