Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Right now the rent seeking seems driven by the fact that there's an imbalance such that it's less risky and more profitable to own existing property and extract increasingly higher rents from it, than it is to develop and build new property.

It seems like the big solution is to seek a rebalance by which investment flows away from speculating on existing properties and into creating new ones.

The BC/Fed NDP have the right idea here in creating a fund to buy up old existing residential apartments before they can be bought up by REITs or developers, but that's just a basic band aid. There needs to be much more of a ground up systemic approach to the regulatory and tax code to shift behaviour somehow.

I'd venture an extremely handwavey idea that the government needs to somehow make it insanely profitable, viable and easy for everyone, non-profits, coops, individual owners, and market developers, to create new buildings. The first thing that comes to mind, leaning on the fact that it's what was done in the 1960s to achieve the same aim, is to cut regulations and taxes associated with creating housing across the board.

Hand in hand with this though I think we need to find a better way to capture the wealth created by all this on the backend. Considering the fact that we have residential developers in BC having made so much insane amounts of money that they built their own literal art museums for themselves. We could probably tax a bit more.

Maybe it's something that BC could do all by itself in simply raising BC income taxes at the very high end, or maybe there's much more elaborate sorts of taxation that is required here to not induce second order effects.

A problem here is that this is a multi-jurisdictional problem. We'd be asking/forcing municipalities to cut taxes and fees in order to incentivize development, but maybe not having an ability to recoup those costs for them without perhaps the federal government making tax changes to raise more revenue. Without everyone organized and on the same page with the same plan it becomes challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Land tax.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Tax appreciation as income every year. "Realized gains" or whatever. Right now we are storing money (i.e. productivity) in buildings that do nothing but house a single family. Tax those 'gains' and spend it on building more buildings, reducing the 'gains' and the taxes. It is a self sustaining feedback loop where if things heat up, the tax and build mechanism cools them down, and the money goes to something productive like paying wages and buying materials.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

eXXon posted:

everything else that's exceptional about life in the USA

It's already been the case for a couple of years that mediocre insurance in the U.S. combined with an expensive chronic medical condition is significantly less of a cost than the fact that Canadian housing is easily twice as expensive for no reason. Especially when you factor in the higher salaries down there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tagesschau posted:

It's already been the case for a couple of years that mediocre insurance in the U.S. combined with an expensive chronic medical condition is significantly less of a cost than the fact that Canadian housing is easily twice as expensive for no reason. Especially when you factor in the higher salaries down there.

Many of the places blah_blah listed have exceptionally high housing costs too, as do most of the cities I'd actually (hypothetically) want to live in in the US. If you want to argue about median rents across the country or the desirability of random Texan/Midwest towns vs Prairies/Maritimes or whatever else, be my guest but it's not really my interest.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

Came across this screenshot from an unknown Reddit place when looking for something else on my phone.

I remember that post, it was a first time home owner from the UK. They were being serious and had no idea how mortgages worked other than “it’s like rent but you own your house at the end”. They were shocked to discover that you still have to pay back the original loan even if the house depreciates. Someone used the example of a car loan which seemed easier for them to understand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baronjutter posted:

Cheap floorspace is like one of the best things for any economy. Cheap housing, cheap office, cheap retail, cheap industrial space. But we've, as a policy, decided that actually very very high rents and land values are a good thing. You get this sort of Dutch Disease situation where the RE sector booms but at the direct expense of every other loving sector. It's an absolute parasitic economic sector that should not ever be seen as a good thing when it's booming.

It's pretty much this, which is utterly opposed to the neoliberalism that is the overriding ideology of every western country, propping up the landowning classes to utterly unsustainable degrees. No one with any power actually understands how a society works.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

eXXon posted:

Many of the places blah_blah listed have exceptionally high housing costs too, as do most of the cities I'd actually (hypothetically) want to live in in the US. If you want to argue about median rents across the country or the desirability of random Texan/Midwest towns vs Prairies/Maritimes or whatever else, be my guest but it's not really my interest.

Yeah, it's definitely not a randomly chosen set of cities, and a couple are even more expensive than Vancouver. Mostly the sentiment that I was trying to express (entitled as it is) is how remarkably little spending a ton of money on real estate seems to gets you in Vancouver. It doesn't get you access to exceptional jobs, culture, people, schools, or weather -- but those are precisely what drive the prices in similarly expensive US markets. Better transit isn't worth anything to buyers of expensive SFH, and you have the same access to Whistler living on the west side as someone living in the Tri-Cities despite housing prices varying by a factor of 2-3x. It just seems to be a place where for idiosyncratic reasons, demand is so excessive and confined to a specific market that it can permanently result in prices vastly above what one would expect from fundamentals.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not a randomly chosen set of cities, and a couple are even more expensive than Vancouver. Mostly the sentiment that I was trying to express (entitled as it is) is how remarkably little spending a ton of money on real estate seems to gets you in Vancouver. It doesn't get you access to exceptional jobs, culture, people, schools, or weather -- but those are precisely what drive the prices in similarly expensive US markets. Better transit isn't worth anything to buyers of expensive SFH, and you have the same access to Whistler living on the west side as someone living in the Tri-Cities despite housing prices varying by a factor of 2-3x. It just seems to be a place where for idiosyncratic reasons, demand is so excessive and confined to a specific market that it can permanently result in prices vastly above what one would expect from fundamentals.

It's more expensive because you don't have to live in America.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

large hands posted:

I see we're still on "Vancouver, greatest place on Earth" dialogue after a decade of this thread. There's way more desire among high-skill immigrants (Canadians, Indians) to move to the US than there is to Canada, and foreign demand hasn't been a credible driver of Canadian housing price increases for like a half decade at this point.

Also it's obvious that Vancouver is a major outlier based on fundamentals relative to every other Canadian city. No one talks about how ridiculous housing prices in Alberta or Montreal are.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

eXXon posted:

Many of the places blah_blah listed have exceptionally high housing costs too

Relative to income, Toronto and Vancouver are at least a third more expensive than all of them. Yes, even NYC and San Francisco.

eXXon posted:

as do most of the cities I'd actually (hypothetically) want to live in in the US. If you want to argue about median rents across the country or the desirability of random Texan/Midwest towns vs Prairies/Maritimes or whatever else, be my guest but it's not really my interest.

The specific city I was pricing things out for, if it were part of Canada, would be the fourth largest metro area. It's not like I'm talking about Lincoln, Nebraska, or something (not that there's anything wrong with Lincoln).

large hands posted:

No amount of handwaving around desirability will enable the incomes in Canada's largest cities to translate into the housing prices we're currently seeing.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

blah_blah posted:

I see we're still on "Vancouver, greatest place on Earth" dialogue after a decade of this thread. There's way more desire among high-skill immigrants (Canadians, Indians) to move to the US than there is to Canada, and foreign demand hasn't been a credible driver of Canadian housing price increases for like a half decade at this point.
That’s not what he said. And for what it’s worth as someone in tech, I know plenty of people who get paid 6.5 figures for whom the USA is a no go, especially since remote work is a more accepted thing. The healthcare, the guns politics, yeah pretending as if this isn’t a big deal for high earners and their families is just untrue.

That being said, there is nothing to justify the valuations here. It’s still a great place to live, but when a 1bdrm is 2.7k and house is 1.5m+, idk how long it can last.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Blah_blah's original point was that Vancouver is an "unpleasant place to live" compared to similar US cities because its amenities are mediocre or bad, and therefore they didn't understand why anyone would pay exorbitant prices to live there if they could go to Seattle/San Diego/wherever.

quote:

Restaurants are mediocre. Bars and breweries are worse. Grocery stores are terrible. Banks/brokerages are terrible. A ton of the little conveniences you have in the US are gone (delivery for anything, 1-day shipping, Venmo). Even $5M+ CAD houses on the west side aren't actually high-end in terms of design/comfort (who wants ADUs and a bunch of tiny bedrooms in a house that expensive?). Expensive neighborhoods and their schools are clearly worse than their counterparts in the US because you're surrounded here by families who either got rich through the real-estate bubble or through questionable means abroad, there's no professionals at the top of their fields (and their kids) here.

I'm from Victoria, have intermittently spent a lot of time in Vancouver up until the late 2010s, and lived in a couple of major US cities over the years. I think that with the exception of the US-only services, like 1-day shipping and Venmo and the quality of housing, none of this is true.

Also, having lived in the US and dealt with the system there, there are a few factors related to quality of life that you and others seem to be ignoring:

1. Even if you have good health insurance (which I did), dealing with any kind of actual medical situation is terrible. Having to figure out if a hospital or individual physician is in-network before heading to the ER; having to negotiate with insurers over the coverage of medications for chronic conditions; having to deal for hours on end with customer service reps over mistakes in bills; etc. These are all things that I personally experienced even when I didn't have to deal with any major medical crises, which is when the nightmare really begins.

2. Gun violence is an ever-present reality, even in comfortable, affluent cities. We had active shooter instructions at my workplace and had a false alarm that led to everyone being placed on lockdown at one point. Several of my friends and colleagues had at some point encountered a violent situation involving guns, whether a robbery or an altercation. Do you want your kids to grow up having to do active shooter drills monthly?

3. Most of the cities blah_blah listed are located in liberal states, but national politics is increasingly having real-world impacts on the quality of life of even comfortable, affluent people in those states. The Supreme Court is only going to continue to restrict access to all kinds of basic amenities for decades to come. A national abortion ban will be floated soon enough, and they've hinted that contraception will be up for debate soon as well.

The 5 years I spent living in a comfortable neighbourhood of a large US city were enough to make me want to move away and never live there again, despite opportunities to do so.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 23, 2023

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, my particular point is around Vancouver and not e.g. Toronto, which is both cheaper and better along specific dimensions that I previously mentioned (e.g. access to better jobs, schools, etc). I'm not saying that I like Toronto more as a city than Vancouver but it's much clearer to me why people are willing to pay lots of money to live there.

Most of the points you mention below are generic anti-living in the US points, and they generally don't agree with my decade of living in different HCOL/VHCOL cities in the US. In fact, it's precisely my original point -- that very expensive US cities/suburbs clearly buy you something -- better healthcare, better schools (in both cases, than anywhere in Canada), and safety that's more or less on par with Canadian cities -- whereas living in Vancouver does not obviously do the same. But obviously some of these things are a matter of taste and it's entirely reasonable that others here disagree, I'm glad to leave it at that.

qhat posted:

That’s not what he said. And for what it’s worth as someone in tech, I know plenty of people who get paid 6.5 figures for whom the USA is a no go, especially since remote work is a more accepted thing. The healthcare, the guns politics, yeah pretending as if this isn’t a big deal for high earners and their families is just untrue.

Sure, but the reverse direction is more interesting and more revealing. There are plenty of never-US people in Canada, but the US is the clear revealed preference as a destination for the highest-skill immigrants initially (that is, internet snark aside, many immigrants very much want to live in the US, and more than anywhere else), and those same people are now generally able to work remotely from a wide range of markets including Canada. I know literally no people at senior levels of tech (director+; 1M+ USD comp) who have gone remote in Vancouver, a handful of such people who have gone remote in Toronto, and a large number of people who have done so to HCOL but in traditionally non-tier one tech markets (think San Diego, Austin, Boulder, D.C., Miami, etc).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 23, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Also it's obvious that Vancouver is a major outlier based on fundamentals relative to every other Canadian city. No one talks about how ridiculous housing prices in Alberta or Montreal are.

The housing crisis in Montreal/Quebec is regular front page news even at 1/3 of Vancouver prices lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I live in Victoria and just don't get the attraction of Vancouver. Its economy and job market suck, but it has NYC or SF level rents. Unless your job is flipping condos or something, if you're going to pay those obscene housing costs maybe live somewhere with an actual economy. I've had plenty of friends who had to move to Toronto to really significantly advance their career, but anyone I know who left Victoria to Vancouver just enjoys way longer commutes and higher rents for the same dogshit pay you'd have enjoyed staying in Victoria, specially horrible if they're just working service jobs. Friends who have actually moved to the US for their career though are always really excited and love it at first but always end up coming back to Canada once the horrors of the US start to seep through their high-paid tech job bubbles. They'll often trade a 150k job in the bay area or Seattle for a 120k job back home because they just can't handle the brutality of the USA.

The dumbest move I ever saw was a friend who had a sweet low rent setup here in Victoria and a pretty good paying food service job move to Toronto for "more opportunities", but he ended up just working the exact same sort of service jobs but for less money and like 3x the rent he was paying. He also went from being able to walk to his job to generally 1.5 hour miserable transit trips. Of course by the time he came back to Victoria all our rents had gone up to nearly toronto levels.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

The housing crisis in Montreal/Quebec is regular front page news even at 1/3 of Vancouver prices lol

I suppose I should amend that to “no one not from Montreal/Quebec talks about how ridiculous housing prices are”, which is true and the intended meaning.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Like I said, it's time to move to Saguenay.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you had asked me 10 years ago do I want to live in the USA or Canada, I would’ve picked USA every day. Not because I’d min-maxed all differences in amenities and politics, but because ultimately it’s a cooler place to live when you’re younger with more opportunities overall. I didn’t end up going to the USA because frankly, the immigration system is nuts and it’s actually easier to get in by grinding out Canadian citizenship and hired through nafta.

Now that I’m a Canadian citizen though, my mindset is completely different. Unless it really was some place that gets me excited, like San Diego, and comp was in the millions, AND RTO was suddenly mandated for everyone; I would not consider moving there.

TLDR What I’m basically saying is that at face value, USA is the preferred choice for immigrants because of the perceived and actual opportunities. Many people make very different decisions once they are here and the golden handcuffs are removed. Knowing that I can get those opportunities outside the USA changes the equation for me anyway quite a bit, and I’d question whether I’d really be happier there given all the above.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I think in some ways I feel it should not be surprising that that immigrants would be significantly more interested in moving to the USA, the obvious more money, more opportunity place versus the more nuanced benefits of living in Canada. Choosing to leave the only home you've ever known and go way out there in order to better your life is in many ways really wild risky behaviour. For some people even more huge risk and effort than others. If you're going to go for it, why not go all in? Max risk, max reward.

Add onto this the fact that many of the nuanced reasons one could put forward for why Canada is a Great Place To Be are more subtle benefits oriented toward an older person with a family, and these sorts of reasons are likely to be irrelevant and ignored by a young single immigrant.

A point to take away here is that Canada's cost of living has now spiked so much, that maybe the reward of Canada is eroding and tilting the balance even more toward the USA.

blah_blah posted:

blah_blah posted:

Most of the points you mention below are generic anti-living in the US points, and they generally don't agree with my decade of living in different HCOL/VHCOL cities in the US. In fact, it's precisely my original point -- that very expensive US cities/suburbs clearly buy you something -- better healthcare, better schools (in both cases, than anywhere in Canada), and safety that's more or less on par with Canadian cities -- whereas living in Vancouver does not obviously do the same. But obviously some of these things are a matter of taste and it's entirely reasonable that others here disagree, I'm glad to leave it at that.

I think these points I've bolded here are really interesting, the notion that the qualities of various Vancouver neighbourhoods and cities are more even than prices would seem. From a crass, "what am I getting for my money," POV doesn't seem terribly obvious.

I know from stories from folks I know in the USA it can be a lot more explicit, deriving from the way that local property taxes flow into schools and such. I recall a friend working in the Washington DC area saying she badly needed to move out of Bethesda or something or other, because the property taxes were absolutely loving crazy high and just one county over they sunk like a stone. Presumably there's an amenity gap here.

Arguably that exists in Vancouver too but less expressed. West side Vancouver would give one close access to the St George private school (that Justin Trudeau used to teach at) but the public schools in the west side aren't likely terribly better in quality than the best public schools of other relatively rich areas around the region.

I've felt for a long while that the price gap between West and East in Vancouver is puzzling, especially when one considers that for the last few decades the wealth of energy has been pouring into EastVan, resulting in Mount Pleasant becoming a buzzy hotspot of cool retail and restaurants, while Dunbar has languished and become a dead zone. Savvy speculators and home buyers that bought cute heritage homes in Mount Pleasant for a relatively low price, have seen those prices explode upward.

The price gap is so obvious and weird that I think in a major way it has fueled the meme of foreign buyers in Vancouver, as "foreign buyers" has become the dark matter used to explain the unexplainable in any Vancouver housing equation.

May well be some truth to this in that there's a good argument to be made that the general price dynamics of the region are driven by things Canadians want to pretend don't exist: class and race.

At one point the West Side would have been in demand because East Van was full of non-white immigrants and if you lived in the West Side there was a guarantee that your kids would be with other rich white kids that spoke english well.

Rich newcomers from mainland China that have been so actively interested in the area are likely chasing the previous built up prestige of the West Side.

Speaking with my realtor friend he noted with some puzzlement about the relative values of East Van new builds versus stuff out in Tswwassen and Langley that you'd think would be priced on more of a discount given distance. Here too I think there is an under discussed racial dimension at play as the region divides along racial lines.

Ultimately point is that the home buyer that doesn't care about some of these things that drive the market they are able to scoop up a property on discount, though they may also not see the sort of appreciation they expect.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

qhat posted:

If you had asked me 10 years ago do I want to live in the USA or Canada, I would’ve picked USA every day. Not because I’d min-maxed all differences in amenities and politics, but because ultimately it’s a cooler place to live when you’re younger with more opportunities overall. I didn’t end up going to the USA because frankly, the immigration system is nuts and it’s actually easier to get in by grinding out Canadian citizenship and hired through nafta.

Now that I’m a Canadian citizen though, my mindset is completely different. Unless it really was some place that gets me excited, like San Diego, and comp was in the millions, AND RTO was suddenly mandated for everyone; I would not consider moving there.

TLDR What I’m basically saying is that at face value, USA is the preferred choice for immigrants because of the perceived and actual opportunities. Many people make very different decisions once they are here and the golden handcuffs are removed. Knowing that I can get those opportunities outside the USA changes the equation for me anyway quite a bit, and I’d question whether I’d really be happier there given all the above.

I want to stay in Canada mainly due to my support network being in Canada at this point

the income:CoL ratio at the moment mean living in the GTA is losing proposition economically

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Yeah, even though my opinions differ a bit from qhat's above he's 100% correct that US immigration is a meatgrinder and very difficult and time-consuming to navigate. It does select for people who are more risk-seeking and probably more temperamentally aligned with the winner-take-all aspects of American life. But I have been actually surprised at how few of the many Canadian US-resident friends in my social group have availed themselves of post-COVID options around remote work to do their current job remotely in Canada (usually for like a 20% pre-tax, post-currency paycut). The ones who have, have all ended up in Toronto.

Femtosecond posted:

Arguably that exists in Vancouver too but less expressed. West side Vancouver would give one close access to the St George private school (that Justin Trudeau used to teach at) but the public schools in the west side aren't likely terribly better in quality than the best public schools of other relatively rich areas around the region.

I think one of the key things to understand (and one of the reasons some people dislike life in the US) is how aggressive sorting is. Not in a Europe-style class-based sense but just simply on wealth and professional status. US salaries are higher than Canadian ones even at the median, but in the upper end the differences are really large. You don't become wealthy by riding the property ladder, you become wealthy by having a career that pays a lot. Even in places in the US where there have been enormous run-ups in prices, they've generally been driven by high-skill industries that sprung up in those areas. Like, buying a house in Palo Alto 50 years ago was certainly winning the lottery, but they were also mostly Stanford grads or early Silicon Valley employees.

So what you see in the US is that expensive cities and suburbs are overwhelmingly populated by highly-educated professionals, who both demand high-quality schools and contribute to them by having high-achieving kids. In Vancouver, it's much more of an accident of place and time. On average homeowners on the west side might have slightly higher-paying jobs than homeowners on the east side (if they have jobs at all), but if you trace back their wealth direct employment income is typically going to be a relatively small portion in both cases.

Femtosecond posted:

Rich newcomers from mainland China that have been so actively interested in the area are likely chasing the previous built up prestige of the West Side.

I could write pages on the differences between Chinese immigrants in expensive neighborhoods in the US and Canada, but yeah, the selection effects are enormous. In the US most wealthy Chinese residents of expensive areas are first/second-generation immigrants who entered the US as grad students and the like, they represent the intellectual cream of the crop of a 1 billion person country and they have extraordinarily high expectations of their kids both academically and career-wise (third-generation is a much more mixed bag). Their kids also assimilate really well.

The rich mainlanders that you mention above are typically a lot less smart and a lot more likely to be astronaut families (so lacking in parental stability for the kids), they don't assimilate, and they are in a lot of cases a negative contributor to school quality. Because US immigration is much more selective than Canadian immigration, they don't typically get many students of this type at the secondary level or below(regardless of nationality) -- they are more likely to come in to the US at the college/university level.

(In fact the interesting dynamic that's been taking place for the past decade or so in rich suburbs of the US is that Chinese/Indian first and second gen students are actually too strong academically and outcompete most high-achieving white kids, which is driving a lot of flight from non-Asian affluent families towards private schools. This is a big part of the general affirmative action debate there because many people don't want elite spaces becoming too Asian and are applying various forms of implicit and explicit discrimination -- even relative to whites -- to prevent that)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lots of rumours around a cabinet shuffle. Surely the Housing Minister has got to go right?

Especially after this awful op-ed.

quote:

Ahmed Hussen: Don't blame municipal leaders for the housing crisis
Politicians must work together to solve this pressing problem

For hundreds of thousands of Canadians across the country, the most important issue right now is housing. For students who rent, families who own, and young couples looking to buy their first home, the lack of housing supply is not a political issue, it is a deeply personal issue, and one that requires leaders to work together for the best interest of the people we are elected to serve.

That is why it was so disappointing to read Pierre Poilievre’s simplistic and politicized solution to this pressing problem — one that he wrongly lays at the feet of municipal leaders.

Now is not the time to blame mayors. Now is not the time to pick fights for political gain. And yet, instead of putting aside partisan politics, Poilievre is pointing blame at the very municipal leaders who are working hard to help people in their communities. He is proposing cuts to services and investments that Canadians rely on. If he had his way, he would slash funding for infrastructure Canadians need, like roads, hospitals, community centres and public transit unless mayors cave in to his demands. That is political theatre, not leadership.

We see it differently. We trust the mayors of Canada’s communities to do the right thing. We want to give them incentives to build the housing their communities need. We know that cities and towns are feeling the pinch of funding shortfalls — and threatening them with even less funding is not going to build more housing: it just means more people will struggle to put a roof over their heads. Poilievre’s ideas are not just simplistic and unworkable, worse still, they are counterproductive.

We have worked hard to find a way to balance getting results with accountability.

Here is what we are doing: Just like our deals on health care and childcare, we expect our municipal partners to deliver. We created the Housing Accelerator Fund to help local governments cut red tape and get rid of rules that discourage building new homes, in exchange for money to build more homes that are affordable, close to public transit, and energy efficient. Instead of taking away critical infrastructure dollars from municipalities, we are giving them good reasons to use taxpayer dollars most effectively.

The fund will be deployed this summer and is designed to encourage new affordable and mixed housing supply, accelerate projects that are already underway, encourage more density around community amenities, put more resources behind permit approval, and make better use of government-owned land. The way we see it, the more creative and ambitious a plan, the better.

Here is one example: Back in May, alongside the city of Hamilton, Ont., we announced an investment to build nearly 500 new housing units that will be affordable, accessible and energy efficient. A number of these units will be below market rent for women and their children. We did this because we know that different orders of government can work together to build quality, sustainable homes for diverse and multi-generational households. Our plan with the City of Hamilton will revitalize the city’s east end and create much-needed affordable housing options for families.

Results like these are why the Housing Accelerator Fund was a major focus of our 2021 election campaign platform. But while we were proposing real solutions, Poilievre’s Conservative Party had just one so-called solution to housing: to give tax breaks to wealthy landlords to sell their buildings for affordable housing.

When it was clear that our idea was the better one, Poilievre and his caucus took credit for it. At the very same time, he and his party also disparaged the Housing Accelerator Fund in the House of Commons and voted against it. It is all very confusing.

It is not the only time Poilievre, or his party, has said one thing and done another. Take for example the Conservative MP from Calgary-Centre, Greg McLean. Recently, McLean took to social media to express his belief that Calgary city council should not approve more housing density in his urban Calgary riding, even going so far as to express frustration with fellow colleagues who do — while at the same time clamouring for affordability. None of that makes any sense.

To build more homes we need to build more density. Period. And the Housing Accelerator Fund will reward the municipalities that do. That is why I have been meeting with mayors and local leaders across the country to talk about the fund and work together towards our shared goal of fast-tracking the creation of at least 100,000 housing units.

For the more than 20 years that Poilievre has been a career politician, he has shown that we just cannot take him seriously when it comes to housing policy.

As a minister under prime minister Stephen Harper, Poilievre did not believe the federal government had a role to play on housing whatsoever. He had nearly 10 years to act, but he did not.

After nearly a decade of inaction under the Harper-Poilievre government, we brought the federal government back to the table by launching Canada’s first-ever National Housing Strategy. Since then, our housing investments have helped more than two million households get the housing they need. We are putting Canada on track to double housing construction over the next decade. And we are just getting started.

While Poilievre is focused on cuts, threats and rhetoric, we are focused on just one thing: building the homes that Canadians need and deserve.

Everything else is just politics.

Nah I'm pretty sure Mayors are a big problem here and I'm pretty sure everything the Feds have done has been completely ineffectual.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny for a federal minister to say that while the BC Government is talking about the many failures of the various municipal governments.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
all three levels of government when it comes to canadian housing policy:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

Lots of rumours around a cabinet shuffle. Surely the Housing Minister has got to go right?

He's probably done:

quote:

Several ministerial announcements that had been scheduled for early this week have been cancelled. They include events originally set for Monday with Petitpas Taylor in Montreal, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra in Vancouver and Housing Minister Ahmed Hussen in St. John's.

Hope it was worth it!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The talk of Vancouver not really being worth it is pretty funny to me living in Victoria, because I feel like Victoria has the same problem maybe even to a larger degree. Personally I love it here, but realistically it is a pretty podunk town even on an objective level, and certainly relative to the cost of living. I find it very funny the people that talk about how housing is inexorably expensive here because Everyone Wants to Live Here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’d kill to live in Vancouver if it was in any way affordable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vintersorg posted:

I’d kill to live in Vancouver if it was in any way affordable.

Do you have any family members you're in line for inheritance from? Cause yeah that's basically the only way these days. Gotta get that intergenerational wealth.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Finally managed to google up some numbers on how many Canadians are mortgage free homeowners, and it's way more than I expected. Over 30% of Canadian (boomer) households in 2016 have a fully paid primary home. That's a lot of people who don't care much about interest rates, but do have very strong opinions about ~neighborhood character~.

https://showmethegreen.ca/home/mortgages/what-percentage-of-canadian-homeowners-are-mortgage-free/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/retirement/article-retirement-pay-off-mortgage/
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/75-006-x/2019001/article/00012-eng.htm

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
How many of those Canadians have second or third (or fourth) properties that are mortgaged to the tits I wonder

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tangy Zizzle posted:

How many of those Canadians have second or third (or fourth) properties that are mortgaged to the tits I wonder

This has been discussed before but I can’t be arsed to find it. IIRC the number of multiple homeowners is actually very low.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What matters is total outstanding mortgage debt vs the total equity in the market. 30% paid off doesn’t mean anything and is also btw not even remotely close to enough to be robust against a severe drop in the market.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Counterpoint: those with fully-paid-off houses are probably, or at least should be, less prickish about housing than the highly leveraged.

I, entirely through luck, am one of the folks who owns without debt. I know I got here through luck, and that's why I look at people dealing with the current state of the rental market as "there but for the grace of God go I". What I want is a functional society, and if the imagined value of my home has to down to make that happen, why should I care? We cannot have the functional society I wish for as long as housing is this precarious at all levels. Now, if I was faced with the possibility of going underwater on a mortgage or facing an interest rate increase I absolutely couldn't afford, I might feel very different.

But what I can't understand is people with a paid-off dwelling giving a single gently caress. We've won the game regardless; this is the most housing security you can ever have, you are the least exposed to any sort of change in the market or the economy.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's because the people who paid off their housing are simultaneously the ones betting on their house being their retirement nest egg. They are hoping to either sell it to live [I don't know where] or reverse mortgage it or something.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So despite living East Vancouver, this showed up in my mailbox today:

This is going to go nowhere I bet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

qhat posted:

It's because the people who paid off their housing are simultaneously the ones betting on their house being their retirement nest egg. They are hoping to either sell it to live [I don't know where] or reverse mortgage it or something.

Oh, well.... they shouldn't have done that.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

leftist heap posted:

This has been discussed before but I can’t be arsed to find it. IIRC the number of multiple homeowners is actually very low.

I think it was around 30% of boomers have more than one property

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Actual change might actually be somewhat approaching maybe happening

quote:

Vancouver about to eliminate its single-family residential zoning rules

Vancouver housing could become radically more dense if the city allows up to six homes per lot for the half of its land traditionally reserved for single-detached dwellings, as council votes this week on whether to send the change to public hearing.

One part of the proposed zoning policy likely to be attractive to homeowners and builders is that these new forms of housing would be allowed more buildable square feet than a single-family house.

Any new single-family house that is built would only be allowed to go to the equivalent of 60 per cent of the lot’s area, so only 2,400 square feet on the typical 33 by 122 Vancouver lot. But a multiplex, of whatever arrangement, will be permitted to go up to 4,026 square feet on that same lot. Until now, the maximum anyone could build, if they were preserving a character house and adding a laneway or basement suite, was 3,260 square feet.

As a result, larger laneway houses would also be allowed, which would make them more suitable for family housing than the 650 square feet to 900 square feet currently allowed, depending on lot size.

“This is a very bold move. We don’t want to be timid about this,” said Theresa O’Donnell, Vancouver’s head planner, of the proposal. “This is rezoning the 52 per cent of the city that’s effectively been off the table for years.”

Many cities in Canada and the U.S. are moving toward allowing what’s being called missing-middle housing in former single-family zones – including laneway houses in Los Angeles and Toronto, duplexes in Edmonton, fourplexes anywhere in Washington, and sixplexes in Portland and Victoria under certain conditions – but Vancouver’s policy would be the most permissive.

If city council approves the proposal on Tuesday, it will go to public hearing in the fall and potentially be in force by January.

The initiative is being accompanied by several other changes intended to simplify the process of getting permits.

Among them are the special “design zones” on the west side that were created in the 1990s, as councils of the day responded to residents complaining about garish new monster houses, are being eliminated so that there is just one set of rules for all former single-family zones.

No longer will builders in zones such as RS-5 or RS-6 have to come up with building plans that, for example, required them to match the architectural look of homes on either side of them.

Ms. O’Donnell cautioned that the move isn’t meant to solve all of Vancouver’s housing problems. But it will add some level of affordability to neighbourhoods that are now dominated by single-detached houses that are selling for $2-million and up.

The city’s projections indicate that a single-detached-house property that sells for $2.8-million now could become home to four smaller homes that sell for $1.1-million apiece – still not cheap, but less than the single house.

There’s been little response to the proposal so far from resident groups, many of which are preoccupied with plans tower developments in their neighbourhoods, such as the Squamish Senakw project in Kitsilano, Jericho Lands in West Point Grey and the Commercial/Broadway proposal for towers at the SkyTrain station.

City surveys in the past have shown that a strong majority of people in Vancouver favour allowing multiple-unit buildings into low-density areas and increasing the size of laneways.

Some housing advocates have criticized the new policy as being unlikely to get a lot of take-up because it will be much more challenging for average homeowners to finance a fourplex or sixplex, compared with a laneway house.

They also say the city’s option to give the builder a density bonus if one of the units is permanently rented at below-market rates seems unworkable.

“Nobody will do this. Nobody,” wrote Peter Waldkirch, a local advocate with Abundant Housing Vancouver, on Twitter.

But small-project builders are enthusiastic about the changes.

“This is a good step forward. We’re finally moving past exclusionary single-family zoning,” said Bryn Davidson, whose company Lanefab specializes in passive houses, restorations, laneway houses, duplexes and multiplexes. “I hope these will be the replacement for the one-to-one teardowns” of single-family homes that are then replaced with larger houses.

He would have liked to see the city allow for even more density, potentially as much as 4,800 square feet on a typical Vancouver lot. But he appreciates the extra density city planners have proposed, saying it’s the first major bump since laneway houses were introduced in 2009.

Mr. Davidson said he’s already getting inquiries about building under the new zoning and said there will likely be many variations as people figure out what is livable and what will sell.

Builders will likely opt for triplexes, which would be more family-suited at about 1,350 square feet apiece, or two larger units and two smaller ones.

Harv Ghangas, a builder and realtor, said he thinks there will be big take-up, as there has been with duplexes ever since the city started allowing them in 2019.

“It’s a highly desirable product and it’s one that keeps people in the city,” said Mr. Ghangas, whose family is currently building two duplex projects. He’s seen two-income couples opt for a smaller place, such as a duplex, in Vancouver, rather than moving to Langley or Maple Ridge in order to avoid long commutes.

“This will bring a lot of inventory on board.”

At the end of the day, new build stuff is still $1000+/sqft so you really can't expect ~affordable~ housing out of any of this. That being said if they can seriously keep it down near $1000/sqft, well as the article states, it's a lot cheaper than buying a $2M+ house anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

qhat posted:

I actually don't think this is correct. Based on my knowledge of lots of boomer family and family friends in Vancouver and Victoria, few people who own their homes debt-free and are retired or are planning to retire soon have any intent to sell, because they know it's impossible to buy anywhere nearby and want to be near friends and family where they already live. They also aren't going to reverse mortgage their house, because they don't want to saddle their children with debt when they die.

The main reason they're opposed to development is because they fear that just when they want to live a quiet life their neighborhood will suddenly become a busy corner of the city, with whatever negatives that might entail. I don't think that's a valid concern, but it is IME the main reason they push back against development plans.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 25, 2023