Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I feel like more people need to see my car

Hell, I've seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
and let me tell you, it's a good thing 2 see

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Italian posteriors by Pininfarina and Giugiaro (mine on the left):

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought this a month ago, been enjoying it a lot:

The 4 door sedan look has actually really grown on me. Now I think it looks better than the two doors.

Yesterday I found the perfect car to park next to. I was happening to be sitting in the car as the owner came to it, I had expected an old man or a teenager to be the driver. But it was an angry looking 60ish looking women who just got in and left.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know why but I love old Saabs and old Volvos so much.

Make Cars Boxy Again :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
OK OK, one more!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Probably the last time I’ll post this since it just got submitted to C&B this weekend. Will be going up on the site in the next week or so I’d assume.

It’s been awesome owning it and bringing it back to 100%, but I literally can’t stop thinking about modifying it and it would be a travesty to take this car away from bone stock condition.

In addition, I’ve got to trim the fleet down by 2-3 cars in order to be able to buy anything else - we are overflowing at this point - so this, the EP3, and maybe something else are going to have to find new homes.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 23, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nice cars! My dad ordered a '83 Swedish blue Volvo 240 DL and his brother ordered a '83 white Saab 900 Turbo that same year which I learned to drive stick in, and my dad also later bought that Saab from him when he moved to an AWD Eclipse Turbo. That Saab was so much fun in 2nd and 3rd gears...

I could have taken pretty close to this photo at some point in about 1991, but alas the 10 pictures a year that anyone took back then never managed to include that scene. A+

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Car sold, got exactly what I expected at auction. The guy who bought it was in his early 20s and then I remembered that I bought my first MR2 when I was 20 and then like a year later I was running a turbo swap in the same car.

Looking at facelift GT86's and I see a 2018 car with 9000 miles for a decent price. Called them and apparently it's the owner of the dealership's old car which is the person I spoke to on the phone. Said he's had a few of them over the last few years and before that apparently he was an MR2 owner, I then mentioned to him I've just sold one of those! Going to run a check on it first to make sure it's all as it should be and I'm gonna take a look at it on Saturday.

There are some other cars I could be interested in but this one's an hour or so away.

Quick question for any 86/BRZ people, is the Brembo package offered on the clubsport cars here worth it? There are a couple of the clubsport cars for sale but costing a fair bit more. I'm going to be using the car on track and there is a pretty well regarded AP Racing kit that a lot of people use here anyway that would still work out cheaper. I was gonna ask this question on the FT86 forums but I'm not allowed to post still for some dumbass reason.

Also I dunno if it's a great idea to start throwing a bunch of parts on a relatively limited edition car rather than just going for the more common model.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Quick question for any 86/BRZ people, is the Brembo package offered on the clubsport cars here worth it? There are a couple of the clubsport cars for sale but costing a fair bit more. I'm going to be using the car on track and there is a pretty well regarded AP Racing kit that a lot of people use here anyway that would still work out cheaper. I was gonna ask this question on the FT86 forums but I'm not allowed to post still for some dumbass reason.

Yes, the Brembo pack is worth it since you'll be tracking it. In the US they're known as PP (Performance Package) Brembos.

If you don't want to buy the whole-rear end Clubsport car you can more or less do what I did when I dropped from Stoptech 355 / 345 BBKs to the factory Brembo kit.

08-17 STI rear caliper is the same exact thing as the PP rear Brembo and bolts right on with zero changes/adapters/etc, this opens up stupid cheap used or reman'd calipers since everyone thinks the PP ones are worth their weight in gold. You can use a Centric PP rear rotor for cheap.

The STI front caliper bolts right on, but the piston sizes are wrong so you really have to buy a new or used set of PP front Brembos. Front bridge piece that some people call a bracket (it isn't a bracket) that comes on the PP isn't needed and can be omitted while using the shorter STI front bolts. Centric PP front rotor bolts right on.

I did my entire PP setup for sub-$2k USD with pads.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 24, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

evobatman posted:

OK OK, one more!

I love this.

UKDM Hondas of that era are almost uncanny valley looking to me - you can see the resemblance to the Japanese and American designed models we get here, but all the details are different. Even the H badge is unique.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, the Brembo pack is worth it since you'll be tracking it. In the US they're known as PP (Performance Package) Brembos.

If you don't want to buy the whole-rear end Clubsport car you can more or less do what I did when I dropped from Stoptech 355 / 345 BBKs to the factory Brembo kit.

08-17 STI rear caliper is the same exact thing as the PP rear Brembo and bolts right on with zero changes/adapters/etc, this opens up stupid cheap used or reman'd calipers since everyone thinks the PP ones are worth their weight in gold. You can use a Centric PP rear rotor for cheap.

The STI front caliper bolts right on, but the piston sizes are wrong so you really have to buy a new or used set of PP front Brembos. Front bridge piece that some people call a bracket (it isn't a bracket) that comes on the PP isn't needed and can be omitted while using the shorter STI front bolts. Centric PP front rotor bolts right on.

I did my entire PP setup for sub-$2k USD with pads.

Can I get by with track pads (EBC Blue, for example) on the non-PP brakes for the occasional track day?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Full Collapse posted:

Can I get by with track pads (EBC Blue, for example) on the non-PP brakes for the occasional track day?

Most people will say avoid EBC pads, but yeah, for occasional days or normal usage you're fine. If you start doing 2-4 trackdays a month and get to a point where you're vaporizing a set of pads in 5-6 days is where BBK pulls ahead very, very quickly via consumable cost.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna say if the standard calipers will hold up with something like carbotech xp8’s and decent fluid.

As I wanna try and do a day with the car as close as stock first.

Although I might try a different brake supplier because even though they perform fine on the road from cold the massive ‘SQUEEEEEEEEEEE’ noise they make just driving normally is annoying.

Do you have like a parts list for the PP bits? I’ll have to see how much it compares to the AP Racing kit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Yeah I was gonna say if the standard calipers will hold up with something like carbotech xp8’s and decent fluid.

As I wanna try and do a day with the car as close as stock first.

Although I might try a different brake supplier because even though they perform fine on the road from cold the massive ‘SQUEEEEEEEEEEE’ noise they make just driving normally is annoying.

Do you have like a parts list for the PP bits? I’ll have to see how much it compares to the AP Racing kit.

Someone put together this beautiful thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144662

My parts list was more like:
2x Used BRZ PP Front Brembo Calipers
2x Centric Front Blank Rotors 121.47019
4x Front Caliper Bolts PN 901120103

2x Rockauto remanufactured 2017 WRX STI Rear Calipers
2x Centric Rear Blank Rotors 121.47043
4x Rear Caliper Bolts PN 901000326

Plus pads. I guess some trimming of heat shields is required for people retaining those

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Most people will say avoid EBC pads

My Greens are working fine for commuting. :confused:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone put together this beautiful thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144662

My parts list was more like:
2x Used BRZ PP Front Brembo Calipers
2x Centric Front Blank Rotors 121.47019
4x Front Caliper Bolts PN 901120103

2x Rockauto remanufactured 2017 WRX STI Rear Calipers
2x Centric Rear Blank Rotors 121.47043
4x Rear Caliper Bolts PN 901000326

Plus pads. I guess some trimming of heat shields is required for people retaining those

Looks like I can order the reman calipers from rockauto too as they appear to ship international. Front ones are $600 a piece, although maybe I could try calling a subaru dealership to see if they’d sell them.

Only issue is the discs, which only the DBA are sold in here. Funnily enough it looks like Eurocarparts sell the the front discs, but only have the std ones for the rears.

Edit: Hmm ebc also sell them, so it could be an option

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 24, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Looks like I can order the reman calipers from rockauto too as they appear to ship international. Front ones are $600 a piece, although maybe I could try calling a subaru dealership to see if they’d sell them.

Only issue is the discs, which only the DBA are sold in here. Funnily enough it looks like Eurocarparts sell the the front discs, but only have the std ones for the rears.

Edit: Hmm ebc also sell them, so it could be an option

The rear rotors are the same as the STI, if you can find a dual drilled 5x100 / 5x114 set cheaper. Maybe the DBA you mentioned are like that :)

Only thing to keep in mind is that that if you buy new from Subaru it doesn't include the two pins or the pad bridge thingy (iirc). Also, check the associated Toyota part numbers since they might be cheaper than Subaru

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

The rear rotors are the same as the STI, if you can find a dual drilled 5x100 / 5x114 set cheaper. Maybe the DBA you mentioned are like that :)

Only thing to keep in mind is that that if you buy new from Subaru it doesn't include the two pins or the pad bridge thingy (iirc). Also, check the associated Toyota part numbers since they might be cheaper than Subaru

Stupid question but do these look like the right ones, I just saw them pop up on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12602064...ABk9SR_zckNqxYg

I'd be definitely refurbishing them as they don't look that well looked after but at that price for the whole set might be worth it.

Edit: Never mind the seller said they come from an Sti

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 25, 2023

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Just purchased a 2008 MX-5! Love it so far, it's my second Miata.

Unfortunately I have to park it on the street, sometimes under a tree so its going to get dirty. Are there any recommendations, aside from using something like ONR wash, to protect the paint as much as possible given my circumstances? Wax tips, etc.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Just purchased a 2008 MX-5! Love it so far, it's my second Miata.

Unfortunately I have to park it on the street, sometimes under a tree so its going to get dirty. Are there any recommendations, aside from using something like ONR wash, to protect the paint as much as possible given my circumstances? Wax tips, etc.

I don't know about washing it, but you should def get some headers and a tune on it if you haven't already. Made a big difference on my m8s nc

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've found ceramic has made it much easier to keep my black car that I park outside looking nice. That said, I manage to keep it mostly out from under trees so YMMV.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Put a deposit down. 2018, under 9000 miles just been serviced with toyota and mot’ed last month. Apparently still under warranty lol, lets see how long that lasts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's the first I've seen with the refreshed bumper. I thought it was a euro thing until I googled it, lol.

Nice car and congrats. Will you take it to a track day (bro)?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the facelift cars have some slightly different cosmetics, they are also pretty rare here. I don’t think I’ve seen one on the road, but I do see the odd pre-facelift car.

I need to sort wheels, tyres, brakes and maybe an oil cooler first but yea I will be tracking it. I’ve just got to work out a time to pick it up now, hopefully I can book a day off work this week as I don’t wanna wait till next weekend!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
hell yeah :)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

hell yeah :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

One of us.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
you gonna do something about that front plate

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Lol yea, one of the first things I’m gonna do is get square plates as I miss em from the mr2 which had jdm sized ones. I hate the way the rear plates look too.

If I was like 10 years younger I’d go back to shoving the front plate in the front window. But looking it up perrin apparently make a mount that screws into the tow hook location.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Oversized American Excess - the car.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

davecrazy posted:

Wow that is BIG. Also that centre console thing between the second row looks like a huge waste of space, though I guess you have enough of it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Should’ve called it the Grand Wagonero

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

davecrazy posted:

https://youtu.be/KhGyFkMirUg

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Its wild that even with absolutely giant wheels (22"?) the Wagoneer manages to look ungainly and top heavy. Like it might just topple over one way on another for any reason, probably onto a smaller and therefore lesser car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do they still make a 9 seater Suburban? That’s what I’d get for ultimate people moving short of a 15 passenger van. Bench seat supremacy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Its wild that even with absolutely giant wheels (22"?) the Wagoneer manages to look ungainly and top heavy. Like it might just topple over one way on another for any reason, probably onto a smaller and therefore lesser car.

It doesn't matter how right certain proportions may or may not be; when you're parked in front of a garage because you can't park inside of it you're just going to look big.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

Yeah the facelift cars have some slightly different cosmetics, they are also pretty rare here. I don’t think I’ve seen one on the road, but I do see the odd pre-facelift car.

I need to sort wheels, tyres, brakes and maybe an oil cooler first but yea I will be tracking it. I’ve just got to work out a time to pick it up now, hopefully I can book a day off work this week as I don’t wanna wait till next weekend!

pls don't bin it, it looks too nice

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

Do they still make a 9 seater Suburban? That’s what I’d get for ultimate people moving short of a 15 passenger van. Bench seat supremacy.

Yes they do but only in poverty spec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mustache Ride posted:

Yes they do but only in poverty spec

I figured it'd probably be that way. Sucks.

I really want a Defender 90 with the bench seat even though it's not a very good bench (IIRC it's 40/20/40 and you can't tilt the bench part so in my driving position it's not aligned with the drivers seat)

e: lmao

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2023