Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The extra daylight means my kid goes to bed super late, wakes up early, and wants to be outside all day despite the brutal heat. I need summer to be over already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Koivunen posted:

My son is 2y 2m and hasn’t had a hair cut yet, he’s got these little baby curls that I know will never come back once I cut them, so he’s got a hockey style for the meanwhile. I’ve started pulling the top into a ponytail and it’s so cute. He’s going to have long hair because he looks so sweet with this shaggy thing, it’s going to be that much sweeter when it’s long.

Baby curls! Baby Curls! BABY CURLS!

Our son turns 3 next month and his baby curls persist through a lions mane of hair he got from his mama. It's so cute. The extended family are asking, when will we cut it, and after the nth ask you just ignore the question you've answered already.

The 9 month old has baby curls going skyward and he too will be a Conan boy.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My wife did some scissor cuts when our 2.75 year old son was younger, it was a big ordeal keeping him occupied the whole time, but now I just take clippers on the longest setting and do the haircut in about 5 minutes.

We prefer the mop top look for him, but his hair is really straight so it ends up in his eyes and scissor cuts are too much of an ordeal to do with a 2 year old. Plus, while my wife did an ok job all things considered, the clipper cut is much easier to get consistent.

When he gets old enough to sit through a haircut with a professional we'll reevaluate, but practicality is winning for now

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I think we might be hitting our first real bout of separation anxiety. I guess he's always been a little needy in terms of always wanting our attention when we're actually at home together, but he's started crying a bit when we drop him off at daycare, which he didn't really do even when he started. And last night he decided he did NOT want to be left alone to go to sleep and ended up crashing at near 2 a.m. after tons of cuddles, Sesame Street, and playtime. (And we're all paying for that now. A late night for you is 8 p.m., buster.)

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My kid’s been going to a real hairdresser since around his second birthday, and he does great. I think if your kid does ok at the doctor you’d probably be ok giving a haircut a try.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I feel like you could perform surgery without anesthesia and my daughter would react to it less dramatically than just getting her hair gently brushed, so ymmv

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp the kiddo has started pointing out when people have “big bellies.”

I’ll let you guess what I have -_-

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

CherryCola posted:

Welp the kiddo has started pointing out when people have “big bellies.”

I’ll let you guess what I have -_-

We’ve had some talks about what to do when you notice how somebody looks, which started when my daughter yelled “THAT GUY HAS A CRAZY FACE” towards someone who clearly had some kind of surgical reconstruction. They didn’t react like they heard her but it was pretty mortifying.

If she notices something about how someone looks, she can quietly tell me, and I will either tell her that was a nice thing to notice, or I will tell her why someone looks like that (for example their hair is big because it’s very curly), or will tell her if an observation might hurt someone’s feelings if they heard her say that, since she can’t quite grasp that concept yet.

In other news, she currently HATES her best friend because he said “na na na boo boo” to her and it made her cry and he is SO MEAN.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Yeah I think that’s probably a conversation that needs to have. This is the first I’ve heard of him actively calling out someone’s appearance and he obviously doesn’t mean it in a mean way…

Trying to explain other people’s feelings in a nuanced way to a 4 year old is a challenge lmao

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’m a stay at home dad and do about 3/4 of the care for my 6 month old son. This afternoon I came back from the grocery and my son was just inconsolable with my wife and wouldn’t eat his bottle, but got immediately better once I picked him up, which predictably made my wife feel like poo poo.

I think she’ll talk it over with her therapist on Friday, but it’s just kind of a sad situation. IDK if he actually is more used to me or not, but I don’t want her to feel like a bad mom even if he is.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Yeah I think that’s probably a conversation that needs to have. This is the first I’ve heard of him actively calling out someone’s appearance and he obviously doesn’t mean it in a mean way…

Trying to explain other people’s feelings in a nuanced way to a 4 year old is a challenge lmao

You could lean into it to make sure it's not seen as bad or weird.

Yes! I do have a big belly! And I have brown eyes and blonde hair. Everyone has different bodies! But we shouldn't make comments on others bodies to people. You can ask me or tell me in private any questions you have!

Kinda the same thing if a kid points out that a person is in a wheelchair or crutches or whatever.

Yes! They do use a wheelchair. that's a special tool to help them get around!

People I know who are disabled generally seem to prefer that kind of reaction to the "shhhhhh don't say that!!!" that my parents did to me.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Eeyo posted:

I’m a stay at home dad and do about 3/4 of the care for my 6 month old son. This afternoon I came back from the grocery and my son was just inconsolable with my wife and wouldn’t eat his bottle, but got immediately better once I picked him up, which predictably made my wife feel like poo poo.

I think she’ll talk it over with her therapist on Friday, but it’s just kind of a sad situation. IDK if he actually is more used to me or not, but I don’t want her to feel like a bad mom even if he is.

We had this same issue, I’m not a stay at home dad but my wife is the primary breadwinner so I did slightly more childcare and the kid expressed a preference towards me.

We ended up in couples counseling because we kept fighting about it, but the therapist said it was really my wife’s issue about feeling less than. Talking through it together and discussing love languages, how to deal with it when it happens, how to validate her sad feelings, and explaining that kids do that and often grow out of it was very helpful.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Phases of extreme parental favoritism is one of those untold parenting things that nobody seems to mention in favor of “sleep when the baby sleeps!!!!”

Our daughter is 3.5 and has gone back and forth between myself and partner multiple times

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yep, just try and spend more time with them the best you can and try not to stress about it. Easier said than done of course. If you can take them alone to do go do something fun/new it sometimes helps.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
The child has now started saying “birds are sus”

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

CherryCola posted:

The child has now started saying “birds are sus”

My friend’s 7 and 8 year olds are obsessed with saying everything is “sussy.” And they are weirdly obsessed with Elon musk. I asked why, and one of them said “because he invented doge twitter.” I don’t know what the hell my friend exposes her kids to but I need to make drat sure I keep my son away from that nonsense. Pretty sure YouTube is poisoning kid’s brains.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Eeyo posted:

I'm a stay at home dad and have the opposite, my kid seems to be happiest when my wife comes home from work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Wife cut our daughter's hair just after 2 because too much crap was getting caught in it and brushing it out was becoming a painful chore

I found out a lot of cultures shave their kid's head shortly after birth, especially those whose kids are born with a full head of hair. My guess is that it helps clean up any birth goop that doesn't wash out easy, probably helps minimize cradle cap, etc; but the myth is that without getting your head shaved your hair will be thin and sparse, or something

Hindus do "mundan" at 13 months, fully shaving the kid's head. I don't know if we're gonna do it or not but the guy has had a proper mullet since birth.

edit: apparently not everybody does it at 13 months, but my wife's family does it then.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our son will be 5 in October, and he is only kind of potty trained. He'll usually go if we ask him, but he often throws a fit about it and he has an accident at least once a week - always pee. So far we've tried a sticker chart with toys and treats as rewards, setting a timer for regular potty visits, and a chore chart which lets him earn allowance money if he doesn't have an accident or throw a fit when we ask him to try. We're out of ideas now. The only thing we've heard of that we haven't tried is letting him be naked. We've avoided that because we haven't had longer than a day and half to do it. Is most of a weekend enough time to let him be naked? What else can we try?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Our toddler refuses to go to sleep before 9:30pm despite skipping naps on the weekend and being deliriously tired after 5pm

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

slave to my cravings posted:

Our toddler refuses to go to sleep before 9:30pm3am despite skipping naps on the weekend and being deliriously tired after 5pm

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Our toddler refuses to go to sleep before 9:30pm despite skipping naps on the weekend and being deliriously tired after 5pm

We're not alone :negative:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

My 2.5 year old is having some potty training regression after a routine change and a UTI. Antibiotics knocked out the infection but it’s been a week since the last #2. All she wants to do is lay around to take pressure off and isn’t eating well because she feels full.

We’ve been pretty indulgent because it sucks seeing her miserable, but tomorrow we’re doing a normal routine to see if moving around and going places helps reset the system. A heat index in the 105s is making it tricky to get outside and run around.

Finally had success and holy cow I forgot how much stuff a toddler can get into in a short amount of time. Even with a short nap and minimal eating my kid regained the energy to take out every single book, toy, and cooking utensil that’s not in a locked cabinet.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Have you tried begging? Groveling? A visit to Uncle Yawn, who can make anyone, rabbits and children, fall asleep faster every night with his invisible magic sleeping powder?

There's two books we use, Roger the Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep and Ellen the Little Elephant Who Wants to Fall Asleep. it includes cues and guidelines for the parent to follow along with encouraging their sleepless demons to fall asleep.

It does work sometimes. They're typically available at libraries.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

whiskas posted:

My little guy seems pretty social and not at all shy. And I feel this is gonna be a challenge for me since I myself am very shy/introverted. I don't want him to pickup on my discomfort. I want to support his curiosity of others.

Same. I just try to roll with it and follow his lead.

The good thing about having an extroverted kid is that they’ll pretty much engage with others on their own. You can sit back and just get involved to ensure proper sharing/turn taking/boundary respecting or if things go off the rails. This seems easier than trying to get a shy kid to engage if you yourself are also shy.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 3 year old has been doing an awesome job adjusting to having a baby brother including sleeping straight through the night until 6 or 6:30am which is amazing for him

So of course the first day I go back to work, he wakes up at 3am :morning:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Argh, not only do we have to eat in 30 minutes due to the insulin, we now have to poop before going to daycare. I'm going to have a goddamn coronary trying to get out the door in the morning

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Now that my wife is going back to work we had to start getting up at 5am again which is fine but the kiddo absolutely does not care to be up at 5. He usually wakes up around 7/8am.

I feel so bad when I have to wake him. I try to get him when he’s moving around a bit to make me feel better but he just gives me the side-eye constantly lol.

Once he gets to his grandmas though he’s usually good, since she likes to give him the morning bottle :)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My 2yo got so invested in a plotline on Gecko's Garage that he shouted WE DID IT and high-fived me at the resolution.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Brawnfire posted:

My 2yo got so invested in a plotline on Gecko's Garage that he shouted WE DID IT and high-fived me at the resolution.

Your child is the correct age for Gecko's Garage. My 4 yo is not. And it mystifies me that this show is interesting to him. What is not mystifying is how I cringe any time I hear it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was fully convinced that little green fucker was voiced by the Salad Fingers dude. It's all I can hear.

"Mechanicals! Fetch me the rusty kettles!"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We reached peak pandemic baby yesterday with the question, "daddy, what's COVID?"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The little dogs name is Lincoln but that name is terrible, so when I get him a new tag it's gonna say Linkin Bark

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
At a local small water park with all three. This wouldn’t have been possible solo a year ago, life is definitely getting easier. Just need the boys to be stronger swimmers to be in the wave pool by themselves without a puddle jumper, they only really figured it out on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I joked with my 4 year old that I was going to throw her in the dungeon while she pretended to steal toys from her room. Now it's a hilarious game to her and she begs to be put in the dungeon while I feverishly backpedal and try to introduce the concept of restorative justice.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

wizzardstaff posted:

I joked with my 4 year old that I was going to throw her in the dungeon while she pretended to steal toys from her room. Now it's a hilarious game to her and she begs to be put in the dungeon while I feverishly backpedal and try to introduce the concept of restorative justice.

lmao

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

My kid's defective.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter does that on a lot of foods. She also just farted and waved it at me. What have I wrought.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Real talk he's picky as hell so just the fact that he took a bite out of something that was a combination of two foods is a huge win.

And the bite is a pretty big deal too because normally he tears apart food into bite sized pieces. Which is how he followed up that taco, tore it into pieces then shoved shredded cheese into his mouth. But a win's a win so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just want to use the restroom without hearing that rising whine of conflict. You're sitting on the couch with your own individual snacks, what could you possibly be fighting about?