Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thermos H Christ posted:

I’m in this weird spot as a Texas fan where I am not the least bit bothered by horns down or interested in whether people do it or not, I have actually never even met a Texas fan in person who gets bothered by it… but I get super touchy and defensive about the suggestion that we’re all big huge crybabies who care so much if people do horns down. I’m not sure that’s any less embarrassing, in the end.

Tbh you’re being a huge crybaby about the extremely true fact that all Texas fans to a man/woman are huge crybabies about horns down. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I’m in this weird spot as a Texas fan where I am not the least bit bothered by horns down or interested in whether people do it or not, I have actually never even met a Texas fan in person who gets bothered by it… but I get super touchy and defensive about the suggestion that we’re all big huge crybabies who care so much if people do horns down. I’m not sure that’s any less embarrassing, in the end.

i've always been secretly thankful there's no sarcastic way to do a gator chomp really. oh you're gonna do it and throat slash? well jokes on you buddy, that looks cool as hell

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

Taunting penalties should just go away anyway. You only get taunted when you hosed up; don't reward loving up and getting told about it with 15 yards

I've never understood getting mad at horns down (or thumbs down, for Aggies) either but I got called terribly rude for doing it one time so I guess some people really like their hand signals

Counterpoint FLorida losing to LSU because a player threw a shoe was loving hilarious.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ve lived in Austin all but three years of my life, and NOT ONCE have I seen a person give a Thumbs Down to an Aggie.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Counterpoint FLorida losing to LSU because a player threw a shoe was loving hilarious.

Agreed, and it was so emblematic of the pervasive rot in the program that the Mullen admin never recovered.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I didn't know about Thumbs Down but now I'm gonna do it to all the Aggies I know in life

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Really wanted to get “fully erect” in there didn’t you

I'll admit that I didn't even bother with any other phrasing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Warbird posted:

Tbh you’re being a huge crybaby about the extremely true fact that all Texas fans to a man/woman are huge crybabies about horns down. :v:

The thing is if it was true I would also think it was funny. Like Texas Football collectively deserves every bit of poo poo we’ve ever caught and more over the choo choo song controversy and the fallout from it. If you take the choo choo song super duper seriously you are a ridiculous clown and there are a lot of those people who are real! I’ve seen them!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Edward Mass posted:

Texas A&M is called a 'clown college'

fixed

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Joey Freshwater posted:

Am I reading it wrong? Doing horns down in the face of a player is a penalty which…yeah making any sort of motion in the face of a player is a penalty most of the time. That’s nothing new.

It also says that teams doing it as a group thing isn’t.

It’s the same thing as the chomp. Dudes have been penalized for doing it at players but not when it’s to the fans, crowd or teammates.

The problem is games will inevitably be reffed by a ref who is also a fan of Texas/will be too quick to give that penalty.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

:hmmyes:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Picturing 1,000 clowns comically disembarking from a F-350

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
As long as we can bring 🤘 signs in to the stands to hold upside down

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Picturing 1,000 clowns comically disembarking from a F-350

JesustheDarkLord posted:

As long as we can bring 🤘 signs in to the stands to hold upside down

When I was 16 and had just started driving and did not know all of the college football lore I passed a truck that had an OU flag and big Texas Logos upside down and I was very confused.

It was in March. Dude just drove around this way all year. Torn between wanting to track this person down and shake their hand and also stay way the hell away from this psychotic person.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

The thing is if it was true I would also think it was funny. Like Texas Football collectively deserves every bit of poo poo we’ve ever caught and more over the choo choo song controversy and the fallout from it. If you take the choo choo song super duper seriously you are a ridiculous clown and there are a lot of those people who are real! I’ve seen them!

I was in Austin in 2018 for Will Grier's epic walk off 2 point conversion with a horns down to the crowd that made tom herman literally cry and boy let me tell you, the student body absolutely HATED people giving them horns down. Lots of full blown meltdowns that night, it was great.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
ok yeah I can believe it was true that night

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tired: “SEC on CBS” theme for Big Ten football
Wired: for Brazilian soccer

https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1681884041249685504

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Hahahahahabab

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution fired the reporter who wrote the UGA covering up sexual assault story. While it declined to take down the whole article, there were a number of corrections and adjustments.

The two players named remain in the article.

They also cited the reporter for mashing up separate quotes from a police interview into one.

So, no doub still a lot of scuzziness, just perhaps not as scuzzy in that one particular way.

e: Just noticed how carefully the amended headline is worded: UGA football program rallied in two incidents when players were accused of abusing women

IANAL but I consider this a detente between the AJC and UGA. AJC doesn't have the manpower to fight the counter-accusations, but UGA would probably rather not go through a bunch of discovery. So AJC apologizes, but only kinda, Alan Judd gets canned, and UGA moves on.

Not the first time for Judd, either. He's also done a fair bit of old-time-corruption reporting for the paper, and you wonder if there were any liberties taken there, too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

go rams

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-football/eli-gold-alabama-football-games-call-stage-3-cancer.html

Bama is back baby

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Geez, announcers in the state of Alabama have had a run of bad luck. Poor guy

Warbird
May 23, 2012

He got better and will return to calling games?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Warbird posted:

He got better and will return to calling games?

Even if you recover I think it’s fair to say getting stage 3 cancer is bad luck.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah I'm sure he's exactly the same after treatment for stage 3 cancer

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1683300438806765568?s=20

Geez this is gonna get real bad huh

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
what the gently caress

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sorry, they were hazing assistants too? What the gently caress, when’s the last time a program got caught doing that?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sorry, they were hazing assistants too? What the gently caress, when’s the last time a program got caught doing that?

Guessing they were players who got hazed and then stayed on to be assistants?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

IIRC, when Billy Gillespie's career melted down in a perpetual alcoholic stupor at Texas Tech, he was demanding various assistants and even the radio announcers run windsprints before games.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Luigi Thirty posted:

New Mexico State basketball IIRC

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Luigi Thirty posted:

On one hand I could see it happening. Every assistant at UF was afraid of Percy Harvin because he was both physically intimidating and so important that any player not named Tebow was expendable next to him. There wasn't hazing, but he was demanding. On the other hand Northwestern has never had a player even 10% of the caliber Percy was.

Edit: think some people might confuse Graduate Assistants (the lowest form of staff) and coaching assistants.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

On the other hand Northwestern has never had a player even 10% of the caliber Percy was.

Zak Kustok erasure

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
It sucks to hear Percy Harvin was a prick because he's one of the few players on a team that I dislike where I will go back and watch his youtube highlights because they were so awesome. It's like you can see him going into a gear nobody else has.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

New Mexico State basketball IIRC

That was just last year too. Hazing is one of those things I'm amazed it still happens, but I guess that's how the cycle of abuse works.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It sucks to hear Percy Harvin was a prick because he's one of the few players on a team that I dislike where I will go back and watch his youtube highlights because they were so awesome. It's like you can see him going into a gear nobody else has.

He was a prick but in the way you kind of want an athlete to be. He took practice and training very seriously. There is an uncorroborated story of him chucking weights across the room at people because they weren't doing their job. He was definitely a Jimmy Butler type in intensity and holding everyone accountable. But like Jimmy, has a very serious and competitive attitude backed by a menacing physique, so lots of people were intimidated by him unless they were high up enough on the coaching rosters. Harvin was the level of talent that could get coaches fired before he got benched.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
It's been about... I dunno, 4 years or so since I've seen college football in-person. Moved to an area (New England) that is not known for their football programs, but I actually love small-time teams.

I want to plan a game this fall. Who would you pick from this selection of teams:

Nearby
University of Rhode Island (FCS, only about 35 minutes away)
Coast Guard Academy (DIII, ~35 mins)
Brown (Ivy, about 45 minutes away)

Bit Further
UConn (~1 hr)
Holy Cross (FCS, ~1 hr)

Bit of a Journey
Yale (Ivy, ~1.5 hr)
Boston College (~1.5 hr)
UMass (~1.5 hr)

There are a few other DII and DIII schools out there, but none of them have truly intriguing stadiums aside from the Coast Guard Academy whose stadium overlooks the Thames River (soft th, not hard).

Which team would you make a plan to go watch? Anyone else that I should be considering?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I think it’s be cool to see an Ivy League game, personally.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

It's been about... I dunno, 4 years or so since I've seen college football in-person. Moved to an area (New England) that is not known for their football programs, but I actually love small-time teams.

I want to plan a game this fall. Who would you pick from this selection of teams:

Nearby
University of Rhode Island (FCS, only about 35 minutes away)
Coast Guard Academy (DIII, ~35 mins)
Brown (Ivy, about 45 minutes away)

Bit Further
UConn (~1 hr)
Holy Cross (FCS, ~1 hr)

Bit of a Journey
Yale (Ivy, ~1.5 hr)
Boston College (~1.5 hr)
UMass (~1.5 hr)

There are a few other DII and DIII schools out there, but none of them have truly intriguing stadiums aside from the Coast Guard Academy whose stadium overlooks the Thames River (soft th, not hard).

Which team would you make a plan to go watch? Anyone else that I should be considering?

I think it'd be cool to see Harvard/Yale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

kayakyakr posted:

Boston College actually has some games against teams I'd expect to get ranked, so that might be fun though I'd expect those tix will be more expensive as well.

UConn has a decent schedule against some teams that might be cool to see.

I totally didn't know Brown even had a team. I have a friend that teaches there but she does not give a poo poo about football, so I'd go to those games just for that connection. Brown plays Yale this year, so you could double dip on that game. Looks like the Ivys mostly play amongst each other, so I guess that Yale game isn't too rare. Brown plays URI as well, for the Governor's Cup, so that matchup probably happens a fair bit as well.

MIT has a team? They play Coast Guard Academy on 10/14, I'd watch that game if I was less than an hour away.