Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Bidenomics

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1682737493358047232?t=DPrFv4B3etHTzD-gflgE5Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been calling it Joenances

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why? Was Binance already tak--oh. Oh.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

burnishedfume posted:

I mean, that's pretty easy to do when you stop existing for 30 years. The Sasanian Empire is also pretty low evil these days but western chauvinists aren't ready for THAT conversation

Just have to stop by and say thank you to this post in particular lol

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Killer robot posted:

That's an important thing, yeah: mobilizing evangelicals to vote as a unified bloc was huge for Republicans. Though it's also still related to what I said because they started doing it in protest of integration before Roe vs. Wade made them suddenly decide life began at conception.

White Evangelical Racism by Anthea Butler is an excellent (and concise) look at this, by the way.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

...this is far from your original claim I was replying to about Houston not being "all that blue". Even if you take it on a relative scale of "all but one of the suburban counties of Chicago", which of course doesn't include Cook since Chicago resides completely within Cook.

Of course Houston is more conservative than Chicago. But trying to claim the city isn't "all that blue" is laughable. Especially since they've been doing really good, progressive things, such as their strategy on homelessness: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/headway/houston-homeless-people.html

The Houston program is pretty effective but I'm honestly not sure I'd call it progressive. It's success has been on diverting federal funds to the program and lots of low to moderate rent apartments on the market. I think what they're doing is pragmatic but I'd only consider it progressive if they did more to change the system to help the long term prospects of the program, it's in danger because of a dry up of federal money and rising housing prices

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Oh yikes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/desantis-doubles-down-on-claim-that-some-blacks-benefited-from-slavery/ar-AA1edB5d
WaPo thru MSN, no paywall

quote:

DeSantis doubles down on claim that some Blacks benefited from slavery

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is intensifying his efforts to de-emphasize racism in his state’s public school curriculum by arguing that some Black people benefited from being enslaved and defending his state’s new African American history standards that civil rights leaders and scholars say misrepresents centuries of U.S. reality.

“They’re probably going to show that some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into doing things later in life,” DeSantis said on Friday in response to reporters’ questions while standing in front of a nearly all-White crowd of supporters.

DeSantis, a GOP presidential candidate who is lagging in polls against the front-runner, former president Donald Trump, and is trying to reset his campaign, quickly drew criticism from educators and even some in his party. He has built his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on attacking what he calls the radical liberal policies of President Biden and the Democratic Party, but the latest remarks could alienate Black voters just as the GOP tries to court them.

Former U.S. Rep. Will Hurd of Texas, who announced last month that he was joining the race for the GOP nomination, blasted the idea that enslaved people were able to use slavery as some kind of training program.

“Slavery wasn’t a jobs program that taught beneficial skills,” Hurd, the son of a Black father and a White mother, tweeted. “It was literally dehumanizing and subjugated people as property because they lacked any rights or freedoms.”

‘A long slog’: Inside DeSantis’s early struggles and effort to rebound
DeSantis, however, is continuing to defend Florida’s new curriculum, which covers a broad range of topics and includes the assertion for middle school instruction that “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

DeSantis said he “wasn’t involved” in writing the new teaching materials, which took effect this week. But he credited “a lot of scholars” with creating “the most robust standards in African American history probably anywhere in the country.”

Civil rights leaders, educators and others have expressed revulsion at the idea that enslaved people benefited from the experience.

As Biden’s running mate, Vice President Harris has stepped up her attack-dog role, and on Friday traveled to Jacksonville to assail DeSantis’s policies in his home state. She emphasized that slavery involved rape, torture and “some of the worst examples of depriving people of humanity in our world.”

Harris, on DeSantis’s turf, blasts Florida curriculum on Black history
Florida State Rep. Fentrice Driskell, a Tampa Democrat who last year became the first Black woman to become House Democratic Leader, called DeSantis’s latest remarks a continuation of DeSantis’s “assault on Black history.”

“Let’s really dissect what he’s saying here,” she said. “He’s saying that to be ripped away from your homelands and brought to another country against your will, or to be born into the atrocity of the dehumanizing institution that was slavery, that those horrors are some way somehow outweighed by the benefit that you get a trade. Are you kidding me?”

DeSantis issued a statement Friday saying, “Democrats like Kamala Harris have to lie about Florida’s educational standards to cover for their agenda of indoctrinating students and pushing sexual topics onto children.” His campaign did not respond to an email on Saturday requesting comment.

Some on the right defended DeSantis, including Fox News host Jesse Watters.

“No one is arguing slaves benefited from slavery,” Watters said Friday on his prime time show. “No one is saying that. It’s not true. They are teaching how Black people develop skills during slavery in some instances that can be applied for their own personal benefit.”

Biden campaign co-chairman Cedric L. Richmond attacked DeSantis’s defense of the new Florida curriculum as “disgusting.” He added in a statement on Saturday that it was “a symptom of the extremism that’s infected the Republican candidates running for president. There’s no debate over slavery. It was utterly evil with zero redeeming qualities.”

Marvin Dunn, a professor emeritus at Florida International University and author of “A History of Florida: Through Black Eyes,” said DeSantis would gain no political advantage from his argument because “it is so outrageous that people are going to reject it.”

“These children know in their hearts and in their minds that slavery was evil,” he said.

“One of the main things about slavery, beyond the physical damage that it did to people of so many generations, was that it prevented people from becoming what they could have become,” he said.

“So what if you became a carpenter or a blacksmith or a good maid? Your chances of that were not determined by you, it was determined by somebody else. That’s not a rationalization for enslavement.”
[/quote]

Let DeSantis talk about slavery all day

If you haven't taken the opportunity yet, ask a fellow conservative to describe the benefits of slavery. Then ask them what would have otherwise prevented the knowledge or skill gained if they were free. You can get people to admit they think that it is exclusively through the guidance of a slave owner that slaves truly benefited from a total lack of freedom or rights.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Look, we all agree that false imprisonment is bad. However, sometimes it's only be being falsely imprisoned that you are set up to become a rich count, and and get the life you always wanted. We should really be nuanced and not go all in on woke indoctrination that people who frame others for crimes are inherently evil.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

parthenocarpy posted:

Oh yikes

Let DeSantis talk about slavery all day

If you haven't taken the opportunity yet, ask a fellow conservative to describe the benefits of slavery. Then ask them what would have otherwise prevented the knowledge or skill gained if they were free. You can get people to admit they think that it is exclusively through the guidance of a slave owner that slaves truly benefited from a total lack of freedom or rights.

It's even more pathetic that the lickspittles on the Florida Board of Education decided to go all-in on Desantis' bullshit and couldn't even get that right.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

parthenocarpy posted:

Given the obviously racist premises at play here, I would wager that the answer would also involve some linear combination of "well otherwise they'd be stuck in Africa" or "learning a white man's skill is something an n-slur can't teach to another", possibly modified with "back then" but not necessarily. Looks like pudding dick Ron is going whole hog on saying the vile stuff out loud, since he's getting crushed by Trump in every freaking poll :eng99: Can't wait for next year!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1682547800247001088

Dude should have listened to his mom and shut up

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
We really are dusting off the old "school of the plantation" line from the 1840s and 50s, huh? John C. Calhoun would be so proud.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fighting Trousers posted:

We really are dusting off the old "school of the plantation" line from the 1840s and 50s, huh? John C. Calhoun would be so proud.

No, now we're also insisting that slavery was a good way to learn reading, writing, and other core educational skills that would help you go on to found a University.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

This is one of the nutjob authors.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 23, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
DeSantis ran such a loving racist campaign against Andrew Gillum. Who would have thought he’d govern like a loving racist after that? It’s still kind of amazing to me that the Fox talking heads are trying to cover for this one, in particular.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

parthenocarpy posted:

"No one is arguing slavery benefited the slaves. We're arguing that slavery benefited the slaves."

Like, what the gently caress my guy? Hypocrisy is a goddam super power.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

The slaves were occasionally, I'm being told, sometimes fed, and that food was digested and gave appreciable sustenance and nutrition which undoubtedly benefitted the slave.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
When you think about it, slavery is in many ways similar with volunteer work: you work together with others for some greater good, without getting paid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's the ultimate internship.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Democrats support affirmative action, and what was slavery but an affirmative action jobs program?

My only objection is that this dog piling on DeSantis is coming at a time when he has absolutely no chance and the real fight is Trump.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
European settlers had to pay probably substantial amounts for the trip across the Atlantic. But those West African migrants? They got it all for free :luckyducky:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nenonen posted:

European settlers had to pay probably substantial amounts for the trip across the Atlantic. But those West African migrants? They got it all for free :luckyducky:

What's the usual refrain?

They were fed, they go to be with their families, they got to learn new skills, really they should thank us for civilizing them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Morrow posted:

Democrats support affirmative action, and what was slavery but an affirmative action jobs program?

My only objection is that this dog piling on DeSantis is coming at a time when he has absolutely no chance and the real fight is Trump.

This is the new Florida curriculum and goes beyond Desantis' presidential run.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The female slaves raped by the slavemaster should simply be grateful that they were birthing children of nordic and anglo-saxon stock.

But seriously this doubling down on "slavery was good, actually" is a serious "gently caress around and find out" moment in the making. I know they WANT to downplay the effects of slavery but I'm not confident normal people are going to be comfortable with that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who can deny the benefits of being brought to the greatest country in the world and being civilized through the hard work of the masters? Are you telling me you’d rather be deported back to Africa to live in a hut?

It’s weird how this rhetoric hasn’t changed at all in over 100 years.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 23, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But seriously this doubling down on "slavery was good, actually" is a serious "gently caress around and find out" moment in the making. I know they WANT to downplay the effects of slavery but I'm not confident normal people are going to be comfortable with that.

I think generally time separated from the civil war and the whole debunking of confederate culture (in the mainstream anyways) has been helpful it people seeing through SOME of the slavery was actually good for slaves thing.

I mean, it was "only" a century between the Civil War and Civil Rights Act, lots of lingering cultural divides from people who lived through it I am sure still have bearing on people's thoughts.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't think the normal people of today are who they're doing this for.

If there's one things we know about conservatives, it's that they can play the long game. They can absolutely bide their time stacking courts, loving with history textbooks and school curriculums and chip away at the idea that slavery was bad, until eventually, people who know that slavery was bad are some fringe minority and the official story is that not only was it cool and good, but hell, the slaves were volunteering to come over and work for a better opportunity for themselves and to gain lots of exposure.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who can deny the benefits of being brought to the greatest country in the world and being civilized through the hard work of the madters? Are you telling me you’d rather be deported back to Africa to live in a hut?

It’s weird how this rhetoric hasn’t changed at all in over 100 years.

Once upon a time Ayn Rand was promoting this poo poo so frequently that it started to feel like she had an explosives belt strapped to her that would blast her waxy rear end clean off the second she fell behind on telling people that force and fraud was actually ok if it was done to the dirt people. Like she be inaugurating military grads or something and BEEP BEEP BEEP oh yes but if a segway here but forget what I was just saying it turns out it was OK to feed the native americans into wood chippers because they weren't going to leverage their private property into passive income like the true enlighteneds

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gyges posted:

It's the ultimate internship.

They were paid with exposure.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Will no one rid me of this meddlesome Thirteenth Amendment?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyges posted:

No, now we're also insisting that slavery was a good way to learn reading, writing, and other core educational skills that would help you go on to found a University.

Not to mention calling back to this old one where an NFL broadcaster said that black people were better at football because of slave breeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtIqXMpHcY

So we can all thank slavery for giving us awesome football and Patrick Mahomes. Also, now all these guys get to make a lot of money because the slave masters were kind enough to breed them like animals.

E

gently caress. That wasn't even the clip I was looking for. Here's a WAPO article on it from 1988

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...1-851d5281ade4/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 23, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

While we're talking about my extremely dumb state, our state CFO decided to respond to Farmers Insurance pulling out of Florida by....you guessed it, calling them Woke

quote:

Jimmy Patronis, CFO of the state, lit into Farmers Insurance for its plans to leave the state on CNBC recently, saying “if they would just leave ESG [environmental, social, and corporate governance ] and put it away, and focus on the bottom line, they may not have made this decision to leave the state of Florida with the tail between their legs.”

“I do say they’re too woke,” he added. “I do call them the Bud Light of the insurance industry. I do feel like they have chaos in their C-suite.”

https://fortune.com/2023/07/20/florida-insurance-woke-jimmy-patronis-cfo-bud-light/?queryly=related_article

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DeSantis' talking points go all the way back to the pre-civil war era. Slave owners themselves would buy into the idea that they were a gentle guiding hand. Northern industrialists were monsters who only provided you wages instead of a house, food, and comfort was a common retort to northern abolitionist arguments.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FlamingLiberal posted:

While we're talking about my extremely dumb state, our state CFO decided to respond to Farmers Insurance pulling out of Florida by....you guessed it, calling them Woke

https://fortune.com/2023/07/20/florida-insurance-woke-jimmy-patronis-cfo-bud-light/?queryly=related_article

Wow those comparisons are really going to hurt their business in the state they’re refusing to do business in

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

parthenocarpy posted:

Even if you wanted to be as charitable as possible and find some grain of truth in this take, the idea that this should in any sense be the main lens for teaching about the history of slavery is completely bonkers, to put it mildly.

It's like if your main takeaway from Star Wars is that evil empires result in people learning how to fly X-Wings.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

DeSantis' talking points go all the way back to the pre-civil war era. Slave owners themselves would buy into the idea that they were a gentle guiding hand. Northern industrialists were monsters who only provided you wages instead of a house, food, and comfort was a common retort to northern abolitionist arguments.

Reminds me of a history podcast discussion describing how viking-age slavery in Iceland ending because the rich land-owners realized it worked out better for them if the slaves were "independent tenant farmers" where the relationship ended with paying large portions of their crops, instead of slaves where the owners were legally and socially obligated to feed and house in the winter lean months.

Yes, you've managed to do the "right" thing, but still somehow have been a horrible lovely person in actual effect.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Insurance companies pulled of California without much hullabaloo, why is it a bigger deal in Florida?

https://apnews.com/article/california-wildfire-insurance-e31bef0ed7eeddcde096a5b8f2c1768f

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

There's a part of me that really wants to ask these apologists "Based on your talking points, do you believe that slavery is morally correct and justified? And if so, do you also believe that you are obligated to own slaves should the chance present itself?", but I know they'll automatically weasel themselves out of answering.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Logic Probed posted:

There's a part of me that really wants to ask these apologists "Based on your talking points, do you believe that slavery is morally correct and justified? And if so, do you also believe that you are obligated to own slaves should the chance present itself?", but I know they'll automatically weasel themselves out of answering.

Well obviously things were different back then...:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's the old "we're not saying slavery was good and was beneficial BUT..."

And they do this crap all the time. And why is everyone dogpiling on Ron for exercising his freedom of speech, anyways? Huh, libs? I thought you were tolerant."

Still hosed up and really telling that we're at a point where schools teaching that Slavery Was/Is Bad and a shameful stain on our country is controversial, woke and we need to see both sides.

"Slavery is Terrible" should be something we can all kind of rally around but here we are so I guess not. Let's have an open debate and discussion about the relative merits of it for some reason and why it wasn't all bad. Did I mention that Irish, Jewish and Asian people also were discriminated against (a favorite from my parents)? Plus, it ended a long time ago and when are black people gonna stop using it as an excuse. Furthermore...

*fart*

"The Native Americans were savages" is one I've heard bandied about too.

gently caress Ron DeSantis and the entire Republican party. Can't wait for the "reasonable candidate", Chris Christie, to chime in on how abhorrent this is and watch his poll numbers sink even further as a result or Liz loving Cheney to comment on it and get called a RINO.

Talk radio is gonna be locked and loaded about how the liberal media twisted Ron's words tomorrow.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 23, 2023