Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

how do you do a covid episode. who wants to see that poo poo at this point.

I think it's definitely possible to do a comedy episode about covid. The last season of The Other Two had two episodes with covid storylines that were good. Even the Sex and the City sequel show had a good covid storyline in the last episode. But IMHO they need to be about either the weird upheaval of social conventions it causes, or dive into the dark comedy aspects, to work. Joking about sticking things up your nose probably isn't the way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A show set in the future doing jokes that are a couple years late. Sign me up! :lol:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If they do an episode about covid there better be a bit about how the smelloscope “stopped working”.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They already did a contagion episode last reboot. Fry brought back the common cold, and Planet Express did a whole lockdown. It was an alright episode. No one needs another.

I’m not watching this reboot, but I’ll watch this thread so I can see the train wreck through this thread. I understand that I may revoke my Fighting Mongooses gang tag.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The third season of Party Down just came out and had a lot of excellent COVID jokes. I don't trust this show to do it that well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah if you're gonna do covid jokes, they better be loving hilarious because all we had to do for months was make them. No easy pickings there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It would be pretty crazy if they killed off one of the main cast from covid

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kif, inform the men. I've been... cancelled
*suffocates*

Zedd fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 9, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The boneitis episode was on tv this morning.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I say that poo poo every time I'm sick.

It's just wall to wall whining to my dog or some poor romantic partner with "I apologiiiiiize" from Deadwood and "my only regret... is that I have... boneitis."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's just wall to wall whining to my dog or some poor romantic partner with "I apologiiiiiize" from Deadwood

SHUT THE gently caress UP!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

IUG posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP!
I was briefly confused here before my brain fed me Jane's line delivery. :xd:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The boneitis episode was on tv this morning.

'Future Stock' is one of my favorite episodes. Imo....one of....if not the funniest of the whole series. Right off the bat....."yes....good thing I noticed the similar shapes"....and I knew it was going to be a corker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EziwShcBuoQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The delivery on that line is amazing, the guy is SOOOOO impressed with himself :allears:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Reviews are coming in. Here are non Hypnotoad based ones:

https://www.avclub.com/futurama-season-11-review-hulu-tv-revival-1850633949

https://www.cracked.com/article_38785_review-this-time-around-futurama-may-have-come-back-one-time-too-many.html

https://variety.com/2023/tv/tv-reviews/futurama-hulu-reboot-review-1235674534/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Cracked.com still exists?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

All three are basically saying "It's kinda poo poo but eh, more content for the content farm"
Which is depressing

The variety one is a proper rubbish AI level one though, just "here's what Futurama as a concept is" and I feel like the main reason for the reboot isn't to lure in new viewers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

The variety one is a proper rubbish AI level one though

Yeah, loving hell no kidding. Has that weird generic cadence and everything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first one is somewhat positive I'd say? It says it's just Futurama-rear end Futurama, nothing more, nothing less, and you should probably know if you want that or not. Which is basically what I expected.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its going to be just like every season after the 4th. Some good episodes, some really trash ones, a few that are ok, one that proves some new esoteric mathematical theorm, and then one or two that serve to emotionally devastate the entire audience.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It being mediocre to good is better than I'd hope for a revamped writers room coming back entirely cold after years of off time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Its going to be just like every season after the 4th. Some good episodes, some really trash ones, a few that are ok, one that proves some new esoteric mathematical theorm, and then one or two that serve to emotionally devastate the entire audience.

I mean, even the original run of Futurama was like that. I think the show gets looked back upon with rose-colored glasses; those original seasons on Fox had some massive clunkers and some of the humor has aged like milk.

Edit: That said, The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings might be my favorite half-hour episode of anything, ever.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It being mediocre to good is better than I'd hope for a revamped writers room coming back entirely cold after years of off time.

Such a huge and accurate burn on Disenchantment

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I mean, even the original run of Futurama was like that. I think the show gets looked back upon with rose-colored glasses; those original seasons on Fox had some massive clunkers and some of the humor has aged like milk.

Edit: That said, The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings might be my favorite half-hour episode of anything, ever.

Like Futurama itself said about Star Trek: "Seventy-nine episodes, around thirty good ones."

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
We'll see how well this works compared to posting Bob's Burgers

1:The Impossible Stream
Fry risks permanent insanity when he attempts to binge-watch every TV show ever made.

2: Children of a Lesser Bog
Amy and Kif’s children emerge from an alien swamp.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Timby posted:

The original run had almost zero clunkers. Maybe a handful. And even those weren't terrible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The original run had almost zero clunkers. Maybe a handful. And even those weren't terrible.

Yea there's a definite "mix of 7-9 scores" for the original run and then a "mix of 6-9 scores" in the second run.
It's no way as bad as the complete drop off for the simpsons but it's there, the later ones are just straight up not as good

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Last time this came up in the Futurama thread I felt like the point stood that even A Leela of Her Own, possibly one of the worst episodes and one people generally agree on, still had a good Bender quote that gets repeated a lot and the Hank Aaron Jr. stuff that was okay. It didn't seem like they had any truly dreadful ones until the reboots even if some were just mediocre.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Last time this came up in the Futurama thread I felt like the point stood that even A Leela of Her Own, possibly one of the worst episodes and one people generally agree on, still had a good Bender quote that gets repeated a lot and the Hank Aaron Jr. stuff that was okay. It didn't seem like they had any truly dreadful ones until the reboots even if some were just mediocre.

A Leela of Her Own is definitely (IMDB wise) the lowest rated original one
There's a few rated lower later on but the average score is just generally lower.

I do think (especially with older stuff) it's a good way of seeing the consensus on episodes because it does tend to fit how people talk about them too.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I liked A Leela of Her Own, the main thing was I've never paid any attention to baseball so I had no idea why everyone kept shouting "bean"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked the new one but I also liked most of the Comedy Central ones so what do I know.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The original run had high highs, and the lows were still pretty high.

Comedy Central run had high highs and LOW lows.

New one is fine. Not a classic but not a dud either. I do hope we get some new classics in this one to justify its return again. I was re-watching some CC era episodes this weekend since I only vaguely remember them and Game of Tones WRECKED me. That episode should be remembered up there with Jurassic Bark and Luck of the Fryrish

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Taear posted:

All three are basically saying "It's kinda poo poo but eh, more content for the content farm"
Which is depressing

This is what feels so off about it. If someone was like "I've got an idea for an amazing Bender story, we've just gotta tell it!" then it's like, okay, if you've got that great an idea, let's get the band back together. But it's just like "hey, let's do some more Futurama episodes riffing on current events or whatever" and man, there is only so many times you can kick a dead horse before worms stop coming out (or whatever, I don't know how that analogy works, I assume you're hunting for worms).

I get the same feeling with the Justified revival too, even though I've enjoyed the first two episodes. So far it just seems like "hey, let's drag Raylan out for another season of crime hijinks" and sure, it's fun, but you didn't need to drag everyone back just to do this, you coulda just come up with something new.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Yup, this is a Futurama revival episode. I'm curious how much they could or couldn't say about working the writers room to death.

Taear posted:

A Leela of Her Own is definitely (IMDB wise) the lowest rated original one
There's a few rated lower later on but the average score is just generally lower.

It's what Hank Aaron XXIV would want.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The meta stuff about the revival and actual plot felt pretty rough. Along with a little too much "Remember this guy! And these guys!" but the individual jokes got a few good laughs. Not a bad start and better than I expected.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
That wasn't very good imo

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also hate how they reset Fry and Leela yet again.
It's like the writers just can't write them.as a couple.

Episode was definitely in the lower range quality wise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mokinokaro posted:

I also hate how they reset Fry and Leela yet again.
It's like the writers just can't write them.as a couple.

Like the time Fry sold his marriage to the DevilBot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I did laugh at the robot comedian clip, and the little dig at the Twilight Zone reboot, not that Futurama really has any high ground there.

Also lol that they basically just decided to completely ignore the previous finale and character development from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

This is what feels so off about it. If someone was like "I've got an idea for an amazing Bender story, we've just gotta tell it!" then it's like, okay, if you've got that great an idea, let's get the band back together. But it's just like "hey, let's do some more Futurama episodes riffing on current events or whatever" and man, there is only so many times you can kick a dead horse before worms stop coming out (or whatever, I don't know how that analogy works, I assume you're hunting for worms).

I get the same feeling with the Justified revival too, even though I've enjoyed the first two episodes. So far it just seems like "hey, let's drag Raylan out for another season of crime hijinks" and sure, it's fun, but you didn't need to drag everyone back just to do this, you coulda just come up with something new.

The motive is always these producers need money for 4th vacation homes.

If it turns out well, that's a happy accident.