Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
dishwasher
fridge
goku
water heater
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Silver Alicorn posted:

touch screens make me so mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
glancing at the title I guessed the thread was about compliance but thanks to gamer dishwasher it's somehow worse

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

why would you ever willingly click on a thread about compliance

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

well-read undead posted:

a: ignore the problem itll solve itself
b: tell your manager
c: send an email to your compliance officer
d: call 911

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

mediaphage posted:

probes are the best and probably that ovens best feature

shove it in a roast then blast the temp and remove immediately when it hits your target temp

seriously it's the break point in the recipe where you can drink the entire bottle of wine and still not gently caress up too badly

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

well-read undead posted:

my house came with a bertazzoni gas range. i don't know how many thousands of dollars it cost, but i do know: the oven is a pain in the rear end to light, sometimes taking multiple attempts; the handle on the oven door buzzes; and same handle also has a screw in it, not reachable by normal human hands or tools, that gradually loosens, and must be retightened improvised techniques, lest the handle get all wobbly and presumably eventually fall off

but it heats the food fine so who's to say if it's good or bad

when you light the oven you need to open the door, light it, then leave the door open for seriously like 30 seconds. i had to actually read the manual to figure this out.

we probably have different handles because that's one of the only real differences with the ~heritage~ line. the normal line is like $3k which is actually reasonable if you demand a 6-burner 36" gas range

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

DELETE CASCADE posted:

when you light the oven you need to open the door, light it, then leave the door open for seriously like 30 seconds. i had to actually read the manual to figure this out.

we probably have different handles because that's one of the only real differences with the ~heritage~ line. the normal line is like $3k which is actually reasonable if you demand a 6-burner 36" gas range

yeah i figured out the door thing pretty quick, but even open it’s sometimes a total pain to light. idk, not enough of a pain to pay to replace

i hope u enjoy ur fancy 𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔞𝔤𝔢 door handle

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Kernel Sanders posted:

can’t blame a company for selling a $50 BOM for $2500 to bougie nouveau riche assholes.

this is not the apple thread

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the house i bought six years ago has the best oven ui I’ve ever used and it’s my oven!!!

one selector knob for function, another for temperature

when you set the temperature the leds flash between target and current temp while it’s heating up. and the germans we bought our place from even mounted it at chest height. deutchsland uber alles

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

that's the same brand as my fridge. i like our fridge.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
goon recommendations haven't steered me wrong yet. just installed a bosch 800, and we also have a matching speed queen set.

also happy with the rinnai tankless we installed when the old tanked crapped out.

Not looking forward to whenever the fridge goes as it fills a big space in the kitchen. We've been here nearly five years and it's crapped out once, control board.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

well-read undead posted:

mostly because our software to handle it might actually be worse than me handling it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

the house i bought six years ago has the best oven ui I’ve ever used and it’s my oven!!!

one selector knob for function, another for temperature

when you set the temperature the leds flash between target and current temp while it’s heating up. and the germans we bought our place from even mounted it at chest height. deutchsland uber alles

we had a different oven but it was f&p and looks like offered similar functionality. anyway I was reading the manual and as an example meal for the function "fan grill" it had a roast... and I was like wtf but I tried it, cooked on bottom of oven with fan grill and drat that's the only way going foward

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ya convection takes care of all the worst parts of consumer ovens imo, usually the uneven baking and temperatures. plus it also helps dry out the surface of some meats which is a plus

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i have whirlpool everything and they all seem like poop - ok??

fridge constantly makes a pool of water in the veggie drawer for some reason

oven control board seems to be burning out

washer is alright, same with microwave, definitely wont be replacing them with whirlpool though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ive had nothin but good luck w/ whirlpool. Dryers lasted like 20 years, washer lasted 10 or so, i had a fridge that must have been 15 until we replaced it with this samsung abomination because we didnt like the color and thought a freezer on bottom would be nice. I rue the day i made that decision.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my whirlpool microwave has been excellent and still works fine after 15 years
my whirlpool dishwasher started leaking all over the floor and got replaced with :rice:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ur mistake was buying a fridge from the phone company

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

yeah whirlpool used to make great appliances, now they make poo poo. your whirlpool you bought 15 years ago will outlast one bought 5 years ago

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

oh yeah the water dispenser on my samsung fridge conked out after a year and the shelving is a mess
i am just waiting for the ice machine to crap out so i have a good excuse to get rid of it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's a samsung appliance. i'm not sure you're gonna find a better excuse than that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have never been angrier at an appliance

i feel like its 2023 and refrigerators are a solved problem

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor, in europe, fuming about his refrigerator back home :argh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well yeah but the actual problem they're trying to solve is getting you to buy a new one as often as possible. and i gotta say, samsung's ahead of the pack there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well-read undead posted:

rotor, in europe, fuming about his refrigerator back home :argh:

i can be mad about lots of things in all kinds of ways and in all types of locations

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

goddamn thing is loud enough i can probably hear it from here if i listen close

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

do tvs count as appliances in the context of this thread? i’m mad that my 2015 lg oled doesn’t have a standard vesa mount. getting a new tv and i wanted to put that one on the wall in my basement, but the proprietary mount requires an adapter that doesn’t seem to exist in 2023. c’mon lucky goldstar

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i had a whirlpool washer that had a lot of problems. it wouldn’t drain after a wash and fixing everything related to the error code would fix it. i ended up luckily finding an exact model for free on kijiji with a different error code, and i swapped the control board and it fixed. I also had to replace the hot water valve solenoid, the pump, and the shocks in the span of 5 years

the positive is that i know a lot about washing machine repair now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

well yeah but the actual problem they're trying to solve is getting you to buy a new one as often as possible. and i gotta say, samsung's ahead of the pack there

the subtitle of this thread should be "don't buy samsung, never buy samsung"

samsung appliances are the biggest pieces of poo poo around. the last person i know who bought all samsung appliances, because she got a deal on them, replaced them all within a year because the oven and dishwasher would randomly stop working until rebooted (cut the power at the breaker for a few minutes), and the ice maker in the freezer kept jamming up and you had to do some code with the door buttons to manually initiate a defrost cycle

e: and samsung tvs have the slowest, most lag prone interface in the history of user interfaces. every time i use one, the remote buttons often have a delay ranging from about 500ms to several seconds. sony isn't what they used to be in the crt days, but their tvs are still very good and serve well as offline monitors (iirc, you can even put them in "pro mode" that turns off all the apps and other 'smart' bullshit)

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 23, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

done

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

the subtitle of this thread should be "don't buy samsung, never buy samsung"

i should have clarified that while they've figured out the "get you to replace your appliances as often as possible" part, they haven't cracked the "but make sure it gets replaced by other samsung appliances" part. my bad

my current theory wrt samsung is that their appliances division is where they send all the fuckups from the other divisions that they can't fire for political or other reasons. hey, guy from the shipbuilding division who designs oil filters that leak everywhere, how 'bout designing fridge compressors instead? embedded dude who can't flash a loving led, how about you write dryer firmware from now on? how about you lcd pannel buddy, you ever wanted to put a tv in a fridge? then boy have i got the job for you!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i love our fisher & paykel fridge. it goes beep beep beep if you leave the door open.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/qntm/status/1337888441040834561

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

we had a different oven but it was f&p and looks like offered similar functionality. anyway I was reading the manual and as an example meal for the function "fan grill" it had a roast... and I was like wtf but I tried it, cooked on bottom of oven with fan grill and drat that's the only way going foward

...woah :wth:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The_Franz posted:

e: and samsung tvs have the slowest, most lag prone interface in the history of user interfaces. every time i use one, the remote buttons often have a delay ranging from about 500ms to several seconds. sony isn't what they used to be in the crt days, but their tvs are still very good and serve well as offline monitors (iirc, you can even put them in "pro mode" that turns off all the apps and other 'smart' bullshit)

actually philips does but lol @ philips in 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

ya convection takes care of all the worst parts of consumer ovens imo, usually the uneven baking and temperatures. plus it also helps dry out the surface of some meats which is a plus

for sure, which is why fan bake is a thing..

but fan grill, or in american "fan broil", never made sense to me to do a big meat roast.. until I tried it and it was such an excellent result

this is not an elaborate hoax I pronise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

for sure, which is why fan bake is a thing..

but fan grill, or in american "fan broil", never made sense to me to do a big meat roast.. until I tried it and it was such an excellent result

this is not an elaborate hoax I pronise

ah, so you're cooking it entirely top down, thanks for the clarification

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i was gonna say something like "it'll make the whole thing dry!" but once the surface moisture evaporates there should be a crust that prevents more water from leaving, and besides what makes a roast juicy is largely the fat that melts and seeps through it and that's not going anywhere

but i don't have one of those fancy ovens with a fan in it so i won't be able to try that with that roast beef recipe i haven't made in forever where it's slathered in a blend of dijon mustard and herbs, even though it probably would be a good candidate

this all made me hungry though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i was gonna say something like "it'll make the whole thing dry!" but once the surface moisture evaporates there should be a crust that prevents more water from leaving, and besides what makes a roast juicy is largely the fat that melts and seeps through it and that's not going anywhere

but i don't have one of those fancy ovens with a fan in it so i won't be able to try that with that roast beef recipe i haven't made in forever where it's slathered in a blend of dijon mustard and herbs, even though it probably would be a good candidate

this all made me hungry though

the thing that really determines how much moisture is left inside a piece is just the temperature it gets to, a fan is unlikely to do much more than keep the surface dry imo

you can still do a recipe like that in a non-convection oven, it'll work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
always use a meat thermometer especially if its something like pork that you wanna make sure is definitely cooked

but the fan "broil", and tbc you'd put the meat in the pan on the bottom of the oven, always made for a great finish on the meat but never like, dried out the bottom or whatever, and it wasnt until I did this that I saw the benefit

my mum makes a gravy from the crusted up meat juices on the bottom of the pan lol which this method wouldn't help

i was gonna say something like "it'll make the whole thing dry!"

tbf if someone had suggested to me to cook a roast like this I'd think they were a moron, and people look at my like one when I tell them to, but it was the manual for the oven I got this idea from, may not have tried it otherwise