Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yooo did you see what elon just Xed on X??!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

subscribe to x to get x money

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yooo did you see what elon just Xed on X??!!!

Yeah, I rexed it

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

X, the everything champ

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
X marks the pot :420:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The button sill says TWEET, hope someone got fired for that oversight

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

toggle posted:

what do you reckon Ian smells like?

Failure, sweat and semen

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

some kinda jackal posted:

The button sill says TWEET, hope someone got fired for that oversight

"bro! why didn't you re-x my x?"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

check out my xvideos

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

check out my xvideos

Okay

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Here's how you know this man has zero understanding of how the modern internet works.

All of the SEO, all of the links, everything currently points to twitter.com. That is the valuable property.

What he wants to do is mask twitter.com to appear to be x.com. That's a pretty straightforward proxy situation, basically just rewriting the domain name for each request and processing it as normal. Something an F5 load balancer could do easily 10 years ago and only gets easier with modern cloud services like Fastly.

Then, once that's set up, add in a 301 redirect for all twitter.com URLs to point to their x.com equivalent. The 301 redirect will be honored by Google and other search engines, which means all the SEO and associated links will still work correctly in their algorithm and surface links appropriately.

Instead, he's done this backwards. X.com is useless and he's pointed that at Twitter. Which means there's now an errant redirect from x.com to Twitter stuck in the cache of a number of services. So if he ever actually switches things over, not only will the SEO be all screwed up, but it might result in an infinite loop of redirects.

This is like a middle school child figuring out a CNAME for the first time and thinking they are a leet haxxor.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

foghorn posted:

Here's how you know this man has zero understanding of how the modern internet works.

All of the SEO, all of the links, everything currently points to twitter.com. That is the valuable property.

What he wants to do is mask twitter.com to appear to be x.com. That's a pretty straightforward proxy situation, basically just rewriting the domain name for each request and processing it as normal. Something an F5 load balancer could do easily 10 years ago and only gets easier with modern cloud services like Fastly.

Then, once that's set up, add in a 301 redirect for all twitter.com URLs to point to their x.com equivalent. The 301 redirect will be honored by Google and other search engines, which means all the SEO and associated links will still work correctly in their algorithm and surface links appropriately.

Instead, he's done this backwards. X.com is useless and he's pointed that at Twitter. Which means there's now an errant redirect from x.com to Twitter stuck in the cache of a number of services. So if he ever actually switches things over, not only will the SEO be all screwed up, but it might result in an infinite loop of redirects.

This is like a middle school child figuring out a CNAME for the first time and thinking they are a leet haxxor.

Dint read

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
x, and everything’s crap!!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

people are asking x? and i'm just asking y?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is going to make it harder than ever to do searches for songs by the 80's LA punk band X

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
please sir. you are 47. it's just an x.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

foghorn posted:

I guess UFO: Enemy Unknown was already taken.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Jul 23, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

foghorn posted:

true, but based on how it's gone every other time we've criticised musk this confirms to me that x.com will be the everything url

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/frankconniff/status/1683203011131105286?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

asmon loading up runescape to check his stats screen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

what the gently caress

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm not remotely a business brains genius but is there any good reason to completely change an internationally recognized brand to something as generic as X?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

foghorn posted:

yes this is all well and good but you forgot to factor in epic ftw

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not remotely a business brains genius but is there any good reason to completely change an internationally recognized brand to something as generic as X?

yeah, if you're a corporate raider deliberately trying to run a business into the ground as pretense to selling off its assets, firing its employees and attaching debt from other businesses that you actually want to succeed then yes, a rebrand can facilitate a swifter decline

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zeroisanumber posted:

Musk is the brand now. I'm surprised he's not renaming it to Musk.com.

Imagine musking and remusking.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Zeroisanumber posted:

it sounds loving rad when you have the brain off a completely average Midwestern 14 year old

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

what the gently caress

Looks ready

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

stick a fork in it. it's done.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

bawk posted:

asmon loading up runescape to check his stats screen

i refuse to believe this man has any attack skill

he's probably like 3 HP somehow too, got his poo poo from RS classic

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

yeah, if you're a corporate raider deliberately trying to run a business into the ground as pretense to selling off its assets, firing its employees and attaching debt from other businesses that you actually want to succeed then yes, a rebrand can facilitate a swifter decline

If I was going to do that sort of crash out I probably wouldn't have overpaid for a company with as few physical assets as Twitter. You'd do better buying someplace with a ton of assets that you can sell down while forcing it to buy a bunch of product from your company. If that really was the plan from the beginning he should've bought Greyhound.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
musk is too stupid to have had a greater plan in buying twitter, but the saudis saw this as an opportunity to destroy it and gleefully handed him money to let him destroy his toy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

foghorn posted:

Interesting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

foghorn posted:

the funnier part will be all the references to like internal API calls that still point to twitter.com that instantly break somehow

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Also, aren't his major investors the Saudis? $44 billion is bonesaw money.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I was going to do that sort of crash out I probably wouldn't have overpaid for a company with as few physical assets as Twitter. You'd do better buying someplace with a ton of assets that you can sell down while forcing it to buy a bunch of product from your company. If that really was the plan from the beginning he should've bought Greyhound.

I'm not saying that's what Musk did, in fact I think Musk was forced into the purchase when he tried to renegotiate or back out. It's just that if you deliberately wanted to tank a business fast then a rebranding can help in that endeavor.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zeroisanumber posted:

Also, aren't his major investors the Saudis? $44 billion is bonesaw money.

i guarantee you the saudis got exactly what they wanted when they killed a major platform for spreading leftism and all of the data of their enemies

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/lindayacc/status/1683213895463215104?s=20
going to do my banking on this garbo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate