Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe they changed it in a patch and I didn't notice. Or maybe poetics is an exception since you always have poetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kwyndig posted:

Maybe they changed it in a patch and I didn't notice. Or maybe poetics is an exception since you always have poetics.
There's a menu you can open up by clicking the gear in the currency window.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
This game is really great, but I wish these games had more "role playing" and less linear path along a straight line for its story, I dunno...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's hard to do any sort of branching narrative in a game this long, but if you are actually interested in role playing there's servers dedicated to people just socializing and doing it

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Even if the outcome remains the same, they do get better at giving out different kind of speech options to make the WoL a bit more "your" character.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

flatluigi posted:

it's hard to do any sort of branching narrative in a game this long, but if you are actually interested in role playing there's servers dedicated to people just socializing and doing it

This long, but also this multiplayer. If you add true branching to an mmo either you massively increase your workload both immediately and going forward for relatively little gain or you do what iirc actually happened for a raid series and record the choices a majority make and build based on that. (Well, either that happened (and we only got one side anyway bc every majority went with the same choice) or that was planned by the guest writer and veto'd by the devs, I can't remember which.)

Branching choices that actually matter in games are a huge expenditure of resources that just are not practical on the mmo scale unless your entire mmo conceit is that no one character will be able to see the entire story, which isn't how ffxiv works.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Dressed for success in the freezing cold here

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

flatluigi posted:

Its not even about branches, but for example, two paths of light and dark ect would at least have gone a long way. I do enjoy emergent roleplaying in games like WoW

See what I did here for an example:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023933&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post529785941

I may do that here as well, but it would be nice to not just be shoehorned all the way through a story like a single player game in an MMO, but maybe thats a me thing. The story is nice, I like it, but for example in Everquest there is no story outside of what you find and the story of your character. UO as well. These are the games I come from. Your decisions matter because you gain a reputation through player interactions and faction that make you good or evil or lawful or bad or whatever and its fun to be in that mindset. It's hard when I'm saving the world by getting a block of cheese when I would rather kill the goblin and whatever the hell the short race is and be known as someone who is an evil cleric, like Viconia from Baldurs Gate lol. I know thats not what this game is but I'm just imagining a world this great with those options is all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you base your character off the guy you play in the MSQ then yeah it's very rigid. That's why 99.9% of roleplayers don't.

You can do plenty of antics like that tax collector shtick in FF14 and I know tons of people who'd love to see more of that sort of RPer, somebody looking to have fun with a sense of humor and a good idea. You get more nuance into what your character is the further you go in the game(if you want Au Ra lore you gotta clear most of Stormblood, loads of people pretending to be Garlean, etc) and virtually no RPers consider themselves the Warrior of Light/FF14 Main Character Who Hangs Out With The Scions. Hell, a lot of RPers share common consensus that certain jobs virtually don't exist because of the in-game lore based on how prevalent or super special the job is, such as Black Mage and White Mage. People love Conjurers/Geomancers and Thaumaturge RPers though.

I go to a roll fight club every Friday, it's just trading d1000s at each other but everybody socializes and we get like pro wrestler level rivalries going. I've also seen people use FF14 just to run little D&D style sessions with somebody hosting.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Doomykins posted:

If you base your character off the guy you play in the MSQ then yeah it's very rigid. That's why 99.9% of roleplayers don't.

You can do plenty of antics like that tax collector shtick in FF14 and I know tons of people who'd love to see more of that sort of RPer, somebody looking to have fun with a sense of humor and a good idea. You get more nuance into what your character is the further you go in the game(if you want Au Ra lore you gotta clear most of Stormblood, loads of people pretending to be Garlean, etc) and virtually no RPers consider themselves the Warrior of Light/FF14 Main Character Who Hangs Out With The Scions. Hell, a lot of RPers share common consensus that certain jobs virtually don't exist because of the in-game lore based on how prevalent or super special the job is, such as Black Mage and White Mage. People love Conjurers/Geomancers and Thaumaturge RPers though.

I go to a roll fight club every Friday, it's just trading d1000s at each other but everybody socializes and we get like pro wrestler level rivalries going. I've also seen people use FF14 just to run little D&D style sessions with somebody hosting.

okay this is loving awesome and exactly what I like to hear

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Crystal Data Center and Balmung/Mateus have big roleplayer communities and with world and data center travel you just gotta find groups and discords you enjoy hanging out with and you can meet up with them.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

I have actually been paid to roleplay as a wrestler with people betting on me lol

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's actually a soft rule in FFXIV public roleplaying circles that you are Not the Warrior of Light in RP contexts. It's considered very rude to just rock up and RP as the WoL without clearing it with everyone you're playing with first, which you can't really do in public RP contexts.

(I don't personally RP with randos anymore, too many bad experiences accumulated over years across multiple RP mediums, but I know people who do and it's really the only sane rule to have for a public RP setting.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

It's actually a soft rule in FFXIV public roleplaying circles that you are Not the Warrior of Light in RP contexts. It's considered very rude to just rock up and RP as the WoL without clearing it with everyone you're playing with first, which you can't really do in public RP contexts.

(I don't personally RP with randos anymore, too many bad experiences accumulated over years across multiple RP mediums, but I know people who do and it's really the only sane rule to have for a public RP setting.)

Of course, the downside to this is that it does kinda mean reacting to literally anything that happens on The First becomes taboo. You're not the Warrior of Light, and you're certainly not a Scion, so you have not been there, and hearing about what went down there is a slim chance at best.

I haven't found my way into any in-game RP outside of close friends, though. This is just me going off of what seems to be common sense with this in mind.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"You're not the Warrior of Light" is an extremely sensible community decision for FFXIV RP, but now I'm wondering if people overcompensate for that in other venues, because every time I see a funny FFXIV tweet and look at the account, it's gonna be like half tweets about how the poster's WoL is also an eldritch god and Bahamut (real one) and also a Dragon Age character and has three thousand boyfriends

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

"You're not the Warrior of Light" is an extremely sensible community decision for FFXIV RP, but now I'm wondering if people overcompensate for that in other venues, because every time I see a funny FFXIV tweet and look at the account, it's gonna be like half tweets about how the poster's WoL is also an eldritch god and Bahamut (real one) and also a Dragon Age character and has three thousand boyfriends

I doubt it, a lot of the people I've seen who really lean in on the canon WoL being ridiculous in terms of power level/everyone loving them aren't in in-game RP circles or use different characters entirely for public RP. It's just sometimes fun to let a character be overpowered in personal writing, and it's not like the actual game itself discourages it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think it’s mostly from people finally feeling free of the cringe for the first time since middle school and thus indulging the urge to have the most super special-est OC of all time.

Not personally my choice of OC building and it’s a lot of the reason my WoLs are Just a Some Dudes (minus the fact they’re both Azem because I couldn’t play favorites), but it’s a fun impulse so I can’t blame people.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

I doubt it, a lot of the people I've seen who really lean in on the canon WoL being ridiculous in terms of power level/everyone loving them aren't in in-game RP circles or use different characters entirely for public RP. It's just sometimes fun to let a character be overpowered in personal writing, and it's not like the actual game itself discourages it.

I try to keep my own character competent and dangerous in a fight, but still at least mildly grounded and reasonable in terms of power.

The most "unique" and "special" thing about them is something I would, if I were to get into public in-game RP, reserve strictly for people I know... or someone who, against all logic, were to figure out this particular fact for themselves. It's not something he advertises. At least, not overtly. There is the occasional hint that only makes sense if you already know said secret.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

God Hole posted:

and by about Heavensward you'll have enough to buy out Jonathas' whole shop and then you just accumulate coins forever after that

Spoken like someone who hasn't wallpapered their house with Agents of Inquiry.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My personal in-character joke that nobody else laughs at is always remembering the WoL as a different race/job/gender combo the rare times they get brought up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BlazetheInferno posted:

Of course, the downside to this is that it does kinda mean reacting to literally anything that happens on The First becomes taboo. You're not the Warrior of Light, and you're certainly not a Scion, so you have not been there, and hearing about what went down there is a slim chance at best.

I haven't found my way into any in-game RP outside of close friends, though. This is just me going off of what seems to be common sense with this in mind.

My retainers can do it somehow

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
played for 8 hours tonight lol oops

anyways i stopped pooping my pants over the Seat of Sacrifice guide, fired up DF and lo and behold we got it no problemo after a 15 min wait. i only died twice and second time was at 3% so who cares. Fun fight!

and then i went ahead and finished 5.3 and did 5.4 too.

tomorrow are the 5.5's and if i'm feeling froggy i may fire up my stream/record my absolutely blind entry into eeeend waaaaaaaalk eeeeerrrrrrr.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

you love to see it

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Theris posted:

You might not be there yet but at some point a stack of "Vesper Bay Aetheryte Tickets" will appear in your inventory. You can use those to teleport to right outside the waking sands.

Don’t think I noticed anyone mention this, but you can also just port to the Arcanist guild in Limsa Lominsa then head west for a bit and there’s a ferry that drops you off right at Vesper Bay

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Also as far as the titan quests are concerned, while absurdly tedious, I do appreciate that there are multiple times much later in the MSQ where you are given dialogue options for your WoL to grumble about it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

reversefungi posted:

Don’t think I noticed anyone mention this, but you can also just port to the Arcanist guild in Limsa Lominsa then head west for a bit and there’s a ferry that drops you off right at Vesper Bay

Depends on your load times. The problem with a game that can run on a potato is that some of us are playing it on potatoes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah with a fast PC with a fast SSD I am almost always the first person who loads into instances.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I've played a healer in MMOs since 1999 so I found this exchange funny:

Dungeon 1 (no deaths, no wipes, unprompted)

Tank: Mind if I offer some healing advice?
Me: Sure
Tank: make sure you are using Cure 1 to proc free cure or else you will waste too much mana
Me: Thank you

Dungeon 2 (no deaths, no wipes, unprompted)

Tank: mind if I offer some healing advice?
Me: Sure
Tank: Don't cast cure 1, just use Cure 2 and start DPSing in fights
Me: Thank you

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The second guy is right, Cure 1 is trash.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, Freecure is infamously one of the most worthless traits in the game. Even at lower levels, Cure 2 consumes so little mana that you aren't going to run out unless you are having to slam heals on the entire party for an entire fight. And from then on, you only get more and more tools to help manage your mana or get no-cost heals.

I'm leveling a WHM through StB content right now and most of healing I do is just Regen on the tank and then some Afflatus' or Cure 2's when things get spicy. That's not even optimal, pro White Mages will let the tank get as low as possible and then windmill slam Benediction.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 23, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, unlike some other games, healers in FFXIV can (and in high-end fights, must) do a decent amount of damage, and a skilled healer aims to do as much damage as possible while keeping the party alive. At max level in savage raids a healer will do something like 40-50% of the damage a DPS does. At low levels it'll be less because you lack the instant healing abilities that make this work, but even then the normal healer gameplay is to spam a damage ability and switch to healing when someone's in trouble (or use proactive things like regen to stop trouble from happening)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Second guy is 100% right. Freecure is trash, and you should be DPSing as a healer. Video related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvUOqeDwD0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It was a great newbie lesson though: don't take advice blindly, it indicates something you should think about.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The level one heals for all three of the older healers are traps after you get the upgrade and then exist to make level syncing down a nightmare. My number one wish for 7.0 is for them to remove Freecure/the Benefic I skill and make Cure I, Physick, and Benefic I change into Cure II, Aldo, and Benefic II when you learn them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

hopeandjoy posted:

The level one heals for all three of the older healers are traps after you get the upgrade and then exist to make level syncing down a nightmare. My number one wish for 7.0 is for them to remove Freecure/the Benefic I skill and make Cure I, Physick, and Benefic I change into Cure II, Aldo, and Benefic II when you learn them.
Freecure should be made into a level 15 ogcd heal that upgrades into Tetragrammaton so WHM gets a level 15 ogcd heal like Astro does.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

my ast bars are so crowded and stuff is in bad locations for me please yoship let me remove benefic 1 from my bars entirely :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you check someone's Search info, you can also see what jobs they have at what level, which doesn't inherently prove anything, but it can be useful for contextualizing someone's class-specific advice.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
One thing people get tripped up on wrt Tanking and Healing in this game vs WoW is that both roles are much more powerful. Tanks have a lot more margin for error and cooldowns are much stronger and can be done more often, so they don't need a constant stream of healing all the time. Healers also have a bunch of OGCD heals and tons of emergency tools and are encouraged to treat healing more as triage to prevent wipes rather than keeping everyone at 100%. So more often than not you'll have lots of time to just throw out dps and rack up a surprising amount of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Physic, unlike Cure and Benefic, actually has uses that its successors don't. It's not a flat upgrade.

Like Clockwork posted:

my ast bars are so crowded and stuff is in bad locations for me please yoship let me remove benefic 1 from my bars entirely :negative:

Just remove it (and undraw if you haven't) anyways. As long as you don't sync down into like 1 of 6 dungeons, you'll never even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I really don't understand why undraw is still in the game.