Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

capcom making combofiend go out in public and say that nobody cares about doctor doom or the x-men, they just care about The Functions was absolutely wild

lol they ruined his career doing that, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even if the Inhumans were mildly successful, I doubt they would stick around once Disney got the full rights to the X-Men.

Also the heroic eugenicists with a slave race are a bit of a hard sell. (Save to certain markets.)

Nuns with Guns posted:

The stuff with Cass was bullshit. And there was a big overlap in fans/editorial derision with Stephanie. I also "like" that period where Stephanie came back and was headlining a really fun Batgirl series that got obliterated by the Flashpoint reboot so that they could de-age Barbara Gordon and have her "get better" from the permanent waist-down paralysis. And that series sucked for a while until they just started writing Babs like Stephanie in her Batgirl series.

Yeah. I didn't read that Batgirl at the time because I was kind of irritated that Cass gave Steph the identity with "I'm done now" out of nowhere and just sort of vanished save for brief cameos before she got memory holed entirely. It's a shame because reading it later it was indeed a lot of fun.

The other thing with the Batgirl relaunch was Gail Simone wrote it which in theory was a great idea but in practice I'm pretty sure she was a victim of editorial writing the actual book and she basically scripting it which was certainly a thing in DiDio's tenure because the book itself was kind of a joyless affair. Before the reboot Barbara had always flatly refused comic BS cures for her paralysis like cybernetics or the Purple Healing Ray or whatever until the same cure would be widely available for everyone but oh well, I guess this Barbara didn't care about that.

Wasn't there some sort of drama behind the scenes about the Batgirl of Burnside stuff which is when in theory the series 'got good?' (It got pretty, I won't deny that.) Aside from Cameron Stewart being a sex pest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Libluini posted:

I just wish the German collections were less insane. Somehow the decision was made to put volumes together by theme, instead of in order. So now I have a slowly growing collection of books that I have to carefully study each time I buy the next one, just so I can read the stories in sequence instead of some insane order like "stories that happened in X city" or "stories that involved y alien species".

(The first collection collects the volumes 2, 7 and 14, to give you an example.) :shepface:

Edit: This means to read the volumes 1-6 in order, you need to own the collections 2, 1, 6 and 5. Because that makes sense.

Wtf why?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the inhumans are cool

this is correct, they ARE cool. They just absolutely hosed up when they brought them into the MCU by having them not behave like actual characters and by spending £2 on special effects so Gorgon had to spend most of the show with boots on so you couldn't see his bull feet, and Medusa had to have her hair cut off because it was too expensive to animate.

Also, Black Bolt, a man who has basically from birth trained to not make a sound lest he kill everyone around him gets mildly injured and goes "OOF" in a way that causes massive property damage, come on MCU, you can definitely do better than this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
EVERYONE SHUT UP AND WATCH THIS NOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S97O_bbRyA0

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The first collection book I opened started with a lengthy forword by the artist, to explain stuff about the city he set those particular stories in and why he thought that city was awesome. My guess is, the publisher Carlsen and the author at some point planned this "theming" thing out together. It's a rather cute idea, I confess, but it makes the act of actually reading the stories chronologically a huge pain in the rear end

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

But what if the batman was... A bad?

What if superheroes... but bad? is maybe my least favorite trope in all of fiction. Something about it just strikes me as being so fundamentally fallow. The writing equivalent of drooling on a countertop.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Libluini posted:

I just wish the German collections were less insane. Somehow the decision was made to put volumes together by theme, instead of in order. So now I have a slowly growing collection of books that I have to carefully study each time I buy the next one, just so I can read the stories in sequence instead of some insane order like "stories that happened in X city" or "stories that involved y alien species".

(The first collection collects the volumes 2, 7 and 14, to give you an example.) :shepface:

Edit: This means to read the volumes 1-6 in order, you need to own the collections 2, 1, 6 and 5. Because that makes sense.
To be honest from the way you describe it it just sounds like a ploy to get people to buy more books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

What if superheroes... but bad? is maybe my least favorite trope in all of fiction. Something about it just strikes me as being so fundamentally fallow. The writing equivalent of drooling on a countertop.

Mortal Kombat 1's first DLC pack has both Omni-Man and Homelander so that's two 'Evil Superman' characters which is honestly two too many.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

To be honest from the way you describe it it just sounds like a ploy to get people to buy more books.

Maybe? The reason for the collection to exist was stated to give customers a chance to get volumes that are out of print, so I guess if you're deranged enough, you might think it's a good idea to force people who only wanted certain specific volumes for their collection to buy multiple other volumes they don't need at the same time.

It's still insane, because whatever decision you make when putting those on your shelves, the line-up will either look wrong but secretly be correct, or look correct but secretly be wrong*. This is the kind of thing only a madman would think of when publishing a series of 20+ volumes. Or the Carlsen Verlag.

*there isn't actually a way to line them up in a way that is correct

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of the challenge with reprinting long series is if you start chronologically you may never get to the good stuff. Fantagraphics will do the thing where they plan out the reprints and then start by reprinting volume 7 of 20 or something, slowly working through the other 19 volumes, but again with no guarantee of the whole thing being reprinted.

This approach (reprint selected volumes by theme) can be a happy medium to get reprints on the market and actually sell books so you can continue reprinting the series.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
:siren::siren::siren:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I love how his costume looks like a tuxedo T-shirt. Also that his name is black bolt despite having no electricity powers

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, with a name like Black Bolt you'd expect a Black Lighting or Black Adam knock off/parody/ alternative whatever you call them. Like how there's the Flash and Quicksilver, I don't know what you call those.

Dawgstar posted:

Mortal Kombat 1's first DLC pack has both Omni-Man and Homelander so that's two 'Evil Superman' characters which is honestly two too many.

I think there's a difference between being evil from the beginning or a sleeper agent and just being a dark side version of the same character. Maxwell Lord brainwashes Superman into being evil? Fine, I can deal with that. Darkseid does something similar? I can see it. Evil Superman from universe 8182894's Phantom Zone? Ugh.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He's called Black Bolt because it's short for his real name: Blackagar Boltagon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

He's called Black Bolt because it's short for his real name: Blackagar Boltagon.

jack kirby was off his tits

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

image comics is good todd ftw

Also the workers at Image have a union, support them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
remember how Bone was this incredibly successful independent comic and then every single attempted adaptation of it in any form besides the original comic was a complete disaster that wound up never seeing the light of day

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, imagine a Bone movie nowadays. it'd be cool. Bone is cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A movie would probably get rid of the quiche.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

remember how Bone was this incredibly successful independent comic and then every single attempted adaptation of it in any form besides the original comic was a complete disaster that wound up never seeing the light of day

isn't this because Jeff Smith tells every single executive who's interested in adapting it "we can do this so long as you aren't planning to shove a bunch of licensed pop songs into the movie for no reason" and every single executive stands up and opens the door for him after hearing that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

some comics are just cursed, I still remember what a trip the Valerian-movie was

sadly, while I personally enjoyed the movie, most of the world's movie goers didn't agree with me, and the movie bombed harder than a thermonuclear explosion

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
it took me like 15 years to realize that Bone and Cerebus were different comics made by different people, which certainly... went different places

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

was the telltale game no good? i know it was before they found a niche footing with sam & max or broke into the mainstream with the walking dead

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

but manga...manga is ftw

:haibrow:

reading ojojojo right now and it's genuinely the best thing. nice light romcom that reminds me a lot of Calvin and Hobbes. the translator even manages to capture most of the puns and does their best to explain the tricky ones :kimchi:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol at the whole period where they tried to replace the xmen with the inhumans and tried to erase the fantastic four from comics entirely
don't worry, The Thing found work elsewhere in a really bad CG sequel to a beloved anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOM0sBPrPO4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alaois posted:

isn't this because Jeff Smith tells every single executive who's interested in adapting it "we can do this so long as you aren't planning to shove a bunch of licensed pop songs into the movie for no reason" and every single executive stands up and opens the door for him after hearing that
he's right tho

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

was the telltale game no good? i know it was before they found a niche footing with sam & max or broke into the mainstream with the walking dead
wound up never. seeing. the light. of day.

Famethrowa posted:

:haibrow:

reading ojojojo right now and it's genuinely the best thing. nice light romcom that reminds me a lot of Calvin and Hobbes. the translator even manages to capture most of the puns and does their best to explain the tricky ones :kimchi:
aside from the regular big name stuff like chainsaw man and one piece, I've been really into Iruma-kun, where a kid gets sold to satan but it turns out satan just wanted a grandson, and DANDADAN, which is a supernatural/scifi/occult/comedy series with insanely good art lately. they're both incredibly good, and there's a reason DANDADAN's thread is called DANDADAN: HOW THE gently caress IS THIS A WEEKLY SERIES:

there's so much insanely good manga coming out right now, even in genres that are considered wastelands like isekai or high school romcoms, there's still genuinely great stuff being released.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i remember it being Fine but they only ever adapted the first two volumes of the comic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The 7th Guest posted:

don't worry, The Thing found work elsewhere in a really bad CG sequel to a beloved anime
but everyone ignore that poo poo garbage, because a new netflix one piece trailer dropped and holy poo poo it looks good. and people who have already seen it are saying it's a shockingly good adaptation. I am super excited!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ades3pQbeh8&hd=1

I seriously could not think of a much worse series to try to adapt to live action, but they're genuinely putting the effort in to make it work, and having people who LOVE one piece in the cast probably helps a lot, they're going all out for it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Flying Zamboni posted:

how is this real

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Pigbuster posted:

I love how his costume looks like a tuxedo T-shirt. Also that his name is black bolt despite having no electricity powers

if he'd been a DC character they'd have corrected this oversight

and made him a black guy

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fil5000 posted:

this is correct, they ARE cool. They just absolutely hosed up when they brought them into the MCU by having them not behave like actual characters and by spending £2 on special effects so Gorgon had to spend most of the show with boots on so you couldn't see his bull feet, and Medusa had to have her hair cut off because it was too expensive to animate.
Tying things back into the Online Creator thread, a couple of really fun Online Creators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSHaCgmsrAE make the argument that the Inhumans are, in fact, not cool and are basically the reverse of a normal YA fantasy world set up; the rich and powerful royal family who rules over the poor masses are the good guys and the weirdo loner outcast who wants to tear down the system is bad actually.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Black Panther?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Libluini posted:

some comics are just cursed, I still remember what a trip the Valerian-movie was

sadly, while I personally enjoyed the movie, most of the world's movie goers didn't agree with me, and the movie bombed harder than a thermonuclear explosion
i still haven't watched it despite the valerian comics being a core memory for me as they were french, so they got into the school library despite having boobs in it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

i still haven't watched it despite the valerian comics being a core memory for me as they were french, so they got into the school library despite having boobs in it.

I don’t remember any boobs in the Valerian comics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

heroes of the equinox

also, rtgame put out 5 hours of greenscreen footage that is already paying dividends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04g6Z_pK_vs

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Alaois posted:

I mean, that's the reason 90% of the attempted adaptations don't go through, the remaining 10% are because Jeff Smith is under some kind of mummy's curse. Seriously, the most recent attempt was the comic getting picked up by Netflix for an animated series right before they killed their animation division.

American comics not made by DC and Marvel are cool, but they keep getting ignored because late stage capitalism ruins everything.

fatherboxx posted:

French comics are either cartoony adventure comics that has been going for five decades or something gorgeously drawn by someone called Raciste Incestes that is a thrilling fantasy epic with bizarre rape interludes

You forgot the third category: A cartoony adventure protagonist going around and loving a bunch of naked ladies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Garrand posted:

how is this real

Because Jack Kirby could do what he wanted.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Arc Hammer posted:

Black Panther?

Not an expert on either title but I think Black Panther, even if he's royalty he's not at least involved in maintaining a racial hierarchy or keeping an underclass, contextually has better race politics, and I think besides assuming life-threatening responsibilities as Black Panther he is at least kept accountable by politics and customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

mark gruenwald was actually the one who came up with the inhuman's "real" names in the 80s.