Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
(D15)Well that should be enough to push Kotonowaka through to Sekiwake regardless of the slot situation, 10-5 would've been a maybe but I think 11 is guaranteed. Two more tournaments like that and we might see Kotozakura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've been on team Kotonowaka from his debut, and I love seeing him fight like this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm psyched out of my mind for the kore yori san'yaku.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hoshoryu vs. Hokutofuji for the cup! Also, every conditional kanto-sho prize winner got it. Very cool tournament.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
all that just to immediately choke, give Hakuho his shikona back

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Congratulations Hoshozeki

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

anakha posted:

Congratulations Hoshozeki

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

https://twitter.com/Asashoryu/status/1683038709946679296

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gutted to se Hokutifuji stumble at the last hurdle, but Hoshoryu is so drat good, dispatching the other two contenders in anticlimactically short order

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Fantastic end to a fantastic basho. Goddamn this was a good one.

Hokuseiho got loving humbled lmao

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

QuasiQuack posted:

Fantastic end to a fantastic basho. Goddamn this was a good one.

Hokuseiho got loving humbled lmao

Midorifuji should change his shikona to Archimedes

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Holy crap that ruled. So many cool things happened this basho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sumo is good!

He better be happy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
On the one hand apparently this is more or less how Hakuho did in his Makuuchi debut, so that's cool synergy. On the other, Chokeiai

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Pakled posted:

Has a guy without a topknot ever won a Makuuchi Yusho before?

relatedly i asked tachiai if a true makuuchi rookie had ever won a yusho in his debut and this was their answer:

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1682886833158471680?s=20

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Midorifuji vs Hokuseiho is what I love about sumo.

That move by Hoshoryu on Hakuoho was so quick.

net work error fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 23, 2023

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
A very exciting last day - fun watch
even if my entire heya lost on it!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hosh had a good tournament overall, but the last few days of quick, efficient takedowns have been a step above, in my opinion. I think if he keeps that level consistently he's not stopping at Ozeki. It's a shame Hokutofuji didn't win, though. I was rooting for him.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
An incredible basho to be sure, poor Kotoeko being thrown into the crowd again lmao

Hoshoryu was the first rikishi I ever became a fan of, so I'm over the moon he won!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I really hope that Uncle will be pleased with Hoshoryu.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Vargatron posted:

I really hope that Uncle will be pleased with Hoshoryu.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As much as I have enjoyed CHAOS SUMO I hope we're entering an era of a bit more stability.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking a bit further down the banzuke and Takerufuji is still on a role he went 6-1 at Ms17 so won't get up to Juryo this time but next time should be well within the promotion zone. Could get to sekitori status before his first full year is out. Oginosho got his first yusho of any type in his 14 year career after going 7-0 in division 5. Daibasho managed to get his first KK in his second yusho, he went 4-3 in division 6, not that impressive but he is only 15.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need Takayasu to figure his poo poo out, pretty please.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

some kinda jackal posted:

I need Takayasu to figure his poo poo out, pretty please.

He might be figuring out a kabu :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

He might be figuring out a kabu :shrug:

I wasn't going to say it, but I hope he is. Lots of injuries, plus gaining a reputation for choking when he's on fire. He's had a great career and it'll be a shame if he never finishes it off with a yusho, but at the same time I wash hoping the end would come with less of a whimper..

But I mean that's just me being super pessimistic. Maybe September is the basho he pulls it together :cool: :lol:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Thinking about it more, at his rank/score at the moment he's still very comfortably in the top division, so maybe there won't actually be retirement talk until he's in danger of falling out of Makuuchi, which might still be years away.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Thinking about it more, at his rank/score at the moment he's still very comfortably in the top division, so maybe there won't actually be retirement talk until he's in danger of falling out of Makuuchi, which might still be years away.

He's also got the Ozeki grace period so he doesn't have to get Kabu sorted right away. And being BFF with the chosen one in JSA politics probably has its advantages.

Going from 5-0 to 7 straight losses would suggest something happened health wise. Hopefully it's recoverable.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hoshoryu looking murderous the entire basho then bursting into tears and hugging everyone at the end was very sweet

really cool how well the new guys did this basho

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
can't believe nobody has said nephewsho yet

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

pseudodragon posted:

He's also got the Ozeki grace period so he doesn't have to get Kabu sorted right away. And being BFF with the chosen one in JSA politics probably has its advantages.

Going from 5-0 to 7 straight losses would suggest something happened health wise. Hopefully it's recoverable.

Oh right I forgot about the 3 years thing, I keep getting mixed up and thinking you have to retire as Ozeki for it to count.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For my part I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what the heck you guys are talking about. There's some kind of ozeki grace period?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

some kinda jackal posted:

For my part I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what the heck you guys are talking about. There's some kind of ozeki grace period?

Yeah, 3 years for Ozeki and 5 years for Yokozuna, that's why Kakuryu still gets to be "Kakuryu Oyakata" right now, he has like 3~ more years left before he has to either get a Kabu or leave the sumo world (at least officially).

See the second to last paragraph on this page: http://oyakata.seisa.de/oya_howto.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heck yeah, thanks!

No matter how long I've watched, there's still something I have left to learn.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Just checking the Kabu holder list http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?sort=3 and it looks like in Nishonseki ichimon, there's one guy who's 67 and one that turns 67 in October, so even if Takayasu retires now, the old dude can still run out the clock and hand the title over when they hit mandatory retirement at 70 before Takayasu's grace period ends.

As ex-ozeki, he's probably in good shape to get the next available slot anyways (I'm assuming he won't have issues raising cash), but if not, I'm guessing that's where being buds with Kisenosato comes in and Kise can gently suggest that Takayasu would be a great successor.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Oh hey since nobody mentioned it:

AOIYAMA

Nice to see he'll be staying with us in the top division for at least a little longer, it wasn't looking good at the beginning but then he won his last 7 bouts.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oh yeah and big up asanoyama for getting 8. not often you see guys withdraw, come back, and perform to a level where people aren't constantly thinking about how unnecessarily brutal sumo is.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Marching Powder posted:

oh yeah and big up asanoyama for getting 8. not often you see guys withdraw, come back, and perform to a level where people aren't constantly thinking about how unnecessarily brutal sumo is.

I was worried to see him kyujo in the first place and while I am glad he came back and accomplished what he did, I hope it's not at the cost of greater injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I say this nearly every time, but that basho owned.

Some great new blood, a strong new Ozeki and some fantastic bouts throughout. Now the long hard wait til September.