Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

i say swears online posted:

wow you had double the down payment!!

that's a good idea, I can imagine some negative equity down-payment packages coming in the near future. Cash back when you buy a house, put your -5% payment down today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

palindrome posted:

that's a good idea, I can imagine some negative equity down-payment packages coming in the near future. Cash back when you buy a house, put your -5% payment down today!

Just pay a 20% balloon payment.

3rd72123
Jul 22, 2023
sign and drive hasn't been a thing in over 16 years

3rd72123
Jul 22, 2023
>hearing your housemates piss and poo poo above you then having them come at your door requesting to Fight at 4am

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
out of the many houses I saw today there was one that was an obvious flip that had big hgtv brain. all black and white out and in, stainless everything, the put in the tiniest fridge though.

the electrical wasn’t updated, almost every outlet wasn’t grounded.

in another house one of the supply ducts had something burst out of it and wasn’t fixed, realtor had never seen that before. no wonder it hasn’t sold in 2 months…

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I went to pick up a berry bush from someone who is moving. I ask where they're moving to and he explains he isn't sure yet but they have to move out of this rental house because the landlords are overseas and won't fix anything in the house. The shower downstairs doesn't work, and their oil heating tank leaked 400 gallons of oil into the soil and continues to do so. They alerted the city who keeps sending the landlord fines but it still won't get fixed. It's been like that for months.

Pretty cool watching all these absentee landlords rotting all this housing stock into the ground while poisoning the aquifer.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That's the Baltimore model of landlording and it's moving to the rest of the country. It's incredibly funny that whites fled the cities in the 1940s-1970s and let this poo poo happen without a single thought popping up in their brain that the landlords would do this to their new communities eventually.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And if they didn't pay the rent, the absent landlord that ignored fines would still be allowed to gently caress the tenant in the courts because the courts are judged by landlords.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

in a world where rents weren’t going straight to the moon, I actually kind of like renting an apartment. I don’t have to deal with yard maintenance, there’s property management support staff who are usually friendly and helpful, and if anything breaks then a maintenance staff person fixes it instead of me.

but alas, rents go up up up

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

in a world where rents weren’t going straight to the moon, I actually kind of like renting an apartment. I don’t have to deal with yard maintenance, there’s property management support staff who are usually friendly and helpful, and if anything breaks then a maintenance staff person fixes it instead of me.

just make more money idiot

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Ammanas posted:

just make more money idiot

this

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Having to pay to fix your own poo poo as a homeowner is the absolute worst. If tenant rights in this country didn’t suck so much poo poo, there’s a high chance I wouldn’t have ever bought.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol what the gently caress is happening in Iowa when twelve stairs you might climb a few times a week are just too many stairs for people approaching the ripe old age of 40

with the way covid is disabling people the stairs will be a valid complaint for all ages soon enough

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nearly half a million for a house made of plastic in iowa on a lot with no trees

lol

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Having to pay to fix your own poo poo as a homeowner is the absolute worst. If tenant rights in this country didn’t suck so much poo poo, there’s a high chance I wouldn’t have ever bought.

I just spent the afternoon replacing my hot water tank, it sucked and it definitely wasn't cheap to get a decent replacement unit. I'm still ahead considering the equity I've built and the fact that my mortgage premiums are cheaper than my rent was, but unexpected 4 digit expenses really do suck. Your options are basically

A) Buy if you're able to and eat the maintenance costs, but have relatively stable month-to-month housing costs for 30 years (taxes and insurances goes up but not like rent does, unless you're in Florida I guess)
B) Rent whatever you're able to afford, until you're squeezed out and then move somewhere shittier. Repeat every ~5 years until you're dead.

Kibbles n Shits has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Jul 24, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I just spent the afternoon replacing my hot water tank, it sucked and it definitely wasn't cheap to get a decent replacement unit. I'm still ahead considering the equity I've built and the fact that my mortgage premiums are cheaper than my rent was, but unexpected 4 digit expenses really do suck. Your options are basically

A) Buy if you're able to and eat the maintenance costs, but have relatively stable month-to-month housing costs for 30 years (taxes and insurances goes up but not like rent does, unless you're in Florida I guess)
B) Rent whatever you're able to afford, until you're squeezed out and then move somewhere shittier. Repeat every ~5 years until you're dead.

Did you consider a tankless water heating system? I dream of the day I can put one in. They're magical.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

A Bad King posted:

Did you consider a tankless water heating system? I dream of the day I can put one in. They're magical.

I did, but for various reasons I had to go with another standard 40 gallon tank just to get back up and running today but when this one goes out, I am absolutely going tankless. edit: or possibly a heat pump system

Kibbles n Shits has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Jul 24, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonna convince my friends to go in on this with me

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/110-Riverview-Dr-Newton-AL-36352/113732337_zpid/

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I did, but for various reasons I had to go with another standard 40 gallon tank just to get back up and running today but when this one goes out, I am absolutely going tankless. edit: or possibly a heat pump system

Finding the space and place for the huge currant draw is hard. It's a project. Having that, and a EV fast charger, are hard to put into the typical service line.

Edit: keeping in the misspelling because currants are delicious.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Counterpoint: I lived in a trailer park and the power equipment that belonged to the park failed and it took me 5 years of fighting with the slum lord to fix it. If it was my responsibility I could have had it fixed way, way sooner. Living in a trailer park was all the bad parts of home ownership (paying for repairs on top of a lot rent), and none of the good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Bad King posted:

I hate my tankless water heater. We've got a Navien NPE-240A, a big 199k BTU/H unit, and it's been an expensive pain. It has failed twice during parts warranty, and they won't send a homeowner parts, but only a licensed plumber. One of those was more than $750 in labor across 4 visits, including the 4th visit that I refused to pay for because it only happened because they did something wrong on the 3rd visit.

Water pressure varies when another big tap turns on, which means you get weird stuff and temperature fluctuations happening when someone else is using hot water. During the coldest part of winter it doesn't get the water fully up to temperature. It's vastly more complicated, but isn't really designed to be serviced, so when it broke one of those two times they just sent me a whole new motherboard, a part that apparently would have been about $500 if I had to pay for it. If you get a lovely plumber like I did, they won't be great at the "swapping motherboards and setting up firmware" part. Also, you lose hot water when the power goes out, unless you want to put it on a battery backup.

Anyway, I wish we had a plain tank water heater. Would have been cheaper to buy, and any lifetime efficiency savings have been entirely eaten by repair labor costs during warranty. I dread the next time this piece of poo poo breaks, because it's out of parts warranty now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Hybrid tank water heaters are better anyway if you just really want to blow a bunch of money to save energy.

Aside from that, tankless heaters don't have that many benefits unless you're a crazy person installing point-of-use units all over your house for literal instant hot water. And I guess if you just really, desperately need to reclaim the space your storage tank unit is using.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Twerk from Home posted:

I hate my tankless water heater. We've got a Navien NPE-240A, a big 199k BTU/H unit, and it's been an expensive pain. It has failed twice during parts warranty, and they won't send a homeowner parts, but only a licensed plumber. One of those was more than $750 in labor across 4 visits, including the 4th visit that I refused to pay for because it only happened because they did something wrong on the 3rd visit.

Water pressure varies when another big tap turns on, which means you get weird stuff and temperature fluctuations happening when someone else is using hot water. During the coldest part of winter it doesn't get the water fully up to temperature. It's vastly more complicated, but isn't really designed to be serviced, so when it broke one of those two times they just sent me a whole new motherboard, a part that apparently would have been about $500 if I had to pay for it. If you get a lovely plumber like I did, they won't be great at the "swapping motherboards and setting up firmware" part. Also, you lose hot water when the power goes out, unless you want to put it on a battery backup.

Anyway, I wish we had a plain tank water heater. Would have been cheaper to buy, and any lifetime efficiency savings have been entirely eaten by repair labor costs during warranty. I dread the next time this piece of poo poo breaks, because it's out of parts warranty now.

Huh. Thank you for sharing!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The place we were renting previously had a gas powered 'instant' hot water system instead of a tank, and it sucked. It would take ages of running cold water through the hot tap before it kicked in and started heating up, it was super sensitive to water flow if other people turned on a hot tap elsewhere, and it would shut off if the hot water flow rate got too low and never start heating again until the flow rate increased.

So if we were hand washing dishes first it would take ages running cold water out before it would kick on and start heating, then if you ever turned the hot tap off it would stop and you'd have to run a bunch of water through again before it started heating again, and if you ever turned the hot tap down to too-low of a flow rate it would stop heating and the water would go cold until you increased the flow rate again.

I'm sure most of those issues were down to it being an old or cheap unit, but much happier with the water tank we have now from a usability perspective. It's a gas-fired hot water tank, which is something I hadn't seen before and I have no idea what if any advantages that has over electric.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
That bubble popped. I'll put that on the pyre of home improvement fantasy along with the ground sourced heat pump and wind turbines on each corner of my lot.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

A Bad King posted:

That bubble popped. I'll put that on the pyre of home improvement fantasy along with the ground sourced heat pump and wind turbines on each corner of my lot.

I bought an electric tankless water heater for my 1970s ranch with almost 3k sqft. It provided hot water the same as a traditional water heater, small lead up while cooler water cleared the pipes, but ran just as hot with the same water pressure and heat longevity (whatever those metrics are actually called). I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

I did splurge for a really nice model with the highest flow rate because my life falls apart without a steaming hot shower every day. I will not survive any kind of decline or fall of our empire.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And to be that guy, they are comparatively terrible for the environment, using about twice as many watt hours per degree gallon

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

e: nvm

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Jul 24, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm in love

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8170-E-Joiner-St-Chase-MI-49623/106425794_zpid/

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I'm sure this is in absolute hell but I am legitimately jealous of anywhere that you can buy a house this nice for <$500k.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Not bad if you don’t mind being in the middle of bumfuck nowhere (I am tempted sometimes)

Apr 7, 2003

Get it now before Bumfuck Nowhere is just as bad as any medium-or-larger sized city

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/308-S-Main-St_Shenandoah_PA_17976_M45794-14901?from=srp-list-card

quote:

Welcome to this meticulously restored and charming circa 1884 Victorian home, tucked away down a quiet street on a picturesque property, dotted with stunning 130-year-old sugar maples, conveniently located on a county maintained paved road. This historic home has undergone extensive renovations and upgrades, making it a perfect blend of timeless elegance and modern convenience. Inside the house, you'll find custom-built cabinets and a fireplace surround with built-in bookshelves, adding functional elegance to the living space. The parlor also boasts custom-built shelving, giving the next owner generous storage options. For cozy winter nights, a new propane fireplace with reclaimed vintage brick veneer surrounds and a concrete countertop hearth offers a warm and inviting ambiance. The main floor bathroom holds a special piece of history as the home's original kitchen sink, which has been carefully repurposed with a custom-built vanity crafted from salvaged 130+ year old wood from the house renovation, adding a unique touch of character. Every room in the house has been thoughtfully wired for internet and cable TV, (high speed fiber available) ensuring that modern connectivity is available wherever you need it. Step into the heart of the home, where you'll find a brand-new custom hardwood kitchen featuring butcher block countertops and a farmhouse sink. The kitchen is equipped with top-of-the-line Frigidaire professional stainless steel appliances, making it a chef's dream come true. New soft-close cabinets provide functionality and elegance. The charm of the original wood windows has been preserved and meticulously restored, re-glazed, and fitted with new spring bronze weather stripping to ensure a seamless blend of history and modern efficiency. Additionally, the bathrooms have been completely redone with new tile showers, flooring, and fixtures. The upstairs bathroom features a beautiful custom mosaic tile floor, while the downstairs bath and laundry room boast blue slate flooring. The main floor has been graced with new flooring, and throughout the dining and living rooms crown molding has been tastefully installed, complementing the restored original wood trim found in various parts of the house, including stacked window and door trim, thoughtfully recreated to match the home's original design. The second floor features original wood floors, beautifully refinished to their former glory, preserving the house's historical character. The original stairs, spindles, and railing have also been lovingly restored, adding to the home's unique charm. As a delightful bonus, most of the furniture, along with the refrigerator and washer/dryer, can be conveyed with the house with the right offer, making it an enticing and hassle-free move-in opportunity. The house boasts new electric wiring with a 200 amp service, and it even features a 2" conduit thoughtfully installed for potential future additions like a garage or outbuilding. Additionally, the entire plumbing system has been replaced, ensuring worry-free usage, and a brand-new water heater provides efficient and reliable hot water supply throughout the home. Keeping energy efficiency in mind, the property boasts new high-efficiency furnaces, each with separate systems for the main floor and upstairs, and has been outfitted to facilitate central air. The energy-efficient measures extend to the insulation, with closed cell spray foam installed in the walls, crawl space, foundation (reinforced with concrete) and HVAC ducting, ensuring optimal temperature control and cost savings. The exterior of the house showcases new LP smart siding, enhancing both durability and curb appeal. The front and side entry doors have been custom-made with stunning stained glass inserts, leaving you with a lasting first impression. Step outside and enjoy the fresh air on the brand new porches and deck, offering an ideal setting for relaxation or entertainment. This immaculately restored piece of history is a true gem, blending historical charm and modern convenience. Whether you're a history enthusiast or simply seeking a meticulously renovated home with a story to tell, this property offers the perfect blend of old-world elegance and contemporary living. Don't miss the chance to call this beautiful house your home. Schedule a tour today and step back in time with all the comforts of the present!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I loving hate HGTV brain. my very well maintained 1927 house got some feedback that the bathrooms should be more updated. it’s 2 loving full baths in a 1920’s home that were updated in probably the 70s but look fine and functional. I replaced some hardware due to age but like wth. also they are a little on the small size so if you are large it is a problem I guess.

I told my realtor if people want a 1920s HGTV home then they gonna have to pay way more than our asking in a different neighborhood . could be a bunch of first time buyers as well.

I just hope we get 1 offer. late July is just weird for listing houses I think. our street was the hotness for like 4 years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

drat yeah sucks that you have an awesome home

sending thoughts and prayers

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I loving hate HGTV brain. my very well maintained 1927 house got some feedback that the bathrooms should be more updated. it’s 2 loving full baths in a 1920’s home that were updated in probably the 70s but look fine and functional. I replaced some hardware due to age but like wth. also they are a little on the small size so if you are large it is a problem I guess.

I told my realtor if people want a 1920s HGTV home then they gonna have to pay way more than our asking in a different neighborhood . could be a bunch of first time buyers as well.

I just hope we get 1 offer. late July is just weird for listing houses I think. our street was the hotness for like 4 years.

The couple checking out this house before us walked out three minutes into the viewing because they saw hot water radiators

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The couple checking out this house before us walked out three minutes into the viewing because they saw hot water radiators

so a lot of houses in my price point had electrical floor radiators which I had one a long time ago in a slummy apt so I didn’t know how they were in houses and to my surprise they don’t dry the air out as much in the winter and I can control per room so I could do zone heating. so if I don’t win this house I’m bidding on (has forced air) I’m
not going to disqualify floor radiators .

I haven’t seen any hot water ones in my house hunt but the inventory where I’m looking bottoms out at the 1960s.

Apr 7, 2003

Hot water heat is installed all the time in newish housing in other parts of the world, they just don't install it in the US because housing here is slapped together and put up as cheaply as possible and hot water is expensive to install.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm installing an on demand heater next month, will let y'all know how lovely it is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Blackhawk posted:

I'm sure most of those issues were down to it being an old or cheap unit, but much happier with the water tank we have now from a usability perspective. It's a gas-fired hot water tank, which is something I hadn't seen before and I have no idea what if any advantages that has over electric.

cheaper to run, and you'll have hot water when the power's out. also can cause an explosion if you try to gas up a lawnmower in your garage or something

they're all over the gulf coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The price reflects being only steps away from Kowalonek's Kielbasy Shop!

The more I look at that store, the more I want to go there...