Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dimension of the Machine is arguably the best officially released Quake level pack ever made. However, it also contains one of the worst officially released Quake levels ever, Hell or Dark Water. A level so bad that I remember its name while I don't remember the name of a single other level in that entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't remember hating "Hell or Dark Water" but I do remember thinking it had a very odd flow to it that I didn't find particularly appealing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally playing Slayers X on game pass and there is a weird bug where a sprite of a dead jester hat will be alive, invincible, partially in the floor, and able to attack me when I reload a save.

Other than that this is pretty good fun and an extremely impressive game in that while it captures the feel of what it is level design is pretty clear and consistent so far so its never as confusing as it appears.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Barudak posted:

Finally playing Slayers X on game pass and there is a weird bug where a sprite of a dead jester hat will be alive, invincible, partially in the floor, and able to attack me when I reload a save.

Other than that this is pretty good fun and an extremely impressive game in that while it captures the feel of what it is level design is pretty clear and consistent so far so its never as confusing as it appears.

are you on game pass for PC? can you check if the main menu says 021 or 029? I just watched a stream and somehow it was on 021, which is a version from a month before launch and they had to delete it and reinstall to get it to update.

the GP version has been a bit of a struggle to get up to parity with the Steam version. our publisher has a porting team working on it and they're doing their best but it's a slow process. it's 95% there but you will see weird things like enemies in the floor on occasion. They have another patch coming to fix that but it shoooould be perfectly playable.

glad you're enjoying though!

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Slayers X was fun the whole way through and I'm looking forward to playing it again! My only criticism would be that I feel the glass sharts don't have quite enough punch to them. Is there any way to modify the damage values through modding please?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
nah tho we're probably gonna be adding accessibility menus with stuff like that in an update. tho I will say that the glass blasta has a pretty wide cone. all but three enemies can be one-shotted by it if you're really close to them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

are you on game pass for PC? can you check if the main menu says 021 or 029? I just watched a stream and somehow it was on 021, which is a version from a month before launch and they had to delete it and reinstall to get it to update.

the GP version has been a bit of a struggle to get up to parity with the Steam version. our publisher has a porting team working on it and they're doing their best but it's a slow process. it's 95% there but you will see weird things like enemies in the floor on occasion. They have another patch coming to fix that but it shoooould be perfectly playable.

glad you're enjoying though!

Z029 on PC. Not sure if the needle-head melee psikos are also supposed to keep shouting gibberish after death, but thats not an issue.

Can I specifically compliment the art assets which are fake "real" products then hastily edited over to make the final joke in game? Its hard to describe but its the exact thing a lazy modder would have done with real products that I had to spend time looking at all the ones I could find.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

1stGear posted:

Dimension of the Machine is arguably the best officially released Quake level pack ever made. However, it also contains one of the worst officially released Quake levels ever, Hell or Dark Water. A level so bad that I remember its name while I don't remember the name of a single other level in that entire game.

That one involved a lot of terrible platforming over lava, right? If so, yeah that was awful. The rest was great.

I'm going to be on a Deus Ex kick soon. I got Human Revolution Director's Cut for super cheap on the last Steam sale, and I'm planning on replaying the original with the GMDX mod that overhauls a lot of mechanical stuff. I love DX, but honestly getting into an actual fight was the worst part. The clunky combat's the one thing that keeps me from going back nowadays.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Grimthwacker posted:

That one involved a lot of terrible platforming over lava, right? If so, yeah that was awful. The rest was great.

Bad platforming, bad encounter design, poor flow, and bad aesthetic. Its the only bad level in the mission pack, but its just really jarring especially because I think it comes immediately after one of the best levels in the pack which was a real cool level that had strong Dark Souls vibes both in its visuals and design.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm going to be on a Deus Ex kick soon. I got Human Revolution Director's Cut for super cheap on the last Steam sale, and I'm planning on replaying the original with the GMDX mod that overhauls a lot of mechanical stuff. I love DX, but honestly getting into an actual fight was the worst part. The clunky combat's the one thing that keeps me from going back nowadays.

Don't sleep on Mankind Divided. It got a bad rap for a rushed ending (which wasn't even that bad imo) when the overall game is actually quite good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
from what i recall playing it last year md absolutely literally just dead ends but yeah up until that the game is good

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I remember the last mission at least feeling like a final mission. It's just that you kill the final boss and then the game just kinda ends. I got the impression that people thought it was a 2/3rds finished game that was rushed out. It's actually pretty substantial.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Man, I've tried to get into DE:HR three different times over the course of 10 years and bounced off it every single time. The game just feels....boring?

Furthest I've gotten was bopping around in the Chinese mega city.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s really boring. Cyberpunk did everything that HR tried to do but way more fun

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s really boring. Cyberpunk did everything that HR tried to do but way more fun

Being boring is an intentional design choice. Adam Jensen didn't ask for this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's always been a bummer to me that with the increased complexity of game development, the scope and scale of these games can suffer. And in a game like Deus Ex, the globetrotting really enhances the credibility of these sweeping, NWO/Illuminati conspiracies.

Like with the original Deus Ex, it feels like a genuine globetrotting adventure: Numerous spaces in New York, Hong Kong, Paris...you've got an ocean base, Area 51, a bunch of other locations dotting the United States...then you hit HR and it's like, Detroit, China, Detroit, China. I haven't played MD but is it mostly in Prague?

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I enjoyed Cyberpunk more overall but found Deus Ex more memorable because of the smaller scale/level of detail and more mechanically significant cyberware.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
deus ex: hr and md had top tier music imo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I like Cyberpunk in scale and story but mechanically the gameplay was nowhere near DX:HR.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's always been a bummer to me that with the increased complexity of game development, the scope and scale of these games can suffer. And in a game like Deus Ex, the globetrotting really enhances the credibility of these sweeping, NWO/Illuminati conspiracies.

Like with the original Deus Ex, it feels like a genuine globetrotting adventure: Numerous spaces in New York, Hong Kong, Paris...you've got an ocean base, Area 51, a bunch of other locations dotting the United States...then you hit HR and it's like, Detroit, China, Detroit, China. I haven't played MD but is it mostly in Prague?

Prague seems like it could be a super cool locale in a cyberpunk game. Get a good mix of old school old world feel and gussy it up with neon and hacking shenanigans. How can you gently caress that up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like hr/md but pressing q to spin a guy around and punch in the face silently 1000 times wasn't quite as fun as hitting bullet time and using hand whips to slap guys so hard they explode and destroying entire groups in 20 seconds

site fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

deus ex: hr and md had top tier music imo

yeah the soundtrack owns

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the biggest problems those games have is like actually rewarding you for doing stuff stealthily instead of having it just be a choice. the toys you play with in FPS games are almost universally weapons, and having deus ex HR/MD say 'ok look at these but do everything stealthy and just crouch around and press Q if you want the best rewards'. and the rewards are ironically guns and cyberware you dont get to play with either.

HR is a blast if you just go loud. the typhon system is super fun and the fatal melee moves are all much cooler than the class hollywood punch-of-infinite-knockout

edit: all the deus ex games have had astounding music. hearing this main menu music when i first booted up deus ex as a kid really told me i was in for some serious poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9PJNF3sE0

idk if i can express how crazy deus ex was at the time. I'd played system shock 2, I'd played half life, but this living huge world full of responsive events was just so far above anything I'd experienced before in terms of scope and narrative. even replaying it now I am surprised at some of the paths they accounted for you taking through the game, like I did a run where i stayed loyal to UNATCO as long as possible and i got really fuckin far before it mildly railroaded me. and even then the railroading felt like you, JC Denton, were being railroaded by a corrupt organisation, not so much that the player themself is being railroaded.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the biggest problems those games have is like actually rewarding you for doing stuff stealthily instead of having it just be a choice. the toys you play with in FPS games are almost universally weapons, and having deus ex HR/MD say 'ok look at these but do everything stealthy and just crouch around and press Q if you want the best rewards'. and the rewards are ironically guns and cyberware you dont get to play with either.

honestly after this you can't unsee it (timestamped at relevant section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA&t=8123s

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

site posted:

honestly after this you can't unsee it (timestamped at relevant section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA&t=8123s

yeah i feel like 90% of my playtime in the action areas was just crawling thru vents and periodically stealth punching a guy in the rear end

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
DXHR is very much a product of its time design-wise, but it's still one of the better PS3-era games I think. There was basically no chance that a game from that era was ever going to have the same level of open-endedness (for better and worse) as the original PC game. It was still part of that "consolized" era where PC games were being designed specifically around being able to run on much lower-end consoles and made major compromises as a result. Still, aside from the poorly executed outsourced boss fights, I thought the game was pretty drat fun from start to end, doing both a pacifist/ghost playthrough and a guns blazing playthrough. Even in my stealth playthroughs I generally made an effort to incapacitate everyone instead of just skipping past everything in the vents, because that's fun.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I think Eidos Montreal did the best with what they could with Human Revolution. As mentioned earlier, designing for both PC and console was a factor, but it did manage to hit that right Deus Ex spot most of the time. I had a blast with two runs going a stealthy as possible and going loud whenever I could. Of course replaying again after such a long time might change my opinion. Rose-tinted glasses and all that.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Average 0eople are starting to wake up to the fact that DLC is a messed up business.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a very fun game with some rough edges that should have been turned into a fantastic sequel.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is what happens when your publisher fucks up the direction for a game, but you still manage to sneak in one really loving good completely optional cyberpunk as gently caress piece of world building that would have made for a fantastic sequel.

Cyberpunk 2077 was genuinely a really good game, partially because its so easy and morality free you feel insanely deadly with every possible combat path you take, even if its open world and I couldn't loving ignore Johnny Silverhand who the game thought I would think was super cool gently caress you buddy.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Adam Jensen is my best friend and I will hear no one speak poorly of him.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Barudak posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 was genuinely a really good game, partially because its so easy and morality free you feel insanely deadly with every possible combat path you take, even if its open world and I couldn't loving ignore Johnny Silverhand who the game thought I would think was super cool gently caress you buddy.

This take is really at odds with my experience - Johnny was painted as a washed up loser who hosed up everything he touched. He wasn't even a good musician by most people's recollection.

Also the easy nature of the gameplay isn't a good thing. poo poo gets very boring when all you have to do to clear a base of gangsters is to blink and everyone's head explodes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Also the easy nature of the gameplay isn't a good thing. poo poo gets very boring when all you have to do to clear a base of gangsters is to blink and everyone's head explodes.

Yeah I feel similar; unless something is incredibly compelling narrative-wise--in which case I suppose I treat it more like an interactive movie--I inevitably zone out if the gameplay doesn't challenge me in some way. I kind of hate feeling like the most powerful thing in the room, particularly if I don't think it's been earned.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I went full quickhacking in my playthrough which was fun in theory, but really all I did was put poison on whatever person I could see, watch it spread throughout the entire complex and gradually knock out everyone. Half the time I was doing it through security cameras while hidden safely in a booth where I had to knock out exactly one person (also with quickhacking, probably).

I didn't have to do that, but it was weirdly satisfying in a game-breaking way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Imo the way that the several different combat systems were all viable was a big plus, through I never got a good handle on the sword techniques, but I agree that the game definitely does not ever try to make the player think Johnny is cool. In fact it kinda really beats it over your head that he isn't

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Volte posted:

DXHR is very much a product of its time design-wise, but it's still one of the better PS3-era games I think. There was basically no chance that a game from that era was ever going to have the same level of open-endedness (for better and worse) as the original PC game. It was still part of that "consolized" era where PC games were being designed specifically around being able to run on much lower-end consoles and made major compromises as a result. Still, aside from the poorly executed outsourced boss fights, I thought the game was pretty drat fun from start to end, doing both a pacifist/ghost playthrough and a guns blazing playthrough. Even in my stealth playthroughs I generally made an effort to incapacitate everyone instead of just skipping past everything in the vents, because that's fun.

HR at least had larger levels and less console blight than fuckin IW, poor thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

This take is really at odds with my experience - Johnny was painted as a washed up loser who hosed up everything he touched. He wasn't even a good musician by most people's recollection.

When I played, so it might have been changed, you werent allowed to destroy or put into a vault any of Johnny's stuff, you were required to carry it with you. There are mandatory plot quests that are just "you must hang out with Johnny". Like I know it would undermine their voice acting but I really wanted a "just take the pill now and shut him up" cutscene skipper for him only.

The easiness of the game was more that I appreciated a) no penalty for using all of your hella lethal toys and b) you were guaranteed to get your gameplay fantasy since all of it works. Ive played way, way too many rpgs where I invest in doomed characters that I was very pleasantly surprised with cyberpunk. In my ideal world the new DLC and combat rebalance will provide a more advanced challenge, though.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 24, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im very surprised anyone posting in this thread doesnt have a copy of HEXEN.wad, ive bought hexen like 3 times in my life and have the giant cardboard box in my house, and im pretty sure ive accidentally acquired it a few times as well while getting packaged versions of sourceports

it just seems like something you pick up in life, like chickenpox

Early FPS Megathread: HEXEN.WAD is something you pick up like chickenpox

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You just wake up one morning feeling itchy and sore, and realize you're covered in tiny switches.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

When life covers you in switches, start flicking them and see what they open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The Kins posted:

You just wake up one morning feeling itchy and sore, and realize you're covered in tiny switches.

You lay dying in bed, begging for swift relief from the itch

God's face appears to you