Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1683115735189540865

Awesome to see Frelick have an incredible debut. High ranked prospect but was having a rough year in AAA after busting up his thumb. Finally started getting healthy and getting his hand strength back so got his shot in MLB last night.

drat what a debut. Must have felt like he was on top of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: :sweep::sweep::sweep:

V: :hellyeah:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves grabbed Yonny Chirinos off waivers, dunno what they think they can get out of him that the Rays couldn't or maybe they're just hoping they could run him through themselves and stash him at AAA, but the way they've been burning through pitchers recently I guess it can't hurt

edit: hmm looks like they might try him as a spot starter / long reliever while waiting for folks to get back, i mean he can't be substantially worse than the other options have been https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1683237165306634240?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Heck yeeeeah

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taillon got a win for the cubs on a Sunday.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Taillon got a win for the cubs on a Sunday.

The Cubs are now 1-8 at home on Sundays! :toot:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think that Twins/Sox series was entirely too close, but I'll take a sweep regardless of it being 1 run or 8 runs each.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
An actual good team would hand Bellinger a blank check instead of trading him.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The cardinals are bad

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

An actual good team would hand Bellinger a blank check instead of trading him.

They can still do both, as long as they re-sign him after the season ends. Same with Stroman.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow it's official: the cubs own

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it pains and disgusts me to say this but this is a forum for truth: the powder blue cardinals road jerseys are incredible.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

it pains and disgusts me to say this but this is a forum for truth: the powder blue cardinals road jerseys are incredible.

all powder blue jerseys own, the Phillies ones do too

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow it's official: the cubs own

Many people are saying this

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah they rule

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Shocked the Os took 3/4 of that series.

Fuckin pumped tho :smugbird:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was cool seeing the Cubs take a home series vs the Cards because you better believe the Reds are going to Batista Bomb them right into the sellers column starting tomorrow.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm pumped as hell to have taken 3 from Tampa but I swear to God this team is going to give me an aneurysm. They just refuse to have easy games, seemingly going out of their way to let the other team back in. Winning 5-0 in the 7th? Well that simply won't do, let's give up five runs so we can win 6-5 in the 10th instead.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

It was cool seeing the Cubs take a home series vs the Cards because you better believe the Reds are going to Batista Bomb them right into the sellers column starting tomorrow.

Starting a week from tomorrow.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
God this is cringe.

https://twitter.com/mlblife/status/1683295011096371200?s=46&t=6jG3azctmf9ULNpQ002qHg

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's time for an insanely depressing but probably funny red line series

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Starting a week from tomorrow.

lol drat for some reason I had it in my head it was the reds next. Cardinals than Sox than Cardinals again, hey MLB scheduling algorithm how about you go gently caress yourself.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It's very funny that they scheduled the Cubs against these even worse teams right before the trade deadline so that they have the opportunity to gently caress it up and sit on their assets and go into next season in an even worse position.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This upcoming week better be full of wtf trades because drat its been slow

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1683303857416282119

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Christian Vasquez :smith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Missed that Daysbel Hernandez got his MLB debut today, bullpen guys generally don't end up on prospect lists (and he's already 26 besides) but he's been torching everyone this year after he lost 2022 to TJ recovery, and he struck out the side in order today. If he can keep the walks down he should be a really valuable piece of the pen the rest of the way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

R.D. Mangles posted:

Best jersey in baseball yeah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1683326482767286272

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TTOhtani

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm really enjoying how consistently the O's are winning. It's dope as hell. I'm a little worried about the company that their run differential puts them in, though. Their record is 61-38, clearly excellent, and beats or nearly matches the records of the Rangers, Braves, Dodgers, and Rays. Those four teams all have a differential of over +100, though, and three of them have a differential of +144 or higher, while the Orioles's is only a Cubs-and-Twins-esque +44. My baseball knowledge is pretty superficial, but it looks to me like they're really exceeding their expected wins, which is unlikely to continue. OTOH it has already continued for more than half of the season, so they're clearly doing a lot of things right. Maybe I should just enjoy this while I can, but what kind of sports fan would I be then?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm really enjoying how consistently the O's are winning. It's dope as hell. I'm a little worried about the company that their run differential puts them in, though. Their record is 61-38, clearly excellent, and beats or nearly matches the records of the Rangers, Braves, Dodgers, and Rays. Those four teams all have a differential of over +100, though, and three of them have a differential of +144 or higher, while the Orioles's is only a Cubs-and-Twins-esque +44. My baseball knowledge is pretty superficial, but it looks to me like they're really exceeding their expected wins, which is unlikely to continue. OTOH it has already continued for more than half of the season, so they're clearly doing a lot of things right. Maybe I should just enjoy this while I can, but what kind of sports fan would I be then?

A good bullpen, which they have, can really throw off the Pythagorean stuff.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The models really do not trust our starting pitching, as best as I understand. Which, you know, fair, I also don't trust them all that much. But also, like... Clearly something seems wrong if you're looking at a team that went 60-36 and you're insisting that ACTUALLY they're definitely going to play sub-500 ball the rest of the way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The O's are the luckiest team according to Pythagorean W-L (at 7 wins above their expected) but

Well Played Mauer posted:

A good bullpen, which they have, can really throw off the Pythagorean stuff.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Okay, interesting. I can see how a good bullpen means that you can get yourself a one or two run lead and then just lock it down and ride that out, which doesn't do much for your expected wins but definitely helps out in the wins that occurred in reality column.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Rockies traded Prince Albert to Atlanta

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1683503259825078274?s=20

any of y'all know much about the two guys from the Braves?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Who is Johnson?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Poque posted:

Who is Johnson?

Pierce Johnson https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnspi01.shtml

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

will_colorado posted:

Rockies traded Prince Albert to Atlanta

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1683503259825078274?s=20

any of y'all know much about the two guys from the Braves?

Relievers. Vodnik might be something but I wouldn’t bet on the Rockies unlocking it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The O's are the luckiest team according to Pythagorean W-L (at 7 wins above their expected) but

IIRC, this is how the made it to the playoffs last decade, too. They just beat Mr. Pythagoras into a pulp with a good bullpen.