Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Blows my mind that Starscream was the original Mr. Burns. Cartoon history probably would have been really different if he hadn’t overdosed.

EDIT: also apparently Chris Latta was fired from voicing Mr. Burns before he died, probably because the drugs made him hard to work with.

the simpsons was in season 5 when chris latta died lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I... I didn't even know Mr. Burns had a different voice actor to start. I knew Moe did but thanks thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

Yeah, I never heard him post-1990 and just assumed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mooseontheloose posted:

I... I didn't even know Mr. Burns had a different voice actor to start. I knew Moe did but thanks thread.

Early Harry Shearer Burns sounds a lot like season 1 Burns.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Alaois posted:

So long ago in fact that he doesn't even have an IMDB page; the only Chris Latta on there is a camera technician. I had to look him up, his name is Collins?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't G1 Starscream also Cobra Commander? Later season Transformers even had totally-not-Cobra-Commander show up as Old Snake. (Metal Gear jokes are almost too easy)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't G1 Starscream also Cobra Commander? Later season Transformers even had totally-not-Cobra-Commander show up as Old Snake. (Metal Gear jokes are almost too easy)

Yep. And the totally-not-CC was so unsubtle that the character complains that they don't make terrorists like they used to, then wheeze-chokes out an attempt at a cry of "Coooobra!" He was also one of the "NOMA'AM" members in Married With Children, among other things. It was apparently a pretty common thing for someone to have to go bail Chris Latta out of jail before G1 Transformers recording sessions. Can't imagine it was any different for GI Joe.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i remember there was some panel with the Transformers voice actors, and someone asked Peter Cullen about working with Chris Latta. In true Prime fashion, Cullen said something like the industry could be horrible to people, and that was all he'd say. No smack talk, no insults to Latta, etc.

I want to say the specific quote was along the lines of Latta being a victim of Hollywood's tendency to devour its young. Susan Blu had nothing but nice things to say about him too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait, wasn't it straight up Silver Mask Cobra Commander, like they werent even pretending it wasn't him? Just that it was 20 years in the future and Cobra just wasn't a thing anymore?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zebulon posted:

Yep. And the totally-not-CC was so unsubtle that the character complains that they don't make terrorists like they used to, then wheeze-chokes out an attempt at a cry of "Coooobra!" He was also one of the "NOMA'AM" members in Married With Children, among other things. It was apparently a pretty common thing for someone to have to go bail Chris Latta out of jail before G1 Transformers recording sessions. Can't imagine it was any different for GI Joe.

And now I'm picturing the Decepticons/COBRA having to bail Starscream/Cobra Commander out of jail before every scheme. Probably in-character for both.

Randalor posted:

Wait, wasn't it straight up Silver Mask Cobra Commander, like they werent even pretending it wasn't him? Just that it was 20 years in the future and Cobra just wasn't a thing anymore?

Only to a barely plausibly deniable point, pretty much. Hasbro owns both franchises after all, hence the frequent crossovers. Earlier episodes also had the occasional hint that they shared a universe way before, too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Torquemada posted:

So long ago in fact that he doesn't even have an IMDB page; the only Chris Latta on there is a camera technician. I had to look him up, his name is Collins?

He used Christopher Collins when he did stand up comedy and Chris Latta when he did voice acting because there was already a Chris Collins in the guild

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait wait wait

the guy who played starscream/cobra commander also voiced mr. burns until season5??

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

wait wait wait

the guy who played starscream/cobra commander also voiced mr. burns until season5??

no he voiced Mr. Burns in like 3 episodes of Season 1 and then was fired because nobody could stand being around him

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Peter Cullen also voiced the Predator.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Samovar posted:

Peter Cullen also voiced the Predator.

And it sounds the way it does because he a) had lost his voice and b) thought its face looked like a crab.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Torquemada posted:

To clarify a bit more: His usual working name is Christopher Collins, but he went as Chris Latta for the reason Alaios said because it was his birth name.

Also I can't find any info on him being arrested, just the anecdote about him being bailed out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
He was Christopher Columbus when he came to America.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

To clarify a bit more: His usual working name is Christopher Collins, but he went as Chris Latta for the reason Alaios said because it was his birth name.

Also I can't find any info on him being arrested, just the anecdote about him being bailed out.

Makes it sound like he was just sort of always in a state of arrested with occasional stretches of bail

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

He was Christopher Columbus when he came to America.

he made the harry potter movies? no wonder they gave him a chance on the simpsons

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In the year 2000 and also 2, Columbus directed Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
History says that Leif Erickson was here first:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002063/

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the funny thing is that there have been many who voiced Megatron, and that's fine with me, but if Peter Cullen isn't Optimus, I'm loving out.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Cowslips Warren posted:

the funny thing is that there have been many who voiced Megatron, and that's fine with me, but if Peter Cullen isn't Optimus, I'm loving out.
The fact that he was the 'big reveal' at the end of the list of new voices for Invincible Season 2 was 100% correct and justified and the two seconds of him speaking in the trailer made me squeal out loud.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NorgLyle posted:

The fact that he was the 'big reveal' at the end of the list of new voices for Invincible Season 2 was 100% correct and justified and the two seconds of him speaking in the trailer made me squeal out loud.

Perfect casting, wish I had thought of it first. Peter Cullen will give the character the exact amount of gravitas and nuance he deserves.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I was in college when the comics first came out and I remember them kinda being a big deal at the time, so I'm really happy they're making this show and more people get to experience it. Plus the cast is knocking it out of the park.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peter Cullen is 82 years old. You're going to have to get used to the idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They could just stop making Transformers media and do something else.

Or, you know, kill Optimus and let him stay dead this time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Desert Bus posted:

History says that Leif Erickson was here first:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002063/

Semi related
I like that in the Star Trek TOS episode where Khan first shows up Leif Erikson is counted amongst historical conquerors and tyrants like Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and Alexander the Great.

Like all the man did was set up a settlement in Newfoundland and then leave and never come back once relations with the locals got rocky. Which is notable but not quite on the same level as subjugating most of Asia and/ or Europe.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Jul 31, 2023

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also being better at subjugating just means you're on top of the leaderboards.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Peter Cullen is 82 years old. You're going to have to get used to the idea.

iirc hasbro cheaped out on Bumblebee and had someone else do the voice. not sure what happened but they ended up getting Cullen back in, but didn't reanimate the CGI to match his voice, so that film's Prime sounds way different than most of them.

That poo poo The South Won the Civil War series by the GOT dudes never even got a pilot, did it? I can't imagine the poo poo that would have happened if that was actually produced.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

i thought it was pretty cool how they got cullen to reprise his role in the bayformers movies but it always seemed wrong that frank welker didn't get signed on along with him

also, i saw that Invincible clip, and cullen is definitely showing his age :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

That poo poo The South Won the Civil War series by the GOT dudes never even got a pilot, did it? I can't imagine the poo poo that would have happened if that was actually produced.

It was cancelled during the George Floyd protests, when they realized that the south won the civil war in our actual history.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

It was cancelled during the George Floyd protests, when they realized that the south won the civil war in our actual history.

Unfortunately not the case. It was cancelled because the GOT duo used it to land a massive deal with Netflix that would make them super rich so they jumped ship and HBO cancelled it since the creators literally abandoned it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And now I believe they have nothing since the Netflix deal fell through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They bet everything on the Star Wars gig and rushed GOT to the finale, it's classic hubris.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kwyndig posted:

And now I believe they have nothing since the Netflix deal fell through.

They're adapting The Three Body Problem on Netflix.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just once I'd like to see a serious alternate history where the world turns out better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Just once I'd like to see a serious alternate history where the world turns out better.

We're living in the (extremely improbable and borderline-implausible) alt-history where we made it through the entire Cold War without nuking ourselves.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GrandpaPants posted:

They're adapting The Three Body Problem on Netflix.

I'll believe that when it comes out, the Three Body Problem is notoriously unfilmable.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kwyndig posted:

I'll believe that when it comes out, the Three Body Problem is notoriously unfilmable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Body

I think I heard it was pretty alright in some thread, somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Byzantine posted:

There's various stories which feature people crossing over from a 'better' alternate world such as Scott McCloud's Zot! superhero comicbook which ran from 1984 to 1990 but that one was only semi-serious.