Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Further Reading posted:

Windows is obsessed with One Drive. It keeps trying to activate it, reminding me it's there, giving me error pop ups about it being disabled, telling me how useful cloud storage is.

At this point I don't care if someone can show me that it's objectively better than Google Drive, it's pushy enough that I refuse to use it out of spite.

I have that tendency, not just with software either.

Not always, but sometimes people gush about something so earnestly I instinctively go "you know what the funnier option is? if I make a VOW at this very instant NEVER to listen to 'nujabes'/watch Godfather I even though I'm a film major/etc."

I did see the Godfather eventually (at age 30, years after pissed off film nerds stopped recommending it). Was fine. But I'll expose my ears to nujabes only in some kind of Abu Ghraib situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
you've already heard nujabes if you've heard any lo-fi hip hop. people rec him bc of his work on Samurai Champloo which led to popularizing the entire musical genre.

it all goes back to anime. always does.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

StrangersInTheNight posted:

you've already heard nujabes if you've heard any lo-fi hip hop. people rec him bc of his work on Samurai Champloo which led to popularizing the entire musical genre.

it all goes back to anime. always does.

now i have a valid reason to avoid it! thanks!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Apparently you can't install WhatsApp on Windows anymore unless you do it through the Microsoft store. Since I'm using Windows 10 LTSC, that means I'm SOL and can't use Whatsapp on desktop anymore. Oh well

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PhazonLink posted:

would a real gps device be better? like phones do psudeo gps with celltowers and some other smart things.

I used to pay the $300 bucks or whatever for the stupid SD card that unlocks the vehicle GPS because it’s so much more reliable and doesn’t need a cell signal to function. I also travel for work occasionally to rural areas that don’t always have great cell coverage and if I know I’m gonna be out in East Bumfuck I’ll spring for the stand-alone GPS unit for the rental car.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yard sales (garage sales, tag sales, or whatever you prefer) seem to have all but disappeared for good in my area. I think the Covid lockdown had a huge part in their demise, and now people probably don’t want to set up shop outside their home where strangers can walk about freely on their property and touch stuff. I also think scumbag resellers had a part in it like they’ve ruined thrift stores by buying up all the decent stuff to make a profit while leaving behind the literal junk no one wants, and what homeowner wants to go through disposing of unsellable garbage?

I bought so much great stuff at yard sales over the decades, and it’s sad to see no more cardboard boxes with neon poster board addresses scrawled badly on them :(

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think part of it too is that stuff is largely disposable now and is used that way, so folks are likely donating/throwing away things rather than trying to get the last dollar out of them.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Apparently you can't install WhatsApp on Windows anymore unless you do it through the Microsoft store. Since I'm using Windows 10 LTSC, that means I'm SOL and can't use Whatsapp on desktop anymore. Oh well

Can you not just use Whatsapp Web through your browser?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've spent the last few weeks trying to determine an efficient way of hooking up:

10 year old monitor
1 year old monitor
2 year old PC
1 year old laptop
2 year old balanced speakers
1 year old audio interface

I hate technology so much.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

ProperCoochie posted:

I've spent the last few weeks trying to determine an efficient way of hooking up:

10 year old monitor
1 year old monitor
2 year old PC
1 year old laptop
2 year old balanced speakers
1 year old audio interface

I hate technology so much.

It's almost always best to just do it over the network with software now, especially if the laptop is still meant to be portable. Hook up everything to the PC and just use any of the network KVM software that is out.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Googlers are proposing / testing web client DRM to seemingly stop ad blockers for good (under the guise of user privacy): https://github.com/RupertBenWiser/Web-Environment-Integrity/blob/main/explainer.md

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

TVGM posted:

Googlers are proposing / testing web client DRM to seemingly stop ad blockers for good (under the guise of user privacy): https://github.com/RupertBenWiser/Web-Environment-Integrity/blob/main/explainer.md

...And the internet continues to just get worse.

Can we get a do over on this whole Internet thing? It has kinda sucked the last 10 years or so.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You Are A Elf posted:

Yard sales (garage sales, tag sales, or whatever you prefer) seem to have all but disappeared for good in my area. I think the Covid lockdown had a huge part in their demise, and now people probably don’t want to set up shop outside their home where strangers can walk about freely on their property and touch stuff. I also think scumbag resellers had a part in it like they’ve ruined thrift stores by buying up all the decent stuff to make a profit while leaving behind the literal junk no one wants, and what homeowner wants to go through disposing of unsellable garbage?

I bought so much great stuff at yard sales over the decades, and it’s sad to see no more cardboard boxes with neon poster board addresses scrawled badly on them :(

Yard sales and rummage sales have basically been on a decline since Craigslist and Facebook marketplace took off. Any of the really good stuff gets sold off piecemeal pre-sale, or it gives people unrealistic expectations about what their stuff is worth so they want to try and sell you a lovely pot planter for $10

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TVGM posted:

As a person responsible for things becoming shittier, I want you to know they originally planned to launch this almost 4 years ago and Ive heard no serious updates on their side so for now, I think, you're safe to consume the lovely rear end internet as it is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

You Are A Elf posted:

We had two yard sale this year and made almost 2000 between them. My MIL happened to have a hoard of happy meal toys and strawberry shortcake merch and people bought out our whole stock right there.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Barudak posted:

As a person responsible for things becoming shittier, I want you to know they originally planned to launch this almost 4 years ago and Ive heard no serious updates on their side so for now, I think, you're safe to consume the lovely rear end internet as it is.

You're right, the last commit of the explainer doc was 3 months ago, but they updated the code of conduct 3 days ago.

Maybe they're trying to finally enact manifest V3 before pushing this further?

MadcapLaughs
Mar 17, 2007

We have alot of garage sales in my hood but the folks here overvalue their junk. Sorry but 200 bux for a 15+ year old day bed "original mattress included"? Get outta here.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
bespoke mattress included

the bespoke is piss

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Further Reading posted:

Windows is obsessed with One Drive. It keeps trying to activate it, reminding me it's there, giving me error pop ups about it being disabled, telling me how useful cloud storage is.

At this point I don't care if someone can show me that it's objectively better than Google Drive, it's pushy enough that I refuse to use it out of spite.

just reading about one drive makes me seethe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

huh, i’m on windows 11 and haven’t seen a onedrive nag in many months, not since i installed the os last year i think. i don’t have word/excel/etc so maybe that’s why? i also have the icloud storage software installed.

the only nags i get are after some windows updates, they make me click through what is basically a powerpoint slide declining offers for office 365 and other microsoft junk before the desktop loads. could do without that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Buce posted:

just reading about one drive makes me seethe

Wild that we got a whole antitrust crusade because of loving Internet Explorer yet everyone’s asleep at the wheel re vertical integration cloud storage , MS store front, etc.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Internet browsers were an understandable, tangible thing that made your life worse in concrete ways. Meanwhile nobody understands or wants to understand the barely functional web of services and applications that is every modern MS product.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Brother Tadger posted:

Wild that we got a whole antitrust crusade because of loving Internet Explorer yet everyone’s asleep at the wheel re vertical integration cloud storage , MS store front, etc.

Not that wild. There has been a very deliberate dismantling & defanging of the FTC going on since the 80s but accelerating in the last two decades. Have an interesting read on the matter, if you want. Or, if you don't want, here's an excerpt:

quote:

Since the 1990s, 31 out of 41 top FTC officials – both GOP appointed and appointees backed by corporate Dems – "worked directly for a company that has business before the agency":

https://www.citizen.org/article/ftc-big-tech-revolving-door-problem-report/

The majority of FTC and DoJ antitrust lawyers who served between 2014-21 left government service and went straight to work for a Big Law firm, serving the companies they'd regulated just a few months before:

https://therevolvingdoorproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/The-Revolving-Door-In-Federal-Antitrust-Enforcement.pdf

Take Deborah Feinstein, formerly the head of the FTC's Bureau of Competition, now a partner at Arnold & Porter, where she's represented General Electric, NBCUniversal, Unilever, and Pepsi and a whole medicine chest's worth of pharma giants before her former subordinates at the FTC. Michael Moiseyev who was assistant manager of FTC Competition is now in charge of mergers at Weil Gotshal & Manges, working for Microsoft, Meta, and Eli Lilly.

There's a whole bunch more, but Dayen reserves special notice for Andrew Smith, Trump's FTC Consumer Protection boss. Before he was put on the public payroll, Smith represented 120 clients that had business before the Commission, including "nearly every major bank in America, drug industry lobbyist PhRMA, Uber, Equifax, Amazon, Facebook, Verizon, and a variety of payday lenders":

https://www.citizen.org/sites/default/files/andrew_smith_foia_appeal_response_11_30.pdf

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Powerpoint loves to take up 25% of the screen to suggest different layouts when you paste in an image, and at best will give you the option after the second time to choose "stop suggesting layouts until next time you open Powerpoint". Yes, thank you, I love having to go through this every time I open the program because Powerpoint is convinced I am teetering on the edge of changing my mind about this.

Oh my god, I ran into the same thing and you're completely correct.
This is such a baffling anti-feature.
I'm even working on a proper corporate deck with Master Sheets defined and it persists in nagging me with "suggested designs"!!!
Every time it does it fucks up the zoom level, too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Regulatory capture affects most facets of the us executive unfortunately

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My water company just decided to drop quarterly billing out of nowhere. My bill was usually around $50 so now I'm stuck paying tedious footling little amounts each month. Can't even set up a direct debit because it's forwarded from the property managers.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
My water bill hit $100 for the first time for last month. I gotta get out of this loving desert

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm just jealous of your water amount. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, where cost of living is low, and it's 150-200/quarter. Of course, about 30-40 of it is water usage, the rest is fixed fees.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Jaguars! posted:

My water company just decided to drop quarterly billing out of nowhere. My bill was usually around $50 so now I'm stuck paying tedious footling little amounts each month. Can't even set up a direct debit because it's forwarded from the property managers.

Can you toss $100 their way to have a credit on the account and then just keep the credit topped off each quarter?

I get it's an example of enshittification, I just always try to fix things

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Aftermarket car stereos.

I kind of get 'why', because mostly the OEM one has all sorts of things built into it and normal radios aren't going to be easy replacements.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

Aftermarket car stereos.

I kind of get 'why', because mostly the OEM one has all sorts of things built into it and normal radios aren't going to be easy replacements.

I have a 1999 model hobby car that needed a new stereo, and of all the hundreds of available aftermarket head units on the market, there was exactly ONE that didn't have a display that looked like Mardi Gras in a whorehouse and didn't cost closer to a grand.

If it's any consolation, usually there are adapters for both the cable and the dashboard fitment for whatever car and radio you want to do.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

TVGM posted:

I suspect this is more about preventing click-fraud than adblocking. Clickfraud is the real problem as it literally drains money from advertisers and perpetuates the already common perception that google ads are a waste of money.

It’s still dumb as it’s going to run into the same issues every other form of DRM does, it eventually gets bypassed and/or keys get leaked and it’s all over.

I’ve worked on websites with a million+ users and I would love nothing more than a switch to flip that makes bots a thing of the past but this won’t be it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

I suspect this is more about preventing click-fraud than adblocking. Clickfraud is the real problem as it literally drains money from advertisers and perpetuates the already common perception that google ads are a waste of money.

It’s still dumb as it’s going to run into the same issues every other form of DRM does, it eventually gets bypassed and/or keys get leaked and it’s all over.

I’ve worked on websites with a million+ users and I would love nothing more than a switch to flip that makes bots a thing of the past but this won’t be it.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt (which they don't deserve for a second), this is creating a massive pile of problems for the user so Google's crappy ad business doesn't have to solve the problem on their end.

Coming back to reality: There is absolutely no way the intention isn't to kill ad blockers (while also preventing Clickfraud...for a couple months until someone figures out how to bypass that thing).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What is clickfraud? Just like a bot clicking on an ad to inflate metrics on how effective it was or something?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker

kronix posted:

^ e: I'm too slow

Genuinely curious how widespread click-fraud is. Can I bankrupt NordVPN by clicking on a billion ads? Or is it more a generalized complaint from advertisers / investors because of a perceived lack of ROI?

It's probably more complex than this, but with Google increasing the number of ad tap / click targets in Gmail, search, etc. wouldn't users misclick ad-space more and not follow through on a sale? At what point does it start to resemble a shady download site where there are 5 download buttons and the smallest, least obvious one is the real one?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
"Free rider" :qq:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

50 dollars a quarter?????

water is so loving expensive in portland

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So, remember the onedrive talk? Check out a column on the vegas strip that I just saw

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Has any human being ever used Onenote?

Oh you thought you deleted those printers three times already?

Theeeeeey're back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have a report that I give out at most three times a year and because it’s so infrequent I don’t always remember all the information I need to provide so I made a template in OneNote that I can just swap info out of in 15 minutes and then just read it out on the call. Hard to explain but the OneNote format worked the best for it because the report I give out is basically a verbal consolidation of data that already exists elsewhere.

That’s the only time I use OneNote.