Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i'd honestly buy it more if they declared themselves southern, at least there's something to go on there with 'we still kinda speak latin like spain and italy'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gee I wonder what language that is :thunk:

e: also, I'm "1".

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Lmao at Moldova

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tweet for context:

https://twitter.com/alexsakalis/status/1683138115232313345

As others have said, they speak a Romance language, so grouping themselves with Southern Europe would make sense. But this is just pathetic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“No one can accuse of of bias if we let Moldova in.”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clearly the connection via Hungary is because of the glory of Austria-Hungary, therefore Romanian clay is rightfully part of Hungary.

Nice of them to say so themselves.

not being serious, Hungary can go gently caress themselves with their irredentism

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 24, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

(9th ward best ward all other wards go home)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 24, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Silly nationalist map that invites mockery, not respect.

Sensible scientific ordering of Europe, free of bias.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Turn it a little bit counter clockwise imo. The north will recognise Scotland and be rid of Russia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah this song is not about the beautiful taiga motherland. A few lines in the second verse are about Russia being pretty. Otherwise it's about how God told Russia to kick rear end. And always uses otyechestvo not rodina for gendering the parentland.

Yeah, I guess people by into that stereotype of Russians saying "motherland" so much in pop culture that they think it's actually true, when in fact both are used, basically depending on the circumstances and context you are invoking the coutnry. Also, not a communist/post-communist thing, it's "fatherland" in the Soviet lyrics as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

jeebus bob posted:

Turn it a little bit counter clockwise imo. The north will recognise Scotland and be rid of Russia.
Free of bias

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Scientific"
"Free of bias"

Makes Cyprus European

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Platystemon posted:

“No one can accuse of of bias if we let Moldova in.”

Moldova's basically just the parts of Romania/Moldovia & Wallachia that Russia took after they beat the turks in 1812. Romanian and Moldovan have an Serb Croatian Urdu Hindi thing going on where the only real difference is the alphabet they use but unlike those languages it was mainly imposed by the Soviets to justify Moldova being soviet with little buy-in from the locals. One of the acts of post-independence Moldova was declaring Moldovan to just be a dialect of Romanian. And one of the big political questions in those countries is the possibility of Romanian Moldovan unification although its a minority opinion in both countries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

"Scientific"
"Free of bias"

Makes Cyprus European
It's in the EU, the least biased organization in Europe.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Moldova's basically just the parts of Romania/Moldovia & Wallachia that Russia took after they beat the turks in 1812. Romanian and Moldovan have an Serb Croatian Urdu Hindi thing going on where the only real difference is the alphabet they use but unlike those languages it was mainly imposed by the Soviets to justify Moldova being soviet with little buy-in from the locals. One of the acts of post-independence Moldova was declaring Moldovan to just be a dialect of Romanian. And one of the big political questions in those countries is the possibility of Romanian Moldovan unification although its a minority opinion in both countries.

They also haven't been using the Cyrillic alphabet to write Romanian since uh like independence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

"Scientific"
"Free of bias"

Makes Greece European

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mare Nostrum non est parvum mare

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's very vascular for a map

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Germany is central Europe, but when you include Poland into central Europe, all of a sudden you run out of Europe before you have time to fit much Eastern Europe in so the entire thing ends up lopsided.

If they want there to be more central Europe they should bring back Lotharingia.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

driving me nuts trying to guess the origin and time. who knew about south america but couldn't draw the north African coast?? I'm saying Sevastopol, 1580

edit wait I didn't notice Antarctica. changing my guess to an eight year old in 1982

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

i say swears online posted:

driving me nuts trying to guess the origin and time. who knew about south america but couldn't draw the north African coast?? I'm saying Sevastopol, 1580

edit wait I didn't notice Antarctica. changing my guess to an eight year old in 1982

Considering no Australia, “Antarctica” may in fact be terra incognita australis

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Judgy Fucker posted:

Considering no Australia, “Antarctica” may in fact be terra incognita australis

Yeah also the fact that it's basically connected to south america. So I'm guessing... early-mid 1500s, it's about on par with the oronce fine map that does the same thing except I think his continents are a bit better, I don't think his suffers from post coital north america.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am wondering why the cartographer has apparently confused Ireland with Ulthuan though.

E: actually the entire med is hosed up too but yet still has the most detail... going to echo yeah maybe Sevastopol? It's the least wrong bit I guess.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

looks like that a conception is happening in kazakhstan

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I like my Afro-Eurasia huge, veiny, and throbbing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the long Chukotka replacing all of Canada and looping round to replace Svalbard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm the Aral Sea going to fertilize the Caspian.

Honestly that one's fun/depressing cos if you look on a modern map you're like "is that lake balkhash?" and then you think "oh no there used to be a big body of water east of the caspian, lol"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

They didn't have complex systems for analyzing the shape of landmasses in those days, there was a lot of guesswork. It's common for people to "unspool" more complex shapes into straight lines, especially if you don't particularly know about certain bays or gulfs.

The Waldseemuller map, which is the first recorded case of naming the new world America does a similar thing with north africa. If you don't know that Tunis is the same latitude of the Turkish coast, it seems like a simple idea that it's all a flat line instead of the whole mediterranean going diagonal.

Africa in particular has a tendency for a lot of pre-modern maps to get wildly wrong, because everyone back in the day all heard something about a number of rivers and lakes that don't actually exist that they regularly try to draw in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it took people a surprisingly long time to figure out where the Nile came from.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Germany is central Europe, but when you include Poland into central Europe, all of a sudden you run out of Europe before you have time to fit much Eastern Europe in so the entire thing ends up lopsided.

If they want there to be more central Europe they should bring back Lotharingia.
OK, I fixed the map to your specifications:

Happy now?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I am wondering why the cartographer has apparently confused Ireland with Ulthuan though.

E: actually the entire med is hosed up too but yet still has the most detail... going to echo yeah maybe Sevastopol? It's the least wrong bit I guess.

i'm glad you noticed too, that motherfucker looks like someone drew the warhammer fantasy map from memory

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Happy now?
France is the only country in Western Europe irl, terrible map, you should be ashamed

I went to the basin formerly known as the Aral Sea last september
remember when there was a sea here?

I don't, it's quite depressing

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 24, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Any map that puts Schleswig and Holstein into the same category as Bavaria is fundamentally wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Happy now?

Missed opportunity to call the Balkans "middle Eastern Europe"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

Any map that puts Schleswig and Holstein into the same category as Bavaria is fundamentally wrong.
Pull the inner circle in to 500, Slesvig-Holsten becomes Northern Europe, Berlin goes to Eastern Europe as is correct, Bavaria remains Central Europe. Also Barcelona becomes Southern Europe and Cork Western Europe, Belfast joins Scotland in the North though, which will please some people greatly and not others.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Pull the inner circle in to 500, Slesvig-Holsten becomes Northern Europe, Berlin goes to Eastern Europe as is correct, Bavaria remains Central Europe. Also Barcelona becomes Southern Europe and Cork Western Europe, Belfast joins Scotland in the North though, which will please some people greatly and not others.

Would make that one ulster loyalist/scottish nationalist I met extremely happy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

ulster loyalist/scottish nationalist

…how?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have no loving idea, outside of "Northern Ireland joins independent Scotland and together we drive out the hated catholic menace" which I think is what he was angling for.

Like he was from NI but lived in Scotland, so I think he was just trying to glue to two together while also hating catholics. Genuinely one of the more cursed political positions i've come across.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That actually is interesting. There are plenty of Protestant supremacists in Scotland, but I thought they were usually unionists, just like their Northern Ireland counterparts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe he just hates southerners in general. Or prefers things that are generally north of other things. Ulster loyalist/Scottish nationalist/Juche admirer.

"Anglicans are entirely too close to papists" is also likely, but by the time you're at that point it's not that hard to add like DPRK and Lega Nord.