Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Buttchocks posted:

The Karate Kid - Seen this a dozen times, but never noticed that the first person Daniel fights in the tournament has a swastika on his uniform. I wonder if anyone considered this in relation to Mr. Miagi's backstory.

It's a religious symbol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#:~:text=On%20Japanese%20maps%2C%20a%20swastika,literally%20%22hook%20cross%22).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Tournament judge to himself: "Let's see who the entries are this year....Cobra Kai Dojo, of course.....Miyagi Dojo? they must be new.....It's Not a Swastika It's a Religious Symbol Dojo, no questions raised by that name....."

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Watched some movies in-flight on my way to and back from vacation last week.

In Bruges--A heartwarming Christmas tale about friendship, forgiveness, sacrifice, and sticking to your principles.

Nope--Solid sci-fi horror/thriller that's more about the challenges of capturing a desired image on film. The most disturbing stuff relates to a chimpanzee attack on the set of an 80s/90s family sitcom.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves--Very fun. Nothing revolutionary here, but you can tell that a lot of heart went into making the movie and the results speak for themselves.

Muriel's Wedding--I saw part of this movie years ago, but never sat through the whole thing before. While there are some laughs, the movie as a whole is a lot more serious in tone than I remembered. Definitely not the rom-com it gets billed as.

Ordinary People--Goddamn it, stop making me care about these wealthy white suburbanites. *sniffle*

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Karate Kid swastika is rounded and doesn't even remotely resemble the Nazi one

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
just finished bird box Barcelona and it was surprisingly ok. as someone who enjoyed the original, the sequel was perfectly serviceable with a decent plot twist.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thelma & Louise and Scarface - both films are in agreement that sticking your tongue out at women does NOT work

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Asteroid City : a huge cast can't solve the main problem I have with this, which is that it's just a touch too far up its own rear end. I understand it's Wes Anderson doing his own semi-autobiographical but also not kind of play-within-a-play thing and it's about grief and loss and also the weirdness of making anything creative, but it's also a group of people witnessing the absurd/otherworldly and trying to deal with it. The point of comparison I had was Nope, but whereas Nope was straightforward, this seems to wrap itself in Lynchian shell game stuff and it falls apart. Not bad, but certainly not Wes' best film in years, that was The French Dispatch

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Here's a map of Kyoto, Japan. See if you can spot something...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

Here's a map of Kyoto, Japan. See if you can spot something...

Sir this is a Don Quijote

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Asteroid City : a huge cast can't solve the main problem I have with this, which is that it's just a touch too far up its own rear end. I understand it's Wes Anderson doing his own semi-autobiographical but also not kind of play-within-a-play thing and it's about grief and loss and also the weirdness of making anything creative, but it's also a group of people witnessing the absurd/otherworldly and trying to deal with it. The point of comparison I had was Nope, but whereas Nope was straightforward, this seems to wrap itself in Lynchian shell game stuff and it falls apart. Not bad, but certainly not Wes' best film in years, that was The French Dispatch

Wes Anderson's films tend to have absolutely amazing cinematography and I cannot deny his talent with the camera - the cutaway scene in The Life Aquatic was so beautiful I had to rewind and watch it multiple times. Fantastic Mr Fox was pretty much the best Dahl adaptation because it was shot in such a wonderfully unsettling manner. However it also remains the sole film of his that I would have any interest in seeing again because everything I have seen since then has been unwatchably performatively quirky garbage. He's got one note that he likes to play over and over again, and he plays it beautifully, but I just don't enjoy it.

The kid from Rushmore holds the crown as the most thoroughly unlikable young person in a movie, eclipsing Ferris Bueller.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dunno what it is about Fantastic Mr. Fox but it has almost obsessive rewatchability for me, and I can hardly stand ever watching anything twice. One time I got on a train from NYC to DC and in the time it took to get there I'd watched it through almost three times.

Every little line of dialogue or frame of visuals is a joke with texture you want to pause and chew over. "His ears are cold." The "he's-all-weird" arm flappy gesture. The music. The trains roaming the room/countryside. The lawyer-office snarl-fight. Petey's song. "Because I'm LITTLE." The stars on the bandit hat. The wolf. The dance in the store.

Dammit I want to watch it again now

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

The opening and closing few minutes of this, where it's a Paul Rudd comedy, were fun and continued what I enjoyed about the last two, but the middle hour forty-five of low-rent Star Wars was lousy. A real waste of time of a bunch of talented people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Librarian: Quest for the Spear Can you imagine how embarrassing it must have been for Spielberg when this dropped and it managed to be ten times funner, funnier, and more interesting than his amateur attempts at adventure in Indiana Jones, and at such lower production costs. Truly one of the hidden gems of entertainment

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Barbie: Messaging feels around seven years too late and basically a bumper sticker but the jokes were very, very good and the set design was to die for. Some rapturous scenes and one early scene that was very moving, with multiple times where I was amazed Mattel let Greta and co. get away with what they got away with. Worth it for Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, who are fantastic. It was fun seeing this in a theater next to two older women who were eating it up. Great last line. If you can accept the heavy-handed nature of it with the tongue-in-cheek elements it's great for the laughs. Just a fun time at the movies. I feel like teens are gonna be all about this one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Barbie
I went into this one skeptical but it was honestly kind of a blast and extremely funny. Robbie is good but Gosling completely steals the show.

Oppenheimer
Yeah, we did the meme thing, but this was also extremely good (if maybe a bit long). Obviously not as fun as Barbie, but very well crafted and the lead-up to the actual test is some of the most anxiety-inducing stuff Nolan’s done. Infinitely better than Tenet.

It also tickles a particular part of my brain to see physicists I constantly read about as a kid as characters in a massive summer blockbuster.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Super Mario Bros Movie
-Cute
-Boy they really laid the Nintendo references on thick huh
E: awww Satoru Iwata got a credit :3:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sir this is a Don Quijote

lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart If someone asks you what the best film released this week was and you answer anything other than Venture Bros, you're a joke.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh man thanks for the heads up that Venture Bros movie is out. Excited to watch it, but sad it’s officially over.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

Watched some movies in-flight on my way to and back from vacation last week.

Nope--Solid sci-fi horror/thriller that's more about the challenges of capturing a desired image on film. The most disturbing stuff relates to a chimpanzee attack on the set of an 80s/90s family sitcom.

Came here to post about this one,the people (and kids:() getting digested and screaming about how much it burns was super disturbing

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The flash

I may never watch another superhero film again.
Some brief moments of enjoyment from Michael Keaton can't save this. I usually enjoy super hero slop, but this was just bad everything.

The colour purple (1985)

Really enjoyed this although it has some really odd tone at time, moments of almost slapstick comedy following a scene of human brutality and the music often did not fit the scene. Very much a film of the 80s.

The Arbor (2010)

Docu-drama, really hard to describe this film but was fantastic, essentially it's actors lip syncing to actual audio recordings of people, it's weird at first but it really works. Incredibly sad though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 23, 2023

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Professor Shark posted:

Came here to post about this one,the people (and kids:() getting digested and screaming about how much it burns was super disturbing

Yeah, watching it on an airplane didn't help--I had to turn captions on for all the movies because most of the audio was drowned out by engine noise. That part was completely inaudible and there were no captions for it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One of the kids is crying out for their mom- super downer.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oppenheimer - possibly the most coherent movie Nolan has ever done, which given its runtime and the fact that he directed three cale films is pretty wild. I did have to use the bathroom twice because I'm a small woman who drank a tall White Claw, so I probably missed something kind of important. Anyway I liked it, on the whole. Ambitious with moments of unironic silliness that taken at their face must still be lauded for their ambition. Grudgingly have to concede RDJ can still act when he wants to, which is still hardly ever.

Also it tries to make Cillian Murphy look less than like the world's prettiest man, and you know what? It succeeds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big Trouble in Little China: somehow I never saw this until now, though I did see The Golden Child way back when and remember it being incomprehensibly unfunny. Amused that this is what it was up against in what had to be some weird case of pre-Volcano/Mars/Ant movie/space station TV show studio espionage. This one is a lot of fun and has plenty of good action and set design (and really good effects for the era too), and I dig the subversion of the macho white protagonist being a bumbling doofus who knocks himself the gently caress out before a fight scene.

What felt jarring to me in spite of everything is that even in 1986 it must have been a bit weird to treat "The Chinese" as some kind of mystical elven species who has access to special supernatural powers and gods that are unknown in the West. It really comes off strange today, unsurprisingly, but even at the time it must have felt like a weird kind of throwback to already-deprecated Fu Manchu type stuff.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning: Part 1 (2023) i forgot the title of the film until just now so I didn’t get to nudge my wife when they said dead reckoning at the start of the movie.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Data Graham posted:

Big Trouble in Little China: somehow I never saw this until now, though I did see The Golden Child way back when and remember it being incomprehensibly unfunny. Amused that this is what it was up against in what had to be some weird case of pre-Volcano/Mars/Ant movie/space station TV show studio espionage. This one is a lot of fun and has plenty of good action and set design (and really good effects for the era too), and I dig the subversion of the macho white protagonist being a bumbling doofus who knocks himself the gently caress out before a fight scene.

What felt jarring to me in spite of everything is that even in 1986 it must have been a bit weird to treat "The Chinese" as some kind of mystical elven species who has access to special supernatural powers and gods that are unknown in the West. It really comes off strange today, unsurprisingly, but even at the time it must have felt like a weird kind of throwback to already-deprecated Fu Manchu type stuff.

The bit in the lo pan psychic battle where he starts wiggling his thumbs like he's holding a game controller is a gag at least 20 years ahead of its time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Breetai posted:

The bit in the lo pan psychic battle where he starts wiggling his thumbs like he's holding a game controller is a gag at least 20 years ahead of its time.

Yeah! My eyebrows shot up at that lol

I did mental math watching that remembering that this was the year the NES came out and how pervasive home video game systems were already (mostly with joysticks rather than game pads), and I remember the other kids in my class were all talking excitedly about how humans would evolve huge thumbs in order to play video games better

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TENET - perfectly cromulent film, solidly in the middle of Nolan's oeuvre so not sure why this got such a middling reception. JDW is fine, although he can never quite strike the right balance of "audience surrogate into time travel secret society" and "steely hardened dangerously capable intelligence operative". Partly because he never gets to be as fun as Pattinson, and Pattinson is fantastic in this all the way through. Biggest sin is probably the romance subplot which squanders ~30 mins of runtime and wastes Debicki.

Saw someone on the internet say that if the final scene has Denzel as an aged version of the Protagonist the movie becomes an instant classic and I honestly can't disagree.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Barbie falls apart completely in the last quarter but is pretty fun otherwise

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One: The plot is engagingly loopy enough to be a good backdrop for a lot of fun chases and impressive stunt setpieces, even if it sometimes threatens to fall apart. Was glad to see Hayley Atwell in an action role again, and Pom Klementieff also gets to kick rear end a lot. Honestly it's worth seeing for them. But also I like how it treads into Metal Gear territory with its story of a rogue AI threatening to hack the planet, and the angle that no government, especially not the United States, can be trusted with access to it.

The Magnetic Monster: Found this one on Amazon Prime in a version that looks less like VHS and more like those pre-DVD attempts to put movies on CD-ROM. Picture quality aside, this film by Curt Siodmak (writer of The Wolf Man, Donovan's Brain, and F.P.1 Doesn't Answer) focuses on a team of science police hunting down an unstable isotope that if left unchecked could destroy the world. It's a very low key science-fiction movie, with a "monster" that's just some atoms gone wrong, stripping away much of the metaphor of this kind of film. The story probably would have made more sense as a book or radio play, there's a lot of talk, and there has to be because it's a very low budget movie and it'd be hard to render things in visual terms even if it wasn't. They try to keep it moving, though, and it does come together in a pretty cool climax that makes extensive use of stock footage from the silent German film Gold. An interesting novelty.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: Oh, so this is where Marilyn became Marilyn. Like this is where the icon/image comes from, the entire persona that she's associated with- sexy and funny and you can't quite tell how much of the ditziness is a put-on because she knows how to deploy it strategically. But of course there's also Jane Russell, whose performance is pretty great too; she honestly gets most of the laughs, her comic timing is dead on. The story kind of lurches around and not all the songs work, but of course Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend is there and that's definitive. You watch this entirely for the two leads and they overdeliver. (Looks nice too, one of the great Technicolor-means-every-color-as-big-as-possible movies.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nobody was way worse than I thought it would be. Poor man’s John Wick, reeked of “setting up for a trilogy” syndrome.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Flash (2023) : A decent movie unnecessarily shat upon - the ghoulish CGI dead actors is bad, but it's only on-screen for a few minutes. The rest is a touch over-long but a fun ride. not saying it's On the Waterfront, but it's fun

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who are the dead people?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who are the dead people?

It's got a scene that has deep faked various actors who have had the superman roll. The CG is bad and it looks dumb, it's only for a few seconds though.

Honestly it's one of the lesser problems of the film in my opinion.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Zardoz post apocalyptic fashion before Road Warrior is wild. What is Sean Connery wearing?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

He's wearing the male equivalent to magical bikini armor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a perfectly normal outfit and it says a lot about goons lack of fashion sense that they find it odd.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’ll admit that my fashion game is weak. Admittedly all the women did desire Connery in Zardoz. Perhaps I was mistaken this was in-spite of his Borat gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pandora's Box - I watched this as part of a rabbit-hole deep-dive that went like this:

Schitt's Creek (does in-show production of Cabaret) ->
Cabaret (has Liza Minelli as Sally Bowles whose hair/makeup/mannerisms are derived from Louise Brooks) ->
Pandora's Box

And for a silent movie from 1929, I was kind of floored by how "modern" it felt. Characters' gestures and facial expressions felt like things I could expect to see today. It's a far cry from something as broad and over-the-top gesticulatory as Metropolis; it's a down-to-earth character story where you'll get something like: she's sitting at a table and looks up to see the familiar face of an old chummy friend. She puts out her arms and tucks her chin down to her chest, theatrically looking up at her friend with a wide-open, upper-teeth-exposed grin and her eyes rolled upward to make oblique eye contact, her head pointed like a spear and her arms forming an anticipatory embrace as she silently makes a noise like "aaawwww, it's you!"

It's the kind of weird intricate full-body gesture I would have thought only must have originated in the 70s or later, but here it is in 1929. The whole movie felt "nearer" in a lot of ways than a lot of things I've seen that were made decades later.