Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Snowmanatee posted:

Also, they're ostensibly explorers and scientists first, not naval/military officers, so it makes even more sense they're obsessed with their past counterparts. I think the idea of standing on the shoulders of giants is more common in those fields than the military, where you probably have to be a specific type of history nerd.

Like, can you say with a straight face that there’s a single NASA astronaut who wouldn’t piss their pants at the chance to shoot the poo poo with chuck yeager or buzz aldrin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Everyone posted:

I really liked Mariner's scenes with Uhura. Despite the clear fan-girly respect Mariner has for who Uhura becomes, she was able to meet Uhura as she is then and act as a kind of "older sister" mentor in the fine arts of necessary goofing off.

Not only is Mariner an Uhura fan but Tawny Newsome herself is an Uhura fan and also a Celia Rose Gooding fan, shooting that scene must have been a total mind trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiYyIAz5xU&t=785s

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Incredible. That episode had me smiling the whole way through. I can't remember when I last enjoyed Star Trek as much as that.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Everyone posted:

It depends on what you mean. Christina Chong is really pretty and has that hot British accent, but Boimler's been fairly indifferent to attractive women. He's not flirty or focused that way.

As far as the La'an Noonien-Singh, it's a 120 years later for him and Boimler's not rear end in a top hat enough to make a reference to her last name.

Oh, definitely meant the latter, in that our very specific reference dropping characters just had nothing to say about bumping into a Noonien-Singh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched it again tonight. It makes me sad that we won't be able to get that again. I don't even care if they have to do something really stupid, I'd love if somehow another portal happens and we get Boimler and Mariner stuck in TOS times again. Those two characters being there brought out a level of fun from every other SNW character. It was the fun of Trials and Tribbleations but with the added ability for the characters from the past to actually interact with the characters from the future. It sucks that these two shows have to be in different time periods, because I really feel like they both capture what a modern Star Trek show is supposed to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I watched it again tonight. It makes me sad that we won't be able to get that again. I don't even care if they have to do something really stupid, I'd love if somehow another portal happens and we get Boimler and Mariner stuck in TOS times again. Those two characters being there brought out a level of fun from every other SNW character. It was the fun of Trials and Tribbleations but with the added ability for the characters from the past to actually interact with the characters from the future. It sucks that these two shows have to be in different time periods, because I really feel like they both capture what a modern Star Trek show is supposed to be.

The part about cherishing what you have while you have it rings incredibly poignant right now as we enter the era of the new guillotine poised to drop on Star Trek's neck via Paramount's inevitable implosion. This episode was perhaps the pinnacle of what Star Trek is, could be, and should be, and if it all went away tomorrow, which it very much could, I will be eternally happy I got to see it. Because the other "All of what Star Trek should be in a single episode" episode was All The World's A Stage from Prodigy, and well, loving :rip: it did vanish into thin air and all I have are my memories of it now, and I will hold on to them for as long as I can.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMojok posted:

Got a bit of a Trelane thing going on.

God yes, there was so much other great stuff (like the aforementioned,"Riker!" when he straddled the saddle) that I almost forgot that line :discourse:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dolash posted:

Underappreciated gag is waking up in the medical bay and then immediately shouting "Computer! End program!" just to check. I'd be doing that every morning when I wake up.

I've done that IRL. Because any way out of this hellscape would be welcome.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

i liked it a lot too but i guess not as much as some of the other posters itt. i'd hesitate to call it the best episode of SNW. it was funny, but not as funny as some of the other SNW eps and imo it definitely wasn't as funny as even most LDS eps. i thought the more emotional parts were moving but they didn't make me cry or anything

that's not to say i didn't like it and don't think it's a good episode though. on the contrary, i enjoyed it a lot and thought it was excellent. i guess i just didn't react as strongly :shrug:

Seconding this. It was a perfectly fine and fun little episode that thread the needle between the two shows as well as it could, but whoever it was saying this is the single best episode of Trek, ever, has me absolutely baffled. It's not even the best episode of Trek released in the last 4 days, last Thursdays was cleverer and had a stronger emotional core in every way. Nobody did a silly walk in that one though, I guess?

There was a few nice jokes, a few fun interactions and a few nice emotional beats, it did what it set out to do, but I'm straight up lost at what the people saying it had them in tears or gawfing out loud with laughter saw that I didn't.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Really excited for T'Lyn finally joining the Cerritos and all of the fun fish-out-of-water plots we'll get with her and the LD crew.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Thread consensus seems to be that everyone really liked the episode? I'm sorta fascinated to be honest.

I couldn't stand it, lasted about 15-20 minutes tops and had to turn it off. Pushed all the wrong buttons. Reference after reference after hamfisted reference until I was pleading for it to stop. That classic writing trope "I should definitely not say the thing.. Oh crap I immediately said the thing!" just kept happening over and over again.

I've never seen any Lower Decks, is that what it's like?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I really enjoyed the episode but I wouldn't call it one of the best episodes of Trek ever. It's not even the best SNW or LDS episode.

Also I found myself getting annoyed at Boiler and Mariner then stopped and went "oh yeah that's the point, they're hyperactive cartoon future people, of course they're annoying"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That was delightful and I loved every second of it. So many good lines.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Smiling Spock will haunt my dreams

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hyperriker posted:

I've never seen any Lower Decks, is that what it's like?

They really lean into the fact that Lower Decks is animated so it's cheap and easy to callback to every tiny thing that ever happened in a Trek. Steve Shives has a pretty decent YouTube channel where he gushes over Trek, but that is the specific reason why he dislikes Lower Decks.

I personally love the characters and their chemistry and so can look beyond all the references. If references are upsetting, then no, Lower Decks is not for you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The amount that Lower Decks uses references varies. Sometimes it's in-your-face, sometimes it's all background and you won't know there are references at all. This one leaned into it quite a lot because it's an episode about nostalgia for the earlier time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ransom being a little creepy about the Una poster is infinitely funnier knowing his voice actor is Rebecca Romjins husband.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Just rewatching the crossover and noticed there is indeed a single frame sneak peek at Una's poster at the episode beginning in the animated intro sequence. Nice.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The amount that Lower Decks uses references varies. Sometimes it's in-your-face, sometimes it's all background and you won't know there are references at all. This one leaned into it quite a lot because it's an episode about nostalgia for the earlier time.

LDS has already established that the trek TV shows are in universe documentaries (Riker watching ENT and quoting it's theme song) so the other series can be assumed to exist as well. It's a neat little in universe justification for the characters knowing these things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, LDS has very strongly established the much broader justification of 'the characters are fans of the legendary Starfleet crews and follow their exploits'.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Great Beer posted:

LDS has already established that the trek TV shows are in universe documentaries.

You know if I were Dr. Crusher I think I just would of asked Starfleet not to make a doco about my grandma's sex ghost candle.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

dr_rat posted:

You know if I were Dr. Crusher I think I just would of asked Starfleet not to make a doco about my grandma's sex ghost candle.

What a quaint attitude.

Embrace the enlightenment of the 24th century.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MikeJF posted:

This being live action and requiring characters to directly reference things through dialog also play a role in making them more in your face than casual background gags.

I personally loved the episode, but I do get how it might be jarring if you're not used to Lower Decks' style.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Light posted:

What a quaint attitude.

Embrace the enlightenment of the 24th century.

Fine your right, if any sex ghost candles rock up in my family I let NASA make a doco about it. :sigh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not only is Mariner an Uhura fan but Tawny Newsome herself is an Uhura fan and also a Celia Rose Gooding fan, shooting that scene must have been a total mind trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SiYyIAz5xU&t=785s

Being an Uhura fan is absolutely reasonable. One of my favorite TAS episodes is when she takes command of the Enterprise in an emergency and proceeds to use gun on problem until everything makes sense while still remaining diplomatic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Being an Uhura fan is absolutely reasonable. One of my favorite TAS episodes is when she takes command of the Enterprise in an emergency and proceeds to use gun on problem until everything makes sense while still remaining diplomatic.

She also appoints Chapel to chief medical officer and makes her her second.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean, plenty of officers now probably nerd out about Nimitz, Farragaut, and other famous ships, generals, ect.

I liked the episode way more on 2nd watch, partly because no kiddos drawing my attention away. I do have a few minor criticism:

-I get part of the point is that Boimler is a bit of a try hard and anxious and takes a bit getting used to but I feel like the Enterprise crew was a bit, mean? Not Chapel and Ortegas who leaned into the whole thing and had a real conversation with the kid but Pike, Una, and Soong weren't really trying to understand why this kid might be a bit freaked out and overwhelmed. Though I do appreciate that when given a chance to be self-reflective Boimler can connect Pike at a human level.
-The editing felt weird, like the scene where Boims goes to engineering is missing a scene that got cut. Similarly, lots of cuts to one person reacting.

That being said, it was great! Acting was great, direction was great, ect.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Echoing the common sentiment that the crossover was hilarious and I was digging every second. I loved the LD characters followed cartoon logic, like they're omnipotent and nothing around them matters more than their side conversations, with the manic cartoon energy in a real world setting. It worked so much better than it should have.

Most of the gags had me rolling - Beckett making the triangle shape of Pike's wheelchair, Boimler's speed walk, Tendi and Sam yelling through the portal "it opened again! Should we come through? We'll be right there" and Pike yelling "NO" with an exhausted look on his face, have you noticed how everyone talks to slow, have you noticed their references are oddly specific, ... I could go on and on.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Seconding this. It was a perfectly fine and fun little episode that thread the needle between the two shows as well as it could, but whoever it was saying this is the single best episode of Trek, ever, has me absolutely baffled. It's not even the best episode of Trek released in the last 4 days, last Thursdays was cleverer and had a stronger emotional core in every way. Nobody did a silly walk in that one though, I guess?

There was a few nice jokes, a few fun interactions and a few nice emotional beats, it did what it set out to do, but I'm straight up lost at what the people saying it had them in tears or gawfing out loud with laughter saw that I didn't.

To differing extents, lots of aspects of the Discovery and Picard and Kelvin timeline Trek seemed embarrassed to be Star Trek, and that came through. It's nice to have some Trek that just unashamedly geeks out over itself with the audience.

It's one thing that a lot of the Star Wars shows have done well.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

People who skip the SNW intro sicken me. If you can't stand and shed a tear for the intro music then how are you even a Star Trek fan!!!!!!!!11

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

People who skip the SNW intro sicken me. If you can't stand and shed a tear for the intro music then how are you even a Star Trek fan!!!!!!!!11

:amen:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

alexandriao posted:

This people have weak pagh and it disgusts me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The SNW op is alright but there’s a chord progression right before the end that makes me think “highway to the danger zone” everytime

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

alexandriao posted:

People who skip the enterprise intro sicken me. If you can't stand and shed a tear for the intro music then how are you even a Star Trek fan!!!!!!!!11

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

This but unironically

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't skip any opening on general principle but the Enterprise theme is lame as hell

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
TNG theme best theme

DS9, Voy, SNW themes are good as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Faith of the Heart" owns, I don't give a poo poo. The season 3-4 version ain't as good, but, still.

Yeah, it's dumb as a "Star Trek" theme song. But the decision was made over 20 years ago, and we can live with it.