Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dioxazine posted:

sometimes i suspect that americans simply cannot conceive that other nations can do better

it is specifically because they made international (and now even domestic travel) expensive enough that only the wealthy and well off are able to visit other places and see things the way they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dioxazine posted:

sometimes i suspect that americans simply cannot conceive that other nations can do better

Even among anti car social media I read, where people recognize that the current state or affairs is a murderous dead end, many of them think the solution is that they keep living on a four lane stroad and traveling forty miles a day but there’s a horse in the garage instead of a car.

Americans cannot imagine a better future because they cannot imagine a better today. The ability to imagine a better today has been deliberately bred out of them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Even among anti car social media I read, where people recognize that the current state or affairs is a murderous dead end, many of them think the solution is that they keep living on a four lane stroad and traveling forty miles a day but there’s a horse in the garage instead of a car.

Americans cannot imagine a better future because they cannot imagine a better today. The ability to imagine a better today has been deliberately bred out of them.

there was a post floating around a while ago where an american was asking why the coliseum didn’t seem to have much parking beside it… where did the ancient romans park their chariots?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There really isn't an answer for the car problem in the US outside of it just becoming so prohibitively expensive that the vast majority of the population can't afford to have one regardless of how hard anyone tries to financialize it

Apr 7, 2003

I was a pretty typical American drive-everywhere-all-the-time sort until 2002 when I lost my well-paying at the time job, went through a lovely breakup, lost my housing, and had to relocate to a lovely apartment in a "lovely" neighborhood. My "lovely" neighborhood had a tram line, a grocery store two blocks away, a laundromat three blocks away. I could ride the tram to my lovely minimum wage job and eventually I figured out "hey, it's pretty good to not need a car to get around when you're broke." My lovely apartment was $325 a month at the time for about 425 sf of living space and it was perfectly fine. Lived there and didn't have a car for about nine years. I was pretty poor by American standards but I could cover all my needs without having to worry about a car and the expense that brings, and I could cover rent. I could go out to the bar, go to the movies, I could afford a lovely PC to play video games. It wasn't bad at all.

The great majority of affluent Americans will never have that sort of experience in their life, or if they do they'll just keep trying to live their previous life while flipping credit cards and shrieking on TV about how Joe Biden took their kid's potato chips away. Public transit has gotten so bad here since 2002 that my experience had this happened to me in 2023 would be entirely different than it was then. There's no pathway to that kind of experience in most of the US anymore.

Apr 7, 2003

btw my $325 apartment from 2002 was $950 a month last I checked

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
one thing's for sure: america is the greatest nation on earth to touch computers in

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i mean america "should" have its military neutered and crippled, and ideally reverse color revolutioned or something to change to a new governmental system. i dont mean i hope a bunch of a normal americans are bombed

This is the most peacefully mundane way I've ever heard someone mention their idea for how things might radically change for the better and you're, like, flabbergasted??

psiox posted:

you'll be happier on 4chan or fyad with the other trash, for real, just give it a try for a while and you'll probably get a pretty lucrative sponsorship deal from squarespace

This is nuts

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the usa is invasion-proof, the only thing we actually have to worry about domestically is all-out nuclear war. if that happens, we're all hosed regardless

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the usa is invasion-proof, the only thing we actually have to worry about domestically is all-out nuclear war. if that happens, we're all hosed regardless

what about insurgencies, civil wars, and balkanisation(s)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the first is an unofficial arm of the government, the second won't happen and the third definitely wont happen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Eminent DNS posted:

This is the most peacefully mundane way I've ever heard someone mention their idea for how things might radically change for the better and you're, like, flabbergasted??

This is nuts

thats the same guy who was freaking out and calling anyone who voted 3rd part a trump supporter and a "centrist" and a "coward". dont worry about it

psiox posted:

PokeJoe posted:

i don't feel anything like that, i just didn't want to vote for an old rapist who said he has no sympathy for young people. if you think voting for him helps go for it, but im not gonna do it

lol you self righteous piece of poo poo too cowardly to admit it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we don't care about any of those. the pigs will just murder any serious insurgents. we had a civil war and now the whole country's militia is federalized, plus real military bases in practically every state, it'll never happen again. we don't have dominant ethnic groups in specific regions like the balkan nations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

thats the same guy who was freaking out and calling anyone who voted 3rd part a trump supporter and a "centrist" and a "coward". dont worry about it

in it voted 5

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

Sometimes yospos feels like that bar in Casablanca, a true neutral zone

Or sigil, the city of doors

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I'm writing in Roseanne Barr by the way

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've voted third party and i'll do it again unless my demands are met. tremble before my power to usher in a new age of fascism

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*me crumbling up my ballot and throwing it into the trash*

"I voted for Jill Stein"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I look forward to voting for Comrade Cornel

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'm told it's very important to run up the popular vote count in california

voting in our democracy is a sacred duty. that's why we have a vegetable serving in the senate.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

That's it, you've finally got me fully steamed off

If one more of you so much as insinuates that the cynical actions of the people in power in this country in even just the last three decades might possibly have consequences in the present, well I'd probably get even more P Oed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Eminent DNS posted:

That's it, you've finally got me fully steamed off

If one more of you so much as insinuates that the cynical actions of the people in power in this country in even just the last three decades might possibly have consequences in the present, well I'd probably get even more P Oed

georgm bush did 9/11

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jet fuel can't storm deserts

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Nice try, but he has photographic proof that he was in school at the time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
it's funny to say that america ahould be destroyed with giant robots armed with giant bazookas, even if it isn't a realistic goal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Eminent DNS posted:

Nice try, but he has photographic proof that he was in school at the time

my pet goat was an OP

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's funny to say that america ahould be destroyed with giant robots armed with giant bazookas, even if it isn't a realistic goal

PokeJoe posted:

also red alert 3 kicks rear end

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

*me crumbling up my ballot and throwing it into the trash*

"I voted for Jill Stein"

i voted for gloria la riva and still don't feel bad about it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i voted for gloria la riva and still don't feel bad about it

she turned out to be a transphobe

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

don’t feel bad about voting third party tho

er also don’t feel too bad either because she tricked everyone basically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and that wasn't available knowledge on election day so i still don't give a gently caress. would i vote same in 24? no.

joe biden's literally a woman abusing rapist who hates poor and black people and we knew that well before nov 2020

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eminent DNS posted:

Sometimes yospos feels like that bar in Casablanca, a true neutral zone

Or sigil, the city of doors

play it again, drizzt

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The great majority of affluent Americans will never have that sort of experience in their life, or if they do they'll just keep trying to live their previous life while flipping credit cards and shrieking on TV about how Joe Biden took their kid's potato chips away. Public transit has gotten so bad here since 2002 that my experience had this happened to me in 2023 would be entirely different than it was then. There's no pathway to that kind of experience in most of the US anymore.

I did something similar and moved into a house. I still have good subway access and basically never use my car and even people in my neighborhood think it’s crazy that my car is basically new after owning it for years. They complain about the price of gas and I’m like “uh oh is it expensive now? huh?”

Most of them are boomers and about 30% CHUD and have lived here their whole lives. Between their cable, cell phones, and car habits some of them are dangerously broke. Which is hilarious when you hear that demographic poo poo talking young people on facebook.

They can’t imagine any lifestyle beyond driving all over the place and watching sitcoms all day.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really think many good things are on the horizon and I don't think anyone is coming over the hill to save us, and by "us" I mean humanity in general.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I don't really think many good things are on the horizon and I don't think anyone is coming over the hill to save us, and by "us" I mean humanity in general.

you don't know that!

though the united states pushing hard for open war with china is somewhat problematic

Apr 7, 2003

dioxazine posted:

you don't know that!

though the united states pushing hard for open war with china is somewhat problematic

The American 'middle class' would collapse overnight if freighters from China stopped coming. No rig pig is outfitting all of his kids with American-made shoes and clothes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Yeah man I come from bad places where you see the sausage being made, you’re denied opportunities that the majority takes for granted and are systematically prevented from even understanding your place in the world. When we’re all living in a Dickens novel schadenfreude will be the only thing that keeps me going.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's gonna be interesting seeing how the united states responds to losing global hegemony

Apr 7, 2003

we'll nuke everything on the way out rather than let anyone else inherit the earth, that's what the obviously suicidal saber rattling with China is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dioxazine posted:

you don't know that!

I don't think China is gonna save anyone either but they're probably gonna end up steering the ship for a while. Who knows, we'll probably blow the planet up before turning the keys over