Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
ENT theme belongs on an 80s sitcom
sorry not sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

ENT theme literally started out as a placeholder but stayed there because Berman liked Dad-Rock.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

ENT theme literally started out as a placeholder but stayed there because Berman liked Dad-Rock.

Not quite - the ENT placeholder they did the visuals to was Beautiful Day. If you play them together you can see them line up.

Berman just really wanted Faith of the Heart.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The DS9 theme song is good until they change it. Melancholy but dignified. It suits the show. That added beat, though…

I like the video concept as well but it’s just a bit boring. It seems like they were aiming for awe, but they didn’t hit it. I guess I would contrast it to the famous opening shot of Alien: the Nostromo is essentially the same kind of concept as DS9, an immense space refinery with a few people living somewhere inside it. And boy, do you feel that after that long-rear end shot. DS9 like all of 90s Trek has practical problems with representing scale. the Ent-D only rarely feels like the city-sized behemoth it’s supposed to be in the fluff. DS9 is supposedly even bigger but feels like a one-stoplight town with a nice main street. You rarely get a sense of its scope—part of what I like about “Civil Defense” is that for once the station really does feel like an enormous piece of repurposed industrial equipment. The exterior model though…I’m sure they did their best and were primarily just trying to get a bunch of footage they could repeatedly use for establishing shots, but they don’t succeed in making it look big or impressive in the way the Nostromo is, or even the deuterium refinery from last week’s SNW.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9's on-screen visual scale was always hosed too. It wasn't actually meant to be much bigger than the Enterprise-D. In theory the D just barely fits at the upper dock. (And it's all skeletal and most of it is docking and ore.) But they kept making it look much bigger on-screen so ships fit and didn't overwhelm it.

During season one DS9 has a population of about 300. By season three it's about 2000.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 24, 2023

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Voyager has the best intro and theme, followed closely by Strange New Worlds.

Enterprise has a good intro, but a horrible theme.

Lower Decks and Picard have ok intros and themes.

Discovery, TOS, and DS9 have a good theme, but a horrible intro.

TNG has the worse intro and theme of all of them.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I hosed this up and quoted my own post. Don't bother reading this. It's a waste of your time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Enterprise intro is actually extremely evocative of what the premise for the show was, but the main thing there is that the premise the show was designed for wasn't very good or very Star Trekky.

It's about being a prequel and how the show is going to be about some big milestones in human history (rather than the typical exploring outwardly that defines the franchise). The more "modern" (and dated) musical style really denotes how the show is planning to be a lot more modern and down to earth and actiony (and coincidentally most of the decisions they made in that direction made the show extremely dated). The theme purposely broke from Trek tradition because the show itself is trying to buck a lot of Trek tradition. And then the faith bit I guess connects with how Archer does seem like the most sanctimonious captain, his actions justified both from the innate value of the Earth and from the fact that everything he does will in theory lead to the rest of the franchise. He's a Great Man explorer pushing the boundaries with his special innate strength of soul.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMeYc5g1NI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Enterprise intro is actually extremely evocative of what the premise for the show was, but the main thing there is that the premise the show was designed for wasn't very good or very Star Trekky.

It's about being a prequel and how the show is going to be about some big milestones in human history (rather than the typical exploring outwardly that defines the franchise). The more "modern" (and dated) musical style really denotes how the show is planning to be a lot more modern and down to earth and actiony (and coincidentally most of the decisions they made in that direction made the show extremely dated). The theme purposely broke from Trek tradition because the show itself is trying to buck a lot of Trek tradition. And then the faith bit I guess connects with how Archer does seem like the most sanctimonious captain, his actions justified both from the innate value of the Earth and from the fact that everything he does will in theory lead to the rest of the franchise. He's a Great Man explorer pushing the boundaries with his special innate strength of soul.

Okay but the song sucks and is bad

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like Faith of the Heart, but if they just used Archer's theme for the intro it'd fit the rest of the series perfectly. And Archer's Theme is one of my fav bits of music from the series. Of the main themes as is though, gotta agree that Voyager's takes the prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsn2xVmVuGE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The opening visuals of DS9 would be more majestic if they didn't focus on an ugly fascist eyesore!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The opening visuals of DS9 would be more majestic if they didn't focus on an ugly fascist eyesore!

But we barely see the wormhole full of colonialist alien theocrats????

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAQ7gSATyU

Looking at this, its surprising that the TNG intro is about the same length, I guess it has the Picard narration at the start and the credits proper don't begin until like a minute in. The DS9 intro does feel a bit like it's paced for the start to have a voice over maybe...

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I suppose I have to plump for TOS just out of comfort and nostalgia, but the TNG intro is getting increasingly delightful to me. I just like watching the ship go whoosh, I REALLY like the big glory shot at the end of it rising up and blasting away. If I had a complaint about it, it's that ugly detuned timpani thumping in the theme. BING! BONG!

And on the subject of themes, you all have favourites? While I love Goldsmith's TMP score and I think you'd have to be crazy not to, James Horner's stuff has my whole heart. I know he did a lot of recycling of earlier work and Search For Spock is mostly just "more of the same, with more gusto", but goddamn, there's a part near the five minute mark of "Stealing The Enterprise" that manages to better convey what Goldsmith did in his "Enterprise" theme in all of about ten seconds. The janitor watching the stolen ship take off and the music sells it like; "THIS IS A loving HUGE GIANT THING, HOLY poo poo WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT."

But again, nostalgia. I think that shot is one of my earliest movie memories. That and the end of Superman III.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't have much of an opinion on Faith of the Heart because I don't think I've ever actually heard it. The Mirror Universe opening for Enterprise was pretty badass, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MuddyFunster posted:

I just like watching the ship go whoosh, I REALLY like the big glory shot at the end of it rising up and blasting away.

Best part is looking at the little people walking around.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Yes! Was genuinely delighted to learn in the S1 making of... that the little people moving about are just a simple hand drawn animation. It looks so natural, I'd assumed it was a filmed insert.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MuddyFunster posted:

I suppose I have to plump for TOS just out of comfort and nostalgia, but the TNG intro is getting increasingly delightful to me. I just like watching the ship go whoosh, I REALLY like the big glory shot at the end of it rising up and blasting away. If I had a complaint about it, it's that ugly detuned timpani thumping in the theme. BING! BONG!
Yeah, while Voyager's intro is probably the most interesting just as a piece on its own, in context as an opening to the show designed to get you pumped about watching the next episode, it's hard to beat TNG's. Even on bad episodes the orchestra going all DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN-DUN DUNNNNNNNN while the Enterprise zooms around will always make me go "gently caress yeah! Let's watch some Star Trek!"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The best is TNG and its not even close with any other contender.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't have much of an opinion on Faith of the Heart because I don't think I've ever actually heard it. The Mirror Universe opening for Enterprise was pretty badass, though.

It sounds like it was the lead single of a 90s Christian pop-rock band trying to make their break into mainstream radio.

(it's also an insidious earworm)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MuddyFunster posted:

And on the subject of themes, you all have favourites? While I love Goldsmith's TMP score and I think you'd have to be crazy not to, James Horner's stuff has my whole heart. I know he did a lot of recycling of earlier work and Search For Spock is mostly just "more of the same, with more gusto", but goddamn, there's a part near the five minute mark of "Stealing The Enterprise" that manages to better convey what Goldsmith did in his "Enterprise" theme in all of about ten seconds. The janitor watching the stolen ship take off and the music sells it like; "THIS IS A loving HUGE GIANT THING, HOLY poo poo WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT."

But again, nostalgia. I think that shot is one of my earliest movie memories. That and the end of Superman III.

For general music in the shows, TNG really suffers once they lose Ron Jones. His scores like The Borg Engaged add so much and I hate the trend for music within an episode to fade away and not be important.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I guess they had to work deep sea into their exploration theme but the CGI submersible 35 seconds into the ENT intro looks like poo poo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MuddyFunster posted:

Generations is the most underrated score IMO, I assume because it's attached to a very unloved movie, but it was Dennis McCarthy's one shot at the big time and I think he really pulled it off.
And since we were just talking about it, I feel obligated to once again post this allegedly unused version of the Enterprise intro with the Generations overture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWgU1fj3nM

TMP is probably my pick for the "best" score overall, in terms of just being like, an all-time great, legendary work of art. James Horner's scores do have a bit more pep though. ST6 also had a great one-off score by Cliff Eidelman. Really, the whole franchise has always been blessed with great music, especially on the film side.

Regarding the TOS theme, it's nice, but its original arrangement is pretty hard to swallow. I like when it gets called-back in a few of the movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

ENT theme belongs on an 80s sitcom
sorry not sorry

3&4 it sounds like a 90s sitcom. Which is funny because s3 is a war crimes horrorshow so you'd have some dark cold open and then smash cut to Star Trek: Friends

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched “The First Duty”

Love that scene when Picard just gets all up in Wesley’s rear end over covering up the Kolvoord Starburst.

It’s a great combination of Picard doing the “I’m deeply disappointed in you, son” thing which then escalates into a very harshly-worded rebuke, one that’s delivered at maximum volume.

Humbling and also extremely intimidating. Stewart was so great in this show.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
On this week's Star Trek: Enterprise, everything sucks and Jonathan Archer's just committed his fourth war crime before breakfast.

*cue strummy guitar* "I've got faaaaith of the heart..." :D

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fighting Trousers posted:

On this week's Star Trek: Enterprise, everything sucks and Jonathan Archer's just committed his fourth war crime before breakfast.

*cue strummy guitar* "I've got faaaaith of the heart..." :D

The best one was S3’s Extinction, where the happy-go-lucky rendition of the theme was immediately preceded by an alien getting burned to death via a flamethrower while screaming horribly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

3&4 it sounds like a 90s sitcom. Which is funny because s3 is a war crimes horrorshow so you'd have some dark cold open and then smash cut to Star Trek: Friends

There's a whole little youtube subgenre of redoing show credits to fit the theme song from Friends. The DS9 one is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_Wzssx4iA

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

But we barely see the wormhole full of colonialist alien theocrats????

Okay, this set me spinning. First of, we don't see the Dominion for the first few seasons, so...

But knowing that you refer to the prophets: calling them theocrats is so linear. The idea that they just did whatever for fun on Bajor and then DS9 happened is the least fun reading of the prophets being the prophets. What you really should have is the events of DS9 rippling back through time to shape Bajor's past, including the Sisko trying to get the prophets to understand.
And that's the Nu-Trek I want: David Lynch or similar, preferably high as gently caress, telling the nonlinear story of Ben in the Wormhole. I look forward to the big oopsie that results in the caste system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BonHair posted:

I look forward to the big oopsie that results in the caste system.

it's the bell riots

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I once saw a video that used Life is a Highway for Enterprise and that worked surprisingly well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Actual Satan posted:

Voyager has the best intro and theme, followed closely by Strange New Worlds.

Enterprise has a good intro, but a horrible theme.

Lower Decks and Picard have ok intros and themes.

Discovery, TOS, and DS9 have a good theme, but a horrible intro.

TNG has the worse intro and theme of all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGf7tgoiBrg

Missed one.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Okay, I was complaining about the out of tune timpani in the TNG theme, but now I'm starting an episode and it's... Not. It all sounds pretty good actually!

Did they redo the theme between the first two seasons? I'm irritated that it's taken me this long to notice.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I guess they had to work deep sea into their exploration theme but the CGI submersible 35 seconds into the ENT intro looks like poo poo

lmao I think that was a real sub

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

. I look forward to the big oopsie that results in the caste system.

The wormhole aliens also have a caste system, and they exile the lower caste (the ones with red coloration) to the worst place they can imagine, Bajor.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Never saw it but that looks pretty dope, especially when they go into superwarp

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Actual Satan posted:

Never saw it but that looks pretty dope, especially when they go into superwarp

You missed what was probably the best Trek show ever outside of Strange New Worlds before Paramount erased it for a tax kickback. Get a good VPN and pirate it because it's worth the watch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

lmao I think that was a real sub
Submarines tend to be very low-polygon in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Submarines tend to be very low-polygon in real life

Its as if having all the cool angles and non-round shapes would make the pressure chamber not to withstand the pressure of the ocean.