Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
hate how gallo sullied the name of sperm sale ads

let's kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
"I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than 'The Brown Bunny.'"

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Then Roger Ebert gave the recut version of The Brown Bunny a good review and it felt like a victory lap on his part.

Having thoroughly clowned on Gallo multiple times by that point, I suppose Ebert pitied him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
roger ebert pwned

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rob Schneider took out an ad to insult some movie critic for not winning a Pulitzer after he panned one of Schneider's films. Ebert, who had won a Pulitzer, finished his review of the same film by declaring "Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Tenkaris posted:

When I see 2 used this way, I wish I thought of 2 fast 2 furious, but I don't

I think of

What the gently caress I was thinking of this movie yesterday. Isn't the kids name cat piss?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It stinks!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

roger ebert pwned

Paladinus posted:

It stinks!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

When I see 2 used this way, I wish I thought of 2 fast 2 furious, but I don't

I think of

strong memories of breaking the vcr with this and getting in trouble for losing the movie and the vcr

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

roger ebert pwned

he was anti-gamer....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

he was anti-gamer....

The gamers deserved it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked when the 90s american godzilla movie put parodies of siskel and ebert in it and ebert's response was 'if you're gonna put us in the movie, why didn't you have godzilla eat us?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doubly funny because they made a spinoff cartoon of it and since the ebert character was the mayor and he was still alive by the end, he had to be in the cartoon

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Buschmaki posted:

he was anti-gamer....

the question “are video games art” belies a flawed premise. categorical conversations about ephemeral concepts are extremely stupid. But he wasnt an art critic, he was a film critic, and in that way he was myopic.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I remember the first time I saw that movie I kept leaning over to whisper predictions to my friends and kept getting them right because it was so formulaic even a child who had almost no exposure to Godzilla movies could guess every plot point.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

doubly funny because they made a spinoff cartoon of it and since the ebert character was the mayor and he was still alive by the end, he had to be in the cartoon

lmao

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Video games aren't art and neither are films

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

the question “are video games art” belies a flawed premise. categorical conversations about ephemeral concepts are extremely stupid. But he wasnt an art critic, he was a film critic, and in that way he was myopic.

tbf bioshock infinite came out AFTER his death. pretty eery

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Video games aren't art and neither are films

Rog’ posted:

I allow Sangtiago the last word. Toward the end of her presentation, she shows a visual with six circles, which represent, I gather, the components now forming for her brave new world of video games as art. The circles are labeled: Development, Finance, Publishing, Marketing, Education, and Executive Management. I rest my case.

Sounds like movies to me

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Stories are art, music is art, graphics are art, games sure do contain a lot of art to not be allowed to be considered art

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the combination is less than the sum of its parts

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Like a really well crafted poo poo sandwich

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sounds like movies to me

And yeah, in the end the business aspects corrupt many games and films that come out, but then some of them ARE genuine and so drat good you consider them art

He was a silly guy who couldn't see how parallel these things are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people were trying to show ebert shadow of the colossus and bioshock and not rpgmaker games made by one suicidal chinese guy. itd be like if ebert was a games critic and you tried to convince him movies are art by showing him brother bear 2 and epic movie

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
People don't understand that most things created by humans are art, it's just there is a lot of art that is bad and unoriginal.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tenkaris posted:

Stories are art, music is art, graphics are art, games sure do contain a lot of art to not be allowed to be considered art

Combat was called an art before any of us even had these conversations; categorizing things as art or not art is a fools errand.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

art is short for "artifice". if it's a made or arranged thing, it's art. if it's not, it's paul.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
art is when the president of the united states grabs Raiden's nuts

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

I remember the first time I saw that movie I kept leaning over to whisper predictions to my friends and kept getting them right because it was so formulaic even a child who had almost no exposure to Godzilla movies could guess every plot point.

*Whispering to girlfriend* That's godzilla

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
trying to convince ebert video games are art and showing him some triple a nonsense and not final fantasy 7

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

art is short for "artifice". if it's a made or arranged thing, it's art. if it's not, it's paul.

I’d like to introduce you to Madison WI mainstay Art Paul who is definitely both

https://youtu.be/s6hftqNg6o8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

treating the big video game tits as something to be embarrassed about and guide him away from and not something hed get hyped up for

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tenkaris posted:

If a grocery store contains jelly, would you call it a donut

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mr ebert sir... prepare for the citizen kane of gaming (presents to roger eberts ghost the cringe sex scene from last of us 2)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

trying to convince ebert video games are art and showing him some triple a nonsense and not final fantasy 7

Ebert: how can this be a game, this cannot possibly fit on a cartridge. It must take $1200 worth!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Endorph posted:

people were trying to show ebert shadow of the colossus and bioshock and not rpgmaker games made by one suicidal chinese guy. itd be like if ebert was a games critic and you tried to convince him movies are art by showing him brother bear 2 and epic movie

I remember Bioshock being kind of the first vanguard of the "games are art" movement in the late 2000s and looking back on it man that's embarrassing. I played the remastered version in 2021 and while it's an alright FPS with light RPG elements with decent writing for 2007 (at least as far as the criticism of Ayn Rand goes) it's absolutely not what I would prop up for games-as-art.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Heath posted:

If a grocery store contains jelly, would you call it a donut

Yes absolutely glad you got the point

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwda1t8MN0

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gamers are obsessed with games being art and every generation they latch onto the most one with the most shallow and pretentious writing and ignore indie games or whatever nintendo is making in the process this generations was the last of us 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

treating the big video game tits as something to be embarrassed about and guide him away from and not something hed get hyped up for

Yeah all gamers had to do was show him the latest advancements in jiggle physics and they'd have had their staunchest ally in mainstream media