Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haha what posted:

for any old jerma heads out there, he's playing TF2 with Ster (STAR_) right now!!

https://twitch.tv/jerma985

Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's my fav of them too. Would assume that was the common perspective, it has the most levels and variety of challenges. The first game feels like it ends really fast. I also like the little secret things to try and catch in We Heart Katamari, though kind of don't remember if the original had any or not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's weird, almost feel like WLK is harder for me- might be the difficulty spikes like you said.

That or the game passive-aggressively shitalking you if you don't roll perfectly

But it's usually good if the "difficulty" is going back and getting a better score/finding everything and it'll let you just clear stuff relatively easily if you want so that's probably also a point in its favor

gently caress you, Space Dad!

King of the Cosmos is much nicer in WLK compared to the original game, omg he is so mean in that one. But I like how the sequel turns the table on him and has a backstory about how his own father was really awful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

if you accidentally put out the fire katamari he'll bring that energy right back

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

star_

funny guy

made these good vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwBG2Dtpmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2jnbaNfkso

classic star_

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
crazy to me that jerma is the one who got a huge internet following because back when those two were mostly known for being two buds posting tf2 videos together on youtube, star was the way more popular of the two

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

King of the Cosmos is much nicer in WLK compared to the original game, omg he is so mean in that one. But I like how the sequel turns the table on him and has a backstory about how his own father was really awful.

Idk, anything less than a perfect high score result and he is pretty harsh, makes me consider those runs a fail.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

crazy to me that jerma is the one who got a huge internet following because back when those two were mostly known for being two buds posting tf2 videos together on youtube, star was the way more popular of the two

For sure. Star_ was good at video games, Jerma was bad at those games but in an entertaining way, so he kinda came off as Star_'s goofy sidekick. Then Star_ fell off a bit, I think when he decided to pivot to Overwatch, and Jerma just kept going from strength to strength.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only time I've gotten timed out in jerma chat was when I said "ster is cringe"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dabir posted:

For sure. Star_ was good at video games, Jerma was bad at those games but in an entertaining way, so he kinda came off as Star_'s goofy sidekick. Then Star_ fell off a bit, I think when he decided to pivot to Overwatch, and Jerma just kept going from strength to strength.

part of it is that Star_ also just became disillusioned with the youtube "content creator" existence. i think he talked about how he just didn't want to upload the 99th similar gameplay video with no new creative ideas in it, even though it was still super popular and getting tons of views.
he cut back massively and started only doing edited scripted videos like that sweet genius one above, which was probably good for his creative soul but terrible for his algorithmic popularity.
meanwhile jerma started streaming on twitch which kind of the complete opposite direction from that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

American Dad posted:

Veeg, I've been watching your chrono trigger playthrough on YouTube and the second last stream is missing :(

It might be accidentally set to private! I will check when I get home. Many apologies, I am not good with youtubes.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dabir posted:

Star_ was also actually funny unlike Jerma. :v:

It was a bit of a bummer when he stopped doing vids but I respected the decision a lot when he put out the vids explaining why. It's not an easy thing to introspect and realize something isn't clicking with you anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't believe Xehanort controls twitter now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still aware jerma and now I guess star are both elaborate goon pranks. Either some obscure real streamer they plucked from the 2 viewers zone or some goon like videogames with a cover story. Tbh I think the prank would be better if y'all picked a name someone outside this thread might actually ever encounter.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

theyre funny and i like watching them not sure what youre talking about

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

haha what posted:

theyre funny and i like watching them not sure what youre talking about

It's Khanstant. Being miserable and negative about literally everything is sorta their thing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Except cloacas.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Big streamers I don't watch but are around enough for me to remember their name on way or the other: xcqxc, PewDiePie, dream, doctor divorced demento, AOC, anime girl with shark hat, kripparian, pokimane, disguised toast, FPS Doug, Dark Side Phil

Edit: I got 3 of the top 10, i'm ready for The Chase

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez streams videogames!?!

Edit: holy poo poo, I thought that was a joke, she actually does? :psyduck:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
She likes DK64 it’s why she’ll never be president

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
AOC is the only reason why I know what a full game of among us looks like lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez streams videogames!?!

Edit: holy poo poo, I thought that was a joke, she actually does? :psyduck:

she's one of the proud members of the united states government that openly plays league of legends, with her favorite champs being, iirc, miss fortune and morgana

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hatty posted:

She likes DK64 it’s why she’ll never be president

But does she know how to beat Beaver Bother

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good lord I am very out of touch with the modern zeitgeist. I guess the big difference between me and Abe Simpson is that I was never with whatever "it" was to begin with.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been idly watching playthroughs of shenmues 1 & 2, and i feel qualified to say that lol they're such bad games, so much wasted "ambition"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I've been idly watching playthroughs of shenmues 1 & 2, and i feel qualified to say that lol they're such bad games, so much wasted "ambition"

shenmue 1 and 2 were trying to break ground into a genre space no one had really figured out yet (open world brawler with light life sim elements), so i'm deeply forgiving of their rough edges

shenmue 3, though, hoo boy

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vermain posted:

she's one of the proud members of the united states government that openly plays league of legends, with her favorite champs being, iirc, miss fortune and morgana

Meanwhile, Senator Chuck Grassley is somehow accidentally a league of legends player, mistaking it for a regularly scheduled meeting with the Corn lobby.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Life Sims are cool and good. People who think Shenmue is bad don't get it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vermain posted:

shenmue 1 and 2 were trying to break ground into a genre space no one had really figured out yet (open world brawler with light life sim elements), so i'm deeply forgiving of their rough edges

shenmue 3, though, hoo boy

Okay Suzuki, this is a once in a lifetime chance and potentially your only shot at making another Shenmue game. You should probably make some big moves in the plot.

Suzuki: Filler arc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Forgot how insanely good Spider-Man Remastered is.

Even the usual collect-a-thon crap is fun, cause you're Spider-man :spidey:

Def gonna go for a 100% run

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Dunno how well Shen1 would hold up today if I played it again 20 years later but I remember being enthralled by the little digital fake 80s Japanese town the first time around

The horrible English VA might just carry me through another playthrough some day

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

They're good actually

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Forgot how insanely good Spider-Man Remastered is.

Even the usual collect-a-thon crap is fun, cause you're Spider-man :spidey:

Def gonna go for a 100% run

Dude that game shook off like a decade of accumulated antidisney antimarvel barnacles to remind me I used to download any and every spiderman comic I could from IRC because spiderman is just good cool fun. Swinging around the city itself is fun I don't even mind when I try to go to some objective and end up on the other side of the map, oh well, guess I'll have to zip around some more. It's also a pretty charming iteration of spiderman and co, I liked this Peter, May, MJ, and hell they did good with the villains too, and Miles slotted in nicely. Also the game having so many cool costumes, all of them just included in the game and able to be acquired from doing game stuff, nice surprise because I'd expect them to try and do mtx tricks to get those.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would challenge the “shenmue is good” goons to play them again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue is a game I wouldn't expect anybody to like, but also, those people are wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dunno how well Shen1 would hold up today if I played it again 20 years later but I remember being enthralled by the little digital fake 80s Japanese town the first time around

The horrible English VA might just carry me through another playthrough some day

a lot of older classics are replayment roughies after decades of genre refinement and technology changes. like, dark souls 1 was a genuine classic and a significant RE4-level influence on the modern gaming landscape, but playing it today feels like you're slowly driving a person-shaped shopping cart around while enemies swing at you with all the speed and ferocity of a sliding door at a mall

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

American Dad posted:

Veeg, I've been watching your chrono trigger playthrough on YouTube and the second last stream is missing :(

It turns out it was accidentally set to private! I fixed it :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

I would challenge the “shenmue is good” goons to play them again

I played them both again when the ports came out in 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

rip

Did you enjoy the mandatory forklift race every morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes