Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I actually quite like using the Nephandi - they're a big part of my planned plot. But I also like having the Craftmasons still exist in secret as a counterforce locked in a terminal conflict with the Ksirafai and their own worst impulses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

I broadly agree. I think a lot of it could've been avoided by presenting the Traditions as purely political blocs of often radically distinct groups, which the Revised books did their best on but really needed to be baked in from the start. Its part of why I've got the Scots 'Euthanatos' in here - they don't consider themselves Euthanatos, the Euthanatos barely recognize them as legitimate, the Choristers are very much uneasy about the 'I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes. Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon them' vibe, and so while they're broadly understood as part of the Council they're not really comfortably anywhere. I have a few more I can ramble on about too for the same effect of this idea that the real unifying factor of the Nine Traditions is actually that they're just shifting alliances of convenience in an ongoing struggle for resources, power, and security.

Re-reading the Revised Euthanatos that sort of thing is perfect for them as the only thing that really unites that particular Tradition is a vague idea of the Good Death and nobody really wanting to hang out with spooky death mages other than spooky death mages. You can boil down Etherites and the Adepts into very broad 'hardware' and 'software' and both of those outfits were barely coherent to start with. (In a way that kind of amuses me you could almost do the same comparison about the Verbena and Dreamspeakers.)

The trend, for lack of a better term, feels like Jess Heinig's influence on the line because it went away - and the line really went downhill - after he left for whatever reason, although Malcom Sheppard's work along those lines certainly didn't hurt. Revised AB and Euthanatos are both really good. At one point they talked about Christian Verbena but I honestly can't find the source so I may have just made it up but I would swear to seeing it.

Mage-related, I am unduly irritated by the Chantry background in M20. If you're going to give pool ratings, give some creation rules. They talk about the ones from The Book of Chantries but that's one of the first books for the game - I think maybe even like the third book - but also not to use those.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Re-reading the Revised Euthanatos that sort of thing is perfect for them as the only thing that really unites that particular Tradition is a vague idea of the Good Death and nobody really wanting to hang out with spooky death mages other than spooky death mages. You can boil down Etherites and the Adepts into very broad 'hardware' and 'software' and both of those outfits were barely coherent to start with. (In a way that kind of amuses me you could almost do the same comparison about the Verbena and Dreamspeakers.)

The trend, for lack of a better term, feels like Jess Heinig's influence on the line because it went away - and the line really went downhill - after he left for whatever reason, although Malcom Sheppard's work along those lines certainly didn't hurt. Revised AB and Euthanatos are both really good. At one point they talked about Christian Verbena but I honestly can't find the source so I may have just made it up but I would swear to seeing it.

Mage-related, I am unduly irritated by the Chantry background in M20. If you're going to give pool ratings, give some creation rules. They talk about the ones from The Book of Chantries but that's one of the first books for the game - I think maybe even like the third book - but also not to use those.

The chantry creation rules in Book of Chantries are wack, and specifically the overly complicated number crunchy version of the rules.

And yes it was the third book released for 1e :eng101:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I'm guessing the book is trying to convey they're more motivated to fight the Technocracy* but it's not like the Traditions as portrayed are any less so, so it really does feel like Brucato read a book about Polynesian religious practices and wanted to make a Craft out of it although I do think most of the Disparates are pulled from elsewhere in the game line.

*And boy howdy does Phil go hard on 'The Technocracy has been corrupted by the Nephandi' which is... fine, I guess, but very boring.

Listen, this capitalism stuff? It's fine. In fact, it's good. Except, a shadowy cabal of malefactors has corrupted it from within. We just have to find and root them out and things will be swell. The interdimensional fiend-mancers, we gotta get 'em.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Rand Brittain posted:

Also if you try to explain what the Disparates are doing right that the Traditions are doing wrong, it's hard to come up with an answer that's not "the author decided he liked them better."
Listen, the first draft of this 20th-anniversary celebration of the line for long-time fans didn’t revolve around me and my ideas that are way more gooder enough, whenever the Disparates aren’t on screen the Traditions should be asking “Where are the Disparates?”

Also if you write bad guys into your adventure you’re literally doing devil magic by thinking about it, this is different from what crazy people said during the Satanic Panic because

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would make sense to me if the various Traditions, caught between the Scylla of the rising Technocracy and the Charbydis of the Hermetics doing their thing, gained some degree of artificial ecumenical unity in order to avoid getting either wiped out or glommed into Ex Miscellanea. So you might have had four or five distinct holy-magic-of-the-LORD small-t Traditions which glommed together into the modern Chorus, et cetera.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

It would make sense to me if the various Traditions, caught between the Scylla of the rising Technocracy and the Charbydis of the Hermetics doing their thing, gained some degree of artificial ecumenical unity in order to avoid getting either wiped out or glommed into Ex Miscellanea. So you might have had four or five distinct holy-magic-of-the-LORD small-t Traditions which glommed together into the modern Chorus, et cetera.

Honestly that's what the early Revisted Tradbooks present the Traditions as. Like in the Euthanatos you a collection of groups with influences from the Celts, Greece, India and the African continent among other weirder groups and none of them with much to do with the other save very broad strokes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, we have the Technocracy to thank for pretty much every modern Tradition, because there's no need to consolidate into a global organization except to fight a global threat. Even the Order of Hermes has absorbed a bunch of subsidiary schools and cults into itself in the course of adapting to the modern era.

This is one of the many reasons that the "they're just as bad, they want to return us to the dark ages" fearmongering about the Traditions is baseless. How and why would they do that when they didn't even exist then? They're a more recent development than the Technocracy is!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, we have the Technocracy to thank for pretty much every modern Tradition, because there's no need to consolidate into a global organization except to fight a global threat. Even the Order of Hermes has absorbed a bunch of subsidiary schools and cults into itself in the course of adapting to the modern era.

This is one of the many reasons that the "they're just as bad, they want to return us to the dark ages" fearmongering about the Traditions is baseless. How and why would they do that when they didn't even exist then? They're a more recent development than the Technocracy is!
Well, not the Order of Hermes. :v: As always, it's their fault.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I blame the Solificati.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

I blame the Solificati.

Now a charter member of the Disparates under their Children of Knowledge handle.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

Well, not the Order of Hermes. :v: As always, it's their fault.

I put "even the Order of Hermes" into my post to head off this exact response!

They've Katamari'd up a bunch of rival or unrelated occult conspiracies, and, even if they hadn't, you couldn't call them the same group that was lurking around remote towers in the middle ages any more than you could call the modern Republican Party the same institution it was in 1854.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I put "even the Order of Hermes" into my post to head off this exact response!

They've Katamari'd up a bunch of rival or unrelated occult conspiracies, and, even if they hadn't, you couldn't call them the same group that was lurking around remote towers in the middle ages any more than you could call the modern Republican Party the same institution it was in 1854.
Unfortunately, my posting paradigm requires me to center the negative role played by Hermetics in all plausible situations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Well, that's why the Republican party is such an apt example--

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Unfortunately, my posting paradigm requires me to center the negative role played by Hermetics in all plausible situations.

The correct paradigm. gently caress them hermetic dorks.

Hollow Ones best tradition :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Hollow Ones best tradition :colbert:

They lead the Disparates! :allears:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

They lead the Disparates! :allears:

BRUCATO:argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Revised Etherites for the win.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Folks, we all know which mystic organization is the real protagonist of Mage: the Ascension: the Pentacle, whose shadow war against the Seers of the Throne is the hidden mainspring of the apparent Traditions/Technocracy conflict.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Don't make me get the spray bottle, Ferrinus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They are also amusingly called 'Darklings' half the time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Revised Etherites for the win.

I don't know how it aged, but I remember loving it back in the day.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Don't make me get the spray bottle, Ferrinus.

This is basically the substance of every forbidden dream the Gate whispers through

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I don't know how it aged, but I remember loving it back in the day.

I dusted it off for a game of M20 recently and fell in love all over again. Game was set in Detroit so I went with a black garage owner, comes from a family heavily invested in the civil rights battle, he's trying to make his neighborhood better and hopes to make ecologically friendly cars acceptable to the consensus. I wanted to get the pov character from the book as a contact.

Unfortunately game is on hiatus for now.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I think the most interesting thing about the Disparates is the notion that these small groups are Really loving Annoyed that the sorting hat shoved them in the wrong groups. The Ngomo as a whole got shunted into the Dreamspeakers because "oh hey they talk with spirits too!" when they're closer to High Ritual magic like the Hermetics. They're presented as being more focused on their own identity/focuses. Other than that they're mostly silly since, as mentioned by others, they're just Our Traditions Are Different.

They did let me play a Solicati gutterpunk vaping alchemical fumes in his resperator as he spraypainted his way through the streets of London without needing to figure out all the fancy titles that the Hermetics used.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would just have the Traditions be explicitly style based. Hermetic, Religious, Technomantic, etc. Then have cabals and factions and favoured Spheres tied to those styles - some more than one! And of course some factions are like "actually all Hermetic traditions spring from The Order Of Hermes", or "all Religious mages draw their power from The Actual One True God (mine)" but that's just their opinion, man. So splat books would be explorations of those different schools of thought, as well as pre-built cabals (both important and minor) that you could plug into your games or ignore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Messy politics with magic involved can be a lot of fun. It can be tricky actually playing that through and reconciling it though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would just have the Traditions be explicitly style based. Hermetic, Religious, Technomantic, etc. Then have cabals and factions and favoured Spheres tied to those styles - some more than one! And of course some factions are like "actually all Hermetic traditions spring from The Order Of Hermes", or "all Religious mages draw their power from The Actual One True God (mine)" but that's just their opinion, man. So splat books would be explorations of those different schools of thought, as well as pre-built cabals (both important and minor) that you could plug into your games or ignore.
I think a lot of the issue is that the Nine Mystick Traditions were clearly designed with the Hermetics first and then everybody else. Fair enough if you're going to use the Hermetics as your baseline but all that poo poo be sprawling. You could probably cut it down to five or six Traditions with sub-splat affinity groups, like Garou Camps, if you actually grew up from 'magical style, possibly influenced by historical region.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of the issue is that the Nine Mystick Traditions were clearly designed with the Hermetics first and then everybody else. Fair enough if you're going to use the Hermetics as your baseline but all that poo poo be sprawling. You could probably cut it down to five or six Traditions with sub-splat affinity groups, like Garou Camps, if you actually grew up from 'magical style, possibly influenced by historical region.'

Also it feels like at least Hollow Ones and Verbena were both made with an eye towards "we've found these subcultures like our games." Which is fine, but I think it explains why they've always come off the worst, especially the Verbena. Verbena have always needed something like a Sheppard splatbook. The Revised book is... okay, I guess, aside from weird bits like the aforementioned part of the Tradition giving rise to Nazi Germany as was the style at the time, but there's nothing in there that makes me want to play them so it fails the Chupp Test.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Verbena are good as a vernacular magic fellowship but now you’re including a ton of stuff. And this is before you even think about Asian or African magicians.

Logically speaking there should be a lot of conjure men and voudoun in the group then, but the up front branding is so dang Wiccan.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

You could probably cut it down to five or six Traditions with sub-splat affinity groups, like Garou Camps, if you actually grew up from 'magical style, possibly influenced by historical region.'

Yeah exactly this. A descriptive rather than prescriptive approach.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

The Verbena are good as a vernacular magic fellowship but now you’re including a ton of stuff. And this is before you even think about Asian or African magicians.

Logically speaking there should be a lot of conjure men and voudoun in the group then, but the up front branding is so dang Wiccan.

We could simply solve this problem by not having got drat wizards in the goth elf game series.

:colbert:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You'd have your 'magic as science' group, which posits that magic works through formula, ingredients, and rituals/recipes/procedures/whatever. Order of Hermes chanting Latin and rubbing fur on amber to make a lightning bolt or Technocrat using an app to detonate a near by connected power relay, whatever.

You'd have your 'magic as sacrifice' group, which posits that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The sacrifice might be small and symbolic, or it might be a life for a life. Verbena is the classic example.

You'd have your 'magic as spirits' group, where all magic is brought about through asking, imploring, negotiating, demanding, or controlling something to do something. Dreamspeakers, Celestial Chorus, etc.

You'd have your 'magic as internal power' group, which channels magic as extensions of themselves. Akashics, psychics, Scanners, whatever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if these are joke posts describing Awakening or not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't ascension tie spheres to traditions as well? So if you wanted to be the best forces mage ever you had to be the forces tradition even if that didn't mesh with your character concept?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Didn't ascension tie spheres to traditions as well? So if you wanted to be the best forces mage ever you had to be the forces tradition even if that didn't mesh with your character concept?

You get by default a starting point in the "pet" sphere of the tradition, but that's it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Each tradition got a "free" dot in their preferred sphere. Which again is something that I'd keep for the Technocracy but toss out for a Traditions rework.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Even the Technocrats had subgroups. So a neuro cybernetic surgeon in Iteration X might have Life or Mind instead of Forces. And of course you can learn anything— other than the Techno variant spheres. Which I thought were a good direction for making groups distinct.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YggdrasilTM posted:

You get by default a starting point in the "pet" sphere of the tradition, but that's it.

And to M20's mild credit, they expanded the choice to two so you (probably) aren't locked into a Sphere you didn't want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TheCenturion posted:

You'd have your 'magic as science' group, which posits that magic works through formula, ingredients, and rituals/recipes/procedures/whatever. Order of Hermes chanting Latin and rubbing fur on amber to make a lightning bolt or Technocrat using an app to detonate a near by connected power relay, whatever.

You'd have your 'magic as sacrifice' group, which posits that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The sacrifice might be small and symbolic, or it might be a life for a life. Verbena is the classic example.

You'd have your 'magic as spirits' group, where all magic is brought about through asking, imploring, negotiating, demanding, or controlling something to do something. Dreamspeakers, Celestial Chorus, etc.

You'd have your 'magic as internal power' group, which channels magic as extensions of themselves. Akashics, psychics, Scanners, whatever.

Which group'd be "magic as getting higher than anyone ever has before"?